Mrt To Suspend Escalator Service During Daytime To Help Save Energy

lomatopo

MRT to suspend escalator service during daytime to help save energy

BANGKOK, 20 March 2013 (NNT) – The capital’s underground train operator is scheduled to suspend parts of its escalator services during a certain period of the day for 3 months in a bid to help save energy.

Ms. Rachanee Tripipatkul, the Committee Chairman of Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand (MRTA) revealed on Tuesday that MRTA and Bangkok Metro Public Company Limited (BMCL), which operates the underground train service in Bangkok, have decided to collaborate and join in the government’s call for power conservation.

In doing so, both resolved to implement a temporary suspension of escalator services at all underground train stations from 9.30 am to 4.30 pm during April 1 and June 30.

Ms. Rachanee stated that 70-80 of existing 200 escalators will be chosen for the temporary suspension.

MRTA and BMCL expect the initiative will save a sizable portion of the electricity bill, estimated at around 1 million baht per day.

BMCL President Chaiwat Utaiwan said that, since the underground train service began in 2004, the number of commuters has grown consistently to approximately 260,000 per day, while it is predicted that the passenger number will grow further by 10% this year

Mr. Chaiwat added that BMCL is making about 6 million baht each day.

In addition, he said MRTA will adjust up parking fee at all of its properties, including the parking building and every parking area, to 15 baht for 2 hours for MRT commuters and to 40 baht per hour for non-commuters.

However, the rate will be 50 baht per hour for those who park at Phetchaburi, Sukhumvit and Queen Sirikit National Convention Center stations.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-03-20 footer_n.gif

I think certain people know more than is being let on presently, IMHO this is just damage control for the upcoming fiasco that will ensue when Burma switches the gas off on the 5th of April.

I don't believe for a second that they just dreamed this up as a nice power saving idea. Window dressing at best.

• Like 2

Hopefully it will only be the down elevators. The ups are essential for elderly, arthritic sufferers and people with bags/luggage. Let's see but I have to concur, this is all about money and sweet FA to do with saving electricity.

What on earth is a 'down elevator' ?

Hopefully it will only be the down elevators. The ups are essential for elderly, arthritic sufferers and people with bags/luggage. Let's see but I have to concur, this is all about money and sweet FA to do with saving electricity.

cheesy.gif

Thinking about it 9am-4pm . . That's usually when peak energy is used typically right? (I am guessing here) . . They could shut it down at any time and still save the same amount of money, because electricity is charged at a constant rate right? So 9am-4pm is not rush hour and seems like a good idea. Can't do it before 9am as that's rush hour people going to work and 4-8 is probably considered rush hour commuting home, after 8pm is another possibility. Maybe shift to turn off for few hours in the middle of the day and then a few after the evening rush hour.

I happen to think it is a good idea. I can't believe the trolls that complain about every little god damn thing on TV. Some accuse the MRT of trying to save money! OMG, what a terrible thing for a business to do!!!! Then others are complaining about the disabled that already use ELEVATORS. Just can't win with the Bitter Betty's on here. Who care's what the real motives are, there will me a major decrease in energy consumption, which is good for Thailand and the PLANET!

They aren't turning off every escalator just the ones not used much. I know there are plenty of stations on that line that probably do not see that much traffic during the middle of the day and thus reducing the need.

Thinking about it 9am-4pm . . That's usually when peak energy is used typically right? (I am guessing here) . . They could shut it down at any time and still save the same amount of money, because electricity is charged at a constant rate right? So 9am-4pm is not rush hour and seems like a good idea. Can't do it before 9am as that's rush hour people going to work and 4-8 is probably considered rush hour commuting home, after 8pm is another possibility. Maybe shift to turn off for few hours in the middle of the day and then a few after the evening rush hour.

I happen to think it is a good idea. I can't believe the trolls that complain about every little god damn thing on TV. Some accuse the MRT of trying to save money! OMG, what a terrible thing for a business to do!!!! Then others are complaining about the disabled that already use ELEVATORS. Just can't win with the Bitter Betty's on here. Who care's what the real motives are, there will me a major decrease in energy consumption, which is good for Thailand and the PLANET!

They aren't turning off every escalator just the ones not used much. I know there are plenty of stations on that line that probably do not see that much traffic during the middle of the day and thus reducing the need.

