Songkran Death Poll

britmaveric

Songkran Deaths 2006  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Songkran isn't the problem. It's Thailands attitudes towards drink driving that is to blame. It's just that during Songkran half the country travels somewhere, and many of 'em do so half-cut.

Thats true, it's a holiday and for some people that involves drinking and travelling, probably the same like New Year in UK was always a time when the Police would catch most Drink Drivers.

If the Thai Police stopped the Farangs driving cars and riding Motorcycles around the Tourist spots of Thailand at 11 or 12pm, I wonder how many would have a alcohol blood level high enough to get them a driving ban in their own countries ?

If Pattaya is anything to go by, then many Farangs would be driving with too much Alcohol in their systems, holidays tend to cloud peoples judgements, like the Farangs who don't want to wear a crash helmet in Thailand but would never think of not wearing one back in their own country, it's a Holiday thing, fun, freedom, and a false sense of security.

Not just for many Thai people, but for Many other people too. :o

Edited by Maigo6

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would bet on between 500 and 1000, mostly YOUNG LIVES gone, and that does not include all the badly maimed that will never walk again :o

Then look at the loss to the famlily, Parents will loose Sons and Daughters, Children will loose parents.

Which one of us unfortunate posters is gonna witness death at first hand? :D

It should be illegal to throw water at motorcycle's and also illegal for motorists to spray water from cars or bikes.

Songkran's concept at the begining was nothing like what happens these days, splashing a bit of water on someone s head is totally different from what seems to happen these days where drunken yobs take great pleasure in causing as much pain and discomfort as possible to other human beings.

Supersoakers will be in the shops shortly now,,,, these should be regarded as lethal weapons and BANNED

I am not a killjoy, I like to have a laugh as much as anyone else, but Sonkran is out of control IMO and drastic measures should be taken to reduce this inevitably high death toll

Actually you ARE a killjoy ..... death by supersoaker? geeze ......

If you want to make a point ... it is the drinking and driving that is the problem. A watergun is just that ... a squirtgun! A "super-soaker" is less dangerous than a pail of water thrown etc .... but really ... get the people drinking and driving off the road and you'll get down to a very few deaths ... and those will be just unfortunate accidents.

Get a grip people .... it's a waterfight ... in most places in Thailand for a couple of days only (the last 2 years I have been in places where it was 1 day only ....) And it was fun! ...

We saw 1 death last year ... drunken idiot on a bike .... had nothing to do with Songkran and 100% to do with booze and driving a bike ... I am just glad the guy was alone on his bike and didn't hit anyone else.

Well wait till you see 2 University Student Girls get washed under their bike into the path of an oncoming truck......maybee you would have a different opinion. I honestly hope you never have to

Up here there are guys in pick ups with massive barrells of water just waiting and doing there best to knock kids off their bikes all day. They are NOT drunk nor are the kids...but the kids are very DEAD. I was at the hospital earlier this morning and they have a board full of pictures taken during last Sonkran...blood and dead kids everywhere, and there WILL be more pictures this year thats for sure.

That drunken kid on a bike that you saw killed .. sure he deserved to die didn't he? Bet his parents, brothers and sisters were over the moon that he got killed becuase he was drunk and bowed to the peer pressure put on him by his mates ... but you can easily laugh ot off and get back to enjoying yourself eh!

Jeeez jdinasia really make wonder about the human race, you have no compassion whatsover, let alone brains

Supersoakers will be in the shops shortly now,,,, these should be regarded as lethal weapons and BANNED

They already have been. I've been looking everywhere for one to no avail. :o

There is a shop on my soi that is selling them by the hundreds- all shapes / sizes.

I would bet on between 500 and 1000, mostly YOUNG LIVES gone, and that does not include all the badly maimed that will never walk again :o

Then look at the loss to the famlily, Parents will loose Sons and Daughters, Children will loose parents.

Which one of us unfortunate posters is gonna witness death at first hand? :D

It should be illegal to throw water at motorcycle's and also illegal for motorists to spray water from cars or bikes.

Songkran's concept at the begining was nothing like what happens these days, splashing a bit of water on someone s head is totally different from what seems to happen these days where drunken yobs take great pleasure in causing as much pain and discomfort as possible to other human beings.

I am not a killjoy, I like to have a laugh as much as anyone else, but Sonkran is out of control IMO and drastic measures should be taken to reduce this inevitably high death toll

Actually you ARE a killjoy ..... death by supersoaker? geeze ......

If you want to make a point ... it is the drinking and driving that is the problem. A watergun is just that ... a squirtgun! A "super-soaker" is less dangerous than a pail of water thrown etc .... but really ... get the people drinking and driving off the road and you'll get down to a very few deaths ... and those will be just unfortunate accidents.

Get a grip people .... it's a waterfight ... in most places in Thailand for a couple of days only (the last 2 years I have been in places where it was 1 day only ....) And it was fun! ...

We saw 1 death last year ... drunken idiot on a bike .... had nothing to do with Songkran and 100% to do with booze and driving a bike ... I am just glad the guy was alone on his bike and didn't hit anyone else.

Well wait till you see 2 University Student Girls get washed under their bike into the path of an oncoming truck......maybee you would have a different opinion. I honestly hope you never have to

Up here there are guys in pick ups with massive barrells of water just waiting and doing there best to knock kids off their bikes all day. They are NOT drunk nor are the kids...but the kids are very DEAD. I was at the hospital earlier this morning and they have a board full of pictures taken during last Sonkran...blood and dead kids everywhere, and there WILL be more pictures this year thats for sure.

