Pyongyang Declares ' State Of War' With South Korea - Agency

webfact

Why should "Beijing" have nightmares about a flood of refugees and defectors in case of a collapse of the North Korean regime?

The next step for Korea would be a reunification. Shouldn't that make the Koreans happy and to stay in their country?

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should "Beijing" have nightmares about a flood of refugees and defectors in case of a collapse of the North Korean regime?

The next step for Korea would be a reunification. Shouldn't that make the Koreans happy and to stay in their country?

Haha, I can just see this scene after the "reunification."

SK man: Welcome my NK brother, look at this new Samsung Galaxy!

NK man: Wow, thanks, what is that?

SK man: It's the latest smart phone we've developed.

NK man: What's a phone?

Since this reintroduction of mobile phones, North Koreans have been purchasing them at an astonishing rate. In Orascom Telecom’s 3rd quarter report, they note that the number of Koryolink subscribers has increased by 170 percent over the past year. Orascom sees this is the result of both greater market segmentation and increased network coverage, but it is equally possible that it is simply the result of pre-existing demand.

According to the report, 94 percent of the population of North Korea is already covered by Koryolink’s 3G network.

http://www.nknews.org/2011/12/understanding-koryo-link/

NK man: ....and what's smart mean?

Yes, the S Koreans dread bringing the N Koreans up to speed - everything about it, from the financial cost, to socializing their northern brethren, to educating them, housing them etc. Hosing especially is burdensome, given that the South of the Korean peninsula is 70% uninhabitable mountains down the spine. This means the almost 50 million S Koreans have to live on 30% of the land, to include agriculture. Koreans, as with the PRChinese, live in 30 storey high rise apartment buildings due to the lack of living space. I've seen high rise apartment buildings in the South on terraced land along high hills, with winding roads to them, because S Koreans have to use every available space for housing.

The experience of having N Korean refugees who have 'defected' to the South is well researched, documented and anecdotally known. The N Koeans who trekked the long route through the back roads and hills of the PRChina all the way to Thailand, continuing on to S Korea have had an awful time adjusting to the bright lights big cities and hustle and bustle of modern S Korea. Some have done better than others but only after years of adjustment. Most are unemployable except to wash dishes and other such jobs, which is not the image of themselves they had when they escaped the North.

I would also take a moment to commend the Thai government, civic and religious organizations for being the only SE Asia country to openly defy Beijing by allowing 'defectors' from the North to transit through Thailand to a third country. As much as Asians hate to choose sides openly and directly, the Thai government unequivocally sided with the United States on this one. Amazing Thailand.

I suppose we could use as theoretically workable example the German reunification. However, there were more technological, cultural, and societal similarities there I believe than what we would see in a unified Korea. Sounds like a mess....

**Anyone else watch those bootlegged secret camera filmings of NK done by the Canadian guys? You can download it on the torrents. I forgot the name.

Edited by keemapoot

Yes, the S Koreans dread bringing the N Koreans up to speed - everything about it, from the financial cost, to socializing their northern brethren, to educating them, housing them etc. Hosing especially is burdensome, given that the South of the Korean peninsula is 70% uninhabitable mountains down the spine. This means the almost 50 million S Koreans have to live on 30% of the land, to include agriculture. Koreans, as with the PRChinese, live in 30 storey high rise apartment buildings due to the lack of living space. I've seen high rise apartment buildings in the South on terraced land along high hills, with winding roads to them, because S Koreans have to use every available space for housing.

The experience of having N Korean refugees who have 'defected' to the South is well researched, documented and anecdotally known. The N Koeans who trekked the long route through the back roads and hills of the PRChina all the way to Thailand, continuing on to S Korea have had an awful time adjusting to the bright lights big cities and hustle and bustle of modern S Korea. Some have done better than others but only after years of adjustment. Most are unemployable except to wash dishes and other such jobs, which is not the image of themselves they had when they escaped the North.

I would also take a moment to commend the Thai government, civic and religious organizations for being the only SE Asia country to openly defy Beijing by allowing 'defectors' from the North to transit through Thailand to a third country. As much as Asians hate to choose sides openly and directly, the Thai government unequivocally sided with the United States on this one. Amazing Thailand.

