Thai Students Set For Mass Tablet Computer Handout

webfact

"the tablets will remain the property of the school for 3 years during which time the students can take them home. After which the students will own them" clap2.gif how many tablets will still be working 1 year out not to mention 3 ? None. I have two kids at school here and i still havent spotted one tablet. Do they actually exist.

I hope not, because it'll make kids addictive into emotionless Attention Deficit Disorder kids from a young age...

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"the tablets will remain the property of the school for 3 years during which time the students can take them home. After which the students will own them" clap2.gif how many tablets will still be working 1 year out not to mention 3 ? None. I have two kids at school here and i still havent spotted one tablet. Do they actually exist.

I hope not, because it'll make kids addictive into emotionless Attention Deficit Disorder kids from a young age...

The one child I know of, who has a school tablet does not currently use his school issued tablet at home. Perhaps it is a confidence thing, perhaps he prefers to go out and do other things. I can see there being quite a difference in this respect regarding the rural kids and the latch key city kids.

I have spent 15 years instructing them, my inbuilt technology has no requirement for google thank you.

Then were you exaggerating to make a point Jim?

Sadly, No and the requirements for 'real' aircraft hours prior to commencing flying professionally are becoming less and less.

Funny too regarding the climbing a tree or playing kick can, the kids in our area do just that in the school holidays, bicycle to school too, how can you convert poor parenting into a stick with which to beat technological advancement.

I don't understand, has your computer grammar checker not alerted you to the fact that your statement is ambiguous? What is the relationship about climbing trees and poor parenting? Are you saying kids playing outside do so because of poor parenting and that those that give their kids ipads are good parents? What exactly did your computer mean you to say?

I have spent 15 years instructing them, my inbuilt technology has no requirement for google thank you.

Then were you exaggerating to make a point Jim?

Sadly, No and the requirements for 'real' aircraft hours prior to commencing flying professionally are becoming less and less.

>>Funny too regarding the climbing a tree or playing kick can, the kids in our area do just that in the school holidays, bicycle to school too, how can you convert poor parenting into a stick with which to beat technological advancement.

I don't understand, has your computer grammar checker not alerted you to the fact that your statement is ambiguous? What is the relationship about climbing trees and poor parenting? Are you saying kids playing outside do so because of poor parenting and that those that give their kids ipads are good parents? What exactly did your computer mean you to say?

Well if kids are out climbing trees they are not 'getting fat' as you put it playing on a computer...

Your comment "Schools now full of fat kids because a computer game offers a more

intense experience at home than they perceive can be experienced by

climbing a tree or playing kick can"

Now if your kids get fat you can blame technology, I prefer to lay responsibilty with the parents.

Edited by 473geo

The one child I know of, who has a school tablet does not currently use his school issued tablet at home. Perhaps it is a confidence thing, perhaps he prefers to go out and do other things. I can see there being quite a difference in this respect regarding the rural kids and the latch key city kids.

Dear geo, you have to be a bit more clear in your posts. It seems you know one kid (presumably not your kid) who has a school tabletPC and assuming he can take it home doesn't seem to use it there. You don't seem to know why he doesn't but you seem to know he doesn't. Very unclear if this observation is an isolated case or representative for all his P1 fellow kids in that particular school. Following you use what you do not clearly know as 'being able to see' a difference between rural and city kids 'in that aspect'. The 'latch key' part I do not understand at all.

Could you please rephrase your post to clarify these issues?

Good evening Rubl

When I was speaking at length to my wife about the type of Tablet to buy for my children she informed me of children in the immediate vicinity who currently possessed a tablet and where it originated. This was one child mentioned, so in order to further evaluate the usage I enquired if he used the tablet at home, specifically to play games. I was informed instantly that he did not. This terminated my interest in a way that I felt it was not in my interets to persue this line of enquiry. I then saw another two tablets which were bought 'locally' and was not impressed by the screen quality, so I purchased a samsung for my son because I felt this would be easier on his eyes if he lapses into prolonged use. There you have my encounter regarding the P1 tablet and all the associated actions.

As for my further comment, in rural areas I feel the 'play' ethic after school and at weekends is a stronger draw on many occasions than perhaps it would be in the city. My observation is mainly based on the fact that my children can roam over a large area be it on bicycles or walking to play with friends, they do not require parental supervision, however as everyone knows everyone in the village you can imagine the adults keep an eye out from distance.

