Red Tuna

tornado24

What is Red Tuna? In Chiang Mai, I am familiar with pla thu-na (Tuna); pla-o (Tuna or Frigate Mackerel); and pla-o khrip-lueang (Yellowfin Tuna).

Are you perhaps referring to Pink Salmon?

Please provide more details, name in Thai, etc.

Ok I want red tuna, fresh but frozen(2-4 days), I used to make a kind of tataki, cut it in cubes and marinated in soy sauce, lime, little bit of olive oil and sesame oil, afterwards, Can use it on salads with avocado and a little bit of parmesan!! Yummyyyy!!

But I never bought tuna in CM, thats why Im asking.

Macro sells it?? How much? Im willing to pay 1200 kilo maximun. Thanks guys

Ok I want red tuna, fresh but frozen(2-4 days), I used to make a kind of tataki, cut it in cubes and marinated in soy sauce, lime, little bit of olive oil and sesame oil, afterwards, Can use it on salads with avocado and a little bit of parmesan!! Yummyyyy!!

not sure about the price.

Frozen for 2 to 4 days? I seriously doubt that and I don't know how you could tell.

Makro is going to be least expensive but might not stock it everyday... The one near the airport has a better selection than the east one.

Should be a requirement for anyone that starts a thread on TV.

Finish the thread with some info to share with others who might be searching in the future.

• Like 1

The fish of many sushi restaurants in Japan is fresh, but they frozen it for 3-4 days and then make sushi, sashimi or whatever.

I will check a few places(Tops, rimping, macro) and will post the prices here.

Edited by tornado24

The prefered sashimi fish by the Japanese is the 'yellow fin'. They
used to be quite plentiful until the Japs got rich enough to control the
market and drove up the prices by their demand for the best. I used to
fish for these 'gorillas' [we called them] and one big fish caught could
get you rich, but they became fewer and further between in the waters
of Hawaii.

It can freeze decently for a short period of time,
but nothing like fresh and the Japanese flew them on ice to the markets of
Japan and our fish was on the fish auction the next day.

blue fin tuna is #2 in sashimi demand and better cooked, but hard to tell the difference by taste, especially if frozen.

Don't know Thai name.

What is Red Tuna? In Chiang Mai, I am familiar with pla thu-na (Tuna); pla-o (Tuna or Frigate Mackerel); and pla-o khrip-lueang (Yellowfin Tuna).

Are you perhaps referring to Pink Salmon?

Please provide more details, name in Thai, etc.

Edited by Rooo

Yellow fin tuna is a deeper red, blue fin is more pale, turns white when cooked. If to be eaten raw, a flash freezing will kill the parasites.

pretty sure it depends on the size of the fish. Bigger ones are reder flesh.

Either Bluefin or Yellowfin can be pale or dark red depending on the size.

The tricky part now is that they are usually treated with carbon monoxide gas to give them a dark red color and enhance their appeal and value.. Not a health concern of being treated.

My guess is probably not Bluefin being sold in Thailand because they are more endangered and expensive.

Yellowfin is the affordable substitute

http://www.sushinomads.com/sushipedia

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Are you going to drink your cheap beer with your expensive tuna meal?

Actually I don't know that much about the differences in color but I believe one of the causes is because of the degree of oxygen in the water they live in.

Wish I could remember but I was once told that the difference in color of the meat in the same fish depended on hemoglobin in the meat.

i once read that they have tuna "fat farms" where tuna are fed a shrimp rich diet that causes the color to change to deeper red and less movement in the "pens" makes them get fatter... think wikipedia even talks about such things