An Isaan Dilema

kwonitoy

My wife has already asked his wife about this, the chanote they are offereing to us can be used at the GSB for a loan but only 70,000 baht. They are short of their goal by 200k which is why they are asking us for that amount for the same chanote.

The thing is I don't really care about the chanote as I know the loan would be repaid eventually but can't afford that much at the moment.

Whoa! 2 sub sentences which make me wonder about you having graduated at the school of hard knocks.

I would regard the odds of you a) helping long term (as if this operation was the one to end all medical issues for the poor bloke) and B) getting a single Baht repaid as outlandish.

c) Don't you think there will be more such operations in the pipeline?

d) Do you expect the soon to be widow to repay you in full?

e) Ahh, you don't care about the chanote. Well, even if you had it, collecting on it might prove difficult. Maybe you need a license as a money lender - even if it's interest free. And you can bet that you will meet resistance when you want to keep the land!

Now I'm not a cardiologist. But my late mother had heart attacks and it was a mess. No bypass possible. There are powerful drugs.

Blood thinners like Marcumar and he needs to lose weight as well. Maybe there are other solutions - and it would be reckless only to

listen to one doctor who might have financial gain from an operation which might be cheaper for a Thai national.

My SIL is a manager at a hospital. If you shre the extend of this operation, maybe I can get you a quote from another hospital.

Just saying, they better start shopping around. 400,000 Baht is no small amount. and you get what you negotiate

(In Europe, my father opted for ambulant bladder cancer treatments. Afterwards, he was driven home. Paying just for the operation.

Maybe you can arrange something to reduce the cost by having him moved after a few days. Check the break down of the costs!!

It's all been said, I suppose, but you have to put your own family security first. You could lend money against a chanoot, provided that you do it in a way that secures the collateral. Then after he passes penniless because of medical bills, you will be faced with the choice either to lose the money or takie the land from a widow.

Many farang scoff at the idea of payng the cost of quality health insurance. This, sadly, is a good example of what can happen if you don't. I feel sorry for the guy but the situation is of his own making. We are all heading for an age when medical care will probably be necessry.

Well, thanks all for the replys, they fell on both sides of the fence for sure.

The wife and I talked it over before I left for work, I'm at work right now.

We decided that if they didn't want the original offer of an extended time 50,000 baht loan, that was up to them

200K baht for chanote deed, never an option for me as I didn't have the cash on hand to spare.

I've never been to his hospital or talked to his doctors, nor am I inclined to do so.

I do that for my wife and myself when we happen to be in the hospital

Checking around at different hospitals is up to him and his wife.

As some poster's asked he does have a pickup truck, he does own a house and several plots of land bought for the wife so he's not living under a bridge and does have assets which a bank should loan money for. But it is easier just to ask for money I suppose.

• Like 1

Well, thanks all for the replys, they fell on both sides of the fence for sure.

The wife and I talked it over before I left for work, I'm at work right now.

We decided that if they didn't want the original offer of an extended time 50,000 baht loan, that was up to them

200K baht for chanote deed, never an option for me as I didn't have the cash on hand to spare.

I've never been to his hospital or talked to his doctors, nor am I inclined to do so.

I do that for my wife and myself when we happen to be in the hospital

Checking around at different hospitals is up to him and his wife.

As some poster's asked he does have a pickup truck, he does own a house and several plots of land bought for the wife so he's not living under a bridge and does have assets which a bank should loan money for. But it is easier just to ask for money I suppose.

I think the last paragraph says it all. With a pickup, several plots of lands and a house, I wouldn't help any of my friends.

• Like 1

Is it possible that the wife doesn't want to finance the house or lots or pickup because she wants them when he dies?

My money is on, she has them already.

I wouldnt be surprised if she didnt have a, why doesnt this farang just die now and make these problems go away, attitude.

My wife has already asked his wife about this, the chanote they are offereing to us can be used at the GSB for a loan but only 70,000 baht. They are short of their goal by 200k which is why they are asking us for that amount for the same chanote.

The thing is I don't really care about the chanote as I know the loan would be repaid eventually but can't afford that much at the moment.