I suppose we could use as theoretically workable example the German reunification. However, there were more technological, cultural, and societal similarities there I believe than what we would see in a unified Korea. Sounds like a mess....

**Anyone else watch those bootlegged secret camera filmings of NK done by the Canadian guys? You can download it on the torrents. I forgot the name.

Rats, I too forget the name but I share the view that it's good, revealing, highly informative of N Korea.

And yes, selected N Koreans having some junk mobile phones does not a technological society make. Governments around the world and global corporations, investors, no more believe the data that come out of Pyongyang about their Worker's Party Paradise than believe the "man made" data that come out of Beijing about their smoothly zooming economy - the term "man made" came from a CCP official in the government no less in a rare moment of candor.

• Like 1

On the 24 news channel this morning in OZ, was a message from the Sth Korean Prime Minister. She stated, in my words that if Nth Korea provoke the South any more, Sth Korea would mount an all out offensive against the North. She stated, in my words roughly, that her military and the people of the South had had a gut full and would put up with no more crap.

OZ news said, the US sent a couple of jets to the South yesterday, they are the best and allegedly the fastest in the world. The best the Nth Koreans have date back to 1980, Russian Sabres.

Hope all goes well for the little leader and his threats.w00t.gif

N. Korea has more modern fighter aircraft such as the MIG 23 & 29 variants, but in limited numbers. The big question is do they have up to date avionics and counter measure capability, that I doubt. The other question is do they have the necessary real time war fighting integration capability such as AWACS

NK airforce is an outdated joke. MIG 29s??? MIG 23s??? US weapons can also hit them long before we are in their range.

"North Koreas Geriatric Airforce is a Harmless Joke Straight out if the 60s,"

http://www.businessinsider.com/north-koreas-geriatric-air-force-is-a-joke-2013-2

The oldest South Korean warplanes date from the late 1960s and early 1970s and form 51 per cent of South Korea's air power, while the Soviet- and Chinese-made workhorses of the NKPAF were developed in the 1950s and 1960s and comprise 78 per cent of North Korea's air power. Thus, the NKPAF is unable to marshal a three-to-one numerical superiority over the South, is antiquated and suffers from fuel shortages.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/North-Korea-Can-it-really-be-a-serious-military-th-30196135.html

Back in 1984, the U.S. prepared a campaign plan that would have made possible the destruction of the entire North Korean air force in 100 hours. Retired U.S. Air Force generals say the military could do it even faster today.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/29/what-kind-attack-could-north-korea-launch/

Walsh said despite the rhetoric, the "war fundamentals" have not changed. North Korea would be obliterated by South Korea in the event of a war, with or without U.S. military support -- and the North Koreans know that.

An over reaction. As I said dependent on up to date avionics, weapons systems etc did not even suggest that N.Korean airforce is a strategic threat, but will have to be dealt with if push comes to shove; for the moment looks highly unlikely

On the 24 news channel this morning in OZ, was a message from the Sth Korean Prime Minister. She stated, in my words that if Nth Korea provoke the South any more, Sth Korea would mount an all out offensive against the North. She stated, in my words roughly, that her military and the people of the South had had a gut full and would put up with no more crap.

OZ news said, the US sent a couple of jets to the South yesterday, they are the best and allegedly the fastest in the world. The best the Nth Koreans have date back to 1980, Russian Sabres.

Hope all goes well for the little leader and his threats.w00t.gif

N. Korea has more modern fighter aircraft such as the MIG 23 & 29 variants, but in limited numbers. The big question is do they have up to date avionics and counter measure capability, that I doubt. The other question is do they have the necessary real time war fighting integration capability such as AWACS

NK airforce is an outdated joke. MIG 29s??? MIG 23s??? US weapons can also hit them long before we are in their range.