I compare this with the chidren I have noted playing in the restricted places around the 'condo' blocks. Making the point that if both parents are working the child will let themselves into the home on their return (latch key kid) from school and may be more inclined to watch TV or play a tablet game than play outside with a group like their rural counterpart.

Edited by 473geo

Good evening Rubl

When I was speaking at length to my wife about the type of Tablet to buy for my children she informed me of children in the immediate vicinity who currently possessed a tablet and where it originated. This was one child mentioned, so in order to further evaluate the usage I enquired if he used the tablet at home, specifically to play games. I was informed instantly that he did not. This terminated my interest in a way that I felt it was not in my interets to persue this line of enquiry. I then saw another two tablets which were bought 'locally' and was not impressed by the screen quality, so I purchased a samsung for my son because I felt this would be easier on his eyes if he lapses into prolonged use. There you have my encounter regarding the P1 tablet and all the associated actions.

As for my further comment, in rural areas I feel the 'play' ethic after school and at weekends is a stronger draw on many occasions than perhaps it would be in the city. My observation is mainly based on the fact that my children can roam over a large area be it on bicycles or walking to play with friends, they do not require parental supervision, however as everyone knows everyone in the village you can imagine the adults keep an eye out from distance.

I compare this with the chidren I have noted playing in the restricted places around the 'condo' blocks. Making the point that if both parents are working the child will let themselves into the home on their return (latch key kid) from school and may be more inclined to watch TV or play a tablet game than play outside with a group like their rural counterpart.

Ah, so buy upmarket is good parenting, or would good parenting mean not letting your son lapse into prolonged use?

Good evening Rubl

My dear geo, strictly speaking you did not confirm that the kid with the tablet had his tablet from school especially since you refer to "another two tablets which were bought 'locally'". Furthermore the school tablet has a 7" screen which probably wouldn't be within the requirements you set for a tabletPC for your son.

So your encounter with the P1 tabletPC seems really limited to the point you couldn't possibly know how good it is in school use, how good the program supplied by the MoE, etc., etc. My knowledge of that is also limited, but I seem to have read a bit more about it than you seem to have bothered to do. There are even some topics here on TV where people who have actually touched a school tabletPC have written their report on those tabletPCs.

Now back to the OP of tabletPCs to be handed out again and most likely even this school year. Luckily books are still being printed.

PS the city kids will of course use their tabletPC at home, use the opportunity to "visit places......all over the world...where a simple IT connection can take them"

Edited by rubl

Good evening Rubl

Ah, so buy upmarket is good parenting, or would good parenting mean not letting your son lapse into prolonged use?

Prevention is better than cure. Now if you care to look back through my posts you will see I recommended using the tablet for 2 hours max a day, and for home work, where the apps could be useful. But I guess you missed that post, you wonder why I anticipate where you are trying to go, and am rather condescending regarding your comments!!

Edited by 473geo

Good evening Rubl

My dear geo, strictly speaking you did not confirm that the kid with the tablet had his tablet from school especially since you refer to "another two tablets which were bought 'locally'". Furthermore the school tablet has a 7" screen which probably wouldn't be within the requirements you set for a tabletPC for your son.

So your encounter with the P1 tabletPC seems really limited to the point you couldn't possibly know how good it is in school use, how good the program supplied by the MoE, etc., etc. My knowledge of that is also limited, but I seem to have read a bit more about it than you seem to have bothered to do. There are even some topics here on TV where people who have actually touched a school tabletPC have written their report on those tabletPCs.

Now back to the OP of tabletPCs to be handed out again and most likely even this school year. Luckily books are still being printed.

PS the city kids will of course use their tabletPC at home, use the opportunity to "visit places......all over the world...where a simple IT connection can take them"

Then you can confirm the school tablets have global access as you intimate in your P.S Rubl?

Good evening Rubl

Prevention is better than cure. Now if you care to look back through my posts you will see I recommended using the tablet for 2 hours max a day, and for home work, where the apps could be useful. But I guess you missed that post, you wonder why I anticipate where you are trying to go, and am rather condescending regarding your comments!!

