Google Translate - It's All Greek To Me !

MrWorldwide

Nothing new here - GT murders any attempt at translating Thai to English - but I'm wondering if perhaps the Thai fellow (?) who put this description together on the Pioneer Thailand site may have had more on his mind than passive crossovers and cabinet resonance ...

Pioneer. Leader in the design and innovation for more than 70 years, and the sound design by Andrew Jones, chief engineer of the speakers. Creative speakers are speakers that are superior in Hi-end solution to make love to the sound. While most listeners are willing to pay for the product under design by Andrew Price up to $ 80,000 dollars, but the SP-BS22-LR speakers are supplied by salons that do not close within reach.The SP-BS22-LR Pioneer has used a computer statistics Pigeon breasts in the design and use of high quality equipment for up to six components in the Cross Over Network, the result is high quality audio with an accuracy as high as. that would be possible.

Can't say that 'pigeon breasts' evoke any particular stirrings in my loins, but perhaps the prospect of Andrew Jones (or is it Andrew Price ? No, it's Jones - trust me ..) making love to the sound of Pioneer speakers was all it took for our intrepid copy writer to take an early mark from work. FWIW, I don't find GT any better with German or any of the other Latin languages either - it just seems to have a particularly comical way with Thai.

This is one area where machines need to get a whole lot smarter - I expect that even the cutting-edge AI guys would agree that it's not easy to write translation software, but GT has to be the bare minimum. Hopefully :D

Yes, leaps and bounds progress over the past thirty years, but still a long way to go, natural language especially English just has so many variables, especially given regional differences and constantly evolving slang.

I find I can muddle through using a Thai with half-decent English, coupled with GT and/or other online services a phrase at a time.

I am using Firefox with the ImTranslate: Google Translate plugin. It's spot on. Easy to read. I can also translate English to Thai for a Thai, and they can easily read it.

In fact, if a Thai tries to tell me something in written English and I "need other words," I just ask them to please write it in Thai, and I copy/paste it into the proggy and I'm good to go.

OK, Using ImTranslate as a plug-in to Firefox, here's what I get from the first paragraph of this article, translated all at once. Link

นายโภคิน พลกุล อดีตประธานรัฐสภา ในฐานะฝ่ายกฎหมายพรรคเพื่อไทย กล่าวว่า สำหรับกรณีที่กลุ่ม 40 ส.ว. จะยื่นศาลรัฐธรรมนูญตีความว่า
การแก้ไขมาตรา 68 ขัดรัฐธรรมนูญหรือล้มล้างคำวินิจฉัยของศาลหรือไม่ว่า ตนคิดว่าเรื่องนี้เป็นสิทธิของเขาที่จะยื่น แต่โดยหลักกฎหมายนั้น
การแก้ไขรัฐธรรมนูญที่จะมีผลต่อคำวินิจฉัยของศาลสามารถทำได้อยู่แล้ว เพราะไม่ใช่การเปลี่ยนแปลงการปกครอง
ถ้าไม่เช่นนั้นก็ต้องถือว่าคำวินิจฉัยของศาลเป็นกฎหมาย ซึ่งมันผิดหลักการ ไม่ถูกต้อง รัฐสภามีหน้าที่ในการออกกฎหมายและสามารถแก้ไขกฎหมายได้
ไม่ใช่เอาคำวินิจฉัยของศาลมาเป็นกฎหมาย ตนจึงไม่ห่วงในเรื่องนี้ แต่หากมีการรับตีความและมีผลออกมาบ้านเมืองคงวุ่นวายแน่นอน
การพิจารณาจะต้องยึดหลักให้ดี

The village chief, General Gul, the former president of Congress. As for Thailand, said the attorney for the group of 40 Senators to the Constitutional Court. Modified Section 68 unconstitutional or overturned the decision of the court or not. He thought it was his right to stand. But by the law. Constitutional amendment that would affect the decision of the court can do it. It is not a rule change. If not, then it must be the decision of a court of law. It is not the duty of the Congress to legislate and the law. Not only is the decision of the court of law. They do not worry about it. But if it's interpretations and the confusion that has resulted from the government. Considered to be a good principle.

Not as good with obscure technical topics like this, they're probably working on improving say the medical terminology before they get to "high end hi-fi" whistling.gif

Unlikely. The way Google Translate works is statistical. They compare texts which are available in two different languages and use a matching algorithm to determine which words and phrases correspond to each other. I believe they started their work with European Community documents for this, and subsequently broadened their scope to the web. This is very different from the traditional, rule-based approach for machine translation.

