Certificate Of Residency From Cm Immigration

pete66

And so it begins, which is why I mentioned 'conflicting posts'.

I think the rule of thumb is, if you have two originals they'd have accepted one, and if you have one original they'll insist on two.

tongue.png

Could be & as we say so often TIT

But mine was an actual experience & I never showed that I had multiple copies

I just asked what she needed then took it out of my brief.

I only had extras because I was buying a bike & truck too.

Edited by mania

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, all. This is a really neat forum---how we all pitch in and help one another.

I did check with the gf, tho', because I know from personal expereience that she is a very good screamer, but she denied she ever screamed at me. So that's all cleared up now, too.

Is it open Saturdays?

No and when you do go, you won't get a receipt for your 500 Baht.

Everybody says this but I got a receipt for my certificate of residents all three times. Didn't even have to ask.

I've got many over the years (10+). Never once was given a receipt.

Is it open Saturdays?

No and when you do go, you won't get a receipt for your 500 Baht.

Everybody says this but I got a receipt for my certificate of residents all three times. Didn't even have to ask.

I've got many over the years (10+). Never once was given a receipt.

Why would you expect a receipt when there in no official fee. It's officially a free service. If anyone is asked for money then just straight tell them ' but there is no charge ' and point to the public board with fee scale.

I was actually thinking of popping into the police station since someone said it was possible to get one from there. They certainly wouldn't charge a fee. Whether they'd have a clue what I was on about is a different matter. Anyone know how to say "certificate of residency" in Thai? Certificate is normally "ใบ" but I've no idea what Thais say for "residency". Is it "ทำเนียบ" (tham niap) by chance?

Edited by pete66

I was actually thinking of popping into the police station since someone said it was possible to get one from there. They certainly wouldn't charge a fee. Whether they'd have a clue what I was on about is a different matter. Anyone know how to say "certificate of residency" in Thai? Certificate is normally "ใบ" but I've no idea what Thais say for "residency". Is it "ทำเนียบ" (tham niap) by chance?

I am guessing it would be Tii Pag ที่พัก for residence but maybe yours tam-niiap being official residence

is more correct? & Bai-rap-rong ใบรับรอง for certificate

so maybe, Tii-Pag... Bai-rap-rong ?

Good luck though wink.png

When I moved here last year I read on this forum in the visa section someone claimed

when you first move your suppose to report your presence to the police.

Well my wife & I went down & they were all smiles till she told them I needed to report my presence.

Then their faces all turned to mad as they asked what it is I had done in my previous country that required this.

I guess they thought I was a perv or something.

Well come to find out no such law exists but some folks confuse the law that requires landlords

& hotels to report the presence of foreigners smile.png

Edited by mania

I normally hear "ใบรับรอง" for a guarantee of something, but it might be correct in this case - guarantee that you live in this country .....

I think only someone with one of these certificates can tell us what the Thai says.

I didn't intend to report my "presence" to the police station, I can imagine you got a few strange looks if you did that smile.png but I was hoping it might be easier than visiting CM zoo. Then again, I don't know where my local police station is - I live at "7 yoot" and we don't have any police round here I can detect.

I am guessing it would be Tii Pag ที่พัก for residence but maybe yours tam-niiap being official residence

is more correct? & Bai-rap-rong ใบรับรอง for certificate

so maybe, Tii-Pag... Bai-rap-rong ?

Good luck though wink.png

When I moved here last year I read on this forum in the visa section someone claimed

when you first move your suppose to report your presence to the police.

Well my wife & I went down & they were all smiles till she told them I needed to report my presence.

Then their faces all turned to mad as they asked what it is I had done in my previous country that required this.

I guess they thought I was a perv or something.

Well come to find out no such law exists but some folks confuse the law that requires landlords

& hotels to report the presence of foreigners smile.png

Well, at least there is a form for it.

tm28.pdf

Yeah that is the one I filled out & took in.

But they told me no such thing needed.

Yet I have read on the forum in some provinces folks do report.

Edited by mania

Yeah that is the one I filled out & took in.

But they told me no such thing needed.

Yet I have read on the forum in some provinces folks do report.

I am not trying to say you have to report or anything. However, your statement that no such law exists and it is being confused with a landlord's requirement I don't think is correct. I am just putting this for your information.

If anyone is interested in some of the reason things like this, including 90 day reporting, may have been implemented, they can research Thailand's dealing with Communist influence in Southeast Asia after WW II.