"North Koreas Geriatric Airforce is a Harmless Joke Straight out if the 60s,"

http://www.businessinsider.com/north-koreas-geriatric-air-force-is-a-joke-2013-2

The oldest South Korean warplanes date from the late 1960s and early 1970s and form 51 per cent of South Korea's air power, while the Soviet- and Chinese-made workhorses of the NKPAF were developed in the 1950s and 1960s and comprise 78 per cent of North Korea's air power. Thus, the NKPAF is unable to marshal a three-to-one numerical superiority over the South, is antiquated and suffers from fuel shortages.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/North-Korea-Can-it-really-be-a-serious-military-th-30196135.html

Back in 1984, the U.S. prepared a campaign plan that would have made possible the destruction of the entire North Korean air force in 100 hours. Retired U.S. Air Force generals say the military could do it even faster today.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/29/what-kind-attack-could-north-korea-launch/

Walsh said despite the rhetoric, the "war fundamentals" have not changed. North Korea would be obliterated by South Korea in the event of a war, with or without U.S. military support -- and the North Koreans know that.

An over reaction. As I said dependent on up to date avionics, weapons systems etc did not even suggest that N.Korean airforce is a strategic threat, but will have to be dealt with if push comes to shove; for the moment looks highly unlikely

Haha, some people are so serious and never wrong.

Fulcrum doesn't stand a chance against a super hornet or F22 regardless of what avionics or weapons. I also doubt NK has Archers, but even if they did the Archers would be useless even against good old 120s. NK's airforce would be neutralized completely within hours and not one single US plane would be shot down.

NK's only threat is how many scuds or crappy missiles could get through to Seoul before those are taken down. Ground forces would get slaughtered as NK's armor division and artillery are perhaps as old and as outdated as the air force.

Perhaps this is a good time to neutralize their capability before they have additional to fully develop nuclear tipped missile capability. Is there a general consesus that they even have that in short range capability? By general consesus, I am excluding what dwarf boy with fancy hair cut says. Anyone else notice how short his arms are!

Edited by F430murci

Going by your rhetoric F430murci are you willing to lead the offensive on North Korea, that is of course if it doesn't interfere with your recently announced upcoming family vacation tour plans to this part of the world ? wai2.gif

Being as Audie Murphy is no longer available it seems as if you would be a fine candidate to assume his cloak of bravery and heroism.smile.png

• Like 1

Going by your rhetoric F430murci are you willing to lead the offensive on North Korea, that is of course if it doesn't interfere with your recently announced upcoming family vacation tour plans to this part of the world ? wai2.gif

Being as Audie Murphy is no longer available it seems as if you would be a fine candidate to assume his cloak of bravery and heroism.smile.png

I am a lover and not a fighter. Audie Murphy before my time. Yeah, I hope things remain calm for many reasons and I hope Russia is chill after Cyprus and other issues. Some crazy, whacked out MFs in Russia and my wife's family has a few of them. Fun people though.

One of my partners is ex special forces, and jag. I full faith and confidence in those guys leading the charge and have full confidence in our millitary. Leave short stuff in power and just take away his millitary capability and US can be in and out. We just screw up when we try and stabilize and nation build.

Edited by F430murci

Some US citizens are very boastful, but no doubt whatsoever that US & S.Korea can destroy the N.Korea military & nuclear threat. I never suggested otherwise. What we do not see is the ones who beat their breast about the all powerful US military is how the US & S.Korea intend to stabilise the peninsular and support the N.Korean population after a war, should it occur. Hopefully the US and some of it's citizens have learnt from some very painful lessons, after being so dismissive of the aftermath of war in countries that have been ruled by dictators for years.

Leave midget boy and just neutralize his millitary capability. We were in and out after Kuwait/Gulf war and things were fine. Repeat of that here if necessary. Chest beating is being done by short stuff running around threatening to blow everyone up.

I just respond to statements regarding whether NK has a chance, how long it will take and likely collateral damage. I prefer peace route and would be happy if everyone walks away with zero loss of life. I, however, am concerned that giving stump more time simply provides him with a bytes opportunity to create weapons that really can hurt a lot of innocent people.

Edited by F430murci

I am a lover and not a fighter. Audie Murphy before my time. Yeah, I hope things remain calm for many reasons and I hope Russia is chill after Cyprus and other issues. Some crazy, whacked out MFs in Russia and my wife's family has a few of them. Fun people though.

One of my partners is ex special forces, and jag. I full faith and confidence in those guys leading the charge and have full confidence in our millitary. Leave short stuff in power and just take away his millitary capability and US can be in and out. We just screw up when we try and stabilize and nation build.

So as long as somebody else is "leading the charge", you have complete confidence in the US and South Korea being able to destroy the largest military in the world in four days.

