Really, How Bad Is It Likely To Be Over Songkran

Gweiloman

I would like some good, constructive and objective advise advice about the riding conditions on the roads over the Songkran period.

Over Christmas / New Year last year, together with my other half, I did a 3,600 km loop starting from Bangkok, heading out towards Ubon, turning North to Udon, onto Phu Chi Fah, Chiang Khong, Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Pai, MHS, Mae Sariang, Mae Sot and back to Bangkok. It remains one of the best holidays of my life (and that includes skiing in Mt. Buller to Meribel to Aspen as well as sailing the BT Challenger to Isle of Wight).

This songkran however, the other half is away overseas till June and I'm stumped as to how to spend my Songkran holidays. Was thinking of getting on the Versys and riding up to Nan and thereabouts but I'm a little concerned with all the alarmist reports of how dangerous the roads are going to be.

What's the general consensus here guys and gals? Should I go for it? Any one interested to join me?

Edited by Gweiloman

I would imagine that on the highways you'll be fine. Just be a bit more careful when heading into towns. Generally though, I find that up country they are not as crazy when compared to Bkk, Pattaya or Chiang Mai. Yes they still throw water but are not as reckless towards people that are clearly not taking part.

I haven't been everywhere though, so some people may know more than me.

from previous limited experience, the main roads are not too bad, but going through villages and towns would not be fun, but everywhere celebrates on different days, some 2 days, some a week, may be you could plan a dry route!

Even in the busy town of Pai the celebration is much more subdued, and with much more considerate behavior than you'll find in Chiang Mai (no ice water, no splashing b4 dawn or once it's getting close to dusk, no huge forceful buckets while riding by on a motorcycle). Pai, Chiang Dao, Wat Chan and Mae Sarieng are places we've enjoyed Songkran for a couple days away from Chiang Mai. Slow down and move over far to the left if an on coming truck shows the slightest sign of carrying a crowd, and the possible bucket of water coming your way at combined speeds. Also watch out for teens on the road side, there skill with a bucket hitting a speeding motorcycle is outstandingly accurate. I've only spent 8 Songkrans in Thailand, and greatly enjoy this holiday in the smaller towns - sure beats a 4 plus hour crawling loop around the moat in the truck (would never do that again).

The roads are quiet, and most other travelers are in a great mood, it is really is a nice time to travel. Heck, the heaviest highway traffic, and general craziness was one time my son and I rode from Bangkok to Chiang Mai a couple of days before the new year.

everybody told me is shoudlnt ride during songkran. Once i did it was pretty nice cause not much traffic espcially BKK can be a nice playground during songkran if you avoid water splashing areas. But in genreal during these days less traffic than usual so espcially on country road or highways it should be fine.

Or you are prepared to get wet wink.png

Edited by Hili

I rode to Tak from Chiang Mai last year I was only hit one time by a guy in the middle of no where. I had no problem in Tak and on the way back to Chiang Mai I would wave the splashers off and when I rode by they would sprinkle a small amount of water at me. When I arrived in Seraphi another story altogether total crazy along the rode but just barly moving so no problem with a crash

i rode during Songkran many times and on main roads no problems but secondary roads, it is getting more wet.

And if you will be away from touristic areas like Pattaya, Chiang Mai etc where tourist and thais degenerate the Songkran, i think no problems.

A full face helmet is a must though and drive more slowly and carefully than a normal day and try not to drive after sunset if possible as this is the time all policemen disappear and the drunk drivers start to lurk around during Songkran on their trucks.

Thanks for all the advice gents. It's pretty much as I thought, the main highways should be ok, city streets should be avoided as much as possible. I don't mind being doused though I would want to make sure that I can see it coming first and slow right down and let myself be soaked - it's no worse than riding in an heavy rain. I guess a lot of the accidents happen when the motorcyclist tries to avoid being doused and then losing control of the bike due to a combination of wet surface and wrong throttle control.

Drunk drivers are another thing but then we see many of them everyday on the roads anyway.

Take care all

everybody told me is shoudlnt ride during songkran. Once i did it was pretty nice cause not much traffic espcially BKK can be a nice playground during songkran if you avoid water splashing areas. But in genreal during these days less traffic than usual so espcially on country road or highways it should be fine.

Or you are prepared to get wet wink.png

Not much traffic? Maybe wherever you are but here in Hua Hin the roads get jammed with cars and people in general. There is a lot of water throwing but it does seem to stop when dusk arrives, and it only goes on for 2-3 days. On my first year here during Songkran I fell onto a glass bottle and ended up cutting my hand open in 9 places, I had shards of glass in it. So I had to get to the hospital and after a one of the people I was with at the time, a Thai girl decided to pour beer over my wounds blink.png I was on a motorbike heading for the hospital with blood pouring out of my hand. I had to raise it up and show everyone that I was bleeding and they were not to throw water on us, but still some people did.

