Overstay For Child

Hi, my european born son who has been living here in Thailand with my wife and I for several years now, may need to travel back to Europe with me for a family illness. He has already (December last year) received his Thai ID card / nationality etc but hasn't got his Thai passport yet (I didn't expect to need it now). As such, and because we may have to fly urgently, he would need to travel back out of the country on his European passport and this would show an overstay of 3+years.

He's 7 years old and my question is will there be an overstay fee for a child at this age? Will they take into account that he's actually a Thai citizen now too and just wave us on or will I need to go to immigration first etc? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Under the age of 15 (14?) overstay is not charged but a note may be made in his passport that he has overstayed. Just go to the airport normally, just allow a few extra minutes..

If he returns to Thailand without a Thai passport he should preferably have a visa (or ticket out within 30 days) to stop any possible denied boarding problems from the airline.

Edited by ThaidDown

A Thai passport takes only about 3 days and at least in BKK there is an express service, I would strongly advise you apply for the paspsort before leaving.

The child needs to leave on the passport entered on anyway, but being under 15 there is no overstay. But returning with the foreign passport the child will need a visa. That is way the Thai paspsort would be more convinient before leaving.

With Thai ID-card a non-O visa will be no problem, but would still mean entering on a foreign passport and needing an extension of stay. (Very easy, just show the Thai ID-card). Till next exit out of Thailand with foreign paspsort and re-entering with Thai passport.

Thanks very much guys, I'm going to try get his Thai passport over the next day or two. Otherwise a non o on return until he gets a Thai passport. Cheers for the advice.

Sounds like he is here on his EU passport. He'll have to leave Thailand on that, and when he returns, he can enter on his thai passport.