Sanding Pcx Panels Down To Black..

So was looking at doing something different in my pcx ... Currently white ... Scratches show the black plastic underneath ... So thinking just sand the white back down to black /grey ... Will have an "interesting" texture too I guess .... I know I can just get new panels or spray it for 4-6k but fancied trying something different ... So, anyone done this before ... How did it work out?!

Seems to me it could go either way. Look like a cool gun-metal, or just cheap plastic...

Sandpaper and/or a wire brush, or some type of rubbing/buffing compound...

Try the front fender first - post a pic

OP I don't know how your end result would be but should be cheap to get the plastic panels painted if it looks no good.

In Pattaya I seen lots of repainted PCX's: yellow, green and today one in stars an stripes. They should be quite easy to find in a large parking lotbiggrin.png

Just remember you have to get the colors changed in the green book as well or you could get finned.

DO NOT use a wire brush! Lightly sand the panels with 800 wet and dry to dull the surface. Spray an undercoat that is suitable for plastic parts. Use spot putty to fill the scratches. Sand them down. Prepsol. Undercoat again. Sand lightly again with 800 wet & dry on the surface to achieve a smooth dull surface. Prepsol again. Spray your first top coat. Sand lightly with 1000 wet and dry with some detergent in the water. Rinse. Prepsol again. Spray your top coat. Wait a few days then de-nib with 1200 wet & dry with some detergent in the water. Rinse. Using a mini orbital polisher buff up the paint to a fine gloss. Easy, ay!

• Like 1

OP I don't know how your end result would be but should be cheap to get the plastic panels painted if it looks no good.

In Pattaya I seen lots of repainted PCX's: yellow, green and today one in stars an stripes. They should be quite easy to find in a large parking lotbiggrin.png

Just remember you have to get the colors changed in the green book as well or you could get finned.

You could also get fined.giggle.gif

Police are sharks herebiggrin.pngwhistling.gif

Police are sharks herebiggrin.pngwhistling.gif

Is someone taking my avatar in vain?

The sanding wasn't going so well so just got some Matt black spray cans ... Far from a perfect job but looks good as long as you don't get too close !

what, farther away than 1000 meters? whistling.gif

mmmm.... matt black, could be a nice rat bike project

Edited by pokerkid

The sanding wasn't going so well so just got some Matt black spray cans ... Far from a perfect job but looks good as long as you don't get too close !

It OK, you can admit to being a lazy Cheap Charlie, I won't tell! biggrin.png

Rat bike?

I think we can safely say, mission accomplished.

Rat bike?

I think we can safely say, mission accomplished.

I never have understood the logic (or lack thereof) of having a "nice bike" and turing it into a "mice bike" -- but to each their own....

Pretty simple logic - it's his bike.

That's not "logic" -- that's just a fact. Sure, he can make a complete mess of his bike (it's his bike), but why would he want to? See the difference? Kind of like your post -- sure, you can post a totally meaningless and worthless statement (you just did), but why would you want to? huh.png At least it was mercifully short. Next.......

That's not "logic" -- that's just a fact. Sure, he can make a complete mess of his bike (it's his bike), but why would he want to? See the difference? Kind of like your post -- sure, you can post a totally meaningless and worthless statement (you just did), but why would you want to? huh.png At least it was mercifully short. Next.......

Same applies to your statement really.

Thank you! Same applies, yes, except the "mercifully short" bit...

Actually, not. My post was an attempt (admittedly weak) at humour -- "nice" rhymes with "mice", and "mice" and "rat" are kinda/almost the same thing -- so I was playing off of "rat bike" with "mice bike". I expect that most readers got it; whether they thought it was funny is another matter. The reference to "logic" was just a lead in. I could care less why someone ruins their PCX -- for not too much money they can repair it when they come to their senses -- chalk it up to a better waste of time than sitting in front of the tv and downing a half dozen Leo's. Go back and read my post again, you might understand it now (I even put the key works in quotes for readers like you and your "simple logic" pal). I guess I was having a slow day -- what's your excuse?

Actually, not. My post was an attempt (admittedly weak) at humour -- "nice" rhymes with "mice", and "mice" and "rat" are kinda/almost the same thing -- so I was playing off of "rat bike" with "mice bike". I expect that most readers got it; whether they thought it was funny is another matter. The reference to "logic" was just a lead in. I could care less why someone ruins their PCX -- for not too much money they can repair it when they come to their senses -- chalk it up to a better waste of time than sitting in front of the tv and downing a half dozen Leo's. Go back and read my post again, you might understand it now (I even put the key works in quotes for readers like you and your "simple logic" pal). I guess I was having a slow day -- what's your excuse?

So in actual fact, from your statement, it DOES bother you when someone ruins their PCX, otherwise you'd have wrote 'couldn't care less'..... right??.....coffee1.gif

Edited by Rickster

usually when people start to paint a bike flat black themselves its all downhill from there unless their goal is to make a rat bike. Even a factory flat black painted bike starts to look ratty quit quick after being exposted to the sun and dust here in thailand.

Edited by pokerkid

Rickster, on 02 Apr 2013 - 13:02, said:snapback.png

So in actual fact, from your statement, it DOES bother you when someone ruins their PCX, otherwise you'd have wrote 'couldn't care less'..... right??.....coffee1.gif

Right. The Oxford dictionary recognizes “could care less” as an American colloquialism meaning "I don't care at all". Many people, however, regard it as incorrect since it makes no logical sense (if you “could care less” it means that you care at least a bit). Chalk it up to a "twisted" American expression. With a bit more thought, I agree that I should have said "I couldn't care less....." (but the reality is that I do care (at least a little bit) that people do/say "stupid" (IMO) things....).

• Like 1

Right. The Oxford dictionary recognizes “could care less” as an American colloquialism meaning "I don't care at all". Many people, however, regard it as incorrect since it makes no logical sense (if you “could care less” it means that you care at least a bit). Chalk it up to a "twisted" American expression. With a bit more thought, I agree that I should have said "I couldn't care less....." (but the reality is that I do care (at least a little bit) that people do/say "stupid" (IMO) things....).

I see, those damn americans are again the root of all evil crazy.gif

Edited by pokerkid

I see, those damn americans are again the root of all evil crazy.gif

It's "Americans". You need to stop worrying so much about what we say, and focus much more on what we mean! biggrin.png As far as the "root of all evil", you must have been talking to my girlfriend again.

• Like 1

You really need to stop reading these posts (including mine) so carefully and thinking about them so much. It will certainly give you a headache and may make you go blind!

You really need to stop reading these posts (including mine) so carefully and thinking about them so much. It will certainly give you a headache and may make you go blind!

Why have to comment on this post twice....I heard you the first time.....Why are you following me around the forum like a lost lamb........

Edited by Rickster