Why Do Thai Woman Put Towels On Every Floor

muythai2013

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allright. I think they clean the floor everyday, regardless if it looks dirty or not and thats how it should be. Hence the towels, old shirts, etc..

This is normal everywhere IMO. Well i gave it my best shot MyaiThai. Not much discussion in there IMO.

How about the meaning of life?

I prefer the life of Brian

Nonsense! The holy grail was the best~!

Do you know the difference between an african and a european swallow?

No idea about the intention of that question, but what's a swallow ?

I have never experienced this habit in the hundreds of houses, apartments and rooms I have either lived in or visited in LOS

Same here, being here for almost 2 decades and travelled all over the country, have never noticed this.

Me either never seen it here in all the thousands of houses I been in.

A post discussing moderation has been removed.

Back On Topic.

We don't have towels on the floor (they are reserved for drying the body) but we do have loads of those 'rag mats' at strategic locations.

Help keep the floor clean and dry.

Agreed, and more. when i spilled something or found something dirty on the floor i just use my foot in combination with the rag to clean it up so i don't have to bend down.thumbsup.gif .

would be handy in a prison shower

FWIW, same here.

Been living here 9 years, married to a Thai, been to many Thai houses, but have never encountered this.

I have never experienced this habit in the hundreds of houses, apartments and rooms I have either lived in or visited in LOS

Same here, being here for almost 2 decades and travelled all over the country, have never noticed this.

The swallows and martins are a group of

passerine birds in the family Hirundinidae which are characterised by

their adaptation to aerial feeding.

Further: African Swallows stay in Africa European ones migrate to and from Africa,they all carry Coconuts for a drink when they are thirsty.

I had the knowledge about that, but as you probably didn't understand my question I will put it more clearly.

What was the axe you needed to grind?

Further: African Swallows stay in Africa European ones migrate to and from Africa,they all carry Coconuts for a drink when they are thirsty.

I had the knowledge about that, but as you probably didn't understand my question I will put it more clearly.

If he towel is in the ring the axe stayes in it's box.

Yes a habit of many Thais, but they wouldn't use a towel per se, they would call it something like a rag. Its because floor tiles are slippery, and the grooves also attract ants to any spills, so quickly mopping up anything using ones foot allows one to keep hands, floor and grandma, safe.

• Like 1

If he towel is in the ring the axe stayes in it's box.

If one has no idea of when or if there is a reason to grind an axe, you better get rid of the box asap.

I knew I was getting into trouble answering this thread. For the people that have never seen this despite travelling thousands of miles in Thailand and visiting millions of households... maybe it's just Isaan that does this, and nobody in his right mind visits Isaan, right? Where people work? What do you wipe your bare feet on when you go inside?

• Like 2

how do you know its all Thai women that do this, maybe its only yours, get her a maid...

>>how do you know its all Thai women that do this, maybe its only yours, get her a maid...

obviously i have many thai friends who do it to, thats why it's not just mine.

every friend I know does it, every thai relative, every thai freinds wives.

I should of remembered to spell things out here. not all just the dozens I know.

I don't do that. The way I do is to soak it up and wipe off with new clothes afterward

Edited by Nuna

how do you know its all Thai women that do this, maybe its only yours, get her a maid...

>how do you know its all Thai women that do this, maybe its only yours, get her a maid...

I should of remembered to spell things out here. not all just the dozens I know.

Could you simply ask a Thai woman who does this?

It would seem that there may be a requirement for some clarification on this subject.

I have lived and visited South and North Thailand for many years and it has been my

experience that almost every house I have visited or stayed in had some kind of old

clothing or discarded towel like materials at the entrance of the dwelling, front and

back and at the exit of any WC or shower room.

They are, I believe, placed there to ensure anyone entering the house from front or

back or from the WC or shower, where the floors are usually wet, cleans or drys their

feet before entering the house thereby encouraging cleanliness and safety on tiled

flooring within the dwelling.

I think the OP only sees towels because he is into muaythai where I would think there

would be an unusual amount of old and/or worn towels.

All of my experience has been in rural or semi suburban areas and I would think this

practice may not be quite as prevelant in larger cities???

thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

Edited by phuketjock

Wooosh...right over your head me thinks...big nose

• Like 2

>how do you know its all Thai women that do this, maybe its only yours, get her a m

aid...

Could you simply ask a Thai woman who does this?

or he could just hire a maid..

‘muythai2013’

I don’t agree mate, I've not seen what you say happening with the Thai women I've been with, (only a small sample) but I don’t think what you state to be the ‘rule
of thumb’ …..More like the exception.

Me either never seen it here in all the thousands of houses I been in.

OP either, has never noticed but was looking for a topic never ever discussed before on TV cheesy.gif

Allright. I think they clean the floor everyday, regardless if it looks dirty or not and thats how it should be. Hence the towels, old shirts, etc..

This is normal everywhere IMO. Well i gave it my best shot MyaiThai. Not much discussion in there IMO.

How about the meaning of life?

I prefer the life of Brian

Nonsense! The holy grail was the best~!

Do you know the difference between an african and a european swallow?

No idea about the intention of that question, but what's a swallow ?

a european swallow is a distant cousin to the common asian spit.

I knew I was getting into trouble answering this thread. For the people that have never seen this despite travelling thousands of miles in Thailand and visiting millions of households... maybe it's just Isaan that does this, and nobody in his right mind visits Isaan, right? Where people work? What do you wipe your bare feet on when you go inside?

What would you do if the house didn't have tiles or towels ?

It is a quick and easy way to prevent and clean up spills on tile floors before people slip. Normally placed between wet and dry areas such as kitchen/LR or Bath and other rooms.

someone gets it, they put them on floors that are clean, shoes are taken off, and feet are all looked after because the majority of people who enter are fighters so the feet are well looked after.

one thing I have noticed is Thai people keep there homes very clean.

Why ask a question in a new thread when you already know the answer..

I think you know the answer to that. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Same here.

Never ever even heard about this.

Makes me wonder what type of circle OP has.

My wife is almost obsessed with clean floors, tidiness, etc.

I sometimes call her Monica, after the caracter in the sit com series Friends.

Same here.

Never ever even heard about this.

Makes me wonder what type of circle OP has.

My wife is almost obsessed with clean floors, tidiness, etc.

I sometimes call her Monica, after the caracter in the sit com series Friends.

they put them on clean floors, you should read all, your a bit thick.