Secure Online Banking In Thailand?

I would like to open a new online account in Thailand when I visit next month and would like to know which bank offers the most secure user interface via PC (not mobile phone) in your opinions ?

In the UK I use Barclays who issue a debit card reader/PIN verifier device to all online customers which displays a secure one-off passcode to be used when you login to your account. Just wondered if any Thai bank has adopted this technology yet? Thanks in advance for your advice.

HSBC uses hardware token generator devices for their online banking but unfortunately they have shut down their retail banking biz here in Thailand..

That's a shame I was rather hoping to use HSBC as well. They still have a presence in Malaysia I believe but that's no help to me.

HSBC uses hardware token generator devices for their online banking but unfortunately they have shut down their retail banking biz here in Thailand..

That's a shame I was rather hoping to use HSBC as well. They still have a presence in Malaysia I believe but that's no help to me.

dont bother hsbc are useless ,sorry worse than useless,when i came to Thailand i opened an account with them ,waste of time and effort.

Bangkok Bank will SMS an OTOP (One Time Password) to your designated mobile number prior to making a transaction online.

Is that for every transaction or only the first time you send to that particular account?

UOB Thailand have the same gadget for secure on line

Thanks for the tip. I checked out the UOB website and the gadget they use is slightly different to my card reader and is a security token which generates a unique 8 digit number on an LCD display rather than sending an SMS OTP via your mobile. Unfortunately it only 'seems' to be available to Business Account users rather than Personal accounts, unless anyone knows different?

Bangkok Bank will SMS an OTOP (One Time Password) to your designated mobile number prior to making a transaction online.

Is that for every transaction or only the first time you send to that particular account?

Sounds like Kasikorn Bank. For money transfers the OTP (One Time Password) is issued. If you are topping up a mobile, no OTP is needed/issued. I am not sure about paying bills online and hopefully another will chime in.

Sounds like Kasikorn Bank. For money transfers the OTP (One Time Password) is issued. If you are topping up a mobile, no OTP is needed/issued. I am not sure about paying bills online and hopefully another will chime in.

OTP is needed for higher value mobile top-up - certainly for me with AIS top-ups for the wife and I.

K-Cyber banking is pretty user-friendly. OTP used for setting up beneficiaries and for making payments. I pay 20 Baht a month for sms alerts for ANY withdrawals. If I withdraw 20k from the ATM, the sms is there within 20 seconds - plus a sms balance update.

That's for every transaction. They also SMS you details after every transaction and email you after every log-on.

That's for every transaction. They also SMS you details after every transaction and email you after every log-on.

I was curious because with SCB it was only for the first transaction although I have not used it recently.

Actually you only need a OTP when you make a transaction for the first time to a new account, after that when you send to the same account you are not asked for a OTP, you just receive a SMS confirming the transaction

Just to add to the above you will not be able to make a new transaction to a new account if you are in another country as you will need the OTP to complete it, however you should be able to make transfers to accounts you have set up already whilst you were in Thailand

Just to add to the above you will not be able to make a new transaction to a new account if you are in another country as you will need the OTP to complete it, however you should be able to make transfers to accounts you have set up already whilst you were in Thailand

Why wouldn't you be able to receive the OTP in another country? Provided you take your phone and it has International roaming switched on I can't see why it can't receive text messages from Thailand albeit they'd cost more. That was one reason I'd prefer to use a token or card reader to avoid the need to use a mobile phone with any transactions.

Sorry, but that is not correct. The OTP is sent to your registered phone and as long as you have that with you, you are OK. I have done it regularly. I speak for Kasikorn.

I carry my Thai phone when I am overseas and switch it on to receive OTP's and never had any problem.

Ok looks like I am mistaken on that point, I didn't think of the international roaming.

Actually when I create a new transfer from my UK Bank I do receive a OTP here so yes it should work the other way round

Edited by darrendsd

I personally would recomend Kasikorn;

One Time Password to registered mobile phone - so you can't do anything on line without having the registered mobile in your possession.

User friendly site/interface.

Instant updating of transactions/balance on line (not days afterwards like some banks).

SMS & email everytime something happens on your account.

Good customer service

Fast International deposits (next day from UK usually)

etc etc

Never been disappointed.

I personally would recomend Kasikorn;

One Time Password to registered mobile phone - so you can't do anything on line without having the registered mobile in your possession.

User friendly site/interface.

Instant updating of transactions/balance on line (not days afterwards like some banks).

SMS & email everytime something happens on your account.

Good customer service

Fast International deposits (next day from UK usually)

etc etc

Never been disappointed.

I am also a fan - they do seem to try hard.

My UK transfers (from Halifax) are normally credited 'day 3'.

I usually get an advice around 14:30 hrs - I am sure they are waiting to use the 'best rate' (from their perspective) - buy, hey, they are a bank.....

Thanks Michael ... Kasikorn are top of my list already but was just hoping a non-phone means of verification was available but it seems not right now. My main concern was lack of phone signal could be very restrictive for these existing mechanisms to work in all circumstances whereas a token/card reader verifier has no such problems.

Still if there is no alternative then Kasikorn it is. Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far.

I use Thanchart Bank which doesn't have the same coverage as Bangkok or the big players but never had any problems with their online banking. They use the a one time code for most transactions which is sent to your mobile; I also like their log in - you have to use a numeric password of 6 digits - you can't key the numbers in using a keyboard but have to click the numbers on an on-screen grid and the lay out of the numbers changes every time you log in. The only problem I ever had was using the debit card to make a purchase in a store- I was debited twice for the same single transcaction - both debits within a space of a minute of each other for exactly the same amount. I had to go to the branch and fill out paperwork but the money was re-credited within 72 hours.

Kasikorn is the best for online banking.u need opt every time when u rgst new account for transfer and when u transfer money u need again opp.u also need opt for transfer u bills.99.99% safe i think

Kasikorn is the best for online banking.u need opt every time when u add new account for transfer and when u transfer money u need again opt.u also need opt for transfer u bills.99.99% safe i think.after transfer receive sms but bangkok bank u need only 1 time opt to add account after u can transfer with out opt.u wi get sms.my think kasikorn better

Kasikorn is the best for online banking.u need opt every time when u add new account for transfer and when u transfer money u need again opt.u also need opt for transfer u bills.99.99% safe i think.after transfer receive sms but bangkok bank u need only 1 time opt to add account after u can transfer with out opt.u wi get sms.my think kasikorn better

I use online banking of bangkok bank. They send OTP to every transection to other bank accounts via PC or notebook but for transferring money to another bangkok bank's account, it need only 1 time OTP when added the account.

With KBank once you transfer money the first time no longer do you need to OTT.

Thanks Michael ... Kasikorn are top of my list already but was just hoping a non-phone means of verification was available but it seems not right now. My main concern was lack of phone signal could be very restrictive for these existing mechanisms to work in all circumstances whereas a token/card reader verifier has no such problems.

Still if there is no alternative then Kasikorn it is. Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far.

I prefer Bangkok Bank. Process is similar to Kasikorn with OTP, but among other things I find their website and ibanking easier to use. And for me, they also make it much easier and cheaper to transfer funds from the US since they have a NY branch to facilitate it.