Paypal-On My Krung Thai Account.

^ I'm afraid not. Both Australian Paypal and Thai Paypal deposit a small sum to verify the account.

To get Verified by confirming your bank account, you first need to add your bank account to your PayPal account.

Here's how to add your bank account:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click Profile.
  3. Click My money.
  4. Click Update Bank accounts.
  5. Click Add to add a bank account.
  6. Complete the information and click Continue. Make sure to enter your name exactly as it appears on your bank account statement.
  7. Review the confirmation page and click Add Bank Account.

We'll then deposit 2 small amounts (ranging from 0.01 to 0.99 THB) into your bank account. These amounts will show on your bank statement within 4-6 business days. Please enter the 2 amounts online:

2. Click Profile.
  3. Click My money.
  4. Choose the bank account and click Confirm.
  5. Enter the exact amounts of the 2 deposits made to your account. (For example, if the amounts you received are 0.12 and 0.07, enter 0.12 and 0.07).
  6. Click Submit.

I have never done this...or been asked to do this. But do continue to get the scam emails.

Edited by Mudcrab

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder why anyone wants to use Pay Pal. I had to deal with them once over the internet but closed the account immediately because they are completely incompetent. I hate Pay Pal and would never ever use it again

That's definitely a scam email....I received a few of them over the years also. However, when linking a bank/debit/credit card account to PayPal you do go through the 2 trial deposits process but PayPal tells you that upfront when you are starting the process and what to do.

I did set up a Paypal account through Kasikorn, first you need to open a savings account, your name, with debit card, Internet Banking is available right away and is well set out, then apply through internet banking for Kweb shopping card which is a cyber credit card no physical card, you can set the limit from 0 up to I think 100,000Bt, then link this to your Paypal account and once registered it works like a dream for me anyhow.KTB are in the dark ages.

Best of luck BW

I don't have Paypal, but use KBank's Web Card a lot. You do not get a card, just the number, expiry date and CCV number. When you order something on-line, they send you an email, giving you a chance to challenge if, in case someone tries to double bill, then in 3 days they pay the money.

Their internet banking seems good for what I need.

• Like 1

I wonder why anyone wants to use Pay Pal. I had to deal with them once over the internet but closed the account immediately because they are completely incompetent. I hate Pay Pal and would never ever use it again

Knock on woods but the wife and I have used PayPal for hundreds of buys (mostly Ebay buys) and a few funds transfers....never a problem. What I like about PayPal is you are not providing your bank/debit/credit card info to a seller (some of which may not be the most honest or protect your data too well after the buy); instead, they only get the payment from PayPal and none of your bank/debit/credit card info. Plus you usually have the PayPal Buyer's protection (at least for most Ebay buys) which I have used a few times over the years with Ebay buys and always got a prompt refund of my payment. Yeap, no complaints about PayPal.

• Like 1

I have money hanging in the air after doing a Withdraw funds action, needing the money in my Norwegian account. Thanks Norway and it's extra long Easter holidays, I have been without the funds. Now just hoping to get at it tomorrow, Tuesday.

Paypal now offer their own Mastercard, for direct access to your Paypal funds, circumventing the banks delays and fees.

Warning: Do not get the Paypal Credit card! ... but a debit card.

I'm more or less sorted I think.

I will use my Irish PayPal as much as I can.

If I get stuck with an Asian seller who needs an Asian PayPal account I will open a PayPal on my KTB account as apparently,according to PayPal if a payment comes in from a different currency they ask you if you want to keep in in that currency or change it to your primary currency.

Thanks to all

Just a few words of warning, many people use Paypal without problems yes. But SOME have huge problems with them.

Never keep large sums of money in your Paypal account! They can (and DO) at any time freeze your account. When they do so you will have a hard time getting it out for less than 90 days. Have seen it happen (fortunately not to me) several times (not just stories on the net, but people I know)

Also check your withdrawal and deposit limits there are limits (they are usually there but hard to find) Any reason you break the rules is reason for them to freeze your money.

if you don't believe just google Paypal stole my money, Paypal crooks, Paypal sucks or something similar and you can read the horror stories. Most often it's people selling things getting payment in account then Paypal saying it's against their user agreement and taking the money or freezing for long terms. But it is UNSAFE to leave money in there period.

Problem is they don't have to follow banking laws they aren't a bank. They make their own laws and use loopholes to keep them safe from the laws that protect people who put their money in the hands of institutions.

