Choosing A Place In Philippines

Looking for a pointer of choosing a city in Philippines to stay for a while. It should be:

- not small (not less than 150k people, like Chiang Mai)

- cheap

- it will be nice if there are many young people (especially and exceptionally women, of course smile.png ) . Or universities, which is the same.

- good infrastructure, ability to find a cheap (~~$200-250 per month) apartment.

Basically, that's it! Dumagete, Baguio, something else?

Edited by Bezpoleznyak

I lived in Baguio for 4 years and it was one of the best places I've ever lived, but it has become quite over crowded and touristic. That can be overcome by living on the outskirts of Bgo, preferably on the west facing slope where the views are fantastic. hotels are expensive, but long term rentals are quite cheap if you look around.

• 4 weeks later...

Why are you asking here? You have Google and your own two feet!

You can plan on everything in thr Phils to be 25-50% more expensive than Thailand.

Rooms are doubled priced as well. Rooms will be 50% over local price which you can pay with resident papers or catd or whatever.

Worst value, worst country.

• Like 1

You can plan on everything in thr Phils to be 25-50% more expensive than Thailand.

Rooms are doubled priced as well. Rooms will be 50% over local price which you can pay with resident papers or catd or whatever.

Wrong about the price level.

That various upon where and what you want to do.

I can say that once you're settled in a rental that food costs in Baguio can be as cheap or cheaper than LOS if you do your own cooking. Electricity may be a little more, but consumables are cheap. Depends on your lifestyle.

• 2 weeks later...

Wrong about the price level.

That various upon where and what you want to do.

My local bar in Talamban,Cebu used to charge 30 pesos for a beer,just over 20 baht and the Thai restaurant Krua Thai in Banilad sold Singha beer for 60-70 pesos,cheaper than in Thailand!w00t.gif

Jesus, BB - just tell us what you really think, but from the looks of that last post it would appear that you were quite drunk when you typed that little gem. Lecturing others on the evils of alcoholism whilst pasted strikes me as more than a little hypocritical, no ? Your command of the English language - not to mention your keyboard - seems a whole lot better in most of your other posts ..... ;)

Liquor is the only thing that is cheat in that cesspool of a nation.

Heaven for beer drinking alcoholic expats.

Keps the locals numb and politically passive.

And it is easily 25% more for "everything". Everything is imported.

Again, these threads need to stop. The people that usually posit the questions are not even adventerous enough to go have a look, let alone rough enough to live in a nation of sadness, desparation and squalor completely designed by a low brow elite.

I actually like the Philippines and find the Filipinos very friendly people,although the women are super high maintenance compared to just about anywhere else in the world!w00t.gif

Food is definitely cheaper at most restaurants than Thailand,accomodation and electricity is more expensive and they have those horrible block unit air-cons that stick out of a big hole in the wall of the house,what's wrong with split-screen like the rest of South-East Asia?

The expats in The Philippines are 100% better than most of the expats in Thailand who are mostly sponging loners and losers I'm afraid,I met some fantastic Latino/a buddies over there that I'm still in touch with to this day.The expats have real jobs for real and multinational corporations,they are not limited by Thailand's keep-the-farang-poor ridiculous employment laws!

I would go back there tomorrow,no problem and probably will soon!thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Again, these threads need to stop. The people that usually posit the questions are not even adventerous enough to go have a look, let alone rough enough to live in a nation of sadness, desparation and squalor completely designed by a low brow elite.

I actually like the Philippines and find the Filipinos very friendly people,although the women are super high maintenance compared to just about anywhere else in the world!:w00t:

Food is definitely cheaper at most restaurants than Thailand,accomodation and electricity is more expensive and they have those horrible block unit air-cons that stick out of a big hole in the wall of the house,what's wrong with split-screen like the rest of South-East Asia?

The expats in The Philippines are 100% better than most of the expats in Thailand who are mostly sponging loners and losers I'm afraid,I met some fantastic Latino/a buddies over there that I'm still in touch with to this day.The expats have real jobs for real and multinational corporations,they are not limited by Thailand's keep-the-farang-poor ridiculous employment laws!