This is from the Immigration Act:

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the

following :

2. Shall stay at the place as indicated to the competent official. Where there is proper reason

that he cannot stay at the place as indicated to the competent official, he shall notify the competent official

of the change in residence , within 24 hours from the time of removing to said place.

3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such alien resides, within twenty

– four hours from the time of arrival. In the case of change in residence in which new residence is not

located the same area with the former police stations , such alien must notify the police official of the

police station for that area within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival.

4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty – four hours , such

alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty – eight hours from the time

of arrival.

5. If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, such alien must notify the

competent official at the Immigration Division , in writing , concerning his place of stay , as soon as

possible upon expiration of ninety days. The alien is required to do so every ninety days. Where there is

an Immigration Office , the alien may notify a competent Immigration Official of that office.

The provision of ( 3 ) and ( 4 ) shall not apply to any cases under Section 34 by any conditions as

prescribed by the Director General.

In making notification under this Section , the alien may make notification in person or send a

letter of notification to the competent official , in accordance with the regulations prescribed by the

Director General .

Edited by hml367

I am not trying to say you have to report or anything. However, your statement that no such law exists and it is being confused with a landlord's requirement I don't think is correct. I am just putting this for your information.

Yes thanks & yes I felt the same way.

Those word were the cops not mine.

I assumed since the form exists it must be a requirement

But I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Because when you read the requirements you posted from the section 37

It states...

"An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the

following"

So being on a 1 year visa I am not temp per se' ?

But it also says in this wording

"Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such alien resides, within twenty

– four hours from the time of arrival."

The wording "where such alien resides" suggests to me possibly the hotel or landlords? are doing that step.

Perhaps that is the form the hotels use to file back when I was

a tourist I remember having copies of my passport made & a form filled.

If not & such a law existed laying the work on tourist

"An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom"

surely you would be told by the airlines

or customs as you arrive in Thailand to proceed to a cop shop?

"within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival."

But also in the following section 5 it addresses folks who stay 90 days or longer.

What they describe I of course comply with thru my 90 day reporting.

So yes I was told to do the TM form & I tried.

But was basically told by the police nope.

Have you ever filed one in Chiang Mai?

Edited by mania

I files once.... They said I didn't need to file so I didn't file after that - but I only changed address once and it was within the same moo ban. Things change all the time. It is one of the things they could cite a person for if they couldn't find anything else. The onus is on the person staying AND the landlord. If you are not a Permanent Resident, you are staying in Thailand temporarily as far as they are concerned.

You are not here on a 1 year visa. You may have been allowed to enter Thailand on a visa which was valid for 1 year. When you entered, they grant you permission to stay - temporarily. If you stay for 1 year, you apply for an Extension of Temporary Stay in the Kingdom. I think that is the name of the form (T.M. 7).

This thread about a Certificate of Residency, which has nothing to do with Permanent Residence in the Kingdom.

I have always made 90 day reports whenever I stayed in Thailand longer than 90 days. Even during the time when many other people said they did not make the report, I always did. Of course it was a lot easier then.

Similar to another thread in which many people have said they have passed through Wing 41 many years/many times without ever having a sticker. Then when they are not allowed through they complain. The rule is you need a sticker. So the rule is you must report when you change address. It is just not enforced, apparently.

You should read the Immigration Act. It is only 15 pages on the English translation. Not difficult to understand in my opinion. It spells things out pretty clearly. I am not saying this to lecture. Reading the Act helped me understand more of why I must do certain things.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

• 1 month later...

I (finally) got round to buying the bike and went to the immigration zoo yesterday. Was told the queue was full and 'come back next week'. Great. And they definitely understood what I needed. A Thai guy in front of me was asking exactly the same question for a western customer of his.

That place is just insane - it reminds me of what Suan Phluu used to be like in Bangkok. 10x too small and 10x understaffed.

So I now have a lovely motorbike I'm not legally allowed to do anything with because the immigration department is housed in the size of a shoebox. Perhaps I should try the local police station instead ... very tired of shuffling through 200 people to get told to come back "next week"

I (finally) got round to buying the bike and went to the immigration zoo yesterday. Was told the queue was full and 'come back next week'. Great. And they definitely understood what I needed. A Thai guy in front of me was asking exactly the same question for a western customer of his.

That place is just insane - it reminds me of what Suan Phluu used to be like in Bangkok. 10x too small and 10x understaffed.