I have money hanging in the air after doing a Withdraw funds action, needing the money in my Norwegian account. Thanks Norway and it's extra long Easter holidays, I have been without the funds. Now just hoping to get at it tomorrow, Tuesday.

Paypal now offer their own Mastercard, for direct access to your Paypal funds, circumventing the banks delays and fees.

Warning: Do not get the Paypal Credit card! ... but a debit card.

But you still get the PayPal fees. From looking at the PayPal Debit card User Agreement at this Link it looks like a 2.5% currency conversion fee plus another 1% withdrawal fee for a total of 3.5% in fees....and unless PayPal absorbs the standards MasterCard/Visa 1% fee there could be another 1% on top of the 3.5% in PayPal fees.

• Like 1

It is simple. Without online banking you will not get paypal. With your existing account not and not with an other one.

Online banking is convenient, but you don't need it to connect Paypal to your bank account.

You do ALL the setting up on the Paypal site. It makes no difference if you have internet banking setup. It's handy to check what the two test deposits Paypal pays into your bank account, but you can do that via a passbook update.

Edited by Fullstop

I'VE TRIED AND THEY SAID I ALREADY HAVE AN ACCOUNT REGISTERED TO THAT EMAIL ADDRESS.

SO IF I OPEN A NEW EMAIL ADDRESS I CAN OPEN AN ACCOUNT LINKED TO MY GTB ACCOUNT WITHOUT HAVEING A CREDIT CARD OR INTERNET BANKING ON THAT ACCOUNT.

AND IF I SEND MONEY IN EUROS I CAN KEEP IT IN EUROS.THIS IS GREAT IF IT;S TRUE

^ I'm afraid not. Both Australian Paypal and Thai Paypal deposit a small sum to verify the account.

To get Verified by confirming your bank account, you first need to add your bank account to your PayPal account.

Here's how to add your bank account:

2. Click Profile.
  3. Click My money.
  4. Click Update Bank accounts.
  5. Click Add to add a bank account.
  6. Complete the information and click Continue. Make sure to enter your name exactly as it appears on your bank account statement.
  7. Review the confirmation page and click Add Bank Account.

We'll then deposit 2 small amounts (ranging from 0.01 to 0.99 THB) into your bank account. These amounts will show on your bank statement within 4-6 business days. Please enter the 2 amounts online:

2. Click Profile.
  3. Click My money.
  4. Choose the bank account and click Confirm.
  5. Enter the exact amounts of the 2 deposits made to your account. (For example, if the amounts you received are 0.12 and 0.07, enter 0.12 and 0.07).
  6. Click Submit.

I have never done this...or been asked to do this. But do continue to get the scam emails.

It is not a scam email. It is the process for validating the link to designated bank account.

I'VE TRIED AND THEY SAID I ALREADY HAVE AN ACCOUNT REGISTERED TO THAT EMAIL ADDRESS.

SO IF I OPEN A NEW EMAIL ADDRESS I CAN OPEN AN ACCOUNT LINKED TO MY GTB ACCOUNT WITHOUT HAVEING A CREDIT CARD OR INTERNET BANKING ON THAT ACCOUNT.

AND IF I SEND MONEY IN EUROS I CAN KEEP IT IN EUROS.THIS IS GREAT IF IT;S TRUE

You should really sort out the existing registered account rather than trying to bypass it.

You do ALL the setting up on the Paypal site. It makes no difference if you have internet banking setup. It's handy to check what the two test deposits Paypal pays into your bank account, but you can do that via a passbook update.

Problem I had was US bank or pay pal sent trial transfers in USD. Thai bank shows baht. Took several calls to Thai banks offices to get dollar amount to verify.

Go to Bangkok Bank and open a B1st account, Then sign up to Paypal

Normal Thai debit cards will not work online but this account will, I have opened a Thai Paypal account myself using this card

Be aware that the exchange rate that Paypal give is shockingly bad, if you have the option to set up the account using your home countries bank account then do this and then transfer the money over when needed, it will save you a lot of money if you are using your Paypal account a lot

I'm pretty sure, everyone I know who uses Paypal uses Bangkok Bank.. So Bangkok bank will know what your talking about.. at least the main one in Bangkok, not too sure about the smaller branches.

I did set up a Paypal account through Kasikorn, first you need to open a savings account, your name, with debit card, Internet Banking is available right away and is well set out, then apply through internet banking for Kweb shopping card which is a cyber credit card no physical card, you can set the limit from 0 up to I think 100,000Bt, then link this to your Paypal account and once registered it works like a dream for me anyhow.KTB are in the dark ages.