Improvements will come from (i) improvements in the matching algorithm, (ii) a larger corpus of bilingual texts available on the Internet for them to process. I don't believe that any improvements are going to be thematic. The poor results with obscure topics are simply because there aren't enough texts on these topics available on the Internet in both Thai and English to be analysed.

Edited by AyG

There may be some paid software solutions which perform better?

Not sure if I'm on the same page/product? http://pioneer-thailand.co.th/ go to speakers, model SP-BS22-LR

Other than the "pigeon breasts" things it seems OK for a free utility?

เครื่องเสียงบ้านคุณภาพ สูงที่ไม่แพงอย่างที่คิด เราขอพิสูจน์ข้อเท็จจริงในเรื่องนี้ด้วยการนำเสนอลำโพง Bookshelf รุ่น SP-BS22-LR ใหม่ล่าสุดจากไพโอเนียร์ที่ไม่ว่าคุณจะใช้งานเป็นลำโพงสองแชนแนล หรือมัลติแชนแนลในระบบโฮมเธียเตอร์ โดยลำโพงรุ่น SP-BS22-LR ที่ให้ช่วงความถี่ตอบสนองที่กว้าง และคุณภาพเสียงที่สุดยอดไม่ว่าจะเป็นการเลือกเล่นจากแหล่งสัญญาณใด ๆ
Audio quality. Inexpensive high as you think. We prove this fact by presenting speakers SP-BS22-LR Bookshelf latest version of Pioneer, whether you are using a two-channel speakers. Or multi-channel home theater system with speakers SP-BS22-LR with a wide frequency response. And superior audio quality, whether it is to play from any source.

กว่า 7 ทศวรรษแห่งจิตรวิญญาณ และ ความทุ่มเทใน
ไพโอเนียร์ ผู้นำในเรื่องของการออกแบบและการคิดค้นทางด้านเสียงมากว่า 70 ปี และด้วยการออกแบบของ Andrew Jones หัวหน้าวิศวกรเรื่องลำโพง สร้างสรรลำโพงที่จัดว่าเป็นลำโพงชั้นยอดในระดับ Hi-end ที่เปี่ยมไปด้วยความรักในการสรรสร้างเสียงอันแท้จริง ในขณะที่สุดยอดนักฟังทั้งหลายยินดีที่จ่ายเงินซื้อสินค้าภายใต้การออกแบบของ Andrew ด้วยราคาที่สูงถึง $80,000 เหรียญสหรัฐ แต่ลำโพง SP-BS22-LR ของเรา มีจำหน่ายด้วยสนนราคาที่ไม่ใกลเกินเอื้อม

แนวคิดนอกกรอบ
การออกแบบตู้กล่องลำโพงที่มีรูปแบบโค้งมนนี้ ไม่เพียงแต่ที่จะทำให้ลำโพงมีความงดงามเกินความพึงพอใจ แต่ยังรวมไปถึงเรื่องการรับฟัง การใช้งานที่เยี่ยมยอดและเสียงที่ไร้ที่ติ คือคำตอบที่คุณได้เป็นผลพวงที่มากับการออกแบบที่เพียบพร้อม รวมไปถึงการลดคลื่นเสียงตกค้างภายในตู้ลำโพง

ซึ่งการออกแบบนี้จัด ได้ว่าเป็นนิยามของความงามแห่งวิศวกรรม ที่ทั้งละมุนละม่อมทั้งรูปลักษณ์และการใช้งาน ดังเช่นฝาครอบลำโพงที่ออกแบบมาอย่างงดงามของ SP-BS22LR ที่ช่วยปกป้องลำโพงชั้นในได้เป็นอย่างดี
The Inside Story
โดย ทั่วไปในตลาดการแข่งขัน คู่แข่งของเราโดยมากมักจะเลือกใช้วัสดุที่ง่าย, ราคาถูก มาใช้ในการสร้าง
แต่ SP-BS22-LR ที่ไพโอเนียร์ได้ใช้ความพิถิพิถันในออกแบบ และ ใช้อุปกรณ์คุณภาพสูงที่มากถึง 6 ส่วนประกอบ ในการสร้าง Cross Over Network ผลที่ได้คือคุณภาพสูงเสียงที่มีความเที่ยงตรง แม่นยำ สูงสุดเท่าที่จะเป็นไปได้

