Real Helmets - Ozzy

dvdlock

Hi,

Having looked at the Real Helmets website I quite like the look of the Cruiser style model called Ozzy.

Does anyone have experience with this helmet they can share or recommend any similar brand/model with a similar style.

I would like a helmet with removable liner but although not a must.

Appreciated.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

My wife and I have been using Real helmets for about 4 years. They're very well made, affordable and look great. They are not the same as the crap Index pass off as helmets. MY only critisism, is that the full face helmet I bought was a tad short (front to back) because I have a rather fine nose. My wife will be ordering a modular helmet from them soon, as her full-face jobbie is a bit old now and the eejit keeps on dropping it.

I am using the Real Ozzy now for about 3 months.

I can mention only 3 PROs, but those are very important to me:

• it fits my head
  • it has a ECE-certificate, so I hope I have better chances in a crash
  • the chin strap is fitted with a ratchet buckle (sp.) so you can tighten the strap without adjusting the strap itself

On the other hand I found some CONs:

• I removed the pads next to the chin, because they are blocking the airflow, getting to hot here in Thailand
  • The visor is to short. It is only protecting the eyes, not the lower part of the face including nose and mouth which allows all the dirt and insects to come in contact with me
  • The sun visor is almost useless. A low sun is still too bright through the sun visor but it is difficult to see the dark details on the road.
    It would be better if it is blocking the sunlight completely, but only in a narrow angle upwards.
    On the positive side: pressing a button on the left side and the sun visor disappears immediately
  • I always thought a helmet cannot leave your head when the chin strap is tightened.
    With only a little force I can pull the Ozzy from my head lifting up from the neck.
    I think the helmet shell is a little bit to short at the back of the head.

That said I will continue with this helmet. It is very comfortable when driving and I got used to the disadvantages.

• Like 1

We have two Real Ozzie helmets. When I got mine I used to taunt my girlfriend by pulling down the helmets dark visor while driving the bike. She had a pretty new full coverage Index helmet but I had read in this forum that the Real helmets were much safer in the event of a crash so I ponied up and got her one as well. Although I still use my Rayban sunglasses while driving during daylight hours I will often use the dark visor which is kept tucked in out of the way from dust and dirt when it's not being used. The helmet fits a lot better than my previous Index helmet so that when I'm driving at relatively high speeds it never starts moving around my head or threatens to come off. Also as previously mentioned the ratchet mechanism makes it so much easier and quicker to adjust the strap for tightness. At 1800 to 2000 baht getting one of these is a great investment as the helmet is light years ahead of similar models from Index and it's probably a lot better than many much more expensive helmets from other companies.

Thanks for the feedback eveeyone.

Mausbiber, can you tell me if the Ozzy has a removable lining.

Anyone know of any other brand/model in a similar cruiser style.

Cheers.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have been using my Ozzy for nearly 3 years now and it is still comfortable though sometimes at the end of a hot day it wants to get away from hot sweaty me. I give the lining a wash now and again with liquid soap and Dettol and let it dry naturally in the sun.

The dark visor isn't too bad unless you are heading dierectly towards the sun.

I find the clear visor a bit short as in the evenings there are quite a few bugs hitting the lower part of my face.

I do like the ease of putting it onwhile wearing my glasses which is something I cannot do with my full face Index helmet which is a "snug" fit.

I probably wouldn't buy another now there is the LS2 flip front helmet but they were not available at the time.

AFAIAC the Ozzy is a good value, well made helmet and worth the money.

However I was out today and the thing it lacks the most is air conditioning. I was on my Phantom and I felt like a lobster being broiled. A/C in the helmet would have been great.

I am using the Real Ozzy now for about 3 months.

I can mention only 3 PROs, but those are very important to me:

• it fits my head
  • it has a ECE-certificate, so I hope I have better chances in a crash
  • the chin strap is fitted with a ratchet buckle (sp.) so you can tighten the strap without adjusting the strap itself

On the other hand I found some CONs:

• I removed the pads next to the chin, because they are blocking the airflow, getting to hot here in Thailand
  • The visor is to short. It is only protecting the eyes, not the lower part of the face including nose and mouth which allows all the dirt and insects to come in contact with me
  • The sun visor is almost useless. A low sun is still too bright through the sun visor but it is difficult to see the dark details on the road.

It would be better if it is blocking the sunlight completely, but only in a narrow angle upwards.

On the positive side: pressing a button on the left side and the sun visor disappears immediately

• I always thought a helmet cannot leave your head when the chin strap is tightened.

With only a little force I can pull the Ozzy from my head lifting up from the neck.

I think the helmet shell is a little bit to short at the back of the head.

That said I will continue with this helmet. It is very comfortable when driving and I got used to the disadvantages.

We have had our Ozzy's for almost a year I guess.

For your cons, I always wear a facemask around my mouth and nose anyway, should I ever ride without one I can literally chew the pollution. (BKK)

I also always wear large sunglasses, or cheap plastic glasses if it's evening or night-time (the ones you get for 100-200b in a supermarket stall.

Two of those cons solved. :)