Best of luck BW

I did exactly the same. And it works. I use it 2 or 3 times a month without problem.

O.K.

Thanks to all who replied.

It seems both KTB and I are 40 years behind the times.

I was only putting the PayPal on my Thai account because had the old fashioned idea that you had to go to the bank in person.

So this opens up a whole new ball game.

Would it not be better to put the PayPal on my Irish bank account which is where the money in my Thai account comes from anyway.So the currency only has to be changed once.

So i now have two more questions,

1-When I'm shopping online I use eBay,prices in Thai Baht and delivery to Thailand but prices are based on the US dollar or I use Rakuten.com,prices in Thai Baht,delivered to Thailand but there prices are based on the Japanese Yen.

Is it still more efficient to pay in euros from my Irish bank account.

2-If I get a PayPal facility on my Irish bank account can I then transfer my money to my KTB account every month instead of using internet banking and do I need to have PayPal hooked up to my KTB account as well.

Thanks for all your help,this could seriously save me some money.

You seem confused. Let me try to make things as clear as possible:

1. If you do not intend to sell anything online (e.g. through eBay) then you don't need PayPal at all.

2. All you need for shopping online is a VISA or Mastercard Credit/Debit Card that works online (most of them do, if not then your bank usually also provides a "virtual card", which is only the numbers of the card without the plastic itself, you usually get this on your bank's website)

3. To buy anything on the internet, no matter which website, you do not need a PayPal account to buy online. eBay sellers displaying that they accept only PayPal means that the payment process goes through PayPal and they do not accept bank wire transfers or checks, only Credit/Debit cards, but you don't need a PayPal account! When you click on "Buy Now" or when you win a bid and click on "Pay Now" then you will be redirected to the PayPal website and will be asked to enter your Credit/Debit Card numbers, that's all, without registering with PayPal nor opening any account with them – In this case scenario PayPal is only a payment gateway used by the seller.

4. Regarding currency: every time you convert money into another currency you actually lose some of your money, so simply try to avoid converting your money as much as possible and reduce the number of conversions to a minimum. If your money is originally in Euro and you have a VISA or Mastercard Credit/Debit Card in Euro (linked to your European account), then try to pay in Euro as much as possible using this card. On many websites you can choose the currency in which you wish to pay (eBay, AirAsia, etc.).
    • If you have a Debit/Credit card in Euro, then use this card whenever you can pay in Euro.

If you have a Debit/Credit card in Baht, keep in mind that a first conversion has been already done from Euro to Baht, so pay in Baht only when you cannot pay in Euro.

• If paying in another currency, for example in $USD, then try to reduce the number of conversions:
      • Euro > Baht > USD (you loose money 2 times) – Avoid this!
      • Euro > USD (you loose money 1 time)​ – OK
    • Always refuse currency conversion whenever it is offered to you: whether it is at local ATM when using your European Debit/Credit card, or whether you shop online and the payment gateway is offering you to convert the total amount to your currency, deny those as the automatic conversion rate of your own bank will be better.

As a small note in regard to your first post and the confusion about PayPal, here is a small FAQ about PayPal:

• I want to buy items on eBay, do I need a PayPal account?

No, you do not need a PayPal account to buy on any website. If the website uses PayPal for the payment, you might see the PayPal logo during the payment process when you are asked to enter your Debit/Credit card details, however once the payment is done no account is created whatsoever.

• I want to sell items on eBay or launch an e-commerce website, do I need a PayPal account?

Yes, most probably. PayPal is useful for sellers because it allows anybody to receive online payments and then withdraw the earnings to a real bank account. PayPal keeps a small percentage of your earnings by charging each payment you receive through it.

• I have heard that it is safer to pay through PayPal

Whenever you shop online, you will have to enter your Debit/Credit card details at the checkout. Some websites have their own payment gateway and collect your Debit/Credit card details themselves, which is not very safe as you give your payment information to as many sites you're shopping on. Websites offering PayPal as a payment gateway do not collect your Debit/Credit card details, instead PayPal does, preventing the online shops from having access to your Debit/Credit card numbers.

• Why open a PayPal account as a Buyer? (not a seller)

As a buyer there is only one advantage of having a PayPal account, is that PayPal remembers your Debit/Credit card number so that next time you want to make a payment on any website accepting PayPal then you will only have to log-in into your PayPal account and click "Pay". It's nothing more than time-saving. Without an account you would simple have to enter your same Debit/Credit card numbers each time you want to order something.