วูฟเฟอร์ : ได้คัดสรรลำโพงมาใช้งานกับในการถ่ายทอดเสียงเบสที่สมจริง ลำโพงวูฟเฟอร์ขนาด 4นิ้ว ให้เสียงที่ได้ทรงพลัง และถูกต้องแม่นยำสูง
ทวิสเตอร์ : ด้วยการใช้ลำโพง Soft Dome tweeter,เสียงแหลม ขนาด 1" sweet spot และใช้วิศวกรรมในการออกแบบ wave guide ช่วยเพิ่มประสิทธิ์ภาพการทำงานของลำโพงเสียงแหลม
สามารถถ่ายทอดเสียงคุณภาพยอดเยี่ยมทั้งการเล่นเพลงที่ไม่มีใครเทียบ และประสบการณ์การใช้งานโฮมเธียเตอร์ที่สุดยอด
Over seven decades of portraying the spirit and dedication.
Pioneer leader in the design and fabrication of voice more than 70 years and with the design of the speaker engineer Andrew Jones, chief. Creative speakers are speakers that are superior in Hi-end solution to make love to the sound. While most listeners are willing to pay for the product under design by Andrew Price up to $ 80,000 dollars, but the SP-BS22-LR speakers are supplied by salons that do not close within reach.
Ideas outside the box.
The speaker cabinet design with a rounded this. Not only that, the speakers are beautiful beyond satisfaction. But also about listening. The sound is excellent and flawless. The answer is that you have a bunch coming up with the perfect design. To reduce the residual sound waves inside the speaker.
The design of this. That is the definition of beauty of engineering. Both the look and mildly active. As the speaker cover designed to protect the beauty of the SP-BS22LR class speakers as well.
The Inside Story.
Generally speaking, in the competitive market. Most of our competitors often use materials that are easy, cheap, used in the construction.
The SP-BS22-LR Pioneer has used a computer statistics Pigeon breasts in the design and use of high quality equipment for up to six components in the Cross Over Network, the result is high quality audio with an accuracy as high as. that would be possible.
Speaker: The speaker is selected in the bass sound reproduction. A 4-inch woofer for powerful sound. And high accuracy.
Peter Twist: Using Speaker Soft Dome tweeter, treble and 1 "sweet spot, and the engineering design wave guide improves the efficiency of the tweeter.
Sound quality is excellent and the music is unparalleled. And experience the ultimate home theater.

Unlikely. The way Google Translate works is statistical. They compare texts which are available in two different languages and use a matching algorithm to determine which words and phrases correspond to each other. I believe they started their work with European Community documents for this, and subsequently broadened their scope to the web. This is very different from the traditional, rule-based approach for machine translation.

Improvements will come from (i) improvements in the matching algorithm, (ii) a larger corpus of bilingual texts available on the Internet for them to process. I don't believe that any improvements are going to be thematic. The poor results with obscure topics are simply because there aren't enough texts on these topics available on the Internet in both Thai and English to be analysed.

-

Interesting, thanks.

Note also as more and more people worldwide become aware of GT, the crowdsourcing aspect ("suggest improvements") will most likely quickly become the main source of improvements, other than the underlying learning/AI technology.

Language is difficult no doubt.

A couple problems with Thai in particular are

1) Thais often don't speak Thai well - don't forget, many are not terribly educated here, so when the machine tries to translate, it's often hindered by 'incorrect' Thai

2) Thailand lacks many computer engineers who are interested in this technology -- you can't write the code engines without well-educated (in Thai) usually native speakers

3) Thai has a very 'flowery' history of making its communications purposefully obscure (same as ancient sanscrit) which Thais find pleasurable and beautiful about their language (for example, many alternative endings/spellings for words)

4) number 3 leads to an overuse of idiom in Thai which can only be translated by complete idiomatic reference and not word by word

5) an extremely complex, ancient Pali and Sanscrit written/reading rule base which is only followed about 50% of the time requiring not only complex language decision trees but also a very long list of exception handling built in

At any rate, when a text is written in 'proper' middle (Bangkok) Thai, without heavy use of idiom and other forms of regional expression, the translation engines tend to do OK, IMO

EDIT:

6) Thai is a very contextual language that does not lend itself well to objective writing as many things are often omitted and left for readers/listeners to interpret. English and other Germanic/Latin languages, by contrast, are the exact opposite. Very direct and 'wordy' with little usually left to interpretation unless purposefully done so for specific purpose. How does a language engine cope with such a phenomenon?

Edited by PaullyW

I'm not sure what it is, but theres a certain phrase that in google translate translates to tired, and in bing translate (which is built into facebook) ends up being "hardcore ass ****ing" lets just say it caused some confusion the first few times!

Not as good with obscure technical topics like this, they're probably working on improving say the medical terminology before they get to "high end hi-fi" whistling.gif

(ii) a larger corpus of bilingual texts available on the Internet for them to process...

So, if those bilingual texts have been translated with GT, then it goes round in circles? Or does it just get more and more ridiculous? ;)