Us Masters

phutoie2

Just seen on Thai channel 7 that they showing live coverage of the 1st Major starting at 0300 hrs! over the 4 days. Probably I will get up and watch the last hour for the first couple of days and the action is usually down the last nine on Sunday, so will be up for that.

So who are your favourites?. Justin Rose, the Poults are top of mine!. I imagine Eldrick is many others!

Mods - can you change the small s to a big one in the topic title, not wish to upset the grammar police or indeed Americans.

Edited by phutoie2

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have TrueVisions the telecast should be on 108 and 136, all Gold or Platinum packages.

Golf Channel will not carry it as they have no broadcast rights to this tournament.

Whoever is making his putts will win the Masters and that could be any of the 90 or so entrants. I like Tiger if he is putting but also like Keegan Bradley and Dustin Johnson.

Rose misses too many short putts as does Rory (right now) but I don't count out Padraig Harrington if his putter gets hot.

It's all a shot in the dark at best.

I say Bill Haas or Henrik Stenson (and before you ask me "how on earth did you come up with the name Henrik Stenson as a winner at Augusta", I'd like to point out that the man is leading nearly every statistic there is at the moment...).

• Like 1

This one is the big test to see if Tiger's really back or not, even though he is already ranked number 1 in the world now. He does seem to have finally gotten his old groove back. We'll see, should be interesting. Just read the ranking of the 5 best Masters, and Tiger won in two of them, of course 2nd to Jack.

• Like 1

I tried the Thai coverage for the final day last year. The coverage stopped at 6am for normal Thai programmes while the final pair at Augusta were on the 17th hole. I was well cheesed off as I had no 'net coverage then or alternative tv channel to turn to. Be warned!

Tiger still on major record pace, says Golden Bear

AUGUSTA, Georgia (Reuters) - Jack Nicklaus was startled to learn that Tiger Woods has not won a major in nearly five years but the golfing great is convinced his younger fellow American will go on to eclipse his record total of 18 wins. I've said, and I continue to say it, that I still expect him to break my record," added Nicklaus who has long been known as the 'Golden Bear.' "I think he's just too talented, too driven and too focused on that.

"From this point, he's got to win five majors, which is a pretty good career for most people to start at age 37. But I still think he's going to do it."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tiger-still-major-record-pace-says-golden-bear-001050685--golf.html

For the last 5 years, we all had our doubts for sure, but if the Golden Bear says it...it must be true?

My lazy $20 on the golf has been split this way care of sports bet in Aust. Last of the big spenders indeed, but adds a bit of interest. They are paying the top 6 as each way, 1/4 odds for a placing.

$6 on Tiger straight out = $5.50 to 1

$6 on Schwartzel each way = $26 to 1

$4 each way on

Jason Day $56 to 1

$2 each way on

Frederick Jacobson $101 to 1

and

Gonzalo Fernandez-Constanzo $226 - 1

Fingers Crossed!

Extra free OTA coverage may be due to local Thaworn Wiratchant's participation? Not sure why he waited until the last minute to travel?

http://www.masters.com/en_US/news/articles/2013-04-09/201304091365511687375.html

In addition to giving the Masters the youngest player in its history this year, Asia is also providing the Tournament with a well-seasoned rookie, 46-year-old Thaworn Wiratchant.
A native of Bangkok, Thailand, Wiratchant is well known in that part of the world for his golfing prowess, having won a total of 15 tournaments on the Asian Tour over the years, more than anyone else in the circuit’s history.
He had a particularly good campaign in 2012, taking three events, finishing second in four others and winning Player of the Year honors, as well as the Order of Merit. It was the second time in his career that Wiratchant finished atop the money list, and it was a big reason why Masters Tournament officials made the man an International Invitee for this year’s competition.
Wiratchant chuckles as he recalls receiving his Masters invite.
“One of the Tournament officials called me at home in January,” he said. “I was so surprised that I did not know what to say. So, I just said thanks.”

I tried the Thai coverage for the final day last year. The coverage stopped at 6am for normal Thai programmes while the final pair at Augusta were on the 17th hole. I was well cheesed off as I had no 'net coverage then or alternative tv channel to turn to. Be warned!

Yes I recall this as well...

Complete coverage of the first and 2nd round.....then I could not find it again...Grrrrr very frustrating...laugh.png

Is it true that Thaworn at 46 is the oldest player in this years Masters?

That would make each and every player younger than me.

Now that makes me feel old!

Stricker is mid 40's. Don't forget the past winners that front up - Cabrera and than I think Crenshaw, Watson will still be teeing off. Golf is such a great game, such a range in ages, 14 year old and 60ish olds playing in the same field.

Favorites: Phil, Tiger < scratch Phil: he tied for first on the Par 3 Contest so he can't win a fourth Green Jacket - no winner of the par 3 event has gone on to win the tournament!> wink.png

You can put Phil back on the radar, Phil didn't tie for first in the Par 3, he tied for second.

Favorites: Phil, Tiger < scratch Phil: he tied for first on the Par 3 Contest so he can't win a fourth Green Jacket - no winner of the par 3 event has gone on to win the tournament!>

You can put Phil back on the radar, Phil didn't tie for first in the Par 3, he tied for second.

Yes, I only looked at the results in regulation: several tied at -4, and didn't realize they played a sudden death, Phil was eliminated on the first 'playoff' hole so the 'curse' is lifted. Rory's caddie, for the Par 3 event looked fetching, but she duffed her shot into the water.

Favorites: Phil, Tiger < scratch Phil: he tied for first on the Par 3 Contest so he can't win a fourth Green Jacket - no winner of the par 3 event has gone on to win the tournament!>

Yes, I only looked at the results in regulation: several tied at -4, and didn't realize they played a sudden death, Phil was eliminated on the first 'playoff' hole so the 'curse' is lifted. Rory's caddie, for the Par 3 event looked fetching, but she duffed her shot into the water.

Phil didn't lift the curse. The curse is that no winner of the par 3 contest has won the Masters the same year.

Perhaps poor wording on my part? What I meant was that Phil is now back on my favorite list as he is now 'eligible' to win a 4th Masters (can't say fourth Green Jacket as repeat winners do not get multiple sport coats, they don their first and only one, which can be re-tailored as required. ;) )

I think it's safe to say the curse wil remain intact as Ted Potter Jr. seems unlikely to win the tournament.

heard about a great bit of reported retort from Lee Westwood on the radio today back in the U.K.

Monty has been having a bit of a pop and snipe at poor Lee for not having one a major yet and saying time is running out.

when ask about what the difference was between Monty and himself at similar stages in their careers.

Lee replied " about 8 stone " cheesy.gif

• Like 2

heard about a great bit of reported retort from Lee Westwood on the radio today back in the U.K.

Monty has been having a bit of a pop and snipe at poor Lee for not having one a major yet and saying time is running out.

when ask about what the difference was between Monty and himself at similar stages in their careers.

Lee replied " about 8 stone " cheesy.gif

Good response from Lee...but I haven't seen Monty's name on any of the major trophies yet either.