• How do I open a PayPal account?

Go to paypal.com and click "Sign Up", enter your email address, choose a password, enter your personal details, and that's all – you're done, account created and operational. It's free and it takes 2 minutes.

• Do I need to confirm with my bank that I have opened a PayPal account?

No. Your bank is not related to PayPal. Most Thai people might not even know what PayPal is.

• What is Debit/Credit card or Bank Account confirmation requested by PayPal?

This does not apply if you are only a buyer! If you intend to sell goods and receive payments on your PayPal account, then there is a maximum amount that you can withdraw to your bank account. To remove this limit, PayPal requires that you confirm your identity. To do so they offer 2 options: you can either choose to confirm your identity using your Debit/Credit card, or using your Bank Account, here's how it works:

• Using your Debit/Credit card: they will first charge you 2 small amounts (between 0,01 to 2€), and then when receiving your Card Transactions Statement note carefully the 2 amounts and provide them to PayPal on their website. Your PayPal account will instantly see its withdrawal limits removed.
    • Using your Bank Account: they will first withdraw 2 small amounts (between 0,01 to 2€) on your Bank Account, then when receiving your Account Statement note carefully the 2 amounts and provide them to PayPal on their website. Your PayPal account will instantly see its withdrawal limits removed.

I hope that helps!

Thank you anonymous for your lengthily reply,

I understood everything you said but the thing is that I do not have a credit card or debit card.

I would never use them.So I opened a papal account on my Irish bank account thinking it was easier,especially from here,and cheaper.

The one tip I got from you was that when some sites ask you what currency do you want the prices displayed in,don't change it to euros,leave it in the currency that the site normally displays.

Then they will bill me in dollars or yen and my Irish bank account will choose the exchange rate.

Here's the one thing where I might have messed up.I googled the PayPal site,so I presume it was the official website, and opened an account,they told me to activate my account by making a domestic transfer within Ireland to their bank account.I made a small transfer and they said it would take 2 or 3 working days,that was 2 working days ago.

My two concerns are ......

1-this is a total con.or

2-If I have money in my PayPal account and get billed in dollars then PayPal will choose the exchange rate and not my Irish bank.

Thank you anonymous for your lengthily reply,

I understood everything you said but the thing is that I do not have a credit card or debit card.

I would never use them.So I opened a papal account on my Irish bank account thinking it was easier,especially from here,and cheaper.

The one tip I got from you was that when some sites ask you what currency do you want the prices displayed in,don't change it to euros,leave it in the currency that the site normally displays.

Then they will bill me in dollars or yen and my Irish bank account will choose the exchange rate.

Here's the one thing where I might have messed up.I googled the PayPal site,so I presume it was the official website, and opened an account,they told me to activate my account by making a domestic transfer within Ireland to their bank account.I made a small transfer and they said it would take 2 or 3 working days,that was 2 working days ago.

My two concerns are ......

1-this is a total con.or

2-If I have money in my PayPal account and get billed in dollars then PayPal will choose the exchange rate and not my Irish bank.

OK I have totally missed the scenario where PayPal is used without a Debit/Credit card for shopping online!

So here are some other things about this specific use case:

• When PayPal is used as a Debit/Credit card replacement, then whenever you shop online you actually pay with your Bank Account directly instead of a Debit/Credit card. It works exactly the same as if you were using a Debit/Credit card: you don't need to upload funds to your PayPal account, as each time you will make a payment using PayPal, it will take the money from your Bank Account automatically (instead of your Debit/Credit card).

• For this to work you must have entered your Bank Account details into your PayPal account, and confirmed that you're the owner of this Bank Account and are allowed to make transfers, I believe this is now done by making a small transfer to PayPal (the money will be given back to you). A few years ago PayPal usually asked you to print an authorization form to give to your Bank, which will allow PayPal to withdraw money from your Bank Account, but it now seems that it is not required anymore?

• Again, you do not need to upload funds to your PayPal account (except for the validation process). Each time you use your PayPal account to make a payment, it will make that payment using the money from your linked Bank Account.

• This is yet to be confirmed but when paying in other currencies than the one of your Bank Account, and following the same logic as paying with a Debit/Credit card, then PayPal should offer you a currency conversion at the checkout and you should be able to refuse it, resulting in the withdrawal from your Bank Account to be in the foreign currency, leaving your Bank making the conversion (at the best rate). This is the only information I'm not sure about so I suggest that you make a first purchase using your PayPal account and confirm this!

