Opinion Of "normal" People About Thaksin

h90

I would have done a poll but don't know how to do that for this topic.

What does your thai friends think about Thaksin?

I am surrounded from Southeners and they hate them and if someone in our office would say that "maybe" they would hang him on the next tree.

So what does your friends, maybe from Isaan or North think? did their ideas change, do they know whats going on?

Please write at the post where it comes from, and what education they have.....

for me:

3 people, nakhon si thammarat (one might be pattalung or surat, not sure).

opinion: hate

education: I don't really get what they have: "university?", accounting in a weekend school, some law school (whatever this is)

Typical Family?

Five sisters (including missus)

education: all bachelor degree holders

opinion: all want Thaksin to resign

Their Mom

education: elementary school

opinion: adores Thaksin

Their brother

education: college diploma

opinion: Thaksin who? Let's have another drink and I'll toast him, whoever he is.

Their brothers opinion makes sense :D

where do they come from (north, south, east, central)?

Typical Family?

Five sisters (including missus)

education: all bachelor degree holders

opinion: all want Thaksin to resign

Their Mom

education: elementary school

opinion: adores Thaksin

Their brother

education: college diploma

opinion: Thaksin who? Let's have another drink and I'll toast him, whoever he is.

two of my staff whom i work most closely with.

both female, age 28 and 30.

both post-graduate degree holders, chula and thammasat.

both thai-chinese.

their lecturers and their friends are mostly anti-thaksin.

their parents are neutral and forbid them to attend rallies.

both politely decline to express their political views to me.

both are acutely aware that their jobs are dependent on the investment climate, which will turn sour if thaksin leaves.

in short, they are people stuck in the middle, between what is right in their minds, and what is best for their themselves and their families.

they are 28 and 30 and the parents forbid to go to rallies.

Thats interesting, that parents can do that at this age.

thanks for the info.

two of my staff whom i work most closely with.

both female, age 28 and 30.

both post-graduate degree holders, chula and thammasat.

both thai-chinese.

their lecturers and their friends are mostly anti-thaksin.

their parents are neutral and forbid them to attend rallies.

both politely decline to express their political views to me.

both are acutely aware that their jobs are dependent on the investment climate, which will turn sour if thaksin leaves.

in short, they are people stuck in the middle, between what is right in their minds, and what is best for their themselves and their families.

family wise:

Fairly even split, without any real differentiation between occupation... between pro, anti, and indifferent, two middle class extended families, 20-30 core members each - not including kids, both Thai Chinese, 60-80 years in country each. Politics is not off limits at family functions, the discussion mood is along the lines of 'amused interest.' No one seems interested in attending either side's rallies, although there is more interest in actually voting this time around.

employee wise:

Just over a hundred or so folks in the 8,000-20,000 Baht a month income range, not including freelance labor, most of whom aren't Thai anyway. I only have constant contact with ours, not other family member's employees, not really clear cut, but I'd say slightly more leaning towards pro-Thaksin with that becoming less so as it goes up the hierarchy (most line workers seem more pro Thaksin, while further up the line, foremen, team leaders, etc. might be a bit more anti). The office staff seem to be leaning towards being anti Thaksin, or are at least more vocal about it, but again, not too clear cut.

After the opposition party suggestion of an election boycott and refusal to negotiate though, a lot of folks across all lines (pro, anti, and indifferent) are commenting how the opposition party is using "kot moo" instead of "kot mai" (using mob tactics instead of the law), and at least for the anti crowd, many wish there was a better opposition option.

:o

This morning, out of the blue, my maid came out with: "Thailand have war soon."

When I asked her what she meant, she went on to explain that her country is divided 50:50 over Thaksin. She further enlarged to say that is was only the people in the North-East who thought Thaksin was good because they did not understand what he did.

As the conversation advanced, it was interesting that whilst she had clearly started in the anti-Thaksin camp, I could not get her to actually say she was against him.

The more direct the questions I put to her, including asking her if she wanted Thaksin out, the more uncomfortable she became.

