Too Much Time On My Hands

britgent

Seriously,if I was the OP I would go and explore on of the last unspoilt wildernesses in the world,Indonesia!

Start in Sumatra and finish in Irian Jaya,the other half of Papua New Guinea and the only other place in the world apart from Australia that has Duck Billed Platipuses!

Go looking for Orang Utan (Forest Man in Bahasa Indonesian),Sumatran Rhinos and Tigers,Borubudor in Java the biggest Buddhist temple in the world and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.The volcanic craters of Flores with three different coloured lakes,Komodo to see the famous dragons,dive with Whale Sharks in Sulawesi.Visit Hindu Bali and Lombok and the Gili Islands to climb Gunung Rinjani one of the highest mountains in Indonesia,head for East Timor now the war is over and they have independence.Then finish up in Irian Jaya's untamed primary rainforests,the locals there aren't headhunters anymore!
Here's sunrise over Rinjani :

http://www.google.co.th/imgres?imgurl=http://www.rinjaninationalpark.com/images/rinjani-sunrise.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.rinjaninationalpark.com/index.htm&h=333&w=500&sz=45&tbnid=hirShVfTAwkBdM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=135&zoom=1&usg=__qQsHVxdognefztt0TyRLqQMWej4=&docid=C0t_ACrY59S4RM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=jzJLUdKPIMrXrQe0zICYCQ&sqi=2&ved=0CEYQ9QEwBA&dur=221

I've had a similar situation for nearly two years. My time isn't broken up like yours but I, too, have a lot of time on my hands. I'm from the US and I was always very active there: outdoor exercise on a bike or walking; as a Buddhist, I attended temple there regularly; and as a community activist, I was always involved in local politics. Well, none of that is possible here in Thailand: the weather is too hot, the Buddhism is very different, and we all know about the politics.

I came to the realization several months ago that I'm pretty unfulfilled here in Thailand....and I will soon be returning to the US for good. I feel that I'm not being the person I really am and that I'm not progressing as a person nor contributing to society in a good way. I have nothing bad to say about Thailand but it's just not for me.

You might keep an open mind that your situation could be similar to mine.

Edited by Jawnie

I've had a similar situation for nearly two years. My time isn't broken up like yours but I, too, have a lot of time on my hands. I'm from the US and I was always very active there: outdoor exercise on a bike or walking; as a Buddhist, I attended temple there regularly; and as a community activist, I was always involved in local politics. Well, none of that is possible here in Thailand: the weather is too hot, the Buddhism is very different, and we all know about the politics.

I came to the realization several months ago that I'm pretty unfulfilled here in Thailand....and I will soon be returning to the US for good. I feel that I'm not being the person I really am and that I'm not progressing as a person nor contributing to society in a good way. I have nothing bad to say about Thailand but it's just not for me.

You might keep an open mind that your situation could be similar to mine.

The problem I found in Thailand is there is a lot of negative people (I realize how ironic my post sounds).

I stopped talking to people about my projects, they always say it's not going to work, already done ... I just do it.

Thai people are usually more supportive. But you need to learn the language.

Edited by baba the bobo

1. Learn Thai

2. Teach English

If you do the latter informally among the neighbors for no money, I'd be very very surprised if you got any flack for it, especially in a poor rural area.

If you want to be 100% legit, go in search of a temple and offer to teach their monks, but they need to arrange for the volunteer WP. That'll be a nice little project in and of itself.

If the OP has knowledge of I Pads temple would be a good one, GF works in auction house and a few monks cashing them in due to lack of knowledge on how to use

Edited by marstons

I personally think that anyone with half a brain needs to be kept busy for an hour or so everyday, be it by taking classes, volunteering or hobbies. I see this with many retired people here. I refer to it as "a beautiful hell". Hats off to you that you don't send it in a bar all day, as many do.

• Like 1

I personally think that anyone with half a brain needs to be kept busy for an hour or so everyday, be it by taking classes, volunteering or hobbies. I see this with many retired people here. I refer to it as "a beautiful hell". Hats off to you that you don't send it in a bar all day, as many do.

Curious to see many are not prepared to take on this awful lot of free time.

I spend my free time posting nonsensical topics on TV. And masturbating. But not at the same time, 'cause that would be wrong, right guys ? Er, guys ?

<sounds of crickets chirping>

On a more serious note:

http://www.scv.org.au/

That charity is 100% real, and Geraldine Cox has dedicated her life to giving Cambodian kids something most of us took for granted - a roof over our heads, food and an education. When they finally let me off my leash in 2014, part of my return to PP will be a trip to see her orphanage and make a small donation. Plenty of time for bar hopping and other indulgences once I get that out of the way. The OP could do a lot worse.

