Charge The Fatties Extra

JoePai

There appears to be some confusion creeping in here. Are we talking about making more money for the airline or are we talking about passenger comfort which is denied anyone having to sit next to an exceptionally obese passenger.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was flying from bkk to Kenya and in the aisle sear with a young sex tourist Australian female sat next to me by the window.

This dozy cow had 3 large bottles of drinks for the 10 hour flight and drank and drank until she then kept saying "excuse me I need to get past to go the toilet". After the third time she woke up I said "look I am working as soon as I get to Africa so either stop waking me up or switch seats".

Funnily enough she stopped drinking to ready herself for the loss of body fluids for when the Kenyan lotharios got a hold of her.

It was funny teasing her asking what she was doing travelling on her on for a.......safari. Yeah OK, never seen someone blush so much.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Gosh ! wish i knew for sure what you are ranting on about ! rolleyes.gif

What if you're just 'stout' of stature by nature???

If they're going to start picking on people who make travel unpleasant then they should start with the garlic breathed, then the snorers, then them with unruly brats, then fidgiters and then people with glasses who need to clean the bloody things every 20 minutes - elbows everywhere...

I take it you're overweight?

Great idea! I hope the rest of the airline industry follows suit... charge the fat f*****s extra and make them keep their "rolls" to "their side" of the armrest!

12 hours beside one of 'em ain't nice...

Most airlines have had problems making a profit for quite a few years. It's tempting to joke about the fat, overweight and increasing numbers of obese from overeating adults and children (who are led to believe that's it's okay to be that way), but it's a serious issue. Aircraft will eventually need wider seats with fewer bums filling them; result: even less revenue.

I think that there should be a maximum passenger+baggage weight above which premiums should be paid at check-in, in addition to double seat purchase for the real fatties.

I think the last paragraph above is commmon sense and fare to everyone, providing the airline set a fare maximum weight and did not use the change to increase prices.

I have done this flight a couple of times and we are talking about big people in a tiny airplane. They weigh everyone to balance the load. So, it makes sense to me. I am surprised that they did not put a minimum charge on the ticket. After a couple of flights full of little kids, they might rethink their pricing.

I've worked in Samoa, and flown Samoa Air a few times between Samoa and American Samoa... you need the context of their business before you all start jumping to conclusions about this being applied to long haul flights...

The flights Samoa Air fly are on 12-18 seat planes for 45 minute hops between islands... with a max take of weight of under 3 tonnes... the flights are usually full (or at least the ones between Samoa and American Samoa are) and the business is obviously run on a shoe string because a) both countries are quite poor, and, b ) the planes are not very well maintained.

When you talk about Samoans and weight, you aren't talking about your average fat arse American or Aussie (or other Euros)... even when they are training for rugby and probably carrying the kind of body fat that would make a supermodel envious, they are HUGE... Hands the size of baseball mits, heads the size of small children, children the size of families... yes, many of them are overwight, but when their 'natural weight' already 100kg, and then they put on 30% middle aged spread, it is only the same as an Anglo who has gone from 70kg to 91... how many people aren't 30% or more over their 'natural weight'??? Now when a normal Anglo hits 140Kg, they are probably 100% additional weight...

From a Samoa Air I don't think it is so much about the fuel costs, but if they get 10 big Samoans on a flight, they need to bump passengers, which means an extra flight, which means extra maintenance (based upon cycles as well as disctance), extra fuel, extra labour... their choice is to reduce the number of seats allocated on every flight, and charge everyone extra, or charge those who create the issue...

Now - getting to the important part - fatty bashing biggrin.png ...

Twice I checked in online 23hrs,59mins before departure to get the exit row seat, only have have the check-in chicks allocate the seats beside me to people who would struggle to contain themself within 2 seats... one of whom was Asian, so did the typical Asian thing as soon as arse touches seat - slept until landing... I couldn't get the tray out of my armrest, so had to eat with my food on my lap... had nowhere to sit my drink, and generally flattended one side of my body being pressed against the cabin side...

