Phuket Airport - International Departure

Felt 35

Check out how many planes are leaving at roughly the same time as yours. There are lots of websites with flight schedules, I recommend flightstats.com for precise information. But anyway, allow at least one hours - just for the peace of your mind.

I usally make sure I have 11/2 - 2 hours when flying International and its usually plenty of time but thought it was best to hear if someone had recent knowledge about how busy it is this days with all the media hype about records in tourist numbers!

if ur leaving during the day its easy but it seems late at night the place is full of travelers to Korea/Japan

Very seldom do i check in more than 90 minutes before departure and still end up waiting 30++ minutes in the departure area.

Went to KL few days back and passport control was as quick as i've seen it. However the immigration guy asked if i had a Thai wife and where she was from and does she work bar to which i shrugged my shoulders and walked by saying 'mai kao jai' (sp)......the guy obviously trying to piss me off and get a reaction. I really think these immigration knobs mob are an unsavoury bunch and a terrible forefront for Phuket tourism....

Edited by Rickster
  • Like 1

Went to KL few days back and passport control was as quick as i've seen it. However the immigration guy asked if i had a Thai wife and where she was from and does she work bar to which i shrugged my shoulders and walked by saying 'mai kao jai' (sp)......the guy obviously trying to piss me off and get a reaction. I really think these immigration knobs mob are an unsavoury bunch and a terrible forefront for Phuket tourism....

Was that the 8 am flight Rickster?

I've got an upcoming 8 am flight and was thinking of getting there around 7 am as one hour to do self checkin and go through passport control should be enough time.

I've got an upcoming 8 am flight and was thinking of getting there around 7 am as one hour to do self checkin and go through passport control should be enough time.

No actually it was the 13.30pm AirAsia flight and although there were 8 lines maybe 10 deep they seemed to be getting through then at a fair rate. I've done the early morning flight recently too and you'll have ample time, the airport is fairly quiet first thing, no need to rock up so early but better safe than sorry i guess!!

No actually it was the 13.30pm AirAsia flight and although there were 8 lines maybe 10 deep they seemed to be getting through then at a fair rate. I've done the early morning flight recently too and you'll have ample time, the airport is fairly quiet first thing, no need to rock up so early but better safe than sorry i guess!!

Cheers, thanks.

I flew yesterday morning to KL on the 0800 AirAsia flight. Immigration was a nightmare. Queues were right back outside the entry doors.

Took a full hour to get through.

They ended up delaying our departure as there were still several people stuck in immigration. Captain popped out several times to query the ground staff on how many pax they were still waiting on. In the end he called it at 0815, and offloaded 2 passengers.

There were a few things that I noticed while shuffling towards the desks:

- Passengers were reaching the immigration counters either without their departure cards (how do you lose it when it is stapled into your passport?) - or not having them filled out. To their credit, they sent a few back to fill them out, but it still held up the queues

- Quite a few overstays

- Queue jumpers - there were a few large groups on flights to Europe - and I noticed as some came through the doors, they would look for others on their flights and move up to join them.

I'll definitely come earlier next time.

On a positive note - cannot fault AirAsia on their hiring policies. Cabin crew are very easy on the eyes wub.png

I flew yesterday morning to KL on the 0800 AirAsia flight. Immigration was a nightmare. Queues were right back outside the entry doors.

Took a full hour to get through.

They ended up delaying our departure as there were still several people stuck in immigration. Captain popped out several times to query the ground staff on how many pax they were still waiting on. In the end he called it at 0815, and offloaded 2 passengers.

There were a few things that I noticed while shuffling towards the desks:

- Passengers were reaching the immigration counters either without their departure cards (how do you lose it when it is stapled into your passport?) - or not having them filled out. To their credit, they sent a few back to fill them out, but it still held up the queues

- Quite a few overstays

- Queue jumpers - there were a few large groups on flights to Europe - and I noticed as some came through the doors, they would look for others on their flights and move up to join them.

I'll definitely come earlier next time.

On a positive note - cannot fault AirAsia on their hiring policies. Cabin crew are very easy on the eyes wub.png

I guess my 7 am arrival needs to be pushed up a bit. Sounds like a nightmare in the immigration queue.

I guess my 7 am arrival needs to be pushed up a bit. Sounds like a nightmare in the immigration queue.

I may have been unlucky - it was certainly busy the other day. However I think it would be best to be checked in by 06.30 to beat the queue. I got there at 06.45, and the queues just got longer from then onwards.

If you are feeling generous, you can buy entry to one of the international VIP lounges. They have free food and beverages, including alcoholic, but you are also ushered in through the VIP door on a red carpet and led to an Immigration officer who will take immediate care of you. This can be a wise decision if you have any passport/visa issues. I used this when I had a new passport and needed the visa transferred from my old passport. They did it without hesitation. The cost, as I recall back then, was about 1200 Baht for the first lounge (with alcohol limited to beer and wine) or 1400 Baht for the lounge futher inside (which has beer, wine and also has spirits). The food was fine, even some very good bread.

If you are feeling generous, you can buy entry to one of the international VIP lounges. They have free food and beverages, including alcoholic, but you are also ushered in through the VIP door on a red carpet and led to an Immigration officer who will take immediate care of you. This can be a wise decision if you have any passport/visa issues. I used this when I had a new passport and needed the visa transferred from my old passport. They did it without hesitation. The cost, as I recall back then, was about 1200 Baht for the first lounge (with alcohol limited to beer and wine) or 1400 Baht for the lounge futher inside (which has beer, wine and also has spirits). The food was fine, even some very good bread.

