Choosing A Place In Philippines

Davao City is a city of 1.5 million. Out in the provinces yes, but a big city.

You know that Davao is in the Muslim South though,right?

No, it is not. Davao is on the east coast of Mindinao and the muslim problems are in the south, in and around Zamboanga. There have been some religious attacks in Davao in the past, but the mayor took care of it. He formed death squads to seek out and kill anyone involved in the attacks. Sent a message that stuck. Davao is the safest city in the Phils. Non-smokers would love it too as the mayor has banned smoking in ALL public areas. I have been to Davao before but it's been a few years. I'm going back in a few weeks for a visit to scout it out again.

Edited by Loptr
  • Like 1

I found just the opposite. Philippines was full of guys who were all played out. Alcoholic ex servicemen, Crazy/skint Ozzies, Englishmen on the run from Thai cops and debts in Thailand. Assorted creepers. The foreigners that run the clubs will even sell you out to the cops.

That descriptions fits a good number of expats in Thailand too. What, didn't you notice?

It fits 80% or more of expats in Thailand,20% or less of expats in Philippines!

Edited by Eesat
  • Like 1

Davao City is a city of 1.5 million. Out in the provinces yes, but a big city.

You know that Davao is in the Muslim South though,right?

No, it is not. Davao is on the east coast of Mindinao and the muslim problems are in the south, in and around Zamboanga. There have been some religious attacks in Davao in the past, but the mayor took care of it. He formed death squads to seek out and kill anyone involved in the attacks. Sent a message that stuck. Davao is the safest city in the Phils. Non-smokers would love it too as the mayor has banned smoking in ALL public areas. I have been to Davao before but it's been a few years. I'm going back in a few weeks for a visit to scout it out again.

I am getting the same info. Davao City the safest PI city. Surprising though.

Something else to consider on the coastal places.

Both Davao City and Cebu City have chronic flooding problems, apparently getting worse, and climate change is implicated.

They could be adapted to lessen the flooding, but that would take competent government. 'Nuff said.

www.sunstar.com.ph/davao/local-news/2011/04/10/city-needs-p60-b-solve-flood-problem-149737

• Like 1

Eesat, it's pretty clear that the only thing you loathe more than Thailand is the 'average' Thai expat - why the hell did you join a board dedicated to Thailand and people who want to live there ? It makes no sense.

Not really true,I like Thailand,the culture and the food and feel very much at home here but then again I love South-East Asia!

Also,it's not the ex-pats I hate it's a certain type of tourist,I think you know which sort and why wouldn't I,they make everyone look bad and nobody really wants them here?

I also loathe bullies and BS merchants and am the sort of person who will ALWAYS call them out,be it on here or in real life!Genuine people I have absolutely no problem with but I think you'll agree with me that in Thailand these people seem few and far between unfortunately!sad.png

• Like 1

Something else to consider on the coastal places.

Both Davao City and Cebu City have chronic flooding problems, apparently getting worse, and climate change is implicated.

They could be adapted to lessen the flooding, but that would take competent government. 'Nuff said.

www.sunstar.com.ph/davao/local-news/2011/04/10/city-needs-p60-b-solve-flood-problem-149737

There was two earthquakes in Cebu last year when I lived there,not a good feeling sitting watching tv on the 9th floor of my apartment.I liked Cebu though it was nice there.