IF the North attempts something it could get very ugly, very quickly. If the North lobs 10,000 artillery shells into the South it could cause a great deal of havoc and loss of life.

Be glad you are behind that mahogany desk in NSB, Florida, should that happen and somebody else is leading the charge in your absence.

so south koreans in your observation living in high rise apartment buildings because of the mountains.

what it has to do with the reunification? building houses they can do also in the North. and i guess many of them know how to work.

your example of some poor 'defectors' might be not valid for all of them. the reason for this might be also that they often fell for some Christian sect.

reunification will not be easy. that is true. but certainly not the worries of the Chinese. maybe more for the American, because it will probably mean that their troops have to leave.

Sorry, but IMO Thailand is moivated by South Korea's compensatory payments.

Please note that SK covers all financial costs associated witht he refugees and I would expect is rather generous with Thai officials who seem to be quite good with transiting refugess (e.g. Tamils and Rohingyas)

So as long as somebody else is "leading the charge", you have complete confidence in the US and South Korea being able to destroy the largest military in the world in four days.

IF the North attempts something it could get very ugly, very quickly. If the North lobs 10,000 artillery shells into the South it could cause a great deal of havoc and loss of life.

Be glad you are behind that mahogany desk in NSB, Florida, should that happen and somebody else is leading the charge in your absence.

You gotta be grumpiest old bitter dude ever. Yes, higher education and paying 6 figures in taxes a year gives me right to sit behind and desk and be proud of our boys. I know many military guys, Eglin pilots and many special forces guys live in my high-rise in Destin. These guys are the best and ready to do whatever is necessary. I have complete confidence in these guys.

• Like 1

My escape from North Korea

As a child growing up in North Korea, Hyeonseo Lee thought her country was “the best on the planet.” It wasn’t until the famine of the 90s that she began to wonder. She escaped the country at 14, to begin a life in hiding, as a refugee in China. Hers is a harrowing, personal tale of survival and hope — and a powerful reminder of those who face constant danger, even when the border is far behind.

Born in North Korea, Hyeonseo Lee left for China in 1997. Now living in South Korea, she has become an activist for fellow refugees.

http://www.ted.com/talks/hyeonseo_lee_my_escape_from_north_korea.html

Edited by HaruHaru

You gotta be grumpiest old bitter dude ever. Yes, higher education and paying 6 figures in taxes a year gives me right to sit behind and desk and be proud of our boys. I know many military guys, Eglin pilots and many special forces guys live in my high-rise in Destin. These guys are the best and ready to do whatever is necessary. I have complete confidence in these guys.

I have the highest respect for them as well, having worked alongside them for many years. Been there, done that.

By the way, I am not grumpy or bitter. Well, at times a little grumpy when somebody tries to build up their resume on an anonymous forum by spouting details about their personal wealth and education. Just so much smoke and mirrors to me.

Call me skeptical.coffee1.gif

''In a rare show of force in the region, Washington has deployed nuclear-capable US B-52s, B-2 stealth bombers and two US destroyers to South Korean air and sea space.''

And not even mentioning the boomer sitting right off the N Korean peninsula. whistling.gif

''In a rare show of force in the region, Washington has deployed nuclear-capable US B-52s, B-2 stealth bombers and two US destroyers to South Korean air and sea space.''

Along with deploying an advanced missile defense system to Guam. I suspect there may be some new toys in Washington's arsenal we don't yet know about to squash this bug if necessary.

Yep, pretty much have to say that if they are going to take any millitary action.

Along with deploying an advanced missile defense system to Guam. I suspect there may be some new toys in Washington's arsenal we don't yet know about to squash this bug if necessary.

The scary part is that the joint chiefs are probably licking their chops at the chance to kick off another conflict. And a nuclear conflict at that! After all, the military industrial complex needs to be fed, just like the 1,000,000 man army in N Korea.

Odd that the POTUS has not made any comments on this topic considering the severity of the consequences. Too busy shooting hoops I guess.

President speaking on this simply encourages more crazy rhetoric and threats from midget boy. I imagine when we hear from the President on this it will be telling us about what has happened and what actions US has begun to take. Be very serious at that point and lights out for NK.

Silence is strength here and President is very smart not to tip hand one way or the other.

• Like 2