I fly business so lounge is provided but did not know it was an alternative to buy entry to one at Phuket Airport!

Flying Business Class does not get you through passport control any faster, buying entry to these lounges gets you taken on a red carpet dirtectly to Immingration.

JD, where do you buy them? I just rec'd a new PP and will probably run into confusion at the imm Q on the way out next month. I have the old PP and a letter from the Embassy, but VIP red carpet treatment might be better. And a few glasses of wine couldn't hurt either.

I know that if you fly Biz Class with Malaysian Airlines you are taken by a uniformed lady through VIP Immigration Security and direct to the lounge.

Alas with Thai even with Gold Card you have to Q same as everybody else but the lounge at Thai is much better.

Flying Business Class does not get you through passport control any faster, buying entry to these lounges gets you taken on a red carpet dirtectly to Immingration.

JD, where do you buy them? I just rec'd a new PP and will probably run into confusion at the imm Q on the way out next month. I have the old PP and a letter from the Embassy, but VIP red carpet treatment might be better. And a few glasses of wine couldn't hurt either.

If you have a new passport you need to go to Immigrations and get them to transfer your Thai visa from your old passport. (Depending on your visa type I guess.) This is done at no charge, though I've heard some that said they were charged for the 'service'.

Thats why I ask in the OP if the airport is unusually crowded this days, anyway would be great to know where you buy the tickets for the red carpet lane through immigration at Phuket Airport!

I had an 8 am flight a few days ago. Left the house giving myself an hour to get there but got there in 40 minutes. There were some long checkin queues for some int'l flights, but at 6:40 immigration queues were very short and the wait was only 5 minutes. Departure hall was pretty crowded as there seemed to be a number of outgoing flights.

I stand by the earlier post that I made (post #10). I also did clearly state that I may have arrived there on a bad day (post #12)

Good to see that steelepulse had a better run than I did.

It is not in my nature to post 'red herrings' on a thread where members are seeking information. A post suggesting otherwise has been removed.

Went through both check in and Immigration as a breeze wednesday evening in less than 5 minutes at each counter. Positive surprized with more women at the Immigration counterssmile.png . Always a plus IMO. Now on another note it took me one hour from Samkong to the airport which some years ago was done in 30 minutessad.png

I took Firefly to Penang last week (3:20PM flight). There were about 5 passport lines open and I was through in less than a minute. However if you have some issues, like having a new passport with your visa in your old one, as I did last year, then you can pay to use the Coral Lounge. This gets you taken on a red carpet to the VIP desk on the far left of departures. This works really well, plus they have food and beverage in the lounges.

I tried to have my visa transferred at Immigration in Phuket Town and they were not interested, told me to go to the airport. I am sure an incentive might have helped. However the incentive at the Coral Lounge worked out much better for me.

These lounges also accept "Priority Pass Members".

Good to see no-one having any issues at the airport these days, well most anyway.....good positive reporting guys.

I had an international departure a week ago, check in less than 5 mins as was immigration passport control.....I guess some people were born lucky!! thumbsup.gif

Good to see no-one having any issues at the airport these days, well most anyway.....good positive reporting guys.

I had an international departure a week ago, check in less than 5 mins as was immigration passport control.....I guess some people were born lucky!! thumbsup.gif

I sent some friends home on a charterflight about noon yesterday. They had to wait almost one hour at immigration...

• Like 1

I sent some friends home on a charterflight about noon yesterday. They had to wait almost one hour at immigration...

Rickster is having some trouble realising that there are times when immigration is very busy, and when it is busy it can take quite a while to get through.

The whole purpose of this thread was for the OP to ask if they should allow extra time to clear immigration.

While you might be lucky and get through in 5 minutes - it is probably sensible to arrive earlier in case you get stuck for a while.

I know that if you fly Biz Class with Malaysian Airlines you are taken by a uniformed lady through VIP Immigration Security and direct to the lounge.

Alas with Thai even with Gold Card you have to Q same as everybody else but the lounge at Thai is much better.

Qatar same as Malaysian Airline rolleyes.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Qatar same as Malaysian Airline rolleyes.gif

Two weeks ago I had a flight China Eastern, business class and of cours access to the lounge (of Thai air) but no VIP immigration.

Though I didn't need it. Flight was at 2am and immigration took only 10 minutes even though I didn't have the immigration card anymore. This is not always stapled into the passport and I forgot to check it. The immigration officer filled in a new card and ordered me a 300 Baht 'service' fee. I did not get the choice to fill it in myself.

One month ago I had a flight to Singapore around noon and and then also immigration took not more then 10 minutes.

But I never take the risk and arrive at least 1h30' before an international departure and 1h before national.

But I never take the risk and arrive at least 1h30' before an international departure and 1h before national.

For an experienced traveler, that's certainly enough. In the course of the years, I continuously ordered taxis for tourists going to the airport during the peak season. I always aim for 2h before an international departure and 1,5h before national. But often the tourists are elderly couples who don't speak/read much English, people with little children, and so on. Guess for all readers here 1,5h international and 1h domestic certainly does the trick.