Us Masters

phutoie2

Ug, sad.png

After watching online, i'm pooped.

This is going to be a LONG day, followed up by watching it again tonight! biggrin.png

Lets see if the kid from china makes the cut. So far so good.

but the pressure cooker is only going to get hotter.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being laid up with a back injury at the moment, the Masters being on is my saving grace!

So after watching all of the first round coverage I placed a few bets ($10 AUS/each)

Phil Mickelson(-1) = 15/1, just loves playing this golf course and can never count him out at Augusta.

Lee Westwood(-2) = 26/1, well overdue to win a major and maybe his time is now.

Jason Day(-2) = 34/1, came tied for 2nd two years ago and coming into some form of late - also an Aussie smile.png

Keeps it interesting if nothing else.

Sergio tied for the lead. Who would have thought? His clothes matching Dustin and Jason was interesting. Guess TMAD wanted to get noticed.

I'm cheering for the Chinese kid...at least to make the cut and shoot low am.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Tianlang Guan shoots 73. And no spitting. No swearing. No throwing clubs. No cussing at photographers. 14 years old.

You dont have to lift trophies to act like a Champion!

Who spits and swears etc?

I think he might be referring to Tiger's outbursts last year as he was frustrated trying to return to form.

Tianlang Guan shoots 73. And no spitting. No swearing. No throwing clubs. No cussing at photographers. 14 years old.You dont have to lift trophies to act like a Champion!

Oh, you'd be amazed as to how many of the professionals behave like spoiled children. It's almost a disease that follows in the footprint of fame and success. Many players are exemplary in the way they conduct themselves both on and off the course, it's the ones that transforms into embarrassing brats I cant stand.

In view of this, it's nice to see someone who clearly has decided to leave that aspect of the game outside his repertoire, even though he probably has a couple of idols amongst the players in this weeks field.

Hopefully, he'll continue to behave like Phil, Luke, Stricker, Rocco and Tom Watson, and skip whatever behavioral influences rays from Tiger, Sergio and the other brats.

My $0.02...

Tianlang Guan shoots 73. And no spitting. No swearing. No throwing clubs. No cussing at photographers. 14 years old.You dont have to lift trophies to act like a Champion!

I think he might be referring to Tiger's outbursts last year as he was frustrated trying to return to form.

Tiger is probably the worst behaving player I've seen. He's been screaming, cussing, spitting and throwing clubs for 15 years...

Tiger is probably the worst behaving player I've seen. He's been screaming, cussing, spitting and throwing clubs for 15 years...

I think all of us who have spent a lifetime playing the game realize it is the most frustrating and most rewarding of sports at the same time. I don't think apart from the last year or even 4, that Tiger was exceptionally misbehaved.

*keeping in mind he's already the 2nd best player in history, and some argue even the best. And, he's just 37.

Edited by keemapoot

Well I suppose just like Alex Higgins made snooker very interesting, maybe some badly behaved golfers have the same affect on golf!! Personally I don't like badly behaved people but I am guessing there will be many that do!

I seem to recall Sergio Garcia spitting into a cup during a tournament. Another time he tried to beat a bunker to death with his wedge.

Keegan Bradley regularly spits during a round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_e2m9e9DaM

Cursing and bad language have been on a golf course since the 15th century. Why, I would bet even you have uttered a profanity at least once on the course.

Throwing clubs??? Think Tommy Bolt.

[Why, I would bet even you have uttered a profanity at least once on the course. Throwing clubs??? Think Tommy Bolt.

That's true, I remember clearly that I whispered "bummer" to my self once when I snap-hooked a 3-iron to oblivion. It was in June 2005 on Blue Heron Pines. Truly embarrassing.
  • Like 1

Tianlang Guan shoots 73. And no spitting. No swearing. No throwing clubs. No cussing at photographers. 14 years old.You dont have to lift trophies to act like a Champion!Who spits and swears etc? I think he might be referring to Tiger's outbursts last year as he was frustrated trying to return to form.

I find Tiger's spitting to be incredibly foul, like during the Ryder cup when they were showing a close up of him and he spits on the green. Classy...NOT!

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I guess the big news today is that wonderboy Guan made the cut, but near the bottom. He was penalized for slow play, which I thought was a bit harsh on the kid. Bubba Watson, almost didn't make the cut. Freddie Couples did great at 2nd, 5 under for an "old guy." 40 years in age separate these two who both made the cut. thumbsup.gif

Another great day at the Masters . . . How good it was to see that TOSSER Poulter miss the cut... Looks like being a tight finish with the winner coming from those that can put their approach near the pin and hold the one putt . . .

I guess the big news today is that wonderboy Guan made the cut, but near the bottom. He was penalized for slow play, which I thought was a bit harsh on the kid. Bubba Watson, almost didn't make the cut. Freddie Couples did great at 2nd, 5 under for an "old guy." 40 years in age separate these two who both made the cut. thumbsup.gif

Speaking about tosser... I for one am not a big fan of John Paramor. If anything, I think he's a borderline cheat favouring his friends. Valderrama 2002 comes to mind...

Yesterday, he allowed Charl Schwartzel to delay play for more than 20 (TWENTY!) minutes before deciding what to do when he hit his ball into the trees on the first. TWENTY minutes. And then fat boy Paramor wheels off in his buggy to penalise Guan for slow play...