Now I forego exit rows, because they are less comfortable that a normal cattle class seat... I don't think it should go on weight, but on girth... either waist or shoulders... because seriously it does have a massive negative impact on other travellers...

Of course I wouldn't be saying this if at 72kg I was only 4kg overwieght...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Edited by Daewoo
  • Like 1

Looks like a lot more check-in staff will be needed, or maybe 4 hour check-in ?

In Asia all checking will have to have a step ladder for the extra tall passengers..

You cannot just say person = x kg

My weight has been the same more or less for the passed 44 years, between 105 - 115 kg, now about 108 kg, Am I then classed as a fatty ?

So my chest size is 127 cm, [50 in] and the chest bones can be clearly seen, Belly I have but is 111 cm,[46 in] shoe size 48,[uK 13] 190 cm tall, [6ft 3] now does that make a difference ?

So I am 30 kg over limit to the next person that is 30 cm shorter = person by kg does not work........... Check-in to have some kind of fat meter?

Edit: For size, frame. hight and age, my ideal weight so say is between. 96 - 104 kg..... so I really 4 kg over weights !! gues many thin or short people would not agree

Edited by ignis

In Asia all checking will have to have a step ladder for the extra tall passengers..

My weight has been the same more or less for the passed 44 years, between 105 - 115 kg, now about 108 kg, Am I then classed as a fatty ?

So my chest size is 127 cm, [50 in] and the chest bones can be clearly seen, Belly I have but is 111 cm,[46 in] shoe size 48,[uK 13] 190 cm tall, [6ft 3] now does that make a difference ?

So I am 30 kg over limit to the next person that is 30 cm shorter = person by kg does not work........... Check-in to have some kind of fat meter?

Noooooooooo fat meter laugh.png . We ALL have our bags weighed, if they are over a certain weight WE are charged cash, for extra fuel rolleyes.gif , captain has to give the ride more welly for extra weight laugh.png . It's a nonsense as captain hasn't got a clue regarding the weight of stuff with heart beats.

So he does have a clue there should be a scales for heart beats to stand on at the check in desk so a total weight of passenger and luggage is shown, THEN Mr. Captain will have a complete readout of his payload, and how far to put his foot down. smile.png

This system would enable big folk to adjust their luggage weight if they don't want to cough up more cash.

Of course this will never happen. smile.png

• Like 1

Edit: For size, frame. hight and age, my ideal weight so say is between. 96 - 104 kg..... so I really 4 kg over weights !! gues many thin or short people would not agree

If you are able to keep your arm inside your space during the flight, I don't care.

108 Kg means about 112 Kg with clothes. If we put the total weight limit at 120 Kg for all weight (i.e. passenger, hand luggage and checked luggage), you could still take 8 Kg on for free, even being of that huge build.

If you are able to keep your arm inside your space during the flight, I don't care.

108 Kg means about 112 Kg with clothes. If we put the total weight limit at 120 Kg for all weight (i.e. passenger, hand luggage and checked luggage), you could still take 8 Kg on for free, even being of that huge build.

As most airlines have seat maps, always reserve something that is best for me,,,,, eg. short haul isle seat at the back = sorts out my leg room problem as last 4 rows have less seats across.. long haul pay the extra and go Business class.......... when tall you got to think of the person in front as well.. if your knees are jammed into there back and they cannot recline there seat at all.

As for only taking 8 kg of luggage that just daft as I am not obese or even close, max of 4 kg over normal weight for my build.

Edited by ignis

Not to make fun of you but 111 cm is quite a starting belly. Not yet fat either but stating your only 4kg overweight is crazy its more then that.

Otherwise its your own body not my concern nor me to judge over. I only feel that people encrouching on the seat of fellow passengers should be paying extra and moved to a bigger seat. I don't see it as a good idea if you pay extra by weight and no changes are made to seating as then they still bother other passengers with their girth even though they paid extra.