As your "encounter regarding the P1 tablet and all the associated actions" is rather limited I'm surprised you are able to make suggestions on it's possible use. Mind you, in or outside school too long hours behind a screen just busy 'learning' would seem hard on P1 kids.

So based on the fact that you anticipate where you think I am trying to go, you are condescending to someone simply because they may have a different viewpoint to you. That's not very educated now is it. So your, turn, go back through my posts and explain exactly which comments you have issue with that make you 'anticipate' I am going somewhere that deserves your condescending and patronizing remarks.

Good evening Rubl

Not like you and the guys on Tvisa to totally overlook the point I make Rubl

In the not to distant future all material regarding finances, purchasing, travel, taxes, etc will be available on line not to mention the current plethora of social activities......I want my children to be very comfortable with using technology to enable the use of these programs and information. Now as young children are deemed to be most receptive then we should let them loose, if they learn by games to move around the systems so be it. By the way I have set up a games and an educational section on the tablet and viewed a couple of the learninjg apps so have limited exposure, but of course not to the school tablets, a point which you appear to think is rather important in my insistence that Thai children have the right to be technically aware.

So based on the fact that you anticipate where you think I am trying to go, you are condescending to someone simply because they may have a different viewpoint to you. That's not very educated now is it. So your, turn, go back through my posts and explain exactly which comments you have issue with that make you 'anticipate' I am going somewhere that deserves your condescending and patronizing remarks.

Not working, not going off topic nice try..

Edited by 473geo

I posted way way back asking whether this was gong to be an ongoing program or a one off but it seems no one including the great supporter knows.

You see these things advance at a great rate and what is state of the art today will be obsolete next year or soon after.

Take touch screen that abound today, how long was it since they were introduced and what will be the next advancement that so many will want to have?

My point being that if this a one off, "We kept our election promise" thing then it will be of limited use.

Much better and I would imagine cheaper to equip schools with good computer rooms that can be used by all grades and can be kept up to date with the latest bells and whistles, preferably, in the bigger schools at least with a specialist computer room teacher who can put together ongoing teaching programs for each class.

Yes I know some schools have a computer room.

Static computer rooms are becoming a thing of the past, flexibility and mobility are the current mode. I know of one member of my family using a laptop for school work at 14. None of your expensive maintenance or IT support costs.

Good evening Rubl

Then you can confirm the school tablets have global access as you intimate in your P.S Rubl?

The tabletPCs are supposed to have WiFi capabilities, but the spec's of the first 800,000++ ordered last year seemed a bit unclear. Still WiFi is supposed to be present.

On 2012-02-03 we had "Dual core CPU of at least 1 GHz fabricated on a process smaller than 45 nanometres, 512 MB of RAM, 7-inch screen and 16 GB of flash storage, GPS and Wi-Fi and a full-sized SD-card slot."

In March 2012 we had "1.2 GHz CPU, 1 Gb ram, 3,600 mAh battery and GPS", later "16Gb storage" was added to the spec. The ICT Minister Anudith Nakornthap said at the contract signing ceremony on 2012-04-11 that the spec was "2GHz CPU, 1GB RAM and a 3600 mAh battery, Android 4.0 operating system and built-in GPS for monitoring and tracking purposes". He also said to be "confident that the students will receive their new tablet PCs by July, while revealing that the accommodating Wi-Fi network is nearly complete." and of course "He added that there was no need for parents to worry about misuse because the tablet computers contained Global Positioning System (GPS) to trace users’ contents and their whereabouts."

2012-05-14 Meanwhile, the Education Ministry will be in charge of the distribution of the devices to schools across the country, while also seeking a budget for wifi internet installation in schools to support the use of the tablet PCs .

2012-07-20 member trimsh posted on the actual unit he got for testing, WiFi seems to be present http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/570944-tablet-computer-distribution-kicks-off-in-thailand/page-8#entry5502007

Edited by rubl

Static computer rooms are becoming a thing of the past, flexibility and mobility are the current mode. I know of one member of my family using a laptop for school work at 14. None of your expensive maintenance or IT support costs.

Meanwhile in Thailand ... ...

