Baht Bus Fare

frodo77

The current (real and legitimate) ambiguity is that yes "long haul" fares are officially 20 baht for Thais as well. The issue is how to define long haul. There is no official definition of long haul from the baht bus cooperative. There is no official cut off line after Pattaya Tai from Jomtien from the baht bus cooperative. So people (and drivers) are free to make up their own rules about what defines long haul. As I've said before if you go from Jomtien deep into Naklua, you really SHOULD and probably will be forced to (if the driver remembers) pay 20 baht. I've also said many times that I often even usually pay 20 baht going from Jomtien to Big C without any demands but I also know many drivers will accept 10 baht for that, and the volume of people on the bus DOES change the psychology. As I've said before, there is a situational aspect to the fare structure here. It's best to be flexible.

In my, yes extensive, experience the vast majority of drivers are totally OK with accepting 10 baht, Jomtien to Pattaya Klang, even on an empty bus. After Pattaya Klang, a higher percentage of drivers are not going to accept that, and that is why personally I usually pay 20 baht to Big C (but YOU don't really have to in all cases).

So the basic fare is 10 baht.

The long haul fare is 20 baht.

How you define long haul is both up to you and up to any "feedback" from the driver.

I do suggest that people ignore "feedback" from drivers up through Pattaya Klang coming from Jomtien though, but that again is up to you. I would change my advice if I found a significant percentage of drivers were balking at 10 baht on that run, but that as yet is NOT the case.

There are always exceptions in a rough system like this. For example there is a specific baht bus team here that actually tried out putting a hostile old lady to ride on the actual passenger area of the bus. She was collecting fares and screaming at people to pay 20 baht for obviously shorter haul rides and openly arguing even with Thais (and me). She called me a bad man for advising the tourists to pay the correct fare, 10 baht, which I took as an honor. If you encounter an outlier bus like that, just bad luck, it ain't normal.

OK this seems right. I have been saying since the beginning I pay 20 baht from Jomtien to North Pattaya. North Pattaya in my thinking is North of Pattaya Klang. This is what I consider a "long haul". So to keep telling me the fare is 10 baht period, is not really correct as you have pointed out as what we are talking about is "long haul". Yes, I am sure as you suggest you can get away with paying 10 baht but as you also pointed out I also give them 20 baht up front to "North Pattaya". I don't feel I am paying double as some posters seem to imply.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Paying 20 baht Jomtien to North Pattaya is NOT overpaying. I would suggest paying that actually but I am not going to judge people who pay 10 for that as I know that will also be accepted by many drivers. This is of course quite confusing for tourists and infrequent users. I think the drivers like it that way! Ka-ching.

Edited by Jingthing

I agree. Paying 20 baht Jomtien to North Pattaya is NOT overpaying. I would suggest paying that actually but I am not going to judge people who pay 10 for that as I know that will also be accepted by many drivers. This is of course quite confusing for tourists and infrequent users. I think the drivers like it that way! Ka-ching.

Glad we can agree on this.

The current (real and legitimate) ambiguity is that yes "long haul" fares are officially 20 baht for Thais as well. The issue is how to define long haul. There is no official definition of long haul from the baht bus cooperative. There is no official cut off line after Pattaya Tai from Jomtien from the baht bus cooperative. So people (and drivers) are free to make up their own rules about what defines long haul. As I've said before if you go from Jomtien deep into Naklua, you really SHOULD and probably will be forced to (if the driver remembers) pay 20 baht. I've also said many times that I often even usually pay 20 baht going from Jomtien to Big C without any demands but I also know many drivers will accept 10 baht for that, and the volume of people on the bus DOES change the psychology. As I've said before, there is a situational aspect to the fare structure here. It's best to be flexible.

In my, yes extensive, experience the vast majority of drivers are totally OK with accepting 10 baht, Jomtien to Pattaya Klang, even on an empty bus. After Pattaya Klang, a higher percentage of drivers are not going to accept that, and that is why personally I usually pay 20 baht to Big C (but YOU don't really have to in all cases).

So the basic fare is 10 baht.

The long haul fare is 20 baht.

How you define long haul is both up to you and up to any "feedback" from the driver.

I do suggest that people ignore "feedback" from drivers up through Pattaya Klang coming from Jomtien though, but that again is up to you. I would change my advice if I found a significant percentage of drivers were balking at 10 baht on that run, but that as yet is NOT the case.