In every cases PayPal is an independent company and has nothing to do with your Bank. The sentence "I opened a papal account on my bank account" is wrong, you would say "I opened a paypal account and entered my bank account details into it, so they can withdraw money to/from my bank account". I hope that helps!

Edited by Annonymous

My TMB ATM card was rejected by the bank in applying to use it with PayPal, some banks yes

some banks no.

What does that mean?

What card do you have, is it a VISA or a Mastercard?

What actually happened? From what I understand, when you entered your Debit/Credit card numbers into your PayPal account, the payment was refused, is that correct?

Payments can be refused for many reasons, including you made a mistake when entering the card's numbers/expiration date or verification number on the back of the card, or your name doesn't match, or your address doesn't match the one registered with your bank. If you've already double-checked all the info, and assuming that the payment to the PayPal company was rejected by your bank, does it also reject any other online payments?

Did you already pay online in the past successfully with your card? If not and you can't pay anything online then this is because your card is only for physical-world use only, and you should be able to receive a virtual card for online use from your bank.

There's no such thing as applying to use a card with PayPal. PayPal is a regular company, if you can make purchases online using your card, then you can also use it with PayPal. Don't mention PayPal when talking to your bank, that will confuse them (and you). Ask for a card to make online purchases/payments/shopping...

O.K.

Thanks to all who replied.

It seems both KTB and I are 40 years behind the times.

I was only putting the PayPal on my Thai account because had the old fashioned idea that you had to go to the bank in person.

So this opens up a whole new ball game.

Would it not be better to put the PayPal on my Irish bank account which is where the money in my Thai account comes from anyway.So the currency only has to be changed once.

So i now have two more questions,

1-When I'm shopping online I use eBay,prices in Thai Baht and delivery to Thailand but prices are based on the US dollar or I use Rakuten.com,prices in Thai Baht,delivered to Thailand but there prices are based on the Japanese Yen.

Is it still more efficient to pay in euros from my Irish bank account.

2-If I get a PayPal facility on my Irish bank account can I then transfer my money to my KTB account every month instead of using internet banking and do I need to have PayPal hooked up to my KTB account as well.

Thanks for all your help,this could seriously save me some money.

I recomend that your PayPal account is opened with your address in Ireland and use and Irish credit card on an Irish bank to Guarantee PayPal that they will always be able to draw the balance of their invoices.

Why? There have been many problems with PayPal settlement in Thailand where PayPal are secured with a Thai credit card. This is especially so with large ticket items of foreign origin, or from retailers in Thailand that have Foreign Partners.

When a PayPal item dosen't arrive it is impossible to get to the bottom of the problem. Your Thai retailer will plead ignorance. Your Thai bank will blame PayPal and PayPal will simply confirm that the Bank refused to setttle the PayPal account on that occasion though never know why.

My PayPal account is guaranteed by my Natwest Master Card issued against my Natwest current account using my daughters address in England. I am a PayPal Premium account buyer and seller often buying high ticket hardware and have never had a problem with payment or settlement since I returned to Thailand Ten years ago. Good Luck with all future transactions,

• 6 months later...

Hello all,

I've been using Western Union to send my money and have been paying $20usd for every $1000usd sent and I was ok with that because I could pick it up immediately. This month they (Western Union) raised their rates over 300% with no explanation so I'm looking for alternatives.

My Thai girlfriend has an account that I use and was wondering if I could connect a paypal account to it and transfer my money this way? I have no work permit nor bank account in my name. would this work??

Cheers and thanks for any replies!

• 7 months later...

I get by on computer but not totally computer savvy...am I missing something?

I transferred money to my KTB account from Saudi. Cannot figure out how to check my balance online. Or any other banking services on line would be handy. I found my branch but no email address. I sent a querie to KTB Care and they gave me a computerized response asking me to call long distance by phone. CRAZY!

Any hint?

Hello all,

I've been using Western Union to send my money and have been paying $20usd for every $1000usd sent and I was ok with that because I could pick it up immediately. This month they (Western Union) raised their rates over 300% with no explanation so I'm looking for alternatives.

My Thai girlfriend has an account that I use and was wondering if I could connect a paypal account to it and transfer my money this way? I have no work permit nor bank account in my name. would this work??

Cheers and thanks for any replies!

Western Union is a rip-off. I use it in a pinch but try to avoid it.