Edit went to look for some online calculators and they are all around 90 kg for your length. (i find that a bit low myself but you get the point)

http://bmi.webmasters.sk/bmi-table.php

I hate using bmi as its outdated but just for the idea.

Edited by robblok

Not to make fun of you but 111 cm is quite a starting belly. Not yet fat either but stating your only 4kg overweight is crazy its more then that.

Otherwise its your own body not my concern nor me to judge over. I only feel that people encrouching on the seat of fellow passengers should be paying extra and moved to a bigger seat. I don't see it as a good idea if you pay extra by weight and no changes are made to seating as then they still bother other passengers with their girth even though they paid extra.

Edit went to look for some online calculators and they are all around 90 kg for your length. (i find that a bit low myself but you get the point)

http://bmi.webmasters.sk/bmi-table.php

I hate using bmi as its outdated but just for the idea.

Agree, look at this waist size for a big guy.

post-41816-0-10620200-1365063042_thumb.j

smile.png

http://bmi.webmasters.sk/bmi-table.php = well over weight even Obese !! yet read a review.. quote:

Body Mass Index Standards for Elderly Adults

The NIH maintains the same recommendations for BMI measurements as the CDC. No matter the age of the adult, standards for body mass index apply equally to the general population. However, the NIH does make a concession within its standards for elderly adults. Although a BMI within the range of 18.5 to 24.9 is typically considered normal for an adult, the NIH recommends a BMI between 25 and 27 for older adults, specifically those age 65 and older. A BMI slightly higher than normal in this population is thought to be protective against osteoporosis.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/189307-ideal-weight-by-age-height/#ixzz2PUIpufyX

So I am 2 of these BMI things over normal..... none the wiser....... to me appear in my 20's I was well over, but now near normal ?

Go to over 60's on http://www.nhs.uk just over normal weight by 4 kg

On the live strong with the height your way over normal

16 inches over 5 ft = 106 + 96 = 202 / 2 = 101 8 90% as a pound is NOT half a kg (US LBS) and makes it 90 KG

Anyway if you look at your belly your certainly not slim.

Your over normal however you look at it. Not saying your fat but your belly is 111 that is quite a lot when i was over 100 cm i considered myself fat. I am 180cm just for reference.

Anyway this was not to flame you in anyway as its a choice you made and you feel ok with it so just be happy.

I also doubt most people would mind sitting next to you in a plane. I and others were talking about people taking up space of others in the plane.

I was 107 kg 1-1-2012, fat enough in my book though i had muscle too back then that weighted a lot. Still a belly of a bit over a 100cm

Edited by robblok

If you send a letter air mail they weigh it. What ever it weighs you pay the cost. Why should it be any different for any air cargo, human or whatever. ?

Looks like

the future need to be designer kids ? then no one will be too tall, to big

bones, to long in the leg, wonder what the airlines will then come up with to

get extra ?

If you send a letter air mail they weigh it. What ever it weighs you pay the cost. Why should it be any different for any air cargo, human or whatever. ?

Looks like

the future need to be designer kids ? then no one will be too tall, to big

bones, to long in the leg, wonder what the airlines will then come up with to

get extra ?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, air travel cost is about weight. Whether a letter, box of stuff or YOU. I don't want to pay for you if you were born big. I was not, so do l get a cash reduction from you. ?

• Like 1

16 inches over 5 ft = 106 + 96 = 202 / 2 = 101 8 90% as a pound is NOT half a kg (US LBS) and makes it 90 KG

Your over normal however you look at it. Not saying your fat but your belly is 111 that is quite a lot when i was over 100 cm i considered myself fat. I am 180cm just for reference.

Anyway this was not to flame you in anyway as its a choice you made and you feel ok with it so just be happy.

