Is Chiang Mai Really The Thai Equivalent Of Bognor Regis?

Rob8891

Last week, it was purported that Khun T was visiting CM. This week sees the impending arrival of our own, Khun TB, who, purely coincidentally is also in Dubai at the time of posting (but only to change planes, it is said wink.png ).

Having recently retired, I too am about to leave my homeland to settle in CM, but without burning any bridges at home. I am looking forward to going back and to setting up home there for the oreseeable future: there is a feel-good factor, and this underpins this thread.

We’ve all read the gripes and moans of the negative brigade, maybe even wrote some, but we all know that there are many positives too….in fact probably many more positives than negatives. There a high number of “farang” from a wide range of nations who have set up home in the city and its environs, so there must be some very special draw. One member (who will remain nameless pro tem) suggested that he would not entertain such sedate surroundings and thought it was more suited to the elderly….the likes of Khun TB and myself. Cheeky brat! tongue.png

My question is, “what ONE thing above all others drew you to Chiang Mai?” This could be a one-liner, or it might be an anecdote, but let’s keep it light-hearted and positive, eh?

……..but be quick…tb will soon be in the city and will no doubt have tall tales to tell us. whistling.gif

khun T is Thaksin....TB is theblether, whom you may have stumbled across in Tv, although if you're quite new, maybe not, as tb is taking a wee rest.

Tv is Thaivisa, btw.

BTW is....

wai.gif

Yes I know about both. Thank you.

I've still to make my move upon retirement to Chiang mai. Why you ask? Cost. Weather. Infrastructure. Medical facilities, Expat community.

Still all positives for me so far. All of course subject to change. Hasn't gotten too expensive to knock me out of the move yet. YET.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

For most men it is the ladies - if they are honest - but the warm weather, inexpensive living and pleasant people figure in there too.

Thanks, U G. Is this over and above the rest of the country, or just special to CM in particular, in your opinion?

For most men it is the ladies - if they are honest - but the warm weather, inexpensive living and pleasant people figure in there too.

Thanks, U G. Is this over and above the rest of the country, or just special to CM in particular, in your opinion?

The whole country, but even more true in some of the expat havens in the South.

'My question is, “what ONE thing above all others drew you to Chiang Mai?” This could be a one-liner, or it might be an anecdote, but let’s keep it light-hearted and positive, eh?'

My health. I came to Chiangmai for the waters.

• Like 1

I am working in the moving business and recently moved a freshly retired couple to CM from the Netherlands. They did not know much about Thailand to actually live there. But their MAIN ONE reason was their son and their grandchildren lived there happyily already for 3 years..

CM was great, but it is facing an infrastructure crisis in the near future, due to the fact that many people think it is great.

That being said, it is much better for expat life than most of Thailand because you can get almost anything there, and it is not Bangkok.

Chiang Rai is the new Chiang Mai.

• Like 2

'My question is, “what ONE thing above all others drew you to Chiang Mai?” This could be a one-liner, or it might be an anecdote, but let’s keep it light-hearted and positive, eh?'

My health. I came to Chiangmai for the waters.

Good job it wasn't for the clean sea air like Bognor! (which is great for Goodwood week)

• Like 1

Sorry for this response, but I don't think CM is great for the elderly. Very dangerous to cross many streets. Pavement not level (I knew a few elderly who fell and got really hurt). Since weather is hot, very easy to dehydrate, and I read the elderly are more unaware of low fluid levels. I think the bad air will be harder on their immune system, and please don't try to ride a motorbike or bicycle in this city. dangerous. as far as medical care, not sure.

The ONE thing that pulled me here was biking the mountains while it was winter in America.

CM has great energy, a nice mix of people, nice girls to look at, cheap, weather nice at night, lots of temples, and close to mountains. it is still my favorite place in SE asia, but my next trip will explore another city. maybe in another country, ah, who knows.

• Like 2

Sorry to say..... women is not my number one choice as why I choose CM.

in short, I like CM due to…..
cooler climate …I like gardening all year round without getting too sweaty
culture and architecture….in my mind, this is the only tourist place in thailand that I can sense and see the thai culture and architecture in full swing everywhere I go. Other places just don’t have a sense of belonging and pride in their tradition and cuture, like the Lanna people. People here are very friendly and certainly know how to cook.

In addition to having a good mixed of expats from different nationalities not just mainly westerners, but other asians as well.

And I pray to god that the sex tourists majority would rather go somewhere else.

Edited by doji

Met a women who's family is in Chiang Mai so I settled here.

Would like a beach but can't have every thing. Chiang Mai like most of Thailand gives me a chance to take care of my self. It is far from a nanny state. If I want to cross the road I do. I don't walk an extra block to find a traffic light even though there is no traffic. I learn to watch where I am going the Government has not set up so many laws that if I had a fall it would be some one else's fault and I could sue them.

Also the culture is different.

• Like 2

Sorry to say..... women is not my number one choice as why I choose CM.

in short, I like CM due to…..cooler climate …I like gardening all year round without getting too sweatyculture and architecture….in my mind, this is the only tourist place in thailand that I can sense and see the thai culture and architecture in full swing everywhere I go. Other places just don’t have a sense of belonging and pride in their tradition and cuture, like the Lanna people. People here are very friendly and certainly know how to cook.

In addition to having a good mixed of expats from different nationalities not just mainly westerners, but other asians as well.

And I pray to god that the sex tourists majority would rather go somewhere else.

CM now and many years ago have changed, at least in their tradition. CM people used to wai, smile and greeted 'Sawaddee Chao..' but nowadays many have stopped that tradition.

^^ I agree... they can't hold a candle to the Southerners and have generally not experienced that genuine warmth up here.

And I pray to god that the sex tourists majority would rather go somewhere else

Can a few thousand ancient retirees go with them? whistling.gif

Yes I know about both. Thank you.

I've still to make my move upon retirement to Chiang mai. Why you ask? Cost. Weather. Infrastructure. Medical facilities, Expat community.

Still all positives for me so far. All of course subject to change. Hasn't gotten too expensive to knock me out of the move yet. YET.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

There will be no expats of your nationalities or from any other countries in Chiang Mai willing to welcome you into the fold. Most are elderly, grumpy, inhospitable and wouldn`t give you the time of day.

And, if you enjoy isolation, remoteness, have a good set of lungs to tackle breathing through all the smog and pollution, don`t mind the limited night life and lack of social entertainments, excepting that being served at Immigration is now a battle and a lottery, and can handle the slow Internet, than Chiang Mai is for you.

I think jackr post #25 was referring to you.

Are you under suicide watch?

Might be an idea for some one living under such horrible conditions.

OP ignore him as you can see he has problems.

Chiang Mai is a wonderful place to live. It might not be for you but it can not be all things for all people. It is not like there was no other choices in Thailand. This one suits many of us and as you can see obviously some have nothing good to say about it yet they stay here.

We have a psychiatric hospital here.

Some people need it and don't realize it.

<yawns>

Edited by Rasseru

I came for a full contact Bingo competition, fell in love with the street art masquerading as cross walks (and playing spot the picture of Ian Forbes)....but in the end it was wifey

Also very heavily the fact that here I am compelled to engage with people and I find I like it, at home it was too relaxed, predictable, and easy. I had a morbid fear that I would end up just plonking myself down and watching Ellen or Oprah feeling comfortably numb.

Edited by mamborobert