This is why the concept of retirement doesn't work. You'll go crazy from boredom. Or become an alcoholic. One of the two.

Why not both?

You could become a Supermarket Strider like most ferands here. Or buy a Mo Cycle and get pissed in deserted Villages.w00t.gif

How old are you? 11?

Do you lack the imagination to be able to entertain yourself in a country where if you have a few quid, the country is proverbially your oyster?

- Hire a car. Go out into the amazing countryside around CM. Find a trail. Park. Go for a walk. Enjoy the scenery which is among the finest on this planet.

- Go to the pub. Get roaring drink. Have a scrap. Get a dolly. Go home.

There you go. There's 2 nice ideas to get you started...

Heavydrinker, you’re really mean. We were all newcomers once; give the poor guy a break.

First our Britgent, can you tell us what sort of stuff you’re into? Your age and so on? That would help.

I spend my free time posting nonsensical topics on TV. And masturbating. But not at the same time, 'cause that would be wrong, right guys ? Er, guys ?

<sounds of crickets chirping>

On a more serious note:

http://www.scv.org.au/

That charity is 100% real, and Geraldine Cox has dedicated her life to giving Cambodian kids something most of us took for granted - a roof over our heads, food and an education. When they finally let me off my leash in 2014, part of my return to PP will be a trip to see her orphanage and make a small donation. Plenty of time for bar hopping and other indulgences once I get that out of the way. The OP could do a lot worse.

I used to be into masturbation, but gave it up after these stiff hairs began growing on the palms on my hands and my eyesight started to fade.

Surprised at the negativity in this topic (or should I be?) Have all of you never been in a spot in your life where you just got a bit bored and wanted to find something to do?

OP with that schedule I would pursue a second career--a lot of people have hobbies like photography, writing, music, painting, etc. that can be viable careers but the time it takes to build up an income from it limits them. Even if you don't want it as your primary career, it would be a challenge to sell your creative work. This is assuming you have a creative hobby.

If you're content staying in Chiang Mai I would look to the general idea of 'projects' that can be fulfilling in that they give you
something to work towards. Ever wanted to open a restaurant? Do it. Then hand it off to the employees for two months, come back make improvements, etc. Just one example of many.

If you want to be more leisurely, Most Westerners I know cure boredom with a hobby that allows them to shop and spend money on stuff. In Thailand your best bet for that is SCUBA. A SCUBA hobbyist would have no trouble with your schedule and would quite enjoy flying off to a great dive site first thing to hang around for a couple of months.

I'm wary of charities, or some of them anyway - we constantly hear these horror stories about how all the money gets chewed up by administration etc and never gets to the people who need it. Here's something that I like the sound of - http://www.wavesforwater.org/about - you actually go out to villages and install clean water systems yourself - you are the charity. You put your money and time up and you know that your personally making a difference. If I were you I would really start by learning the language and go from there. Theres a million ways you can make a difference and it doesn't have to be through an organisation..

Edited by dogbox2013

How old are you? 11?

Do you lack the imagination to be able to entertain yourself in a country where if you have a few quid, the country is proverbially your oyster?

- Hire a car. Go out into the amazing countryside around CM. Find a trail. Park. Go for a walk. Enjoy the scenery which is among the finest on this planet.

- Go to the pub. Get roaring drink. Have a scrap. Get a dolly. Go home.

There you go. There's 2 nice ideas to get you started...

Heavydrinker, you’re really mean. We were all newcomers once; give the poor guy a break.

First our Britgent, can you tell us what sort of stuff you’re into? Your age and so on? That would help.

It's not really worth dignifying someone who calls himself "Heavy Drinker" with a reponse now,is it?

If the charity stuff doesn't resonate, then be constructively selfish and take up training for a second career, these days pretty inevitable that you'll need a Plan B at some point.

You may even be able to develop it into something that will make your current work seem much less attractive.

Or just use the time off to radically increase your income and shorten the time to when you're really ready to retire (as opposed to just thinking you are as with most).

This is why the concept of retirement doesn't work. You'll go crazy from boredom. Or become an alcoholic. One of the two.

Maybe true if you live in an Apartment.........

Problem with the OP is he works 2 weeks on and 2 off.....

Myself don't drink, never bored, live out in the sticks, have 5 dogs, have over 200 Koi fish, have garden, always appear [10 years here], there is not enough time in a day to ever have time to be bored

Edited by ignis

I am neither bored nor alcoholic but happily retired You don't just retire and think: that's it.

You just get more time to do the things you never had time to do when you were working. And it's a luxury I treasure. I have never been happier or more fit in my life!

There is no time to get bored!