Leaving Thailand For Good

homeownership

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As per #27 above, I take umbrage (not really) that I melt away in the background and am not very hospitable. I am very hospitable with several comely young Thai persons and often with my neighbors farang or otherwise. Several Thais, male & female, I have helped through school, gotten better jobs, & mostly with those who do not speak English.

If I wanted to hangout with farang males, there would be some excellent places I could do it: California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, etc.

I'm a serial expat, currently living in Greece. I tend to avoid the expat community and I never go to expat bars. If I wanted to hang out with Brits, I would have stayed in UK. I like Greece a lot, and speak, read and write (although my spelling is lousy) the language. I have no problems here, despite the current economic climate. I'm not being curmudgeonly about other Brits - I do have a couple of good expat friends here. I just don't see why I should spend time with someone I wouldn't give the time of day if I was in a pub (what's left of them) in the UK just because they also choose to live here. That's not why I'm here. And I will be the same when I move to Thailand with my (Thai) wife in a few years.

Over the past 10 years the pace of developments has made Thailand a more developed country, parts of it we like as mentioned in previous posts, other parts we dont like, such as the increased costs of living. It has been made a point, that everywhere is experiencing the same phenomomen and that countries that used to have a low costs of living are getting expensive.

This isnt to say the issue is black and white and that we are willing to throw in the towel and leave for parts unknown, just because we dont get our own way on everthing, I think we can all agree that would be stupid, but we can certainly talk about what is the tipping point, what is the final straw for you.

Some posters have made it very clear they will stay regardless of what happens, that great it really is, they also need to appreciate the rest of us are not ammassing at the borders and airports, suitcases packed looking for any reason to leave.

I believe there is a big grey area and within this "tolerance zone" if you like theres a lot of wiggle room, but undoubely Thailand isnt the same place is was 10 years ago, where in the world is, but talk about it, what has changed for you.

For me, I have noticed when I used visit Pattaya, that I could go leave Bally High Peer and head for Koh Lan and stay on a beach there all day, come back at 6pm, eat a hearty meal and a bottle of wine and pay no more that 1000 THB, that was in 2007. I doubt I could do this today.

Now is this a reason for leaving Thailand for good, no of course not, but compound this with other factors and feedback from neirbouring countries would give me pause for thought.

There are pull factors that attract people to Thailand too, such as tourism, dentistry, plastic surgery, education, culture, royalty, heritage and of course sex tourism. Each has their place and while some people tell me they have had enough and wish to leave, they are seemingly taking their sweet time about it. The reason being is perhaps they are frustrated, they bought into a dream and the dream has evolved, not turned into a nightmare, but is different to what they had planned.

Other places neirbouring Thailand are far from perfect, but there is a growing number of people who just want Thailand to be how it was 30 years ago and these people may be inclined to try out other countries.

The Mods have given us (especially me) a lot of rope on this subject and I am grateful, one thing is blazingly clear, we do not all agree on leaving or staying in Thailand, and maybe this depends on the reason we came here in the first place.

The people who want Thailand to be "how it was 30 years ago" and move to Cambodia will quickly come to regret that decision when they need to find quality medical care (which they will need to, considering how old their memory puts them...)

Very very good point.

After a good deal of soul searching, I decided that it was time to weigh up the pros and cons of living here in Thailand or returning to Europe. For me it would be best to live here, for my wife and children however returning to Europe won hands down. So sadly we will be leaving next month and my children will start a new English school this September. We will then take holidays here and enjoy our selves for a few weeks every year, comfortable in the knowledge that our children will have a good education and the family will receive excellent health care even if I drop dead. Top priority for me, the children.

The best of luck man.

After a good deal of soul searching, I decided that it was time to weigh up the pros and cons of living here in Thailand or returning to Europe. For me it would be best to live here, for my wife and children however returning to Europe won hands down. So sadly we will be leaving next month and my children will start a new English school this September. We will then take holidays here and enjoy our selves for a few weeks every year, comfortable in the knowledge that our children will have a good education and the family will receive excellent health care even if I drop dead. Top priority for me, the children.

Sir, I salute you - instead of just banging on about how great it would be to leave, you are actually doing something about it. I wish you every success.

I agree.

To be fair, it is not rocket-science about the education comparison - so in theory, anyone having kids with a Thai should move back home ??

For me, I came to Thailand because it had much more to offer than the UK and having kids would not tempt me back.

There are Thai-Chinese schools all over Thailand with international accreditation and not where the kids learn Chinese, Japanese, and English in addition to their Thai studies so I don't get why some feel they have to haul there kids around the world just for school and language purposes.

There are Thai-Chinese schools all over Thailand with international accreditation and not where the kids learn Chinese, Japanese, and English in addition to their Thai studies so I don't get why some feel they have to haul there kids around the world just for school and language purposes.

