Retirement Visa And Money In The Bank

I have a Retirement Visa now which is coming up for renewal but will be short of the 800,000 requirement due to the rise of the Thai Baht by about 50,000 Baht. I want to deposit 200,000 Baht into my savings account 90 days before my Visa expires and want to know if I can still withdraw from my savings account as long as I leave the 200,000 untouched but just use my regular pension withdrawals or should I get a new savings account from another bank and just leave it there untouched for Visa purposes? I want to use the combination of money in the Bank and what I receive per month from my pensions. Thanks

Edited by Apache704

Are you talking about income of 65k per month being short or an actual bank account? You have the option to use combined savings and income to meet the 800k and in most cases the savings does not have to be in account any set period of time (but several offices or officers say it does). But as long as account does not go below whatever amount is needed to be shown to immigration the account can always be used. You are saying your pension is put into this account (but the letter from Embassy is proof of pension - immigration is not concerned with that beyond the letter and backup proof if the want to check - such as pension papers). Accounts can always be used - just not go below the required amount.

• Like 1

Are you talking about income of 65k per month being short or an actual bank account? You have the option to use combined savings and income to meet the 800k and in most cases the savings does not have to be in account any set period of time (but several offices or officers say it does). But as long as account does not go below whatever amount is needed to be shown to immigration the account can always be used. You are saying your pension is put into this account (but the letter from Embassy is proof of pension - immigration is not concerned with that beyond the letter and backup proof if the want to check - such as pension papers). Accounts can always be used - just not go below the required amount.

I don't get the 65000 per month pension but about 46,000 from the Government but take out which equals to about 550,000 and then once a year in January take out the remaining balance from my private pension which I have been using to build my house. Now with the Thai Baht so high it doesn't equal the required amount so I have to withdraw again from my private pension of which I have to pay 25% tax on it and deposit it into a savings account 90 days before the Visa expires. I would like to know if I can still use my savings account for withdrawals as long as I leave the 200,000 there but use whatever is over this amount such as depositing and ATM withdrawals during this 90 period or would I have to get another savings account at a different bank.

Edited by Apache704
  • Like 1

Which immigration office do you use? MOST offices follow the national rule, no money seasoning required AT ALL for combination applications (income letter plus bank account).

Even with seasoning needed as it always is with bank account only applications, yes of course you can spend from the bank account during the seasoning period as long as the balance does not go below 800K.

Edited by Jingthing

With that proof of about 45k per month (allowing for any more fall) = 540 you would need an account with 260 thousand in it to meet the 800k per year requirement of combination method. So as said normally there is no seasoning required but if there is you would need to keep the level at or above 260k for the time required.

Are you married to a Thai? That would open the lower requirements for Thai wife extension (and 40K would meet that). More work for you and wife and immigration but if you can not meet the retirement it is an option. Just be sure immigration knows you can not meet the higher requirements as a local decision for retirement so most would prefer to use that method.

With that proof of about 45k per month (allowing for any more fall) = 540 you would need an account with 260 thousand in it to meet the 800k per year requirement of combination method. So as said normally there is no seasoning required but if there is you would need to keep the level at or above 260k for the time required.

I can put the funds into the savings account to cover the difference. Thanks

Are you married to a Thai? That would open the lower requirements for Thai wife extension (and 40K would meet that). More work for you and wife and immigration but if you can not meet the retirement it is an option. Just be sure immigration knows you can not meet the higher requirements as a local decision for retirement so most would prefer to use that method.

Yes I'm married to a Thai but need a Non O Visa which might require me to go to Vientianne to get it or could Immigration change it at Udon Thani without having to leave the country?? Thanks

As long as the account is a normal cash type passbook or statement account it is fine. The problem comes with bank account based on holdings/stocks/bonds and such as they would not be accepted. But normal passbook savings account is never a problem and does not have to be a dedicated account - just as long as it has the amount required for the time required. Normal fixed time deposits in cash are normally also allowed.

You have a non immigrant O visa entry to have a retirement extension of stay - you just change the reason for your extension of stay at the next extension time. Only the original entry of non immigrant is required - you can continue for life without another as long as you do not leave without a re-entry permit.

As long as the account is a normal cash type passbook or statement account it is fine. The problem comes with bank account based on holdings/stocks/bonds and such as they would not be accepted. But normal passbook savings account is never a problem and does not have to be a dedicated account - just as long as it has the amount required for the time required. Normal fixed time deposits in cash are normally also allowed.

You have a non immigrant O visa entry to have a retirement extension of stay - you just change the reason for your extension of stay at the next extension time. Only the original entry of non immigrant is required - you can continue for life without another as long as you do not leave without a re-entry permit.

