Thailand's Upper North Still Facing Haze Problem

webfact

Thailand's upper north still facing haze problem
By Digital Media

13646321624017.jpg

CHIANG MAI, March 30 -- Thailand’s northern provinces have been facing thick haze engulfing the region while overall dust particle levels remain at a critical level.

The level of dust particles was recorded at 175 microgrammes per cubic metre at Yupparaj Wittayalai School in Chiang Mai’s provincial seat.

Meanwhile, the smog situation in other upper northern provinces, particularly in Chiang Rai’s Mae Sai district and Mae Hong Son, is still worrying as the dust particle level was above the safe limit of 120 microgrammes per cubic metre.

In Mae Hong Son, the average of the dust particle level over the 24-hour period was measured at 235 microgrammes per cubic metre, impacting the health of many residents, particularly children, the elderly, and those with chronic diseases.

Officials in the smog-blanketed provinces are keeping a close watch on burning activities to prevent worsening smog and easing the situation ahead of the coming Thai New Year ‘Songkran’ festival in April. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-03-30

Haven't Thais been doing burnoffs for centuries. Why is that it has become a problem recently? And if burnoffs were to stop, would there be a build up of dry tender over a the years creating a high potential for a major fire similar to Australia black Saturday.

Haven't Thais been doing burnoffs for centuries. Why is that it has become a problem recently? And if burnoffs were to stop, would there be a build up of dry tender over a the years creating a high potential for a major fire similar to Australia black Saturday.

As you said my friend, they have been burning for centuries and regardless of the 'crackdowns', it will never stop. I imagine the only way to start addressing the problem would be to find out whose land is burning and fine the individual.

I drove to Nan on Friday, Lampang on Tuesday and Phayao yesterday and in ALL 3 provinces, there was A LOT of burning. On the way back from Lampang, literally the side of the mountain was on fire!

Also, and I think this is the real issue, the Thais know, the authorities can't and just won't do anything about it!

Edited by youngXpat

Went up the hills yesterday on way to Wiang Hiang, saw a council truck and two workers lighting the roadside. I agree with jayci that this has been going on for centuries, I also agree that it cannot be stopped but why not let everyone burn during certain periods, say the first five days of a month, at least we would have better conditions for most of the month and the people could still get their burning done.

As you said my friend, they have been burning for centuries and regardless of the 'crackdowns', it will never stop. I imagine the only way to start addressing the problem would be to find out whose land is burning and fine the individual.

I drove to Nan on Friday, Lampang on Tuesday and Phayao yesterday and in ALL 3 provinces, there was A LOT of burning. On the way back from Lampang, literally the side of the mountain was on fire!

Also, and I think this is the real issue, the Thais know, the authorities can't and just won't do anything about it!

Make the TAO responsible for the sub-district they are SUPPOSED to be in charge of. Fine them for their lack of action and the villagers there may take notice.

it can't that bad because it " fails to hurt Chiang Mai tourism sector " !!

That may be so in Chiang Mai but is costs regions in Mae Hong Son dearly. Mae Sariang where I live is virtually devoid of tourists, hotels are empty, businesses profits are reduced, but the farmers are laughing all the way to the bank. It's cheaper to burn than to invest in the equipment to get the land ready for the next crop. This is a rich area for farming but only the farmers and banks benefit. No wonder so many of the farmers are able to continually build huge new houses in the area. I'm suprised that the hotel and business owners don't join forces and insist that the the government takes responsible action, after all they pay their taxes, I wonder if the " poor " farmers even know about taxes. However what's the point the government never takes action, just talk the talk.. My third year at this time of year and it's effecting my heakth, next year I'll go and see my family in England for a two month break, despite the snow there this year.

• Like 1

My wife is 15 weeks pregnant and we have been in Australia for the last 2 months. Hope the smoke is gone by the time we get back on the 1st of May. Glad we are here and not back in Chiang Mai, the baby would be born with a smoker's cough.

• Like 1

The chance of 'them' doing anything about is about equivalent to my chance of winning the Euro Lottery, Nil.

There is no money in this for those that enforce. There is no Kudos in this for Thaksin's puppets.

It is easier simply to blame the Burmans or the hill tribe folk: like that we also manage to divide and rule.

Not just Thailand unfortunately, as Burma and Laos have their fair share of burning off. It's pretty bad in Chiang Rai at the moment :(

One issue almost never discussed is the large companies (CP comes to mind) which have had local growers switch over to growing corn, primarily used for livestock feed. These fields are then burned out AFTER EACH GROWING. The company reaps the benefits of the lower costs without shouldering any responsibility for the health of the Thai people or us visitors.

• Like 1