-

IMO, people that are happy to have their kids educated in Thailand are either:

1. Rich enough to afford to send them to one of the international schools that actually does as good a job as nearly any private or public back home - usually 400K per child per year, some 600+, and there are schools that charge in that range and don't actually deliver the goods, maybe a dozen really good schools by international standards in the whole kingdom. IMO

2. Deluded into thinking just because one of the lesser school calls itself "international" or "English programme" or "trilingual" or whatever, that they actually deliver a decent education. 99% of the time they're run by Thais and operate on the same "pedagogical principles" that operate throughout the kingdom - rote memorization, don't question the teacher - not talking "challenge" the teacher which should be encouraged but actually discouraging genuine "I don't understand" or "I want further details" questioning, no independent critical thinking. In other words just fill their heads with already- or soon-to-be obsolete content rather than teaching how to be curious creative life-long learners, totally inadequate to thrive in today's increasingly challenging world.

3. The kind of parents that put their own comfort and enjoyment of life ahead of their children's future.

Now personally I recognize that group 3 are probably the majority of people on this planet so I'm not going to criticise on that basis.

But if you consider yourself not in that group, and not so lucky to be in group #1, then I'm strongly suggesting you're in the 2nd group.

If anyone can suggest less expensive schools anywhere in Thailand that they feel are excellent - not talking about pre-primary only but full-on K-12 - I'd really appreciate your replying with specifics.

Negative feedback on specific schools should be done via PM.

Edited by FunFon

Sure. In post #188 the world of non-Thai citizens in Thailand with school age children was divided into 3 categories:

1. Rich

2. Deluded

3. Uncaring of their children's welfare.

I said that I disagreed. He has the right to offer his 50 satang's worth of opinion and I have the right to say that's just about what it is worth.

I have assisted in particular 2 Thai students who attended Thai public schools: One received a scholarship to attend The London School of Economics and the other is now in PhD program ex-Thailand on Thai government scholarship as well.

Edited by JLCrab

Sure. In post #188 the world of non-Thai citizens in Thailand with school age children was divided into 3 categories:

1. Rich

2. Deluded

3. Uncaring of their children's welfare.

I said that I disagreed. He has the right to offer his 50 satang's worth of opinion and I have the right to say that's just about what it is worth.

-

Yes I think we understood that level of meaning.

The question is how would you define that fourth category more specifically than "misc / other"?

For example, wrt category 2, you may think there are reasonably-priced schools that give a sufficiently high standard of quality education.

That may well be due to our having different standards, which if extreme enough may put you (in my opinion) in the third category. Which disagreement of course wouldn't be worth discussing since it'd be based on a difference of values rather than facts.

But if you have actual experience-based or otherwise authoritative knowledge of specific schools that I (and others here) don't know about, and that sort of information would actually be helpful and add value to the discussion beyond simply stating that you don't agree.

Edited by FunFon

I don't have any information on specific schools. My personal experience only involves a 6-year old so it is too early to tell. As I said, the 2 students as mentioned above achieved those results after attending public schools. BTW both are totally blind.

• Like 1

I don't have any information on specific schools. My personal experience only involves a 6-year old so it is too early to tell. As I said, the 2 students as mentioned above achieved those results after attending public schools. BTW both are totally blind.

-

Good point - some students, often especially well-supported by parents and/or others, can succeed despite sub-optimal schooling.

In fact home schooling is an excellent option for those with the time and ability to do so.

Niche group perhaps but deserving of a fourth category.

So if you home-schooled your kids you might have to cut back to only about 100 posts per week instead of the 250+ pace you're on now?

-

Of course not, I'd integrate it into their lesson plans, let them post with my account giggle.gif

Edited by FunFon

I have quit 3 jobs because the "Director" wanted me to pass students who evidently would fail. At some schools it´s more about the image. Image is money. How can you refuse to get into the school where nobody can fail?

The universities are not much better here and in many cases even when it comes to Chulalongkorn or Thammasat. I mean how else do you explain these inept politicians being able to get the positions they are now in?

Edited by maxme

I have quit 3 jobs because the "Director" wanted me to pass students who evidently would fail. At some schools it´s more about the image. Image is money. How can you refuse to get into the school where nobody can fail?

The universities are not much better here and in many cases even when it comes to Chulalongkorn or Thammasat. I mean how else do you explain these inept politicians being able to get the positions they are now in?

-

You obviously have no understanding of Thai culture and how schools here work - more and more ads on ajarn.com now include exactly that hiring spec, for exactly the reason you cite.

But not a problem limited to here, plenty of tertiary institutions back home are run to make money, even some government-run ones, and will give every warm bum in a seat their degree.

How do you think all those apparently-not-bright politicians here managed to get NES-country graduate qualifications, yet can barely speak English?

How do you add someone to ignore ?

never mind, found it, thanks

Watch the ignores you have a great thread going on the Chiang Mai forum you don't want to miss any of it.

It really is a neat positive thread.

I don't know where number of posts record holder came from. but I do believe Mistress whiplash one of the Moderators has over 30,000 of them.