There are always exceptions in a rough system like this. For example there is a specific baht bus team here that actually tried out putting a hostile old lady to ride on the passenger area of the bus. She was collecting fares and screaming at people to pay 20 baht for obviously shorter haul rides and openly arguing even with Thais (and me). She called me a bad man for advising the tourists to pay the correct fare, 10 baht, which I took as an honor. If you encounter an outlier bus like that, just bad luck, it ain't normal.

The reason many people think that it's 20 baht anywhere past Pattaya Tai is because they encountered that demand ONE TIME and assume that applies to all buses. But it doesn't actually. Those are outliers. If that changes, I will know it for sure, and I will be happy to inform here.

Also obviously if you want to pay 10 baht on a run that some drivers may see as a long haul, pay the 10 baht in exact change, not in a 20 baht note for best results!

WHY you might ask doesn't the baht bus cooperative better DEFINE what they mean by long haul? My feeling is the drivers LIKE the ambiguity, it is very Thai, and they probably feel and are probably correct that they come out ahead keeping the ambiguity. As in two week tourists overpaying all the time kind of thing. A better defined system would stop that.

OK, after this I have to take back my statement/belief that it was 10 Baht all along for everyone at the moment.

Wasn't there a time when some/a few/at least one because I vividly remember seeing it and I doubt it was in my dreams, before the whole bus became advertising (good idea) there were lists of how much fares were? Similar to price lists you see in Bangkok meter-taxis (let's not get started with that one, someone will say that in Phuket it is worse).

Silly suggestion to nobody who would read it: why isn't there an official price list in all buses, so that passengers don't "cheat" drivers of fair 20 Baht rides in the honest belief that they should only be paying 10?

I've already addressed why I think it is OK with the baht bus people not to define long haul. They think they come out ahead on average NOT defining it. That said, I'm not sure they're right but it's their trucks.

Edited by Jingthing

10 baht , all the way from Jomtien to Big C North Pattaya. And I never had a problem to get change back from a 20 baht note.

Yes but I can assure that sometimes drivers will push for 20 baht to Big C, and that sometimes is definitely more often than they would do at Central. It's a bit of a game.

I don't use the baht bus much anymore, but in the not too distant past I never encountered any issues paying 10 Baht whatever the distance traveled. That said, there were times when I really went a long distance, handed the driver B 20 and walked away. It doesn't put me in the same league as Donald Trump, but there are times when we need to be fair about the fare. It has been a long time since the rates were set at Baht 10. I think Thais now pay the full amount as opposed to the 5 baht they often used to pay. Haven't really paid attention.

At some point the rate will have to be raised. If it goes to Baht 15 that will make making change more of a hassle and if goes to Baht 20 the moaning and gnashing of teeth on TV will be something terrible to see & hear.

Edited by Suradit69

The official fare is 10 baht for all nationalities as the standard fare and yes Thais do pay 10 baht, not 5 baht.

20 baht is the "long haul" fare.

The baht bus authorities do not define what they mean by long haul.

One thing I miss when the real fare was 5 baht and non-Thais were double charged is that if you wanted to take a very short ride, you could pay 5 baht even not being Thai, and drivers were cool with that.

Edited by Jingthing

I pay 15 baht sometimes from Jomtien to North Pattaya , Naklua Rd. I have been told this is the official rate also for Thais.

But it isn't. But I'm not surprised it would often be accepted. For that run, 10 baht will often be accepted, 15 baht will often be accepted, and 20 baht will definitely be accepted from anyone. It's the old what is the definition of long haul thingie again. 15 is really a non-standard payment but if they were going to accept 10 they certainly won't balk at 15.

Paying 15 baht isn't a bad idea. It's kind of like a statement -- I'm aware of the standard fare -- long haul fare thing and since you lunatics haven't bothered to actually DEFINE that, here's a compromise, have a nice day!

Because the coop hasn't defined long haul, I feel the only way regular riders can know the actual fare is over time to gauge any pushback when paying the standard fare. But not one offs and outliers. Trends. For example if on 10 trips from Jomtien to Central Mall, one driver objects to 10 baht, ignore it. If a pattern starts where MOST drivers are making a scene over paying 10, there is a consensus of enforcement/definition from the drivers/system that that's a long haul and they expect a long haul payment. So far, I can report, that run is 10 baht and it's also 10 baht through Pattaya Klang. There will be more pushback going as far as Big C, probably not the majority of drivers, but definitely more. But that could change of course.