As for mortgageing my own property, call me hard hearted but no. All I've built up to date is a legacy for my son.

You cant afford it and have offered what you can afford.....youve done your bit

So there it is. The wife wants everything and is just waiting for the husband to die??

Question for all the westerners (non thai males) who are married here??? IF this was you, possibly sick beyond repair, possibly dying, is your wish to cash in everything you have the house, the car, the land, EVERYTHING, to "possibly" save yourself and leave your family nothing in the event you die? It feels as though there are many of you in or getting near to this situation........any thoughts?

Your offer of 50,000 baht could get him back on an emergency airlift to Australia (almost) and the Australian Embassy will help arrange matters if necessary. Obviously they will not help with expenses but they have assisted in these matters in the past and are very good at it.

I have friends who use the heart center and speak highly of it and by the way they are married to thais and are covered by the thai health care system

Thunder you have posted the above quote.....perhaps you could elaborate more on this Thai health care system please so the rest of us can maybe join it.????

My wife and I have never heard of any such scheme that includes western spouses which is why I pay a fortune out on health insurance.

HL biggrin.png

• Like 1

Does your friend have a car?

He could sell it

Thus if he sells it, he'll have enough for his heart operation. He can still take the bus or a motorcycle to go places

Now if he can sell his car, in order to pay for his heart operation, but instead asks for money from friends etc, then essentially he's actually asking for money to buy a car.

If the money he's asking for, is for his car, not for a heart operation, would you still give/lend him the money?

If he doesn't have a car, think the same thing about his land. He could sell the land, even if it's the house that he lives in, he could sell it and rent instead. Would you give/lend him money to buy a house for his wife rather than renting/staying with family?

SlyAnimal picked that one early.

I thought he must be broke from the opening post. Thanks for the update OP

So there it is. The wife wants everything and is just waiting for the husband to die??

Question for all the westerners (non thai males) who are married here??? IF this was you, possibly sick beyond repair, possibly dying, is your wish to cash in everything you have the house, the car, the land, EVERYTHING, to "possibly" save yourself and leave your family nothing in the event you die? It feels as though there are many of you in or getting near to this situation........any thoughts?

Your offer of 50,000 baht could get him back on an emergency airlift to Australia (almost) and the Australian Embassy will help arrange matters if necessary. Obviously they will not help with expenses but they have assisted in these matters in the past and are very good at it.

More than happy to answer this from a personal point of view.

If this guy cant take care of himself, how is he expected to take care of the family?

Too many times on here we here of, oh I bought the land and built the house to leave the mrs something when I croak it, the problem is, they leave the mrs with nothing, hence the land and house are usually put up for sale.

I am no where near pension age, but do these guys not have pensions their family can claim?

What did the family have before the farang came along?

Its all down to your choice of partner, farangs need to start thinking like Thai males do, what is this woman and her family bringing to the table, sadly in most cases its nothing.

If this was me, I would never put myself in a situation where I used up all my money buying, land houses and cars, I would keep some set aside for a rainy day, when it rains here it effin pisses down as this poor guy has now found out.

Yup, they spend with no thought for the future. Even the prudent ones often have insufficient in reserve to pay big medical bills. It's almost inevitable that an ageing expat. will need major resources for medical bills one day.

Most falangs pay for private health care plans so they can go to the better private hospitals, sure beats waiting for hours to see a doctor. My one friend his wife is a nurse, so is mine we both are under the gov health care system. The other friend's wife is an ex-teacher who retired long ago. I dont know the specifics as the wives take care of thai related affairs. Many falangs married to thais qualify for gov health care but im guessing your wife doesnt look too hard due to the fact she likes the private system better and you can afford it. Another thing most falangs that put down gov hospitals is they do not realize the doctor you see in the gov hospital works in his off hours at the private hospitals, but keep their gov job for the added perks and pension.