I concluded that it occurred to her that she was talking to a farang and it would therefore be wrong for her as a Thai to criticize her leader... :o

Both of my maids, one's a Karen and the other is Lao, not that it really matters as they won't be voting anyway... are at the very least thankful (not sure if that makes them pro Thaksin or not) that the TRT government has allowed registration of foreign/immigrant labor, which was never done before.

:o

Talked to 5 people about this, average age group from 30 to 55 in various income category.

Question: Would you like Thaksin to stay or go?

Answer: 5 out 5 says "GO!"

Question: Who do you think that could replace Thaksin and help the Thai economy?

Answer: 1 said maybe Abisit (spelling), 1 said someone from Thai Rak Thai but not Thaksin and 3 more said " ermm.. :o "

Hate to say this but looks like some people are living on a day to day basis rather than looking ahead as what they should be doing.

Explorer :D

Vast majority in my wife's family town in Isaan favour Thaksin, and practically all my wife's very large family! Reasoning, they have never been better off with loans, grants for housing, medical treatment, etc. Only recently my wife's grandmother was given 7,000 baht for home repairs. Also 2 additional teachers have now been appointed at the village school. It may be bribery, but it works :o

Just asked the wife (Isaan family). She reckons that if there was a credible alternative she would probably vote for them. However, there isn't. In her opinion Thaksin has done a lot of good for her community. Looks like he'll get the vote in her town (Sisaket).

are the able to pay back the loans? Isn't that a topic?

Heng: did not know that he has done some good things on that...

Vast majority in my wife's family town in Isaan favour Thaksin, and practically all my wife's very large family! Reasoning, they have never been better off with loans, grants for housing, medical treatment, etc. Only recently my wife's grandmother was given 7,000 baht for home repairs. Also 2 additional teachers have now been appointed at the village school. It may be bribery, but it works :o

I think sex tourists don't like him because he's shortening the closing hours of the nightlife venues.

It's amazing that the farangs here mostly supposedly seem to know Thai people who are anti-Thaksin. Everyone already agrees that he would win in a landslide, as he did last time. Every single Thai person I know is either pro-Thaksin or neutral. Some relatives are on the fence but can't think of a better alternative. They say Abhisit is less corrupt, but I ask how do you know, and they agree - all Thai politicians are at least a little corrupt.

Edited by gurkle

All 7 of the Thai staff in my office- Ages 24 to 50, Bangkok natives- say he's got to go.

The 24 year old girl had some great wisdom... "Kinda like relationships / boyfriends... when it's over, it's over."

25, 3rd year political science students, Khon Kaen.

ALL of them showing an immense hate of Taksin. Most of them said their farming mothers and fathers loved Taksin a year ago. Now they are about 50-50 for/against.

My wife 28, from Central Thailand wants Taksin to stay - reason being the extermination of drug addicts/supply, and the subsequent drop in crime.

It's amazing that the farangs here mostly supposedly seem to know Thai people who are anti-Thaksin.

I can't speak for all, but I don't assosiate with people who look like they can support Taksin. We just don't click. I know they are out there and I respect their choice, but it isn't an attempt at a fail poll, is it?

All of these Thais the farangs claim are anti-Thaksin are really NEUTRAL.

If you had an election with Thaksin against anyone else, these people would not vote against Thaksin and for the other candidate. Instead, they would simply NOT VOTE AT ALL.

A classic example is Bush versus Kerry. Regardless of all the people and polls and protests that said they hated Bush, when it came to election time, these people ultimately did not even bother to vote at all because they didn't like Kerry and his HATE-MONGERING campaign (like the opposition is doing) either. Hence, Bush won.

Hence Thaksin would still win any election. He's not perfect, but he's the BEST CANDIDATE OUT THERE. And DEMOCRACY BEATS ANARCHY (when mobs attempt an overthrow everytime they don't like an elected candidate).

Wife and one friend from countryside, both have low educations and worked as textile workers before working as bargirls say go. Our Security guard was pro Thaksin until my wife sat her down for an hour or so of ASTV now she is anti-Thaksin. The security guard from Pitsanulok at my office is anti-Thaksin. My wife spoke with other guards at other buildings next to mine. One female from ChiangRai is very anti-Thaksin. She warned that my wife should be careful of the security guards at the gate to our complex as they are pro Thaksin.

