Moving To Bangkok From Singapore

Not sure what you mean by "finance sector" and would be useful if you could expand.

For banking for example your chances are close to zero, as in addition to Ministry of Labour requirements you also need additional approval from the regulator. This needs to explain why they need to employ a foreigner and what your special skill sets are. To put in context, a bank I worked for had 2,000 employees, they were only automatically allowed 3 foreigners. After that approval was on a case by case basis - so much tougher than a normal company. The bank recognises this so is careful in when to employ a foreigner and not, to avoid wasting a work permit where there's no business case, as each foreigner added effectively decreases the chances of the next.

The only 25 year old foreigner I've met in banking in Thailand, was doing an internship on a one year arrangement from Europe. After that ended, he wanted to say, but couldn't get a job here, so took a few months out to look around and extend a little, then did the sensible thing of going back to Europe, and continuing his career.

If you've some formal accounting type qualification that may be easier to find work in the "finance" department of a non-financial compay, but given you've little experience you may not earn enough to qualify for a work permit.

If you're intending to join the ranks of dodgy "financial" advisors it could well be feasible.

From a career perspective much better to stay in Singapore for a few years and have a real trade or profession behind you, were you can add value and have expertise. ASEAN 2015 may also help you as a Singaporean if they actually get round to implementing and relaxing work permit requirements.

Otherwise you're looking at a trade off: taking any old job you can get your hands on, in return for your "life experience" in Thailand. Not necessarily a mistake at your age as there's more to life than work, but it adds very little to your career.

Cheers

Fletch :)

• Like 1

Hi,

I am 29 and have been in your position and I understand how you feel. I completely understand why you want to make the move.

But, given your industry, I think you will find it very hard to find a decent job here. I think you will find one, but after a brief time you will experience problems you cannot imagine and will meet experiences that would frankly never happen in Singapore. Finance industry here is really full of problems. The only exception is the MNC but you seem a little young at 25 for this? I may be wrong.

I moved myself for very similar reasons but I was very lucky to have a job I could take with me. If I had to get a job such as in your position, I would have also gone ahead with the move, but knowing what I know now after 10 years, it would have been the wrong move.

Best of luck! If you do come anyway, send me a PM and we can have a beer.

wow, don't really appreciate the sarcasm input. sad.png

Just to add some more input to my background, I am an entrepreneur in Singapore, started my IT product distribution company 4 years ago and is self sustainable now.

I'm not going to Thailand just because of some pussy.

Rather, I want to experience. What's so wrong about that?

I'm definitely not looking to become a millionaire by relocating to Thailand. What my primary objective is to stay and learn about Thailand, while having some job/pocket money to sustain my trip. Let's say the trip is between 3 months to 2 years.

Go and read what you wrote in your OP and some of your ealier posts and now your changing your story

You have gone from a recent umemployed graduate looking for a job in finance to a entrepreneur, distributing IT products and have been doing so for 4 years...

going to bow out of this one as suspect we are dealing with a Walter...

OP, I read what you said about personal safety in Malaysia, and that simply hasnt been my experience - perhaps I've been lucky. Whilst I have no idea whether there are any finance jobs in Ipoh, that city would have to be the closest thing to a Chinese-dominated 'ideal city' that I've seen anywhere in Asia : neither too big nor too small, fantastic food and reasonable cost of living. The downside is that I've seen reports claiming that burglaries are on the increase, including crims breaking in through the roof. The obvious answer is highrise - if you cant find what you are looking for in Ipoh, check out Butterworth / Penang.

Under the bridge downtown...

Sorry, was typing a reply and then this great song came on... Now where was I...

wink.png

That had to be one of the most awesome song

love it. thanks!

Not sure what you mean by "finance sector" and would be useful if you could expand.

For banking for example your chances are close to zero, as in addition to Ministry of Labour requirements you also need additional approval from the regulator. This needs to explain why they need to employ a foreigner and what your special skill sets are. To put in context, a bank I worked for had 2,000 employees, they were only automatically allowed 3 foreigners. After that approval was on a case by case basis - so much tougher than a normal company. The bank recognises this so is careful in when to employ a foreigner and not, to avoid wasting a work permit where there's no business case, as each foreigner added effectively decreases the chances of the next.

The only 25 year old foreigner I've met in banking in Thailand, was doing an internship on a one year arrangement from Europe. After that ended, he wanted to say, but couldn't get a job here, so took a few months out to look around and extend a little, then did the sensible thing of going back to Europe, and continuing his career.

If you've some formal accounting type qualification that may be easier to find work in the "finance" department of a non-financial compay, but given you've little experience you may not earn enough to qualify for a work permit.

If you're intending to join the ranks of dodgy "financial" advisors it could well be feasible.

From a career perspective much better to stay in Singapore for a few years and have a real trade or profession behind you, were you can add value and have expertise. ASEAN 2015 may also help you as a Singaporean if they actually get round to implementing and relaxing work permit requirements.

Otherwise you're looking at a trade off: taking any old job you can get your hands on, in return for your "life experience" in Thailand. Not necessarily a mistake at your age as there's more to life than work, but it adds very little to your career.

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Now I understand better what's the special skills required is all about all these while.. thanks!

Edited by tengjj2000

Hi,

I am 29 and have been in your position and I understand how you feel. I completely understand why you want to make the move.

But, given your industry, I think you will find it very hard to find a decent job here. I think you will find one, but after a brief time you will experience problems you cannot imagine and will meet experiences that would frankly never happen in Singapore. Finance industry here is really full of problems. The only exception is the MNC but you seem a little young at 25 for this? I may be wrong.