There are still a lot of people commuting around 9 am and at lunch time as well. I am not sure if there are many folks who like to take the stairs for example at Huay Khwang station as some stairs have like 100 steps.

On the side note, you made an excellent point about business. But it is important to remember that one of the core priorities of any business is to value customers and get the best customer satisfaction as if customers are not content with the service provided, they can just look for other ways to get what they need. As a result, companies make money servicing customers to cater their needs. I don't think commuters require less escalator service.

One way to help save energy is using escalators that shut down when nobody is on them. I think that's even more effective as it can be applied all the time, and not just for like two months. Plus, even during rush hours, they can stop running for maybe 1 minute as the frequency of the trains is about 3 minutes during rush hours, so the time people disperse up the escalators may allow the one minute stop.

Additionally, if MRT wants to make more profits, they still have fare option as a leverage that they can increase whenever they want.

Don't the authorities "at be" realize that many people cannot handle climbing all of those stairs??? I must admit a few years a go this daily jogger of 18 years would have be glad to run up the stairs, but now with my bad knees (not jogging anymore) I need to take the escalator because when I climb steep steps 3-4 times a day, I start to get an inflamed knee. My condition is not serioius but I think of the elderly that cannot climb all those steps. I suppose one can use elevators, but they do not always work.

Next, what city around the city does not have escalators working for their underground trains?

When it is hottest is the time you need the escalator most.

Sure stairs are great cardio, if you have the health for it,

If not... Over-heated and struggling on a long staircase

In the hot afternoon sun, is a fast way to a heart attack.

This is a deadly idea, made by a fool trying to save face.

Not making a deal with the Myanmar gov. to moderate

the power outage would have made more sense,

but I guess they have burned that bridge, but can't

let anyone know about it or more face lost.

Of course the elderly and infirm will pay the price.

Edited by animatic

If they are going to shut down the elevators, the right time to do it is on NON-peak hours, such as in the evening. During the day is when they are needed most, and there will be huge queues of people waiting to get up those steps since it is a very long way up and the line will move at the pace of the slowest climber.

There are far better ways to conserve power. For instance, how about requiring advertisers to turn off billboard lights, palaces, government building, and business offices to raise their air conditioner temperature settings and turn off all lights at night.

FWIW, the elevators in the MRT stations are quite tiny, and are not really meant to ferry mass quantities of people. And I'm not certain they service any train platforms (obviously), just the upper mezzanine to the street, so you're still stuck with at least two escalators before you get to an elevator

cheesy.gif

Oooooppps - yes - escalators - damn the fingers move to quick and don't lock in the brain. LOL. neus.gif

Is this to save energy or to save money. Like to know what they are going to do with the money they save How about given it to an organization for the handicap.

I also like to know what the MRT is going to do as a business to save energy? How about turning down the AC in the office, or go to a day off with pay to save money. Do all employees including management take the stairs?

They could also turn down the AC in each Station and Train, doing this you can save enough to build a new rail line.

Edited by Nowhereman60

If they are going to shut down the elevators, the right time to do it is on NON-peak hours, such as in the evening. During the day is when they are needed most, and there will be huge queues of people waiting to get up those steps since it is a very long way up and the line will move at the pace of the slowest climber.

There are far better ways to conserve power. For instance, how about requiring advertisers to turn off billboard lights, palaces, government building, and business offices to raise their air conditioner temperature settings and turn off all lights at night.

They won't be climbing up the steps, they'll be going up the other escalators.

It's amazing they consider these kinds of measures now, just because they expect power shortage.

For years one can witness these elevators running non-stop even without any user in the vicinity. Just go to a station like Lumpinhi out of rush hours and you will face a ballet of around 10 elevators, some multistorey, running totally empty in a desert station.

An micro-ounce of common sense would have suggested to fit switches to turn them on when necessary.

But I guess a never stopping elevator is seen as the ultimate in terms of sophistication.

"Earth hour" rings a bell somewhere?

There is a much easier solution here ... and it can be used every day of the year. Simply have the escalators only run when needed. That is, the escalator only starts and runs when someone walks onto the escalator and trips a light switch, and is then turned off when the person trips another light switch upon exiting the escalator. Thus when not being used the escalator does not run.

This is such a simple solution and is being used more and more in the USA and Europe .... and my roommate just told me he saw this system in an art museum here in BKK.

Cardio they need some!

• Like 1