It's their system. If they are going to be ambiguous, I feel riders have a right to respond to clues.

Edited by Jingthing

Unbelievable the amount of time spent on this forum on difference of 10 or 20 baht fare. This topic has been going on for a long time. Give it a rest and use better time giving good advice on stuff that people really need answers to instead of just trying to build up posts. If a person wants to "tip" the extra 10 baht so what. I tip at restaurants, bars, taxis from airport and anyone else who gives good service. Same with baht bus drivers. Going from Jomtien where I live to say Pattya Klang, 20 baht is for me a fair price. I think a lot of drivers don't stop anymore and look for the special runs is because of the faroung cheap charlies. Taking a baht bus run from Jomtien to North Pattaya and for a faroung to only pay 10 baht is a cheap charlie in my book. Pay the fare price and you and the baht driver will feel better.

I used to pay too much for everything including baht buses when I was a newbie. Please try to stop overpaying even small amounts, this has a big effect on inflation (farang price inflation that is) and it ruins (already ruined) the attitude of the locals as their expectations go up, I can't blame them, if I was delivering a service for a fee and all of a sudden there were a load of ignorant people overpaying me, I'd be trying to milk every single one of them, they'd be seen more as opportunities to progress financially than anything else (within reason of course) you wouldn't tip a bus driver in farangland cos he doesn't earn big money and probably struggles to support his family, if you overpay knowingly for things then you have no right to complain when things are too expensive now, just look at the price of beer, in sukhumvit or Pattaya for that matter, most often the price of a beer is the same as what you would pay in London, the locals don't understand that there's a limit where it just goes too far and is taking the piss (we're there already) so prices will just keep being put up! As farang sometimes we just have to accept we're being gouged for a few extra baht here and there (much more sometimes), I wouldn't be too bothered with that and just pay (it's not worth the hassle and is just how it is sometimes) but farang do not have to overpay for baht busses, beers, women, food etc as a matter if course - give the driver ฿10 and walk away, instead of saying I'm a dumb fool here's double fare cos I like you!!

I realize you are an old hand here by the massive posts you have. However if you bothered reading the rest of the thread before jumping on you would have learned about the "long haul" rate. That is what I paid, not double. Have another beer.

Unbelievable the amount of time spent on this forum on difference of 10 or 20 baht fare. This topic has been going on for a long time. Give it a rest and use better time giving good advice on stuff that people really need answers to instead of just trying to build up posts. If a person wants to "tip" the extra 10 baht so what. I tip at restaurants, bars, taxis from airport and anyone else who gives good service. Same with baht bus drivers. Going from Jomtien where I live to say Pattya Klang, 20 baht is for me a fair price. I think a lot of drivers don't stop anymore and look for the special runs is because of the faroung cheap charlies. Taking a baht bus run from Jomtien to North Pattaya and for a faroung to only pay 10 baht is a cheap charlie in my book. Pay the fare price and you and the baht driver will feel better.

I used to pay too much for everything including baht buses when I was a newbie. Please try to stop overpaying even small amounts, this has a big effect on inflation (farang price inflation that is) and it ruins (already ruined) the attitude of the locals as their expectations go up, I can't blame them, if I was delivering a service for a fee and all of a sudden there were a load of ignorant people overpaying me, I'd be trying to milk every single one of them, they'd be seen more as opportunities to progress financially than anything else (within reason of course) you wouldn't tip a bus driver in farangland cos he doesn't earn big money and probably struggles to support his family, if you overpay knowingly for things then you have no right to complain when things are too expensive now, just look at the price of beer, in sukhumvit or Pattaya for that matter, most often the price of a beer is the same as what you would pay in London, the locals don't understand that there's a limit where it just goes too far and is taking the piss (we're there already) so prices will just keep being put up! As farang sometimes we just have to accept we're being gouged for a few extra baht here and there (much more sometimes), I wouldn't be too bothered with that and just pay (it's not worth the hassle and is just how it is sometimes) but farang do not have to overpay for baht busses, beers, women, food etc as a matter if course - give the driver ฿10 and walk away, instead of saying I'm a dumb fool here's double fare cos I like you!!