I moved myself for very similar reasons but I was very lucky to have a job I could take with me. If I had to get a job such as in your position, I would have also gone ahead with the move, but knowing what I know now after 10 years, it would have been the wrong move.

Best of luck! If you do come anyway, send me a PM and we can have a beer.

Didn't know the finance sector is really that competitive in Thailand. If I do get there, definitely drop you a PM! Cheers!

Go and read what you wrote in your OP and some of your ealier posts and now your changing your story
You

have gone from a recent umemployed graduate looking for a job in finance to a entrepreneur, distributing IT products and have been doing so for 4 years...

going to bow out of this one as suspect we are dealing with a Walter...

I'm not going continue to feed anymore information. They are unnecessary, please be objective here. Yes, I am self employed, but you can consider this as unemployed because at any moment, I may become jobless. But in this topic, it is unnecessary.

OP, I read what you said about personal safety in Malaysia, and that simply hasnt been my experience - perhaps I've been lucky. Whilst I have no idea whether there are any finance jobs in Ipoh, that city would have to be the closest thing to a Chinese-dominated 'ideal city' that I've seen anywhere in Asia : neither too big nor too small, fantastic food and reasonable cost of living. The downside is that I've seen reports claiming that burglaries are on the increase, including crims breaking in through the roof. The obvious answer is highrise - if you cant find what you are looking for in Ipoh, check out Butterworth / Penang.

Hi, thanks for input. I travel to Johor Bahru almost 4 times a week for petrol, food, entertainment and groceries. I used to run errant for my late father to KL and other states in Malaysia.

Although I have not been robbed, but I have heard stories and read news about houses broken into, people being robbed and bag's being snatched. Just the other day, my friend's car rear window just been smashed. Ipoh is a very small town, I like the culture and people there but I don't see a reason for me to stay.

Butterworth and Penang is also not my cup of tea, I love the seafood @ Butterworth and the people @ Penang. I traveled to East Malaysia, Sabah and Sarawak but it's just not for me.

Cost of living I understand is much cheaper than KL if I were to be in Ipoh. Thanks for the suggestion.

Talking about finance,

I am looking for any jobs with regards to that.

I was previously attached to DBS Vickers (Singapore) under Trustees and Nomines. Handling IPOs and Funds.

I am not looking for any jobs that will be able to buy me big houses or drive big cars. But I'm just looking to stay, learn the language, mix with the people and still be able to survive. Be it I waste my time away, I find it worthwhile. As long as I do not have to sleep on the streets or struggle to pay my next utilities bill, I am fine with it.

Even if I can't get into the finance sector, as some suggested to become an English teacher, I am also fine with that.

From what I get from all your posts..

1) you would like to stay in thailand to experience the culture, lifestyle and etc..

2) get a job at the same time to support your experience in thailand (just enough to cover all your expanses)

The stumbling block here is the Work Permit(lots of hassle and limitations) and what you have to offer to the company that they are willing to hire you compare to a local.

You can give it a try by applying for job via a few online job portal. You might have an excellent CV that we all don't know.

Other then that I personally feel thailand is an excellent country to live in as I give up Singapore and move back here.

Talking about finance,

I was previously attached to DBS Vickers (Singapore) under Trustees and Nomines. Handling IPOs and Funds.

I am not looking for any jobs that will be able to buy me big houses or drive big cars. But I'm just looking to stay, learn the language, mix with the people and still be able to survive. Be it I waste my time away, I find it worthwhile. As long as I do not have to sleep on the streets or struggle to pay my next utilities bill, I am fine with it.

Even if I can't get into the finance sector, as some suggested to become an English teacher, I am also fine with that.

DBS Vickers Thailand are SEC regulated. Similar issues to banking. Particularly on client side where you need to be licensed.

Teaching Singlish would be possible lah :)

Talking about finance,

A career going backwards.

Talking about finance,

What is the ultimate attraction in bangkok to make you head over heels to want to stay, mix with the people and learn thai language

Talking about finance,

What is the ultimate attraction in bangkok to make you head over heels to want to stay, mix with the people and learn thai language

In a nutshell, self indulgence.

Follow the Thai culture? That's a giggle. You haven't got a pot to p*** in and you are lah-di-dahing like a new-age hippy.

What have you got?

He has his youth, his health, no dependents, a positive attitude and a couple of years in the "real world" under his belt. What more do you need?

Turning away from a challenging adventure out of fear of failure at this point would be the real mistake. Life is for living.

Edited by cocopops

I would suggest that if you are fixated on Thailand, you can rent a hotel room for appx 4000 tb a month, that would include a nice swimming pool, and work your way up look for a job. only after you have found one, look for an apartment in that vicinity. This way you won't find yourself commuting 2 hours*2 every day.

Regarding a car, again, I'd suggest using public transportation or taxi, it's much cheaper than investing in a car, and only after having a job, considering buying a car.

Give yourself a few months, and then you'll know how you feel about it all,

Hi, thanks for input. I travel to Johor Bahru almost 4 times a week for petrol, food, entertainment and groceries.

I thought travelling from SIN to JB for fuel was illegal or have the SIN authorities given up on this?

So if we have the mahjong tiles lined up correctly, your SIN company is self sufficient - therefore it stands to reason that you can take a sabbatical to Thailand and live as one with the people or as one with the TESOL brigade - and can run itself or you can run it remotely?