I would go back there tomorrow,no problem and probably will soon!:thumbsup:

More power to you...but most people don't fancy living in a country sized Lagos, Nigeria.

I actually like the Philippines and find the Filipinos very friendly people,although the women are super high maintenance compared to just about anywhere else in the world!w00t.gif

More power to you...but most people don't fancy living in a country sized Lagos, Nigeria.

I'll take it you mean a country "like" Lagos,Nigeria?

Quite laughable really from anyone with "Pattaya" in their username!cheesy.gif

Roundly known and accepted as one of the most polluted,filthy,corrupt and downright dangerous places in all of South-East Asia.With expats regularly taking swan-dives off high balconies and strangling themselves to death with their own belts in amazing acts of "suicide"!whistling.gif

I can tell you that I lived for one year in Cebu and made regular trips to Manila with a friend who was a DJ,partying all night all over Manila literally until the sun came up and I never,ever once had any problem with any Filipino/a during all that time!After all that I'd heard I must admit I was quite surprised but I can categorically state that it is a safer place than many parts of Thailand,despite banks and 7/11's having security guards with shotguns outside them!w00t.gif

And as for the beaches in The Philippines,just forget everything you've seen in Thailand as there are thousands of beaches in The Philippines that beat any Thai beach hands down!Completely empty and not full of touts,vendors,soi dogs and husslers like every beach in Thailand is!

• Like 1

I found just the opposite. Philippines was full of guys who were all played out. Alcoholic ex servicemen, Crazy/skint Ozzies, Englishmen on the run from Thai cops and debts in Thailand. Assorted creepers. The foreigners that run the clubs will even sell you out to the cops.

Philippines has a few great beaches. Thailand has many. Sorry, you just don't know shit about Thailand or beaches. Does Lonely Planet have a book called Philippines Islands and beaches? No. Despite the nation being a cluster of islands and nothing but beaches.

Many years ago wide eyed me remarked to a couple of Swiss medical doctors what lovely people they were blah blah...they told me to.swing by the hospital after 9pm for a horrorshow. Said they dealt with more trauma re gunshot, knives...then all other patient intakes combined.

The place is run like a penal colony.

Philippines had fewer tourists than Cambodia for many years running - Cambodia! Of the tourists they did have take out the divers and sex tourists, the family reunions snd I bet that number is about ZERO.

You cannot call what Philippino's eat food, it is not fit for humans. Most if not all the meat are discards or offal. The vegetables (which Philippinos hate) are old and soft.

Philippines despite its rain has not been able to grow enough rice to feed itself for years.

A nation, I think even Bangladesh feeds itself.

If it's so great - why are you here?

Edited by bangkokburning
  • Like 1

Roundly known and accepted as one of the most polluted,filthy,corrupt and downright dangerous places in all of South-East Asia.With expats regularly taking swan-dives off high balconies and strangling themselves to death with their own belts in amazing acts of "suicide"!whistling.gif

I can tell you that I lived for one year in Cebu and made regular trips to Manila with a friend who was a DJ,partying all night all over Manila literally until the sun came up and I never,ever once had any problem with any Filipino/a during all that time!After all that I'd heard I must admit I was quite surprised but I can categorically state that it is a safer place than many parts of Thailand,despite banks and 7/11's having security guards with shotguns outside them!w00t.gif

And as for the beaches in The Philippines,just forget everything you've seen in Thailand as there are thousands of beaches in The Philippines that beat any Thai beach hands down!Completely empty and not full of touts,vendors,soi dogs and husslers like every beach in Thailand is!

What a joke...how anyone could post such hogwash with a straight face is beyond belief...why not just say you like banging desperate Filipinas and can't make it with the more sophisticated Thai girls and leave it at that!

Edited by OMGImInPattaya
  • Like 1

What a joke...how anyone could post such hogwash with a straight face is beyond belief...why not just say you like banging desperate Filipinas and can't make it with the more sophisticated Thai girls and leave it at that!

Sophisticated girls in Pattaya!

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

I found just the opposite. Philippines was full of guys who were all played out. Alcoholic ex servicemen, Crazy/skint Ozzies, Englishmen on the run from Thai cops and debts in Thailand. Assorted creepers. The foreigners that run the clubs will even sell you out to the cops.