• Like 1

Most falangs pay for private health care plans so they can go to the better private hospitals, sure beats waiting for hours to see a doctor. My one friend his wife is a nurse, so is mine we both are under the gov health care system. The other friend's wife is an ex-teacher who retired long ago. I dont know the specifics as the wives take care of thai related affairs. Many falangs married to thais qualify for gov health care but im guessing your wife doesnt look too hard due to the fact she likes the private system better and you can afford it. Another thing most falangs that put down gov hospitals is they do not realize the doctor you see in the gov hospital works in his off hours at the private hospitals, but keep their gov job for the added perks and pension.

I've never heard previously that expats. can get free government health care through being married to a Thai woman.

Please tell us know you get it.

I've never heard previously that expats. can get free government health care through being married to a Thai woman.

If the Thai woman has a government (Rachaghan) status, the foreigner's covered with her social security.

Morden post # 47, indeed that is a sweeping comment and I think perhaps you should canvass the locals opinion concerning their local hospital and medical centres standards

The government hospitals and medical centres that I've been to as a visitor or for having our three boys delivered or taking the boys in for whatever have always offered an excellent service and on two occasions when I was in need of medical assistance I found them ( medical centres) first class.

We have a comprehensive health insurance plan , however the wife likes the local hospital.As I said we've received first class service on every occasion.

Hospitals and medical centres the world over vary from excellent to abysmal, you learn by your experiences those which are good and those which are bad.

If the Thai woman has a government (Rachaghan) status, the foreigner's covered with her social security.

We must have covered this at least half a dozen times in past threads. There are three main public insurance schemes in Thailand.

1. If you have a close relative who is a civil servant and a member of the civil servant medical benefit scheme you can also be covered by the scheme. However, the CSMBS does not cover some categoires of government officer who don't have civil servant (or rachagan) status.

2, If you have a spouse covered by the social security scheme (a different scheme known as pbragan sangkom) coverage does not extend to husbands. Incidentally if you worked in employment that gave you coverage under the SSS, you can maintain your coverage into retirement for a small monthly contribution even if you are a foreigner.

3. If your spouse is covered by the universal coverage scheme (otherwise known as the 30 baht scheme or goldcard) you won't be covered (although a few TV members may have been issued with a goldcard in the early days).

Edited by citizen33

Well it's all a moot point now.

Had a call from the wife yesteday afternoon.

The money was raised from her side for the operation.

Monday afternoon he had his heart operation and died in the operating room.

RIP Brian.

More than happy to answer this from a personal point of view.

If this guy cant take care of himself, how is he expected to take care of the family?

Too many times on here we here of, oh I bought the land and built the house to leave the mrs something when I croak it, the problem is, they leave the mrs with nothing, hence the land and house are usually put up for sale.

I am no where near pension age, but do these guys not have pensions their family can claim?

What did the family have before the farang came along?

Its all down to your choice of partner, farangs need to start thinking like Thai males do, what is this woman and her family bringing to the table, sadly in most cases its nothing.

If this was me, I would never put myself in a situation where I used up all my money buying, land houses and cars, I would keep some set aside for a rainy day, when it rains here it effin pisses down as this poor guy has now found out.

A very valid point you make in this post.

I know of several foreign-expats that build a house for their Mrs, bought a car on finance of up to 6 years and with absolute no savings except their monthly pension. Most of their savings went down for the house, Sinsod and the down-payment for the car and when they get sick the world fulls apart around them.

I am aware that my wife and child will outlive me for many years and that's why the saving of funds started from the day I build the house and got married.

I am in the late 40's now and as long I can work we pay monthly a substantial amount towards savings and I also setup a trust of my shareholdings in several companies in Singapore and Malaysia, so if things goes wrong with me, my wife and child is looked after financially.

My in-laws and wife has bring a lot to the table. 28 rai of good land (14 rai are now in the name of my wife with a Chanote tile) but the most important thing they bring honesty to the table. They are a very traditional family and not one out of the distant family members has ever worked in the red light district and their has not been a divorce.

I have no life insurance but I do have a private medical insurance.

The important issue is saving for the rainy day.

BTW: Sorry to hear by the OP that the person passed away during the operation.

• 5 weeks later...

sad but dont feel guilty but as were only human thats what its all about,take care of your family ,i dont understand people here saying you gotta go back to work to fund him,if their that concerned maybe you could give his address and they can make a very genorous donation to his cause,,take care,