Good evening Rubl

Not like you and the guys on Tvisa to totally overlook the point I make Rubl

In the not to distant future all material regarding finances, purchasing, travel, taxes, etc will be available on line not to mention the current plethora of social activities......I want my children to be very comfortable with using technology to enable the use of these programs and information. Now as young children are deemed to be most receptive then we should let them loose, if they learn by games to move around the systems so be it. By the way I have set up a games and an educational section on the tablet and viewed a couple of the learninjg apps so have limited exposure, but of course not to the school tablets, a point which you appear to think is rather important in my insistence that Thai children have the right to be technically aware.

My dear chap, the topic is "Thai students set for Mass Tablet Computer Handout. I actualized the topic by posting on recent development regarding the 'set for handout', a handout to P1/M1 kids which looks to be started real soon now, after minor details checked off (bid started, select, contract, delivery).

Or in your own words as you used towards GentlemanJim: "Not working, not going off topic nice try.."

The ICT Minister Anudith Nakornthap said at the contract signing ceremony on 2012-04-11 that [...] " there was no need for parents to worry

about misuse because the tablet computers contained Global Positioning System (GPS) to trace users’ contents and their whereabouts".

Not even close, Minister.

Meanwhile in Thailand ... ...

Rubl is wondering what the latest available red T shirt looks like

• Like 1

Do 1st world countries have a mass handout of tablets to improve their educational standards? If so, the schools my grand-children attend must have been missed.

Are 1st world students IT aware?

IMO, the arguments for these tablets seem to support the political benefits, rather than the educational benefits.

An educated population might change the political allegiance of part of the electorate. Work out the winners and losers in that scenario.

Students in the 1st world are keen to acquire knowledge, but my experience is that Thais have no desire to "think outside the box". Indeed, Thai culture doesn't encourage free-thought and a questioning mind.

Any competent educational system relies on accrued knowledge and experience and teaching skills. Perhaps the flaw in the Thai education system is obvious - how can you teach effectively what you have failed to grasp yourself? A wery welevant question.

Unless the tablets are replacing the teachers.

Technology is there to support, not replace, traditional education, otherwise Thai students will become 'Wiki-holics'.

I remain convinced that there are many changes which can be made to the education system which aren't expensive or headline grabbers, but would be effective. Tablets are the icing on the cake, not the cake itself.

• Like 1

How many years have the children been waiting for these alternative educational enhancements you refer to? Technology gives them the opportunity to search beyond the information provided by their teachers and "look outside the box".

All I want to say after reading this thread is that while I have no reason to believe Geo isn't a bright and decent guy, I for one am pleased that he has no role in education policy or, worse, the classroom.

• Like 1

How many years have the children been waiting for these alternative educational enhancements you refer to? Technology gives them the opportunity to search beyond the information provided by their teachers and "look outside the box".

I think that education is more than the presenting of information. School years should be about preparing individuals for their future in society.

School mottos of "respect, achievement, discipline and personal standards" are more relevant than a random accumulation of 'data'.

Put some flesh on the bones of the Thai education system BEFORE 'investing' in the unknown.

BTW I hate to admit it, but having had issues at my daughter's school, which have been resolved amicably, I believe there is an honest wish to include parents. Students and their achievements seem to come first. Sincere apologies.

• Like 1

I think that education is more than the presenting of information. School years should be about preparing individuals for their future in society.

School mottos of "respect, achievement, discipline and personal standards" are more relevant than a random accumulation of 'data'.

Put some flesh on the bones of the Thai education system BEFORE 'investing' in the unknown.

BTW I hate to admit it, but having had issues at my daughter's school, which have been resolved amicably, I believe there is an honest wish to include parents. Students and their achievements seem to come first. Sincere apologies.

Good to see you agree with me Noistar, I made this point earlier in the thread. I'm sure Steele joe must think you a decent chap too!

Good to see you agree with me Noistar, I made this point earlier in the thread. I'm sure Steele joe must think you a decent chap too!

An example of being able to think critically and analytically: I did not express any opinion on whether you are a decent chap or not, I simply said I have no reason to believe you are not. Just because your thinking is very skewed on this topic (and that perhaps it is due to a certain overriding agenda), that wouldn't mean you weren't a decent chap.

And I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

:)

PS: I can't seem to summon the energy to point out how it is that if you made that point earlier in the thread, you also undermined it.