From Non Immigration B To Retirement Extension

Hello,

I currently have a Non Immigration B visa. It expired on 27th March. I have a permission to stay stamp until 28th April.

I am 50 years old. I and have the baht 800,000 in a Thai bank account already seasoned. I live in Phuket.

Can I obtain an extension based on retirement directly from Phuket Immigration without any additional steps, such as having to leave the country for a new Immigration O visa?

What paperwork is required?

Are there any specific requirements for the Phuket Immigration office?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You should have no problems getting the extension of stay according to the written rules that only require a non immigrant visa entry of any type.

But at Phuket immigration who knows what their rules are. You will just have to go in with all required documents and try.

Standard documents would be copies of your passport photo page, visa, entry/permit to stamp and TM6 departure card. Proof of address. Bank letter confirming your deposit (day before app date) and copies of bank book. An up date of bank book on date of application may also be required.

Thanks ubonjoe.

With respect to proof of residence what docs are required - utility bills ok? Or I have address on Thai drivers licence.

How much is the fee for the extension?

Also does the re-entry permit cover the 1 year extension period or just the 90 day reporting period?

Regards

I'm in almost the same situation as the OP, but I'll be going to Bangkok to convert my extension of stay to retirement.

But my address is not on my Thai driver's license. (Yours is, really? Weird that mine isn't? Hmmm.) Utilities are not in my name. But I just received my car insurance bill in the mail. Will that work for proof of residence?

@happynthailand

Wow! You're not kidding - REALLY small print !!! Didn't know that was there. Thanks.

But I see it's still a problem for me because I don't live at that address now. Actually, I'm not sure I can read it all correctly (50-yr-old eyes don't read really small print like they used to), but I'm sure it's not my current address.

@lopburi3

Not married, so that won't work. Utilities are not in my name. But I get a hand-written receipt for the rent I pay each month. It has the address on it but not my name (just "house rental" in thai). I could probably get them to write my name on one or two of the receipts if you think that would work. What do you think?

Also, I don't know if it matters, but I don't live in Bangkok. I'm only going there because I've read here on the forum that the "podunk" immigration offices can't do the conversion.

In that case you need to use and have your correct address and advise immigration the reason you are using Bangkok for the conversion stage and make the actual extension at your home office. Bangkok is open to any Thailand address if for conversion and there local immigration do not provide. But interested in what office will not convert for Retirement? This is the first report I recall of that happening (but admit most not from 'podunk'). Did you actually try?

No, I didn't actually try. Apparently, I misunderstood. And I apologize for my "podunk" refence. I didn't intend to be offensive or inappropriate. I was actually trying to be witty. Fail noted.

I'm glad to hear that I can make the conversion at my local immigration office. I had clearly misunderstood about that. I'll make the trek over the mountain and get everything taken care of soon.

Thank you for your help, Lopburi3, and for saving me a trip to Bangkok.

Was not meaning it was offensive - just that it did not help get answers as you did not provide the actual location - normally they will all issue conversion for retirement but suspect if a small place that has never done it could be an issue. You might want to call first if a long trip over that mountain.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to let you know I had no problems with my retirement extension from my Non Immi B visa..

I didnt need any documentation proving my place of residence because I was using the baht 800,000 bank account method.

One small point. I assume the extension overides the previous "permit to stay" date stamp in my passport and on my departure card and that my next immigration task will be my first 90 day report ?

Thanks everyone for your assistance

As long as that was a 90 day visa entry your address report counts from the day you applied for the extension of stay. If you had been on an extension of stay from immigration a new extension would not have any effect and you would continue per current schedule on last TM.47 receipt.

Sorry I do not understand. Can you please clarify.I was on a Non Immi B visa and had to do visa runs every 90 days. I just obtained my retirement extension on 9th April which grants me an extension of stay permitted up until 28 April 2014. My stamp in passport and departure care from last visa run is 28 April... tomorrow. I had assumed that my retirement extension supersedes this.

Yes your new extension of stay is what you are permitted to remain in Thailand and overrides previous stamps - but you also asked about 90 day address reports and that will be due 90 days from application for extension, which for you was 9 April so that is day one of the 90 day period.

My previous post was to make sure this was your first extension as if you had one previously the 90 day address reporting would not be changed as it is a completely separate action. Many people will say from non immigrant B visa meaning from that type of extension of stay.

Thanks Lopburi3 for your clarification. Yes this is my first retirement extension, previously I was working with Work Permit and doing 90 day visa runs under a Non Immigration B visa. So nothing to do until I report 90 days after date the retirement extension was granted.

Thanks again your assistance is much appreciated.