P T T Sets Up Energy War Room During Myanmar's Temporary Gas Delivery Suspension

webfact

PTT sets up energy war room during Myanmar's temporary gas delivery suspension

BANGKOK, 2 April 2013 (NNT) – Thailand’s oil and gas giant, PTT, has set up a war room to prepare the country for any outage during Myanmar’s temporary gas delivery suspension in April.

PTT Chief Executive Officer and President Pailin Chuchottaworn said on Monday that the company has launched war room to monitor the country’s energy situation during April 5-14, when natural gas delivery from Myanmar will be suspended for pipeline maintenance.

Mr. Pailin assured that PTT has prepared backup fuel, including diesel and bunker oil, during the aforementioned period.

When asked about possible impact of the suspension on natural gas vehicle (NGV) drivers, Mr. Pailin stated that PTT has prepared backup supplies for the motorists on the western part of the country, where the effect may be somewhat evident.

He also noted that, as a long-term solution to possible power shortage, Thailand is in need of more power plants to cope with higher demand while the public should participate more in energy conservation campaigns.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-04-02 footer_n.gif

Get the population to use energy more wisely (freezing shopping malls, cars parked with running engines etc.) while work on energy independence from anybody else. Thais do not want to admit, that they DEPEND on Laos and Myanmar; both countries Thai look down to.
With more than 300 sunshine days there is a message somewhere. I wanted to install solar panels; the three digit import duty percentage killed the idea. Produce solar electricity and hot water, heat exchanger in hotels to cool off a/c systems by producing hot water.

These technologies have been around for a LONG time; but our lovely Neanderthais just do not want to get it!

• Like 1

This is a blight on the management of this country, there's plenty of gas in the gulf (PTT) yet they buy from Burma, Why? Very dangerous game buying power and water from another country, in this region, can anyone really trust anyone.coffee1.gif

Old wine new bottle. The maintenance on oil and gas fields are planned a year in advance. We have the same problem every year. Oil companies plan, politicians do not, they only think about their back pocket. PTT is 75% owned by the government, so they are a tool of the politicians coffee1.gif

Time for another government minister or Pheu Thai MP, or whoever to come with a reassuring statement that all is under control, no problems are foreseen and all will go as planned

This is a blight on the management of this country, there's plenty of gas in the gulf (PTT) yet they buy from Burma, Why? Very dangerous game buying power and water from another country, in this region, can anyone really trust anyone.coffee1.gif

Err...no there'not..wink.png

Thailand imports gas because the demand far exceeds the supply from the gulf...rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

this shows how vulnerable a country is when it depends on other one's to provide you with basic needs

how about investings in solar panel grids ? big one's and why not in moo bahns?

Edited by belg

this shows how vulnerable a country is when it depends on other one's to provide you with basic needs

Exactly all the more reason to build a few nukes in Thailand...thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Time for another government minister or Pheu Thai MP, or whoever to come with a reassuring statement that all is under control, no problems are foreseen and all will go as planned

Has it occurred to anyone that the goverment may be purposely playing the "crisis" up, as if it doesnt happen, they can puff their chests out and tell everyone how the goverment leadership/planning averted a crisis..call me cynical if you will...but the impending "crisis" is more to do with lack of planning in Thailand than the Bumese shutting in the supply for a week, they have know about this for a long tme, Burma has not unlaterially just decided one one day to close the tap...as a customer, the Thai goverment would have been involved in the timing/duration of this..the Burmese will want this shut in a short as possible because its costing them big bucks in lost revenue from Thailand

Yes, let's have a few more Fukushimas.

not suggesting building BWR's, PWR's far better...wink.png

Given that this 'war room' will be managed by PTT - a pretty well-run company - with, hopefully, no incompetent politicians involved, there is a fair chance that they won't do a FROC.

That is if they are allowed to provide up to date honest information.

not suggesting building BWR's, PWR's far better...wink.png

The history of nuclear power accidents: Windscale, Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, Fukushima and lots of other smaller accidents, show it's not safe, despite the industry's protestations to the contrary. We were promised, cheap, reliable, safe, clean energy , "too cheap to meter". Yeah, right...

The history of nuclear power accidents: Windscale, Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, Fukushima and lots of other smaller accidents, show it's not safe, despite the industry's protestations to the contrary. We were promised, cheap, reliable, safe, clean energy , "too cheap to meter". Yeah, right...

Based on the number of aircraft that have fallen out the sky since the Wright brothers...show air travel is not safe either, but this doesnt stop people from flying

Based on the number of road traffic accidents and related injuries world wide shows driving a motor car is not safe, but this doesnt stop people either

Oil & gas exploration and operation is said to be safe...but maybe go and ask BP in the Gulf of Mexico

wink.png

• Like 1

Based on the number of aircraft that have fallen out the sky since the Wright brothers...show air travel is not safe either, but this doesnt stop people from flying

Based on the number of road traffic accidents and related injuries world wide shows driving a motor car is not safe, but this doesnt stop people either

Oil & gas exploration and operation is said to be safe...but maybe go and ask BP in the Gulf of Mexico

wink.png

Yes and you can add the far more deaths & lung failures from coal mining than all the other energy sources put together.

All energy sources should be in the mix with the emphasis on both variety of types of generation as well as variety of import sources.

Personally, given a choice, I'd live near to a nuclear generator in preference to a coal-fired generator.

• Like 1

For the fun of it I measurage the current at my condo and had 227 V this morning.

Will be interesting to see if we get a voltage drop during the shutdown.

Well if you do get a voltage drop very easy to detect...everything goes dark...tongue.png

PTT is a well-run company. I suppose this is a piece of advance PR for the benefit of shareholders and customers in the event of shortages. I suppose it may show there really is something to be concerned about coming later this week.

PTT is a well-run company. I suppose this is a piece of advance PR for the benefit of shareholders and customers in the event of shortages. I suppose it may show there really is something to be concerned about coming later this week.

I suggest they come up with monitoring center, war room, hardly inspires confidence.

I suggest they come up with monitoring center, war room, hardly inspires confidence.

It's slang for a "situation room" meaning they are gearing up special to handle the coming difficulties. Yes, war room is corporate speak, borrowed from the military obviously.

Err...no there'not..wink.png

Thailand imports gas because the demand far exceeds the supply from the gulf...rolleyes.gif

There is a suggestion that more power plants are needed to stop this happening in the future. The problem is not the ability to generate electricity but the fuel to allow it to happen. Sadly laughable.