Some Unhappy Campers In Kl Yesterday

On Monday I applied for a new single entry non-B at KL. There were a lot of people applying for visas, mostly Tourist I guess. Several people did not even get to lodge their applications for whatever reason (insufficient paperwork?). Yesterday when I collected my PP I noticed that at least three people never received a visa. One guy (Russian?) appeared to be arguing with the Consular Officer demanding a refund; a bad move! I noticed the previous day this guy took forever to lodge his application.

A word to the wise. Take everything you are told to bring on the website, especially flight schedules. I did and some of it was returned to me, told we don't need that here. Better safe than sorry.

Other than the above problems experienced by others I found the staff to be efficient and courteous.

I've been to KL three times, never a problem for me - as you say, have the papers required. You too can be efficient and courteous.

I have witnessed a meltdown at that office, the gentleman concerned was last seen being taken away arm-in-arm with two security men (for a nice cup of tea, perhaps)

Whatever visa he had applied for had been declined and he was very unhappy with this.

He had a very loud rant which then turned abusive.

I suspect that later on he regretted shouting at the young woman behind the counter "I have rights, have you ever heard of the f***ing United Nations?"

It was a very awkward moment. Should one intervene? He was extremely hostile.

Got my passport and out of there.

I have witnessed a meltdown at that office, the gentleman concerned was last seen being taken away arm-in-arm with two security men (for a nice cup of tea, perhaps)

Whatever visa he had applied for had been declined and he was very unhappy with this.

He had a very loud rant which then turned abusive.

I suspect that later on he regretted shouting at the young woman behind the counter "I have rights, have you ever heard of the f***ing United Nations?"

It was a very awkward moment. Should one intervene? He was extremely hostile.

Got my passport and out of there.

I hope they put a stamp in this guy's record to permanently mark him as an undesirable. Exactly the kind of person you don't wanna let into the LOS. And no, you should not intervene. Nothing good would come of that.

• Like 2

The same applies at immigration offices in Thailand, if people would show up with the correct paper work filled out and a bit of knowledge of what is required it would be so much easier here in Chiang Mai

• Like 1

For me it makes more sense to got to Laos, Cambodia or Penang as u can use an agent and they seldom have problems if all ur paperwork is in order,

Usually the agent knows what to check for before they will submit an take ur $$

I was at the immigration office in KL last week.The most efficient one I ever been. I was number 27 and it took 25 minutes. The next day more people before me in line but it took 20 minutes to get my pasport and visa. They smiled and said good afternoon to each customer.

there where some guys that looked still drunk from the night before that torn up there forms and walked away.

These forms aren't especially complex, but they do require some basic literacy skills in the English language. I know I had to push my Thai language private tutor for her to teach me how to fill out basic forms (i.e. so what's a tambon, amphur and this thing called a jangwat?) So, I guess others can develop a working knowledge of English, but yet not know how to fill out simple forms.

But, on the other hand, if someone is still drunk at 8 am in the morning, after a rough night in KL (a Muslin country) then perhaps they can't be trusted to handle themselves in Thailand.

For me it makes more sense to got to Laos, Cambodia or Penang as u can use an agent and they seldom have problems if all ur paperwork is in order,

Usually the agent knows what to check for before they will submit an take ur $$

Since the process is pretty simple I'm not sure why you use an agent. I have never been to the embassies/consulates in any of the places you mention so what am I missing? Is there something different that goes on in these places or is it that by paying an agent you are guaranteed success? I was speaking with a Brit in KL and he told me that Vientiane was difficult but he did not elaborate on why.

But, on the other hand, if someone is still drunk at 8 am in the morning, after a rough night in KL (a Muslin country) then perhaps they can't be trusted to handle themselves in Thailand.

Booze is very easy to find in KL. Close to where I stayed there were at least half a dozen shops that just sold booze and then every 7/11 also carries it. As for being drunk at 8 in the morning if you make the mistake of getting on the 8% or 9% beer unknowingly it could be entirely possible. I went to the 7/11 and picked up 4 cans of assorted beer, not the usual Tiger/Heineken, and discovered that 2 of them were high alcohol content. I only looked at the cans after I consumed them as I felt like I had drunk 8 cans laugh.png Can you even get 9% beer in Thailand? I think the brand was Skol

^ just my comments on agents

Sometimes it is just convenient

I used one in Penang - cost 300b.

Simple reason, travel with wife and gave us more time for sightseeing, we had a week's holiday there before heading to KL/Malacca then home, saved 2 x return trips to consulate and a few hours. Gave him passport when we arrived Sunday evening, collected from him later in week (it had been available Tues evening). I don't know if the 300b fee would have covered 4x taxi fares to/from the consulate.

Phnom Penh - I've done one for myself, also used an agent - cost US$18. Went there on an organised cycling tour, similar timetable to above, dropped of passport the Sunday evening we arrived, off 'on tour' 7am following morning, was there for me when we returned to PP later in week. In those circumstances saved us two days/nights, 4x taxi/tuk-tuk fares.

