Thai Students Set For Mass Tablet Computer Handout

webfact

Thai students set for mass tablet computer handout

BANGKOK, March 21, 2013 (AFP) - Thailand plans to distribute about 1.7 million handheld computers to students and teachers this year in the world's largest handout of the devices for education, officials said Thursday.

Nine firms from countries including China, India, Germany and the Netherlands are set to join an online tender in April to supply the tablet computers, according to the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology (ICT).

"This will be the world's largest amount of tablets given away by a government for education," said Surapol Navamavadhana, a government advisor involved in the "One Tablet Per Child" scheme.

With each tablet expected to cost roughly $100, the total value of the orders looks set to be worth more than four billion baht ($140 million).

They will be given to primary students aged about six years old as well as to middle-school students aged between 12 and 13, along with 54,000 tablets that will be given to teachers.

The ruling Puea Thai party, linked to fugitive former Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra, pledged to issue free handheld computers to students as one of a raft of pledges that helped it to election victory in 2011.

The party -- led by Thaksin's sister Yingluck Shinawatra -- has been accused by the opposition of populism over its election promises.

About 850,000 tablets were already given to students last year, supplied by China's Shenzhen Scope Scientific Development Co. at a cost of about about 2.2 billion baht ($75 million).

Next year the government aims to distribute a further seven million tablets, according to the ICT ministry.

The tablets will remain the property of the schools for three years, during which time the students can take them home each day. After that the students will own them.

But the authorities are calling on teachers and parents to ensure that students do not stay glued to the screens for too long.

"Students should not use the tablets for more than two hours per day otherwise they won't be able to differentiate between textbooks and tablets," said Soratda Phumwiphat, another advisor involved in the scheme.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-03-21

• Like 1

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well amazing, the 2nd batch of school tablets that were due this month has been DELAYED until NOVEMBER.

I have a good Idea from teachers locally that 850,000 have NOT been handed out. AS STATED. in my first sentence. This is not my own thinking it was on Thai T.V. last week. What all this mass hand out is in addition to the ones that have NOT been handed out.giggle.gif just amazing. money just thrown away on any whim. LOOK a promise is a promise, Election---when we are elected all the students will have a ??????

So glad AFP 'tells it like it is' - The ruling Puea Thai party, linked to fugitive former Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra...The party -- led by Thaksin's sister Yingluck Shinawatra -- has been accused by the opposition of populism over its election promises....But the authorities are calling on teachers and parents to ensure that students do not stay glued to the screens for too long.

With each tablet expected to cost roughly $100, the total value of the orders looks set to be worth more than four billion baht ($140 million).

That is impressive.

How many black bin bags full of cash will someone big have stolen out of his house by criminals hired by other big people who weren't happy with their unfair amount of black bin bags full of cash though?

Thailand plans to distribute about 1.7 million handheld computers ... With each tablet expected to cost roughly $100, the total value of the orders looks set to be worth more than four billion baht ($140 million).

1.7 million times $100 equals... blink.png

Perhaps they'd better swap them for calculators.

cheesy.gif

well, they did say "roughly"... laugh.png

I just wish that the money had been spent on educating the teachers so that there was a chance that they might educate some of their pupils. This is value for money? I think this scheme has scam written all over it.

• Like 1

so by next year these tablets will have found their way into the bars of pattaya and suchlike meaning ill never have to spend any more time speaking to bar girls ever again as they will all be sat in the corner with a san miguel, 20 marlborough lights and some guy on thai love links........nice.

Are you saying that the mothers will steal the stuff and take it to work with them?

that amount of money could pay for a substantial upgrade in teacher training and better qualified teachers. A good teacher will do invaluable work for most of their career - benefiting hundreds of pupils. A Gadget is unlikely to last one student's time in education.

Edited by attento

On 2012-10-17 we had
""Earlier this year, the government signed contracts with a Chinese supplier for 858,886 tablets worth Bt1.9 billion that are now being used for studying at Prathom 1 level.""

