Baht Bus Fare

frodo77

What is the fare from Jomtien Hanuman statue area to Central Shopping Mall? I thought Pattaya Tai was the demarcation and have always paid 20 baht, but have been told Pattaya Klang is the demarcation and should pay 10 baht.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 baht.

TEN baht.

Don't be silly to pay 20.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 --

You should also pay 10 to Pattaya Klang, yes even getting off after the light at Tops.

If you go to Big C or North, up to you.

It's still really 10 but a fair percentage of drivers will push for 20 if they remember your boarding location.

Especially on an empty bus. On a full bus, you can still usually pay 10.

If you go deep into Naklua, I would always definitely pay 20.

A small percentage of drivers will push, more so in high season, for 20 even to Central Festival. They are only trying that on. You can safely ignore them. PAY EXACT CHANGE.

In some ways, it is a situational system and you have to be somewhat flexible. If the driver turns at South Pattaya road, of course you still must pay 10 even if you wanted to go further. During high season, a minority of drivers will actually kick off the passengers after Pattaya Tai. They are misbehaving but you still have to pay 10.

Edited by Jingthing

10 baht , all the way from Jomtien to Big C North Pattaya. And I never had a problem to get change back from a 20 baht note.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

10 baht , all the way from Jomtien to Big C North Pattaya. And I never had a problem to get change back from a 20 baht note.

Yes but I can assure that sometimes drivers will push for 20 baht to Big C, and that sometimes is definitely more often than they would do at Central. It's a bit of a game.

Bit of a bonus with all the Russians, baht bus drivers now make a good living, no need to try and scam anyone, drawback is late afternoon from Jomtien is they are all packed

That's not the whole story. They are packed because too many are being used as charter taxis. That's why a real separate system of REAL taxi meters is needed.

Also, need or no need, there are still plenty of scamming drivers.

Edited by Jingthing

I have a strict policy as i am a night owl, if no one else rides or gets on or off while i am on, i dont take the change. Can you imagine doing that job??? Ring, ring, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing, stop and go and stop and go. The down side for riders is they often will NOT stop to pick up a solo, 10 baht isnt't worth it i guess. I still can not imagaine how SOME of these drivers make any money at all.

I have a strict policy as i am a night owl, if no one else rides or gets on or off while i am on, i dont take the change. Can you imagine doing that job??? Ring, ring, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing, stop and go and stop and go. The down side for riders is they often will NOT stop to pick up a solo, 10 baht isnt't worth it i guess. I still can not imagaine how SOME of these drivers make any money at all.

Up to you. The FARE. however, is 10 baht.

The drivers generally make a lot more during high season, not to mention the fat charter fares.

• Like 1

I think some people who pay the actual CORRECT fare of 10 baht feel that people who overpay, double pay, etc. are doing a disservice and "spoiling" the drivers. I don't suggest looking at it this way. Many of the drivers are naturally very greedy already and don't really need any excuse to play games trying to get more than the correct fare. I also don't think the drivers RESPECT people who overpay more than people who know and pay the CORRECT fare. I think the opposite is true, even when they might be screaming at you trying to intimidate you into paying more than the correct fare. So, as I've said, you want to overpay? Up to you. That's your business.

A new scam is gaining in popularity--if you go from Jomtien to Pattaya--some bhat bus drivers will stop right after South Pattaya Rd., park on the left (this would be very near the entrace to Walking Street and if you go the other way, the Wat) get out and tell all passengers that they must pay 20 baht to go any farther. This has happened to me twice over the past two weeks. What did I do? I got out, gave the a-hole driver 10 baht and flagged down another baht bus to take me farther down the road. What did I want to do? (no comment). Total a-holes! I have zero sympathy for any of them!

• Like 1

If I can afford to tip a little in a bar I can also afford to not bother with change from a 20 note for a Baht bus driver, who mostly work a lot harder.

The thing is a tip is voluntairy, if your overcharged its no longer volontairy but a a fraud / scam however minor.

A new scam is gaining in popularity--if you go from Jomtien to Pattaya--some bhat bus drivers will stop right after South Pattaya Rd., park on the left (this would be very near the entrace to Walking Street and if you go the other way, the Wat) get out and tell all passengers that they must pay 20 baht to go any farther. This has happened to me twice over the past two weeks. What did I do? I got out, gave the a-hole driver 10 baht and flagged down another baht bus to take me farther down the road. What did I want to do? (no comment). Total a-holes! I have zero sympathy for any of them!

Yes, I mentioned this in this thread. It happens sometimes. Nothing you can do really, pay, and hope for better luck next time.

There is often a convenient policeman just opposite that corner. If that happened to me I would invite the driver to discuss the matter with said policeman. And I would take the driver's number and report him to the coop and City Hall just for the satisfaction it would give me.

If more people stood up for what is right no one would need to.

The type of driver that tries those kinds of scams is usually the type of driver with anger control issues.beatdeadhorse.gif Policemen would NOT be interested and that's putting it mildly, and the drivers know that. I doubt the "complaint line" is interested either, but good luck.

Edited by Jingthing

There is often a convenient policeman just opposite that corner. If that happened to me I would invite the driver to discuss the matter with said policeman. And I would take the driver's number and report him to the coop and City Hall just for the satisfaction it would give me.

If more people stood up for what is right no one would need to.

If you get this opportunity BPB please let me know the results after they quit snickering and laughing? Why not take it the mayor directly?whistling.gif

The type of driver that tries those kinds of scams is usually the type of driver with anger control issues. Policemen would NOT be interested and that's putting it mildly, and the drivers know that. I doubt the "complaint line" is interested either, but good luck.

I did say "if" it happened to me.

In 30+ years of bahtbus travel I have still yet to have any sort of problem with any bahtbus driver. Maybe it's karma.

The type of driver that tries those kinds of scams is usually the type of driver with anger control issues. Policemen would NOT be interested and that's putting it mildly, and the drivers know that. I doubt the "complaint line" is interested either, but good luck.

I did say "if" it happened to me.

In 30+ years of bahtbus travel I have still yet to have any sort of problem with any bahtbus driver. Maybe it's karma.

More like luck, dude. When they kick off the entire bus of people at Pattaya Tai, it is nothing personal. They kick off the ENTIRE bus. If it hasn't happened to you, that's just random, because it happens sometimes, I can assure you.