Import Costs To Thailand?

Pokerstar

So im moving to Thailand, Chiang Mai permanently soon and I regularly buy things off of ebay. So I was wondering if anyone knows what is the import cost to Thailand, at what value do you NOT have to pay any import costs? For example, im from Sweden and you dont have to pay import costs for anything under $50 coming from Asia or US. So for example, if I would import something from Hong Kong or China, would I have to pay import cost for things from there as they are from Asia? Or am I only to pay import costs for things from Europe or US?

Because Asia is Thailand included, shouldnt there be a no-import cost?

Thanks.

My experience with mailing things here from my country is.... you will pay some sort of customs fee almost every time. This is Thailand, forget about laws and regulations and what you think is appropriate and customary. All they care about here is money, so that's what drives it all. Good luck though. But I wouldn't be "importing" anything here, as you leave yourself open to unreasonable fees. Though I've heard they can be negotiated Thai style. Bring whatever you want in your suitcases and you'll be fine. Sorry this isn't a more positive note. I think it's just one of those days for me.

• Like 2

I have had a few things shipped in recently from Europe and Hong kong/China, mostly from Ebay. These are one offs for personal use. Everything that was under (about)150USD had no import duty attached. Only one item that was around 175USD attracted any import tax.

I have had a few things shipped in recently from Europe and Hong kong/China, mostly from Ebay. These are one offs for personal use. Everything that was under (about)150USD had no import duty attached. Only one item that was around 175USD attracted any import tax.

How much did you pay for the item that was 175? Im thinking about importing some clothes and sports nutrition that I cant find in thailand.

When shopping online, I've learned to factor in a standard import duty of 30% of the value + shipping cost, which is what regulations allow customs to charge. As far as I know, there's no minimum value. They tend to go by the size of the box or whatever is declared on the declarations form. Usually I'll get a slip in the mailbox telling me to go down to the post office to pay the duty and collect the package. Sometimes you'll be charged and sometimes you won't, there's no telling, so the best strategy is to be prepared to pay. This situation has taught me to a) find what I want in Thailand, b ) pick thing up while traveling, c) receive shipments at my overseas address and bring them back once or twice a year after I go there, and d) do without.

Edited by Puwa

How much did you pay for the item that was 175? Im thinking about importing some clothes and sports nutrition that I cant find in thailand.

About 1500B

I've imported many different things from the UK, USA, China and Hong Kong. So far I've been lucky and only paid import duty once, on a large parcel of electrical goods from Hong Kong, which cost me 15% duty (on 15,000 Baht). My view is that DHL, Fedex etc are more likely to attract import duty than normal parcel post, but generally you are at risk once the value goes higher. I regularly buy Ebay items from Hong Kong and none have attracted the customs yet!

The best method of shipping small items to Thailand is by regular post

DHL / TNT generally will always attract move cost such as clearance fee plus taxes VAT and duties

Shipping by post, if you do get caught for taxes, you go down to the post office pay the taxes and collect your goods

Its the regular visa u get on arrival

And you plan to stay forever? Maybe you need to rethink your visa plan?

Without a non-imm visa you are liable for tax on everything that's not in your luggage, and any restricted items in your luggage.

Best of luck.