That drunken kid on a bike that you saw killed .. sure he deserved to die didn't he? Bet his parents, brothers and sisters were over the moon that he got killed becuase he was drunk and bowed to the peer pressure put on him by his mates ... but you can easily laugh ot off and get back to enjoying yourself eh!

Jeeez jdinasia really make wonder about the human race, you have no compassion whatsover, let alone brains

LOL ... thanks for the little FLAME there TP ... That drunken "kid" <as you say> that I saw killed was a tourist. He'd have died any night of the year. Yes I see the results of accidents. I know for sure I wouldn't let my friends ride a bike on songkran (hel_l I'd not let them drive in BKK ever!) If you see people "up here" deliberately trying to hurt people maybe you should get them to stop? But if it is all just hype to force your P.O.V. on others ... best keep quiet

> There is a shop on my soi that is selling them by the hundreds- all shapes / sizes.

Nah, they look the part, but mostly arent the real thing. Most produce only a very pathetic pee of water, also the really big ones. It's not size that matters here, it's basic construction.

They already have been. I've been looking everywhere for one to no avail. :D

Water Balloons? :o

Surprise, surprise. They are hiding the super-soakers, but they can be had.

TIT! :D

Up here there are guys in pick ups with massive barrells of water just waiting and doing there best to knock kids off their bikes all day.

Not to be argumentative, but I've NEVER seen people act like this in the last 15 years I've been enjoying Song Kran, and I really don't believe it.

Accidents happen, but, unlike London or New York, almost no one is acting maliciously. :o

That is why Song Kran is such a nice holiday. :D

As someone pointed out in an earlier post, the toll will be marked to fit under the desired result. Yesterday there was a post from a news article from the Post? that said that there were no casualties yet in 38 provinces, so that tells you how reliable the count must be.

At any rate alcohol is one big factor, although by no means the only one. Attended an ordination ceremony at a temple in Ayuthaya province (why, why, oh why do I let myself get sucked into that!). Toh Jeen served promptly at 11AM, with bottles of Lao Kao and Whisky for each table. Not much progress on that front. Funny, didn't see any designated drivers.

It's Alcohol that needs controlling, not water. :o

It's both.

I was on a motorbike in Ko Samet 3 years ago, completely sober, and sure enough a huge bucket of water came right over me. If there had been a car coming the other way when I swerved onto the other side of the road, it wouldn't have been pleasant. Throwing water over people driving at speed is absolutely idiotic and shows a complete lack of thought whatsoever on the part of the people throwing the water, regardless of whether the drivers are sober or drunk.

People seem to miss that water tossing is inevitable ....

I KNOW how bad the roads are on Koh Samet ... usually go hang there one weekend every 2 months ... Add water to it and dangerous .... add THROWN water and riding a motorcycle is just a Darwin award waiting to happen.

(not to mention how many tourists don't even ride in their home country but think that doing it here is sane .... "it's only 125cc ... no clutch ... I can handle it")

oi! :o

So far we have blamed the drink and we have blamed the water. In the right hands neither of these things are a problem. It is when we add the Thai people to either of these things that the problems occur. The Thai people are completely stupid when it comes to safety, responsibility or common sense on the roads. It’s all ‘mai pen rai’ and a smile to them!

alcohol is def the problem here.

Anyone with a brain wouldnt ride a bike on this day because you will be blinded for a split second every time you get hit with water in the face.

If you got no other trainsport then take a taxi.

Have a bike and no car = get a taxi

Drink and drive = idiot

If you just get a taxi, you will have great songkran fun. And dont forget wet the people who dont wanna get wet :o

Stupid comment....again. :o

Well as the lady said to Forest Gump: Are you crazy, or just plain stupid?

My guess is stupid...

Can't fault that comment at all :D Two young girls on a bike is a great target, but a farang on a bike is an even better one. Walking is far safer!

So far we have blamed the drink and we have blamed the water. In the right hands neither of these things are a problem. It is when we add the Thai people to either of these things that the problems occur. The Thai people are completely stupid when it comes to safety, responsibility or common sense on the roads. It’s all ‘mai pen rai’ and a smile to them!

What a load of racist Crap!

Like Farangs never have a drink and are so sensible, don't even get me started about the ammount of drinking and driving that goes on all over the Western world and the Farangs on holiday in Thailand who can hardly walk and get astride powerful Motorcycles, and the expats that get pizzed out of their heads and jump in their 4WD's.

rich, open your blinkered eyes.

Yes we should only blame the Thai people. All of them are resposible for the death toll :o

People seem to miss that water tossing is inevitable ....

I KNOW how bad the roads are on Koh Samet ... usually go hang there one weekend every 2 months ... Add water to it and dangerous .... add THROWN water and riding a motorcycle is just a Darwin award waiting to happen.

You underestimate the persuasive power of a nagging Farang girlfriend. :o

Yes ... and each death is sad for the people that are around/affected by it ....

But overall ... besides being a really low number. It is WAY fewer than should be expected based upon the annual traffic fatality count factored against just the sheer NUMBERS of people on the road during Songkran not to mention the booze-up this is for the people here!