Now those from last year were probably of lesser spec (for P1 kids, with a price of US$82) and now about half will be a higher spec (for M1 students). Combined with rising prices of tablet Pcs, rising Baht, greedy foreign suppliers increasing their margins, etc., etc., etc.

BTW any data on how many of those 858,886 are still in working order assuming all have been delivered and used.

so by next year these tablets will have found their way into the bars of pattaya and suchlike meaning ill never have to spend any more time speaking to bar girls ever again as they will all be sat in the corner with a san miguel, 20 marlborough lights and some guy on thai love links........nice.Are you saying that the mothers will steal the stuff and take it to work with them?

If they don't then some body else might. This is 7 and 11 year olds we are talking about.

so by next year these tablets will have found their way into the bars of pattaya and suchlike meaning ill never have to spend any more time speaking to bar girls ever again as they will all be sat in the corner with a san miguel, 20 marlborough lights and some guy on thai love links........nice.

don't be silly, they will be on line looking for a job. or at there Investments on the stock markets.

In 9 years here I've seen Thais do one thing without fncking it up, and that's the makeover of Sanaam Luang. It is truly the best job they could have done, and I want to buy a case of Beer Lao Dark for whoever managed the project.

Someone else has said it, teacher training is the key because teachers here know jack sh!t. I know so because I teach them.

Foisting a gadget on students gives the appearance of doing something, just as blowing the whistle when someone's toe brushes the yellow line at the BTS gives the appearance of the tinpot security guards doing something. Other than Sanaam Luang, you can count on the decisionmakers of this country to blow it - BADLY - every time. T'sokay though... if they had their act together like Sweden or Denmark, we expats wouldn't be able to find employment so easily.

Edited by seminomadic

Computers for students with educational software and access to the internet is a good thing. Every country in the world that can do that should do so. Lets gets er done Thailand!

Those 'students' are actually M1 kids, about 12 years old. Yes it's good to offer them modern learning tools, but it needs a bit more than just give them the tablet PC. Educational programs aimed at their age/school group, teachers who know how to use and help, (controlled) internet access in school, electricity and sufficient power points, etc., etc.

In the last few months I have enjoyed the opportunity of training and working with two young students and a guy probably older than most of the fossils on this forum, the guy started out not even computer literate, but his interest awakened by my efforts to empower him have brought him up a very steep learning curve, monitoring his attention to detail and observing his enthusiasm have been a wonder to behold. The students impressed me too displaying all the same charecteristics and enthusiasm. But there was one major difference in the training, the students already enjoyed the knowledge to use the tools to assist in their learning and contribution. Their task was made so much lighter by the fact that they could concentrate on the process and deliver the required output, the guy without the tools experience was struggling, it was a big ask to have him follow the process too, but he has admirably stuck with it.......so my conclusion, allow children to have everyday experience of modern technology......yes....no brainer

• Like 1

within 10 years people talk to machinery.

with desasterous consequences for society.

Machines don't evolve social skills, nor do they improve civil society interaction...(community commitment)

introducing these tablets to schools is a blunt attempt to relieve the stress of teachers inability to teach in a proper way.

Add the loss of real time teaching while playing these tablets in schooltime and you know why some people call me old fashion and others wise

Is this supposed to be an ongoing thing, like a new lot to be given to next years students?

Or are the present lot supposed to be passed on?

Or is it just a one off election promise as in look we did what we said then forget it?

It cant be the pass on bit as I see they can keep them after 3 years.

So it must either be an ongoing thing and an annual cost presumably from the education budget or a forget it we have kept our promise.

"... The tablets will remain the property of the schools for three years, during which time the students can take them home each day. After that the students will own them."

blink.pngcrazy.gif

How many will end up in the local pawnshop as mum and dad need Lau Kau or drugs or pay off gambling debts? Am I cynical, you bet I am and no pun intended ?!