I also doubt most people would mind sitting next to you in a plane. I and others were talking about people taking up space of others in the plane.

I was 107 kg 1-1-2012, fat enough in my book though i had muscle too back then that weighted a lot. Still a belly of a bit over a 100cm

Anyway this was not to flame you in anyway as its a choice you made and you feel ok with it so just be happy....Yep,,

30 years ago lost weight down to just over 90 kg, got fed up with everyone that said how ill I looked, chest bones sticking out of my chest, arms and legs looked skinny, made my belly look a lot bigger...........

Anyway this was not to flame you in anyway as its a choice you made and you feel ok with it so just be happy....Yep,,

30 years ago lost weight down to just over 90 kg, got fed up with everyone that said how ill I looked, chest bones sticking out of my chest, arms and legs looked skinny, made my belly look a lot bigger...........

Come to the gym. All will be sorted. thumbsup.gif

I got a slap on the wrist yesterday from the mod for being rude - so I'll try and keep this post as polite as possible:

The subject here is weight and only weight. Okay, there has been quite a few humorous posts about smellies etc but the main thread is about weight = fuel..

It should be nothing about how tall / short / healthy / old / young you are or even ugly as one poster tried to bring into the thread

There needs to be no standard set by any doctor, psychologist, or psychiatrist for that matter. The engineers know exactly how much fuel an aircraft requires to carry a single kg a certain distance. The airline knows the price of that fuel and their overhead to operate the airline. There needs of course a few other factors thrown in eg those who want to fly business/first class etc, but at the end of the day it would not be difficult to come up with a weight per distance per unit cost figure - and whether you were tall/short/healthy/old/young/ugly or Mr or Mrs Universe, it would be fair to pay by your body weight plus [all] luggage.

• Like 2

The subject here is weight and only weight

up to a point yes..

so what weight will it be ?

​Someone said 120 kg per person, so a small person of say 50 kg they can take 70 kg of luggage ? end result = plane would have even more kg on board..

Or total ticket price is on check-in........ every person + all luggage = price per kg per flight ?

up to a point yes..

​Someone said 120 kg per person, so a small person of say 50 kg they can take 70 kg of luggage ? end result = plane would have even more kg on board..

Or total ticket price is on check-in........ every person + all luggage = price per kg per flight ?

I don't really care about the weight thing, just about the space thing. People should use the seat they have paid for and not someone else his or her seat.

But the fairest would probably be total check in weight is price per ticket though i think it would be real hard to do as people would have to pay just before they fly. It might just be a real hassle.

up to a point yes..

I don't really care about the weight thing, just about the space thing. People should use the seat they have paid for and not someone else his or her seat.

But the fairest would probably be total check in weight is price per ticket though i think it would be real hard to do as people would have to pay just before they fly. It might just be a real hassle.

In this day and age just hand over a CC, job done. I recall must be 20 years ago l toured the USA and put a CC in the fuel pump, took the gas, took out my CC. Job done. thumbsup.gif

up to a point yes..

In this day and age just hand over a CC, job done. I recall must be 20 years ago l toured the USA and put a CC in the fuel pump, took the gas, took out my CC. Job done. thumbsup.gif

Not really.. because the airlines want the money before and reservations would be real hard to do.. That would mean you could never be sure of a seat and stuff like that because if you dont pay ahead people would not turn up ect ect.

There are some major drawbacks to this system, anyway its just not practical.

Maybe a standard fee first and more or less after a check at the airport..anyway ... i see it as a hassle that might not work.

Edited by robblok

In this day and age just hand over a CC, job done

Sorry to be difficult but job is not done, If I am paying a lot more for a seat, then I will expect to have a bigger seat, after all I would be paying for it, same with very tall, they expect to have somewhere to put there legs... big seats in Economy some will be upset, can a couple sit next to each other ? one obese the other skinny ?

1.6 billion people are over weight !! http://www.infoplease.com/world/statistics/obesity.html