Much obliged. So what you are saying is once you have had a Non O Visa such as I have had and then went to the Retirement Visa I could switch back again to the Non O Visa in Udon Thani without having to leave the country, just have the hassle of more paperwork correct??

Correct. And have your wife with you and her documents.

You've been a great help and just to make sure I'm going to Udon Thani tomorrow to confirm this as I only have 2 weeks left to deposit the money but I would save up to 60,000 Baht by doing this. I will keep you informed as to what they say. Thanks

If using money in the bank it needs to be there for 2 months before application. (Thai Wife)

A Rough Guide.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Letter from your Thai Bank showing balance and up to date bank book.
OR.
If income from outside Thailand: Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.
If Income from Thailand: Statements showing Income Tax receipts.
Marriage Certificate. (Kor Ror 3)
Marriage Registry entry. (Kor Ror 2)
Wife's Tabbien Baan and ID Card.
Your Passport.
Copies of everything.
Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.
A map showing the way to your house.
Passport size photos and 1,900 Baht fee.
Take your Wife to be interviewed.
One or two witnesses may be required.
You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.
Go back in a month and get the remainder.

• Like 1

Much obliged. So what you are saying is once you have had a Non O Visa such as I have had and then went to the Retirement Visa I could switch back again to the Non O Visa in Udon Thani without having to leave the country, just have the hassle of more paperwork correct??

In strict Terminology - there is no such Visa as a "Retirement Visa"

You are on the Original "Non Immigrant O Visa " - for purposes of Retirement (with annual extensions)

And you can apply to change the Purpose - to "Marriage"

Edited by WilliamIV

In strict Terminology - there is no such Visa as a "Retirement Visa"

You are on the Original "Non Immigrant O Visa " - for purposes of Retirement (with annual extensions)

And you can apply to change the Purpose - to "Marriage"

I was at Immigration yesterday and was told that if I wanted to change from Retirement to Marriage I would have to go to Vientianne first and get a Non O Visa . The young lady that I was talking to didn't understand English too well and gave me the wrong information saying that I could get the Non O Visa there in Udon but her Superior heard her and corrected her. She then apologized and said that they couldn't issue the Non O Visa there. They are all new people there and I don't think that they are experienced enough with the Immigration rules.

But other recent reports from that immigration office also point to a less than happy experience. Immigration do not like to change but if you do not have the qualifications for retirement they should do so and there should not be any need for a new visa entry. But if continious extensions of stay are not needed (does not appear that way - those younger and working often need for PR application) you can do as they say and obtain the visa for a 90 day entry and then do the extension of stay for marriage with only the 2,000 baht visa/trip to Vientiane extra cost (but does provide extra 3 months so not all a loss) and you should stay on there good side - and more importantly save you the early withdrawal tax.

Hi Apache

The alternative suggested by Lopburi does have advantages

for consideration.

We all bow to Lopburi’s superior knowledge.

To revert to your original plan

You already have a Non Immigrant Visa
You are in Thailand on a Non Immigrant Visa Extension for Retirement.
If you want to Extend the Retirement Extension
you will complete Form TM.7 and for Reason of Extension write “Retirement”

If you now wish to apply for an extension for Marriage

You complete the same Form TM.7 and for Reason write “Marriage
to Thai National”

The Supporting Documents are of Course different and have been listed already.

It is unfortunate if the Staff have insufficient knowledge /
experience.
If you wish to proceed with this plan …

Maybe you need to speak to the Head of your Immigration
Office?
Bill

What,s all this money in the bank for 2 months ?I have a Thai wife and 400,000 bart in the bank , Lopburi office says money in the bank 3 months before visa expires, and it has been for some years ,or have I miss read the plot.

Yours Rgs

KS

Hi Apache

for consideration.

to Thai National”

experience.

Office

Hi Apache

for consideration.

to Thai National”

experience.

Office?

Bill

The Superior Officer wouldn't speak with me directly but only to her subordinate officer in Thai who then said to me "We cannot give you a Non O Visa for Marriage,you have top go to Vientianne" and then come back here.

What,s all this money in the bank for 2 months ?I have a Thai wife and 400,000 bart in the bank , Lopburi office says money in the bank 3 months before visa expires, and it has been for some years ,or have I miss read the plot.

Yours Rgs

KS

The Official rule is money in the bank for 2 months.

However some offices like to use their own rules.rolleyes.gif

Lite Beer

Thanks for the info, reading all about retirement visa's but can not seem to find out what age do you need a retiement visa,I know the retiement age in Thailand is 60 is it the same for us Farang's? I am 57 ,so it has got to be coming soon.

Yours Rgs

KS

2.22 In the case of a retiree: Permission will be granted for a period of not more

than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application