I realize you are an old hand here by the massive posts you have. However if you bothered reading the rest of the thread before jumping on you would have learned about the "long haul" rate. That is what I paid, not double. Have another beer.

Since when does the amount of posts you make on an Internet forum correlate to whether you're and old hand or not as you put it - I'm not an old hand but I'm not a newbie either, but most certainly not a mug - I didn't bother reading the rest of the thread because I got bored once I reached a certain point, I suppose you would never dream of commenting on a thread unless you had read every single word - I don't see how my comment on what you said in your post can be validated or invalidated by reading other people's posts on a topic, my comment is valid and relevant as it relates to your quote, you say sometimes you pay ฿20 for a ฿10 fare, but that's not double it's the long haul rate. Hmm, ok well, each to their own, I couldn't really give a toss to be honest, I suggest you have another overpriced (long haul rate or double price) beer yourself.

Since when does the amount of posts you make on an Internet forum correlate to whether you're and old hand or not as you put it - I'm not an old hand but I'm not a newbie either, but most certainly not a mug - I didn't bother reading the rest of the thread because I got bored once I reached a certain point, I suppose you would never dream of commenting on a thread unless you had read every single word - I don't see how my comment on what you said in your post can be validated or invalidated by reading other people's posts on a topic, my comment is valid and relevant as it relates to your quote, you say sometimes you pay ฿20 for a ฿10 fare, but that's not double it's the long haul rate. Hmm, ok well, each to their own, I couldn't really give a toss to be honest, I suggest you have another overpriced (long haul rate or double price) beer yourself.

If you got bored than why did you take the time to lash out at me before knowing all the facts? What is a mug? must be a london term.

If you got bored than why did you take the time to lash out at me before knowing all the facts? What is a mug? must be a london term.

I got bored reading but I wanted to comment on what you said, the two aren't mutually exclusive. I understand now why you responded in the tone you did, if you thought I was lashing out at you then it I understand why that may of irritated you (I'd feel the same if I thought someone was lashing out at me), I wasn't lashing out so apologies if it looked that way. Yes mug is a London term :) it means; sucker; gullible; naive.

Anyway, peace out and have a nice night!

• Like 1

I got bored reading but I wanted to comment on what you said, the two aren't mutually exclusive. I understand now why you responded in the tone you did, if you thought I was lashing out at you then it I understand why that may of irritated you (I'd feel the same if I thought someone was lashing out at me), I wasn't lashing out so apologies if it looked that way. Yes mug is a London term smile.png it means; sucker; gullible; naive.

Anyway, peace out and have a nice night!

Accepted. Same to you. Have a good one. biggrin.png

Related "incident" report:

Tonight I took a baht bus Jomtien to Pattaya filled with glamorous young and pretty Russians and me (not glamorous, young, or Russian).

Similar to incidents reported here already, the driver stopped at Pattaya Tai but instead of kicking everyone off he did the where you go and insisted on at least 20 baht depending on where you go.

I was in a mood and told him no, this is a bus, the fare is 10 baht.

The Russkie glam band were ... whatever ... and rather amusingly were on the driver's side, not mine. (Surprise, surprise.)

Well, yes, as you can predict by now, I made a mistake trying to fight a corrupt driver, and there was some heat. I won't go into ALL the details here but let's just say the old adrenaline got going.

I did get out alive (or else this would be a miraculous post). Yes there were threats of violence (from him).

I don't recommend anyone else ever try to pushback against corrupt drivers. It ain't worth it. I know better but sometimes I slip.

However, the INTERESTING thing about this story is that when I mentioned I would be calling the BAHT BUS COOPERATIVE about the incident, this driver got very agitated.

Do you think this means what I think it MIGHT mean? That the bus bus cooperative DOES take complaints seriously? This driver I'm clear is one of the very corrupt ones who does this a lot, which means that possibly he already has a record of complaints for the same thing and because of that might really have good reason to fear a threat to complain.

Has anyone called the cooperative to complain? Do they speak English? Do you think they really take the complaints seriously and even sometimes discipline or fine the drivers?