If someone ever deserved to get a 3-iron showed up his fat arse, John Paramor is certainly one of the strongest candidates

That hasn't answered my question?

If you are guilty of slow play does it matter who or how old you are? If someone hits there ball in to the trees is it not in the interest of the player to ensure he makes the right decision in what shot to play!! there must be a time limit applied to this type of situation!!

Edited by dogpoo

That hasn't answered my question?

If you are guilty of slow play does it matter who or how old you are? If someone hits there ball in to the trees is it not in the interest of the player to ensure he makes the right decision in what shot to play!! there must be a time limit applied to this type of situation!!

I didn't know you asked me a question, and I certainly didn't attempt to answer one.

In terms of slow play, I have never made any references to anyones age when being penalised for slow play, have I...? In case your comment is actually a question, NO it doesn't matter how old you are, you should get penalised for slow play regardless of age. It also shouldn't matter WHO you are, you should get penalised for slow play regardless of status, a concept Mr.Paramor has clearly failed to grasp... Considering the slow play amongst some of the players (it's a miracle Bernhard Langer doesn't get penalised six-seven shots per round!) he has at least 15-20 opportunities to penalise players. As I said, I have never seen John penalise someone until yesterday.

I bet fat boy Paramor is sitting down when he takes a wee as well.

At least Tiger will be DQ from this years Masters.

Yes that is all over the UK press but strangely nothing on the PGA website - yet.

Wow, I only looked at PGA and Masters. Good thing someone has noticed. I'd hate to see Tiger get kicked out, especially when they've been inconsistent and allowed other players to brake the rules on a regular basis.

Yes that is all over the UK press but strangely nothing on the PGA website - yet.

Wow, I only looked at PGA and Masters. Good thing someone has noticed. I'd hate to see Tiger get kicked out, especially when they've been inconsistent and allowed other players to brake the rules on a regular basis.

It was reported about an hour ago on Yahoo USA. Though not conclusive, it looks bad for Tiger I'm afraid.

It was reported about an hour ago on Yahoo USA. Though not conclusive, it looks bad for Tiger I'm afraid.

I wouldn't worry too much - which would have been the case if your name had been "Guan" or something in the region of "not a mega star" - from a strict rules perspective, this will fall under the category "the ball was dropped within the area regarded as the nearest spot".

Tiger will be saved by the fact that there is no definition of what constitutes "as near as possible to a specific spot". And of course, he's Tiger - not Guan.

From the BBC, Woods not disqualified but given two shot penalty . Methinks this one is going to get some coverage! Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well, that's embarrassing to say the least... how did he escape a DQ? He signed an incorrect card yesterday.

What a joke.

For those of you who has never attended a rules training course with the intention to become a referee: There's an important concept in the rules of golf referred to as "players intention". In this case, it was pretty obvious that the players intention was to improve the conditions for his shot. For this reason, he should have incurred penalty. He didn't. Therefore, he signed for an incorrect score. This means disqualification.

I am really looking forward to the explanation for the ruling. As I said, I'm not surprised because Tiger is Tiger.

For those of you who has never attended a rules training course with the intention to become a referee: There's an important concept in the rules of golf referred to as "players intention". In this case, it was pretty obvious that the players intention was to improve the conditions for his shot. For this reason, he should have incurred penalty. He didn't. Therefore, he signed for an incorrect score. This means disqualification.

I am really looking forward to the explanation for the ruling. As I said, I'm not surprised because Tiger is Tiger.

I agree that the 'player's intention' aspect of it is obvious in this situation.

Possibly would go down in golfing folklore as the most costly hit flagstick shot in golf if the end result it is a DQ. From just about jarring it to hit the lead in the Masters to being DQ'd is epic.

I wonder if the 'dark side of the force' the Megabucks Augusta National won't want him to be DQ'd as it will have an impact on broadcasting money - ie - ratings... so the next time a TV deal comes along they can up the price even more based on the ratings going through the roof. Tiger on a Sunday at Augusta hunting for the lead only spells dollar signs.

Love the event (golf tournament with top field), but the Augusta committee of old elitist slave money give me the xxxxx. They actually commented the other day that they don't want to increase the coverage because they want to keep it 'special' or something along those lines. British Open is telecast for 16 hours a day for the first 2 rounds. Masters... on no we will only allow telecast from 3pm. Bunch of silver spoon snobs. This was in the same press conference when they were stroking themselves about promoting the game with a chipping and putting competition for juniors because they realise that the younger generation aren't taking up golf. duh - so broadcast the whole event to the masses if you want to promote the game!

The club is probably so rich they could buy every kid in America a set of golf clubs if they wanted to!

Edited by metisdead
Profanity

Andrew Cotter, BBC Sport at Augusta

"The rules of golf are clear. Tiger took an incorrect drop so there's only one outcome. Guan Tianlang will have to be disqualified."

i wish the Beeb would DQ that prat and the whispering Maureen Madill while their at it.

will never happen though, because they are Scots and we all know how much the BBC are in love with the way they talk.

best thing that ever happened was when Cotter got the xxxxx whilst "apparently" commentating on this years six nations rugby match between Italy and Wales.

sheer bliss ! actually had nearly a whole games worth of two people who were ex players that knew what they were talking about, whilst making sense.

Edited by metisdead
Profantiy