Philippines has a few great beaches. Thailand has many. Sorry, you just don't know shit about Thailand or beaches. Does Lonely Planet have a book called Philippines Islands and beaches? No. Despite the nation being a cluster of islands and nothing but beaches.

Many years ago wide eyed me remarked to a couple of Swiss medical doctors what lovely people they were blah blah...they told me to.swing by the hospital after 9pm for a horrorshow. Said they dealt with more trauma re gunshot, knives...then all other patient intakes combined.

The place is run like a penal colony.

Philippines had fewer tourists than Cambodia for many years running - Cambodia! Of the tourists they did have take out the divers and sex tourists, the family reunions snd I bet that number is about ZERO.

You cannot call what Philippino's eat food, it is not fit for humans. Most if not all the meat are discards or offal. The vegetables (which Philippinos hate) are old and soft.

Philippines despite its rain has not been able to grow enough rice to feed itself for years.

A nation, I think even Bangladesh feeds itself.

If it's so great - why are you here?

I really don't think that "You know shit" about anything by the sound of things!All the successful businessmen I met in The Philippines were having a great time,a shame you had to decamp back to loser central Thailand but there you go!

I do just fine here as well here,I'm not bitter and twisted like you are,try not to let it eat you up!rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Ive lived in Cebu and Manila most things are more expensive there electricity is nearly double.I also traveled around many islands while living there and there are some great beaches i now live here with my wife (Filipina) there more to do clothes food and general cost of living is less expensive we like it here but often make trips back to see family .

• 2 weeks later...

Any first hand reports about living in Davao City?

I've been to Cebu City and I liked it OK but I'm still looking for better.

Davao City sounds promising on paper at least.

What about being American on Mindanao? I'm assuming living in Davao City that wouldn't be a big issue, but I don't know.

The Philippines appeals to me because of their retirement program and English speaking locals. I don't even totally hate the food and in my experience if you try real hard, it is possible to get acceptable food there. If I do move from Thailand and not to the U.S. (which is possible) it's got to be to a place with a more LONG TERM retirement program. I don't like the year by year thing here.

On Davao City, I'm basically asking if it's even worth a trip there to check it out for potentially moving there or is there stuff about it that makes it a forget about it?

Oh, what's the situation for HEALTH CARE there?

Access to health insurance, access to decent and decent cost health care if not insured?

That's another reason Thailand is starting to not work for me.

Edited by Jingthing

I've found some good sources about the health care access/cost/insurance/government insurance/quality situation in the Philippines and I think it's better to back off from suggesting this is a good place to discuss that. Probably best to stick with best places to live there in general.

Health care: google bluecross ph, private insurance company 800-1200 $ yearly premium.

No insurance equals no care, or cheap and simple hospitals. Can be found for less serious treatments .

Dental work much cheaper than in los, implants 2/3 of the price in los.

SRRV Retirement options:

35 - 49 years = 50,000 $ Deposit.

50+ years without pension = 20,000 $ Deposit.

50+ years with pension = 10,000 $ Deposit. Pension 800 $ or more.

Application fee 1400 $ and 360 $ yearly after that.

Many PI forums to get all the newest information and updates.

I'm returning this autumn, still consider Davao, Boracay, Cebu, Dumaguete.

I'm assuming private insurance has preexisting conditions exclusions like most anywhere (except soon Obama-merica).

A site I saw said the decent quality care is ONLY in Manila and Cebu City. Not too surprising but I would have thought maybe a city like Davao as well.

I've ruled out Dumaguete. Too small town for me.

Boracay I can't imagine would be practical.

Puerto Galera, that sounds maybe interesting.

I'm assuming private insurance has preexisting conditions exclusions like most anywhere (except soon Obama-merica).

A site I saw said the decent quality care is ONLY in Manila and Cebu City. Not too surprising but I would have thought maybe a city like Davao as well.

I've ruled out Dumaguete. Too small town for me.

Boracay I can't imagine would be practical.

Puerto Galera, that sounds maybe interesting.

Take it from me,if you're not in Cebu or Manila you are WAY out in the sticks,not good!Live in one of these and travel to anywhere else is the best plan.