Thailand Working Hours?

sammy1sammy1

It totally varies depending on the type of job and the size of the employer. Regulations are widely flouted.

Outside of government jobs and multi-nationals, most even white-collar workers are expected to work a six-day week, and often at least ten hours a day.

The maids at my international school have two days off per month and work from 6:30am to 5:30pm. They now make 300B per day now with the new minimum wage, before it was 245.

And they are very happy for the work and consider it a cushy job - some end up marrying farang as a result, which is like winning the lottery.

Keep in mind most employers go along with the Thai cultural practices wrt endless days off for family emergencies, and require very little actual hard work while on the job, probably about 25% of real productivity from my observations.

This would not be true for many factory jobs which are highly regimented but then often much more highly paid.

Bank 9.00am-3.00pm

Public Enterprise 9.00am-2.30 pm

Me 8.30-5.30

-

I hope you're not claiming that most Thais in the first two categories actually get to leave the office at those "quitting times", those are more like "doors open for customers" times, irrelevant to actual working hours.

I know many many office workers that are usually still wrapping things up well past ten hours after they started, special project crunch times twelve hours isn't unusual and yes even in some government jobs, but even international banks drive them pretty hard as well.

• Like 1

Bank 9.00am-3.00pm

Public Enterprise 9.00am-2.30 pm

Me 8.30-5.30

-

I hope you're not claiming that most Thais in the first two categories actually get to leave the office at those "quitting times", those are more like "doors open for customers" times, irrelevant to actual working hours.

I know many many office workers that are usually still wrapping things up well past ten hours after they started, special project crunch times twelve hours isn't unusual and yes even in some government jobs, but even international banks drive them pretty hard as well.

I arrive at workplace at 8.29 and leave 5.30. So the opening time is 1 minute before working time.

Edited by Nuna

I arrive at workplace at 8.29 and leave 5.30 sharp. So opening time is 1 minute before working time.

-

But the question wasn't asking about your specific situation, it was a more general one. Many many even high-end offices work on the principle that most of the time you have to stay until the work is finished, and that can require 10-12 hour work days when the pressure's on.

That is counterbalanced to some extent by flexibility personal/family leave issues, and the fact that most of the time, very low levels of actual productivity are required.

Bank staff are usually there between 5 and 7 pm when they shut at 3.30.

My friend works for one of the foreign banks.

Her official working hours are 8.30 - 17.00

She actually works 8.30 to 21.00 Mon to Friday, Saturday 10.00 to 17.00 all without overtime payment as she is in a mangerial position.

The Thai working hours are as long as the boss tells his staff they are going to work for, and this is the same the world over.

Back in my younger days we had set working hours, times and days, all with union backing and government regulated. Anything over and above our normal agreed and contracted working times was considered as overtime. After hours we were paid time and a half, weekends double time and bank holidays treble time.

These days employees are expected to work at times and on days to suit the company, to be available if and when required to work. They got around the paying of extra wages for out of office times by rearranging working hours into shifts, which means staff are on basic time wages whatever hours and days they work. In many cases staff are made to feel obliged to work and put in extra time for free. Another con is that staff maybe paid up to a certain time, then expected to stay without pay until they have tidied up, cashed up or prepared their equipment or whatever it is they do for the next day`s shift.

So glad that I am now retired and out of industry completely.

My wife is Snr Accts for a branch of a nationwide insurance company, however as they operate on a franchise-type way conditions vary office to office.

Standard working hours Mon-Fri 8am to 5pm, with 1 hr for lunch

Often there till 6pm.

Until December they also opened Saturdays 8am-4pm - from January her branch no longer opened Saturdays; generally only gov't jobs get a two-day weekend.

They are miserable ****s.

Other branches have uniform provided and ongoing allowance for replacement - not here, but have to maintain high standard of dress/presentation.

Offices fitted with aircon but owner/manager has disconnected and they have numerous floor fans instead. Supplies own pens, and toilet tissue too!

Prefers/requests staff have their lunch break in the office rather than leave the premises, so they can answer the phones

Salary - monthly in cash, often 3-4 days late, till one staff member builds up courage to ask for it

Six paid days annual leave per year - understand this is the absolute legal minimum

Equivalent of six weeks salary paid up-front on staff commencement. This is a security bond for any staff involved in cash handling, eg if takings are short, someone will be blamed and lose that amount, also retained if 1. staff member leaves within 6mths of commencement and 2. staff member does not give adequate notice of resignation.. Wife initially went there on a 2mth fixed-term finance contract and didn't have to pay, and has refused to since going on staff on basis their in-house security is so poor she will not be liable for another staff member's bad cash handling or theft. He backed down on that on; a small victory. Understand this security bond is fairly standard for bank/finance staff.

She is job searching elsewhere at present, but doesn't want to leave till another job secured - apart from above reasons, as if they were not enough - a couple that have made conditions intolerable -

owner/manager in relationship with one of staff (best not tell his wife), which makes working conditions difficult as this woman no longer feels the need to work (and an added extra, he gave her a gift of a miniature lapdog thing, Paris Hilton-style, that pisses and craps on the office floor, yaps at customers); and what was 'the last straw' the new office assistant, about 22, was taken to a (supposed) golf tournament with him on her 4th day at work. Never came back the next day - there was no golf of course.

Welcome to Thailand Human Resources

At our place it is 07:30 - 16:30 daily for both office and workshop. But this is Monday - Friday, Thai labor law states a six day week.

Again, this is not counting overtime, travelling, etc.