Edited by cycloneJ

as above; if i add in the taxi there and back (Twice) not having to wait in line, its just not worth it to save $10. PLUS (at least for Penanag) the agent will pick up ur passport the next day before noon rather than u having to go get it after 2 pm.

Its not about the form or ur level of english, its about time an money PLUS the agent knows exactly what u need to fill in to get the visa approved so its worth it. If ur paper work is not in order they will tell u and u have time to get it prepared. KL and Singapore do not offer agents.

Cambodia , same thing, saves time and cost about the same if u do it urself.

Edited by phuketrichard

one more re Phnom Penh - although I am unsure this is the current/2013 situation

When i took my own application in (2011), given a receipt with time/day to collect - four working days.

Didn't bother me as we were there over a week.

2012 the agent offered evening of next-day return, so a person who didn't want to spent minimum 5 days there, that would be another saving.

Thanks for the comments regarding the use of agents. Having never used one I didn't think of the logical reasons given; time and money. I'm not sure I would be entirely comfortable handing my passport over to an unknown person though.

Just looking for some clarification regarding the issuing of Thai tourist visa's in KL.

I've seen online reports that KL sometimes requires onward travel information for Thailand before issuing TV's.

I have 3 TV's already from other consulates and am worried I might get knocked back without onward travel information.

Do any board members have advice or experience in this area?

Much thanks

Don't know what happened to my post?

Singapore definitely requires travel documentation. When I was in KL last week several people were asked to provide extra paperwork. My guess is it was travel documentation. Take it with you, if they don't ask no problems.

Edited by lujanit

i find it amazing that so many people aren't capable of filling in a pretty simple application form...

By the same token, I am amazed that some people don't appreciate that despite the published lists of what papers are required, there is always the possibility of being served by someone who has just had to deal with the drunk/arrogant/ignorant and otherwise ill-prepared applicant and they in turn could have a 'bad hair day' and have your perfectly correct stack of conformity thrown back in your face.

Being smartly dressed, polite and above all DEFERENTIAL is the key to success when dealing with any bureaucrat. You can only THINK they are a total oxygen waster AFTER you have successfully obtained whatever permit you were applying for.

Edited by NanLaew

Singapore definitely requires travel documentation. When I was in KL last week several people were asked to provide extra paperwork. My guess is it was travel documentation. Take it with you, if they don't ask no problems.

Hmm.. but to do so I would have to buy an air ticket to exit Thailand and then cancel it at a later date. Something I was hoping to avoid.

Hmm.. but to do so I would have to buy an air ticket to exit Thailand and then cancel it at a later date. Something I was hoping to avoid.

I undersand what you mean although buying a 12 month fully flexible ticket would solve the problem. Expensive option though. I have wondered if an Embassy/Consulate would accept a train ticket leaving Thailand. The problem is that you can only book within 60 days of the date of intended travel.

The OP speculates that most were there for tourist visas. Aside from the application and a couple of photos, I didn't think a lot of complicated paperwork is required. I didn't even think that an exit itinerary is required, as a lot of folks come to Thailand not really knowing where they'll go next.

I remember the first time I came here as a tourist. My plan was to stay for a few weeks then buy a bus ticket through Cambodia and into Vietnam. There's no way I could have shown an outbound bus ticket to the US Thai consulate because I hadn't bought it yet.

Edited by attrayant

Easy solution:

Book a THAI Airways ticket out of Bangkok to any international destination but select the option "pay later" then print out your interary. Select a random date about 2 months after your intended arrival and you should be fine. No need for payment since the system automatically cancels the reservation after about 72 hours. Note that other airlines don't offer this service, they ask you to pay a deposit to hold the booking. Only THAI Airways offers a free hold reservation service but only if your departure date is more than about 72 hours after you book.

Just looking for some clarification regarding the issuing of Thai tourist visa's in KL.

I've seen online reports that KL sometimes requires onward travel information for Thailand before issuing TV's.

I have 3 TV's already from other consulates and am worried I might get knocked back without onward travel information.

Much thanks

I don't recall any report of KL asking for a ticket out of the country.

Visa denials reported for KL were for multiple visas issued there.

You should not have a problem getting a single entry tourist visa there with your visa history.

Easy solution:Book a THAI Airways ticket out of Bangkok to any international destination but select the option "pay later" then print out your interary. Select a random date about 2 months after your intended arrival and you should be fine. No need for payment since the system automatically cancels the reservation after about 72 hours. Note that other airlines don't offer this service, they ask you to pay a deposit to hold the booking. Only THAI Airways offers a free hold reservation service but only if your departure date is more than about 72 hours after you book.

Thanks for that mate!

Much thanks

I don't recall any report of KL asking for a ticket out of the country.

Visa denials reported for KL were for multiple visas issued there.

You should not have a problem getting a single entry tourist visa there with your visa history.

Cheers. Thanks for the reassurance.