My wife's brother from Surin is anti-Thaksin.

My wife's sister up country in Surin is pro-Thaksin. I would guess my brother-in-law there is too.

I plan on letting my relatives and the village upcountry see the VCDs from ASTV of the protests at Sanam Luang. I went to the protest there last Sunday. There were lots of families with kids there. It was very innocent. The only radical elements are the old Anti-Thaksin student/economic groups. Most of the people who are protesting are doing it for the first time. If you go you will see that the protesters are just everyday people.

Discussed this with Gf and her family:

GF - anti-thaskin (college educated) - generally knows he's self serving rather than helpful.

Her mum - loves Thaskin and don't say a word against him or a smacking is in order.

Grandfather - Pro Thaksin

Brother - indifferent too concerned with Thai whiskey. :o

Younger Sister - Pro Thaskin

Older Sister- Pro Thaskin

Reason from what I gather is that Thaksin has done heaps for small villages and farmers. He's good man and he knows how to make heaps of dosh. I think for some reason they think this will somehow benefit them eventually. Families seem to act as a unit, or so it seems.

GF is uni educated, so I think this is where the diifference lies. She dare not speak negative about Thaksin when her family is around.

Not trying to be sarcastic like but.....what exactly is the OP trying to ask by 'normal people'?

Anyway, according to an ABAC Poll last week, the majority of Thai people were against PM Thaksin resigning - something like 47% vs 28%.

Besides the obvious question of "Who would would take over instead of Thaksin?"

My question is this:

"Should Thaksin resign, what effects would this bring upon the future of democracy in Thailand?"

Let us bear in mind when trying to answer this and the OP, that PM Thaksin was democratically (by Thai standards anyway) elected with the solid support of the country's poor.

'The election victory was partly due to 3 promises made to the electorate. These were (1) a promise to introduce a low cost heath care scheme for all citizens, (2) a promise to provide a 1 million baht loan to each village in order to stimulate economic activity and (3) a promise to introduce a debt moratorium for poor peasants' (Ungpakorn, Chulalongkorn / SOAS 2001)

Edited by stevesuphan

abac poll

Published on Mar 7, 2006

Proportion of Bangkok voters seeking premier's resignation rises to 48% A growing number of Bangkok voters want caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to quit in a bid to end the political turmoil, Abac Poll reported yesterday.

From a sample of 2,175, the demand for Thaksin's resignation jumped from 39.1 per cent last Wednesday to 48.2 per cent

yesterday.

The move against Thaksin corresponded with support for royal intervention to appoint a prime minister, with about 46.1 per cent favouring a royally appointed government.

- The Nation.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/pag...d=5&id=20002141

with normal people I mean normal people, not these in TV, just the college in the job, the neighbour, the Mr. John Smith from Thailand.

My wife is from the South and if anyone would say something pro Thaksin she would kill him/her and when I say kill I mean kill. So what I get is very much filtered.

Not trying to be sarcastic like but.....what exactly is the OP trying to ask by 'normal people'?

Anyway, according to an ABAC Poll last week, the majority of Thai people were against PM Thaksin resigning - something like 47% vs 28%.

Besides the obvious question of "Who would would take over instead of Thaksin?"

My question is this:

"Should Thaksin resign, what effects would this bring upon the future of democracy in Thailand?"

Let us bear in mind when trying to answer this and the OP, that PM Thaksin was democratically (by Thai standards anyway) elected with the solid support of the country's poor.

'The election victory was partly due to 3 promises made to the electorate. These were (1) a promise to introduce a low cost heath care scheme for all citizens, (2) a promise to provide a 1 million baht loan to each village in order to stimulate economic activity and (3) a promise to introduce a debt moratorium for poor peasants' (Ungpakorn, Chulalongkorn / SOAS 2001)

In today's Nation someone wrote:

A number of well educated, intelligent and mature individuals from many walks of life recently signed and presented a petition to His Majesty the King.

They are the elite. The real elite, not the bunch of ageing kunyings with massive hairdos clutching LV bags.

Also "elite special forces" seems positive.