Moto Titles In Your Name

MelindaC

Hi all,

I recently purchased a used moto in Chiang Rai. The dealership is holding the title until I get my work Visa (end of April) They told me to come back once I get the Visa, they will give me the title and then I have to go to Mae Sai to get the title transfered.

I've talked to some people who said this should not be a problem, but does anyone know if I will need to get a Thai moto license in order to have the bike transfered to my name? I have my US drivers license...

A lot of people suggest I put the bike in a Thai person's name to avoid the hassle, but I would prefer it to be in my name.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

Melinda I am not 100% sure but I believe you do not need a license to reg a bike in your name

Of course to obtain better insurance than the basic mandatory parabol you may be asked by the insurer

or need to be licensed to be covered under full comprehensive

But AFAIK there is no law that states you need a license to own

Edited by mania

Mae Sai have nothing to do with it. They are the immigration department. You will go there when you get your work permit and then get your visa extended.

But, they have no concerns about whether or not you own a vehicle.

The Land Transport Department (motor registry) is near the airport. It's near the ministry of labour where you will go to get your work permit.

The LTD is a purple building.

You can go there to get your licence and also to change ownership of vehicles.

If you are buying through a dealer, they should be able to do the transfer of ownership for you. Especially if they are waiting on your work permit.

The first bike I bought here I registered in my old school director's name because I didn't have my work permit yet.

He came to the dealer with me, signed some papers and gave them copies of his id. I rode the bike away and then went back a couple of weeks later to pick up the greenbook that had the ownership transferred to him.

I had no problems with that, with police stops or anything, but now I've bought a new bike a couple of months ago and I want to sell my old bike.

I don't work at that school any more, so I have to contact my old director, arrange a time to meet, transfer the ownership to me at the LTD and then be in a position to sell the bike.

Not impossible by any means, but a bit a of a hassle (hence the reason I haven't taken any steps to actually do all of that yet) smile.png

The advantage of having it a local's name is that if you have to leave the country quickly (eg. visa expired/no job) they can still sell the bike if you're not in the country. Provided it's someone you trust enough to do that and send you the money...

My new bike I registered in my name as I bought it privately and and have a work permit now. It will make it easier for me to sell it when the time comes.

As far as I know, you don't need a work permit to register a bike, but the work permit serves as a proof of address.

If you don't have a work permit, you need some other proof of address (residence book or something - I don't know exactly as I use my work permit)

If you have your US licence you should be able to get a Thai one without too much drama. I just had to do a computer exam, colour blindness test and red light reaction test.

No practical test. Since I had car and a bike licence in Australia, they gave me a car and bike licence here.

Your US licence by itself is no good here. You need an international licence to legally drive/ride on the roads. From memory, I had to show both my Aus licence and international licence when I got my Thai licence, but I may be wrong. The international only lasts a year, so I got my Thai licence about a month before the international expired.

Hope that helps,

Rich

Edited by Riggi

I've bought and sold a bike while on a Tourist Visa

Required the Thai Immigration residency letter on both occasions

Same with Drivers Licences - car/bike which I'm about to renew (1 year, not 5) today - OK on Tourist Visa accompanied by the Residency letter, medical cert, passport copies

I like the Drivers Licence - useful as a form of ID esp as has Passport no. printed on it. Living/traveling so often near the Cambodian border where we have numerous army checkpoints I've had to produce it many times.

If your US licenses has a motorcycle stamp very easy to get a thai drivers licenses. If you donot have the stamp a bit more work but not impossible. Getting the licenses and the bike registered in your name is easy but you will need a letter of residency from immigration to do both. Get your landloard to write a quick letter stating where you live and the address take this to immigration 500baht its a done deal but you will need two letters one for each function.

You haven't said your age. This can dictate your type of visa, and hence your status in buying a moto.

A work permit helps big time. The experts here will need more info.

If you check the avatar it's probably Mel. So my guess is she is somewhere between 19 an 65! biggrin.png