Thailand's Mobile Network Operators Warned To Get Ready For Power Crisis

webfact

Cellular companies warned to get ready for power crisis

BANGKOK, 30 March 2013 (NNT) - The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has urged all mobile network operators to be prepared for an energy crisis in April after Myanmar announced to close its gas pipelines for maintenance.

NBTC Secretary-General Thakorn Tanthasit said the commission had sent a letter to all wireless service providers to warn them about possible outages and power cuts in some areas, especially in Bangkok and its vicinities.

A long electricity failure might affect network stations of the providers and result in service disruptions, Mr Thakorn said.

The NBTC urged all operators to make sure that their customers would have continuous service and experience no problems in mobile phone use from 5-14 April.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-03-30 footer_n.gif

The NBTC is warning mobil phone providers that power cuts could affect their service to customers, but is urging them to make sure their service is provided to your customers.

The various government spokesmen/women need to set down each morning and get the straight scoop from the powers that be, so they can all sing to the same tune. Sorry the time difference would put probably prove to be inconvient to all concerned, especially with members of cabinet traveling outside the principal time zones, involved.

These people are not only on the wrong page, but have the wrong book when it comes to cordinating their stories/efforts.

And to think we were all reassured a few days back that there wouldn't be any problems at all regarding power outages!!!

Looks like the little white lie syndrome so beloved by the Finance Minister is now an accepted operating procedure for all governmental departments.

Thaksinspeak has been well and truly implanted into the minds of the myriad of puppets in this current maladministration.

Well it might delay another Skype chat to instruct the current maladministration puppets on what to do with any good luck,. .

It really doesn't fill one with much confidence does it. Someone peeps up that there will be a problem, then everyone scurries around to put in place some plans to hopefully insure nothing goes wrong, then people warn people of possible outages.

Why they can't just state the truth, and say, we are going to try our absolute best to solve it, but these are unusual circumstances and there may be a problem. What is it about the psyche of "face' that they fell they have to lie that the problem is solved, when all it does is create the feeling that nothing has been solved at all?

• Like 1

What I don't understand is why Myanmar must close all it's gas pipes to Thailand at once

and not close them sequentially to do their maintainance.

12.5% drop in gas flow over three weeks is better than

25% reduction of gas flow for 1.5 weeks.

And why has this never happened before?

I think a message is being sent to start treating Myanmar

more as a good neighbor and partner, and less as an adversary,

because if it decides to be an adversary, Thailand is in the poop big time.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 2

What I don't understand is why Myanmar must close all it's gas pipes to Thailand at once and not close them sequentially to do their maintainance. 12.5% drop in gas flow over three weeks is better than 25% reduction of gas flow for 1.5 weeks. And why has this never happened before? I think a message is being sent to start treating Myanmar more as a good neighbor and partner, and less as an adversary, because if it decides to be an adversary, Thailand is in the poop big time.

I doubt there is anything malicious about it. Am sure some pipe line engineer somewhere has an answer.

Crisis doesn't even begin to describe this situation. Imagine all those people forced to unglue their faces from their mobile devices and actually rejoin the real world.

I hope support groups are on hand to deal with the fallout.

+1

Wow! That will be a problem. As soupdragon indicates, unglue from a mobile device.

Imagine, a BTS really packed and people have to look at each other rather than their mobilescreen! On the other hand, may be romance will be in the air?

Why shut the pipelines during the Hot season when Electricity consumption is at its peak? Surely it'd make more sense to clean them in the cooler months when some people can get by without running every fan & aircon unit they have at maximum

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

Why shut the pipelines during the Hot season when Electricity consumption is at its peak? Surely it'd make more sense to clean them in the cooler months when some people can get by without running every fan & aircon unit they have at maximum Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

what is the planned work ?.....without this info you dont know the reason why they have to do this and there will be a very good reason, I assure you...

In Phuket at the top of Toh-Sae hill are all the TV transmitters and a lot of mobile phone masts. The operators regularly carry out tests of their diesel electricity generators because Phuket has regular power cuts (often caused by a deceased moron vehicle hitting a power pole).

Why should Bangkok and elsewhere be any different?

this Country is run by <deleted> wits..1 week to the next the story changes; its idiotic

the cynical side of me says the goverment is playing up the consequences of the "crisis" as if there are no black outs...they can run around patting themselves on the back and saying they averted the "crisis"

Edited by Soutpeel

What I don't understand is why Myanmar must close all it's gas pipes to Thailand at once and not close them sequentially to do their maintainance. 12.5% drop in gas flow over three weeks is better than 25% reduction of gas flow for 1.5 weeks. And why has this never happened before? I think a message is being sent to start treating Myanmar more as a good neighbor and partner, and less as an adversary, because if it decides to be an adversary, Thailand is in the poop big time.

My understanding of it that they close down the pipeline every year for 3 days - at Songkhran. (No factories working, most offices closed - no one notices.)

This year is the first 'biggie', so they really do not have a clue.

i'd be more worried about how to keep cool with no power....... no air-con.....no fans.....people will be dropping like flies.

how did people do it in the days BAC ?...."Before Air Con"

We simply did without. When I was a boy we didn't even have electricty in the house. People used hand fans.

I expect if this comes about the small gas power generators that are selling for 20,000 Baht will jump to 30,000 Baht immediately.

• Like 1

i'd be more worried about how to keep cool with no power....... no air-con.....no fans.....people will be dropping like flies.

Really I've been living here 6 years no electric in the day at all and generator supply 6pm-6am no aircon as the generator is to small.

It's only a power cut not the end of the world I find it hilarious all these comments when I be been coping with it for 6 years no problems I'm so used to it now I have no need for electric in the daytime.

Really I've been living here 6 years no electric in the day at all and generator supply 6pm-6am no aircon as the generator is to small.

It's only a power cut not the end of the world I find it hilarious all these comments when I be been coping with it for 6 years no problems I'm so used to it now I have no need for electric in the daytime.

My hero...

but how are typing this message...its only 17:00 you aint switched your generator on yet and dont have power during the day..dont need it....Nuclear powered PC ?

please dont tell me your doing this from an I-pad ?...

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 2

^

Nothing heroic about it I would imagine there are thousands of people in Thailand that live without 24 hour electric,and here we have ferang oh no I'm gonna die without my aircon ,I have a solution for you go and sit in your car all day then......

Sputhpeel it's iPhone of coarse ,I start the generator in 1 hour then I can pump my water from the well too.

Edited by taninthai

Oh dear there go's facebook, what a pity.coffee1.gif

Even worse TV will go down ....what are the members in Isaan going to do..they will have no one to talk to...whistling.gif

They will do as they have always done......live with the climate.....in houses designed for the tropics...not like the xxxxxxxxx in the cities trying to live like westerners in a "McDonald mansion" totally unsuited to the geography. Oh ...and they'll also be enjoying Songkran. I know I will be.

Edited by metisdead
: Vulgar profanity removed.