Visa Expiration If I Leave & Come Back

I arrived in BKK yesterday, I had gotten a single-entry TR visa prior to leaving the States. When I arrived at Swampy, I was given a 60-day stamp in my passport good through May 27.

The wife & I are thinking of a short trip to Laos in a few days, not sure yet if we will cross the border by ground or air. But when I come back, does that "erase" my existing stamp, giving me a new 30-day entry approval to expire in early May? Or, can I add an extra entry approval on my existing stamp prior to leaving Thailand, thereby keeping my original May 27 date? If so, how would I get this approval? I seem to remember years ago going to an office at the airport and adding 1 more entry approval to my existing visa (that was Type O back then, but I'm a tourist now). Thanks!

If returning by air you get a new 30 days, at a land border only 15 days.

You can keep your original May 27 date by getting a re-entry permit at an immigration office. The cost is 1,000 baht and 1 pasport photo.

Near May 27th you can ask for a 30 day extension of stay for 1,900 baht.

You can also get a re-entry permit at airport after check in.

Can you tell me more about this? I think this is what I did before (strictly out of ignorance, not design). I had to find somewhere in the airport that took passport photos, then ran up to an office that gave another entry stamp. And, as you said, it was after check-in but before going through security/immigration.

also, can it be done at Don Muang, or only at Swampy?

Don Muang has re-entry permit office also which is after departure immigration desks so just tell them you need a re-entry permit before lining up. For that office you probably will also need the photo and copies of your passport photo page, visa, entry/permit to stay stamp and TM6 departure card.

Also download Re-Entry Permit into The Kingdom Application Form (TM.8)

At swampy they charge 200 baht extra and do everything for you.

Edited by ubonjoe

Might be tricky if you are traveling by land, many immigration offices will only issue a re-entry permit if you are on some sort of extension, and MAY refuse to do so for a tourist visa.

As always, it's not the rules that matter, it's the way they are interpreted by the officer on the day.

Might be tricky if you are traveling by land, many immigration offices will only issue a re-entry permit if you are on some sort of extension, and MAY refuse to do so for a tourist visa.

As always, it's not the rules that matter, it's the way they are interpreted by the officer on the day.

never heard of that one. I think it is more a question of many people being told that they don't need a re-entry permit with a tourist visa and immigration is just trying to be helpful.