Mrt To Suspend Escalator Service During Daytime To Help Save Energy

lomatopo

Thinking about it 9am-4pm . . That's usually when peak energy is used typically right? (I am guessing here) . . They could shut it down at any time and still save the same amount of money, because electricity is charged at a constant rate right? So 9am-4pm is not rush hour and seems like a good idea. Can't do it before 9am as that's rush hour people going to work and 4-8 is probably considered rush hour commuting home, after 8pm is another possibility. Maybe shift to turn off for few hours in the middle of the day and then a few after the evening rush hour.

I happen to think it is a good idea. I can't believe the trolls that complain about every little god damn thing on TV. Some accuse the MRT of trying to save money! OMG, what a terrible thing for a business to do!!!! Then others are complaining about the disabled that already use ELEVATORS. Just can't win with the Bitter Betty's on here. Who care's what the real motives are, there will me a major decrease in energy consumption, which is good for Thailand and the PLANET!

They aren't turning off every escalator just the ones not used much. I know there are plenty of stations on that line that probably do not see that much traffic during the middle of the day and thus reducing the need.

There are still a lot of people commuting around 9 am and at lunch time as well. I am not sure if there are many folks who like to take the stairs for example at Huay Khwang station as some stairs have like 100 steps.

On the side note, you made an excellent point about business. But it is important to remember that one of the core priorities of any business is to value customers and get the best customer satisfaction as if customers are not content with the service provided, they can just look for other ways to get what they need. As a result, companies make money servicing customers to cater their needs. I don't think commuters require less escalator service.

One way to help save energy is using escalators that shut down when nobody is on them. I think that's even more effective as it can be applied all the time, and not just for like two months. Plus, even during rush hours, they can stop running for maybe 1 minute as the frequency of the trains is about 3 minutes during rush hours, so the time people disperse up the escalators may allow the one minute stop.

Additionally, if MRT wants to make more profits, they still have fare option as a leverage that they can increase whenever they want.

100 steps? Hmm thats not bad at all. Why not just take it as a manditory light cardio work out?

In doing so, both resolved to implement a temporary suspension of escalator services at all underground train stations from 9.30 am to 4.30 pm during April 1 and June 30.
Ms. Rachanee stated that 70-80 of existing 200 escalators will be chosen for the temporary suspension.
MRTA and BMCL expect the initiative will save a sizable portion of the electricity bill, estimated at around 1 million baht per day.

1 million bath per day / 80 escalators / 7 hours = 1'785b saved per escalator per hour

at 5b for 1kWh, that's 357kWh saved per hour.

Now, according to this article http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/the_green_lantern/2010/08/escalators_vs_elevators.html :

A continuously running escalator of the kind you'd find in airports or subway stations—35 feet high with a 40 horsepower motor—would use around 60,000 kWh annually

60'000kWh / 365 days per year / 24 hours per day = 6.8 kWh per hour

So MRT escalators use 357 / 6.8 = 52.5 times more energy than a regular escalator...

In other words, they will unlikely save 1 million bath per day, but it'll be more close of 20'000b per day... rolleyes.gif

Edited by manutoo

Don't the authorities "at be" realize that many people cannot handle climbing all of those stairs??? I must admit a few years a go this daily jogger of 18 years would have be glad to run up the stairs, but now with my bad knees (not jogging anymore) I need to take the escalator because when I climb steep steps 3-4 times a day, I start to get an inflamed knee. My condition is not serioius but I think of the elderly that cannot climb all those steps. I suppose one can use elevators, but they do not always work.

Next, what city around the city does not have escalators working for their underground trains?

If your knees are that that bad how do you traverse Bangkok streets in general?By in large they are full of trip hazards and uneven surfaces. Are your knee problems related to your weight?

Stair climbing is one of the best Cardio exercises I know of. This should weed out the wheat from the chaff.

Nobody uses the MRT for cardio workouts exclusively...what about the "chaff" that actually need escalators such as the elderly, frail, disabled, young children? These are the ones who will suffer.

Hopefully it will only be the down elevators. The ups are essential for elderly, arthritic sufferers and people with bags/luggage. Let's see but I have to concur, this is all about money and sweet FA to do with saving electricity.

It's the escalators not the elevators that are being suspended.

Stair climbing is one of the best Cardio exercises I know of. This should weed out the wheat from the chaff.

Nobody uses the MRT for cardio workouts exclusively...what about the "chaff" that actually need escalators such as the elderly, frail, disabled, young children? These are the ones who will suffer.

They would use the Elevator for the disabled??? Maybe thats just common sense?