So I now have a lovely motorbike I'm not legally allowed to do anything with because the immigration department is housed in the size of a shoebox. Perhaps I should try the local police station instead ... very tired of shuffling through 200 people to get told to come back "next week"

Just go to your consulate (if there is one), pay the 1,500 for a certificate and start enjoying your bike!

Just go to your consulate (if there is one), pay the 1,500 for a certificate and start enjoying your bike!

nearly double that price at some consulates,rip off

I went yesterday (Thursday) morning a 10:00AM to get 2 CRs. One for my Chinese wife and one for me. I had previously gotten the CR applications so I had them completed with all the necessary copies + photos. I waited on line for 15 minutes. I gave the applications and was given an appointment slip to return in 3 business days. It was easy enough. Yes, it will cost me about an hour but I saved $75 by getting the CR at the Chinese Consulate and the US Consulate. Even if it had cost me 2 hours, I rather give myself $37 an hour than the consulate bureaucrats.

nearly double that price at some consulates,rip off

Got a price list?

I went yesterday (Thursday) morning a 10:00AM to get 2 CRs. One for my Chinese wife and one for me. I had previously gotten the CR applications so I had them completed with all the necessary copies + photos. I waited on line for 15 minutes. I gave the applications and was given an appointment slip to return in 3 business days. It was easy enough. Yes, it will cost me about an hour but I saved $75 by getting the CR at the Chinese Consulate and the US Consulate. Even if it had cost me 2 hours, I rather give myself $37 an hour than the consulate bureaucrats.

Correction, I meant to write "I saved $75 by NOT getting the CR at the Chinese Consulate and the US Consulate."

I'm from the UK, so British Consulate. On first page of this thread someone said "british cousulate charge you 2300 bht for certificate"

I'll give the zoo one more visit Monday morning and see what happens. If not, its off to the consulate and pay the exorbitant 2,300B, or whatever the latest rip-off price is ....

I'm from the UK, so British Consulate. On first page of this thread someone said "british cousulate charge you 2300 bht for certificate"

I'll give the zoo one more visit Monday morning and see what happens. If not, its off to the consulate and pay the exorbitant 2,300B, or whatever the latest rip-off price is ....

It's not the British governments fault, that the Thai government make us have these silly things.

Edited by uptheos

It's not the British governments fault, that the Thai government make us have these silly things.

Correct. But it is the British government's fault they charge at least 2,300B when its US$50 at the US consulate. Brits get institutionally overcharged so the "nice people in charge" can live in the manner they've been accustomed to for hundreds of years.

• Like 1

Correct. But it is the British government's fault they charge at least 2,300B when its US$50 at the US consulate. Brits get institutionally overcharged so the "nice people in charge" can live in the manner they've been accustomed to for hundreds of years.

In the U.S. they have a president to pay a very modest salary to. But in Britain you have a queen and her whole entourage to pay. This doesn't come cheap so expect to pay more when you require the services of your government.

• Like 1

I agree, but the Thai's should just get their frigging act together and standardise everything across the board. Then there would be no need to buy from the British, American or any other consulate. They don't force you to go, there's always the police or Tourist Police as others have pointed out.

It's expensive for the Brits, but for an Aussie staying in Chiang Mai it is more so, as the Aussie consulate is in Bangkok only. Unless the Honorary Consul here is able to do them?

It's expensive for the Brits, but for an Aussie staying in Chiang Mai it is more so, as the Aussie consulate is in Bangkok only. Unless the Honorary Consul here is able to do them?

Just tag it onto the cost or the 4X4 and don't stress the small stuff.wink.png

• Like 1

Does anyone know if CM Immigration are still not issuing residence certificates? My understanding was that they were trying to restore the service and were waiting on extra staff in order to do so. A month ago they were saying they hoped to have the service back in a month's time so I'm just wondering.

Thanks in advance.

15Peter

"Live on the manor, to which they've been accustomed", surely ?

And worth pointing out, for our American friends, that the UK's Royals are largely (although not totally) self-funding, so not an expense on the public-purse.

And worth pointing out, for our American friends, that the UK's Royals are largely (although not totally) self-funding, so not an expense on the public-purse.

So if "not totally" whose purse is the 'not total' part coming out of pray tell?

The official figure is about £36 million. If you believe the republicans, it's £200 million.

And just to get back on topic for 15Peter20 - yes they've started doing them again.