In this case, there is another twist. I ended up going further down the road on his bus even though he didn't want me on the bus anymore. He stopped before my destination but I was then ready to pay him 10 baht. He wouldn't take the 10 baht. I think it's because he thought if he didn't take any payment from me I wasn't technically a paying passenger that can legitimately complain. That's BS of course but I really got the feeling that's what he was thinking.

I really don't need to hear lectures about it's not worth 10 baht to risk being violently assaulted. I know that. Really, believe it or not, it wasn't about the 10 baht. Its about a feeling that drivers shouldn't be allowed to fool people into boarding a bus and then changing the rules on you, at least on standard, expected routes. I can understand that kind of behavior going far out Jomtien beach road, but not at Pattaya Tai.

I have another question. Do the same drivers usually drive the same buses? Obviously, I've got his bus number and would want to avoid boarding his bus ever again. But it would be easier to do that if they drive the same bus all the time. So do they?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Related "incident" report:

Tonight I took a baht bus Jomtien to Pattaya filled with glamorous young and pretty Russians and me (not glamorous, young, or Russian).

Similar to incidents reported here already, the driver stopped at Pattaya Tai but instead of kicking everyone off he did the where you go and insisted on at least 20 baht depending on where you go.

I was in a mood and told him no, this is a bus, the fare is 10 baht.

The Russkie glam band were ... whatever.

Well, yes, as you can predict by now, I made a mistake trying to fight a corrupt driver, and there was some heat. I won't go into ALL the details here but the Russians weren't on my side and the driver was not happy.

I did get out alive. Yes there were threats of violence.

I don't recommend anyone else ever try to pushback against corrupt drivers. It ain't worth it. I know better but sometimes I slip.

However, the INTERESTING thing about this story is that when I mentioned I would be calling the BAHT BUS COOPERATIVE about the incident, this driver got very agitated.

Do you think this means what I think it MIGHT mean? That the bus bus cooperative DOES take complaints seriously? This driver I'm clear is one of the very corrupt ones who does this a lot, which means that possibly he already has a record of complaints for the same thing and because of that might really have good reason to fear a threat to complain.

Has anyone called the cooperative to complain? Do they speak English? Do you think they really take the complaints seriously and even sometimes discipline or fine the drivers?

In this case, there is another twist. I ended up going further down the road on his bus even though he didn't want me on the bus anymore. He stopped before my destination but I was then ready to pay him 10 baht. He wouldn't take the 10 baht. I think it's because he knows if he didn't take any payment from me I wasn't technically a paying passenger that can legitimately complain. That's BS of course but I really got the feeling that's what he was thinking.

I really don't need to hear lectures about it's not worth 10 baht to risk being violently assaulted. I know that. Really, believe it or not, it wasn't about the 10 baht. Its about a feeling that drivers shouldn't be allowed to fool people into boarding a bus and then changing the rules on you, at least on standard, expected routes.

Jt, could you do us a favour and next time you ride a baht bus mount a dash cam on your head ?

• Like 1

Do you think this means what I think it MIGHT mean? That the bus bus cooperative DOES take complaints seriously?

Why not try it and find out?

JT, I don't think you should call that mysterious cab coop, you gonna run into that driver again and again in future prolly, and his fellow drivers.. it just not good idea, at the end we always lose here.

JT, I don't think you should call that mysterious cab coop, you gonna run into that driver again and again in future prolly, and his fellow drivers.. it just not good idea, at the end we always lose here.

I tend to agree. However, I was intrigued that he seemed to be concerned about someone reporting his behavior. As I've said, I consider what I did a mistake. The best practice would have been to exit the truck and pay the 10 baht and ... better luck next time. That's better than caving to his games as the Russkies did I think, not that they cared.

For the future, I am curious whether the baht bus coop complaint number insists that you give your I.D. and contact info. This driver knows my face and that I threatened to report him, but the information that he was concerned might be useful in future. Another mistake I think I made, making the threat about reporting him, because if you are really going to report a driver, it's better if they don't know what you look like ...

Another perhaps somewhat unusual aspect of this specific incident was that he didn't like that I was in effect telling the Russkies they were being played. He knew he was acting wrong but someone who also knew telling these tourists definitely and understandably pissed him off even though the Russkies seriously couldn't have cared less.

Just to clarify: do I think many of the baht bus drivers are potentially violent? You better believe I do.

Edited by Jingthing