This year I planned to leave as I have come to dislike the entire festival, but like last year that plan has failed. I may get a plane to Nongkai or quickly hop over to Cambodia if I can, but I am not going outside for 3 days if I stay in HH.

Edited by TomTom55

Everything in life is about one's attitude to risk. I was a mad b-stard until i was 50, and invited risk in all forms. Now i'm an old git, i avoid it like the plague, and i don't go out during Songkran during daylight hours, and then after dark i ditch the bike and either walk or take the car. Risk can be a turn-on; a necessary element of something unavoidable; or something to hide from - i'm in the last category now and happy with that.

Edited by lookingeast
  • Like 1

I would consider the hypothesis that the highway slaughter during Songkraan (undoubtedly under-reported) includes a large number of deaths related to heavy traffic, and drunken-driving, not just water-throwing. Very heavy road-traffic, as workers in distant cities, like Bangkok, take cars, buses, minivans, trucks, etc., home before the festival, and return to work, after. And, of course, drunken joy-riders on every type of vehicle.

Songkraan is the one festival of the year where every Thai wants to go home to the village; that's why I find Bangkok so pleasant, in general, during Songkraan: half the population are gone, virtually no traffic jams, and usually cooler than Chiang Mai at that time most years.

I would also consider the very high air pollution index scores for PM-10 reported for Nan this year: extremely unhealthy, much higher than the worst rates for Chiang Mai, on average. See: http://www.aqmthai.com/

good luck, ~o:37;

Talk about overreaction..

Couple of days before New Year, I read a post on some forum somewhere.. some guy said he won't go 'outside' during the celebration, because last time some Thai kids where throwing some firecrackers around him and his wife.

That was the most absurd thing I ever read in my life, and this Songkran topic.. (although It's understandable to take some logical precautions, like being careful on a motorbike and such) is almost the same.

I'm wondering at what time having some fun with water became a day when you not go outside or you leave the country.

No wonder people are <deleted> in the head.

Couple of days before New Year, I read a post on some forum somewhere.. some guy said he won't go 'outside' during the celebration, because last time some Thai kids where throwing some firecrackers around him and his wife.

That was the most absurd thing I ever read in my life, and this Songkran topic.. (although It's understandable to take some logical precautions, like being careful on a motorbike and such) is almost the same.

I'm wondering at what time having some fun with water became a day when you not go outside or you leave the country.

There are plenty of people who I know and have seen saying over the years and this year that they do not wish to take part in the festival. They either wish to find somewhere peaceful and quiet or leave the country and take a short vacation, what is wrong with that? Everyone has their opinion and what they like or don't like. I do not wish to be around drunken people throwing water on me if I need to go to the store or bank for whatever reason, I would like some peace and quiet, so I either go and find that or I remind indoors, it is not a difficult task as I work from home anyway.. You may be surprised, aalek at ho wmany people would like to leave for the duration of Songkran.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the advice gents. It's pretty much as I thought, the main highways should be ok, city streets should be avoided as much as possible. I don't mind being doused though I would want to make sure that I can see it coming first and slow right down and let myself be soaked - it's no worse than riding in an heavy rain. I guess a lot of the accidents happen when the motorcyclist tries to avoid being doused and then losing control of the bike due to a combination of wet surface and wrong throttle control.

Drunk drivers are another thing but then we see many of them everyday on the roads anyway.

Take care all

You will see people including children on the side of the road with buckets and hoses. You are watching them and suddenly a pickup drives past and throughs water. This can be dangerous.

Thanks for the update. I am sure that your advice will be welcomed with opened arms. Have fun at Songkran. Don't look for me. Kids bore me.

For me, the percentage of drunks on the road (high at the best of times) increases to the point where I stay off my bike- the drinking starts especially early on Songkran and usually lasts for days- there's too much out of my control (with people literally targeting you) to make it worth it.

Luckily I am a velodrome rider so instead of 2 days a week on the velodrome in Chiang Mai - I'll be there everyday to avoid the nasty mayhem that is called Songkran. Absolutely hate it. The worst offenders I find are drunken farangs around the moat in Chiang Mai; I was riding home last year, close to my house, when two (sober) American youths threw a bucket of dirty water over me after I had clearly indicated that I wanted no water. I stopped turned back round and ...... (continued on post 342)

Edited by ianf

I didn't give an advice. So there's nothing to be welcomed, but the advice should be something like - "use common sense a bit more then at non-holiday days". And that should be enough, for an advice. Unless there are 'kids' around that have difficulty understanding the term common sense. Grown up people shouldn't have any problems understanding it.

As far as hiding and running away commentary goes... ofc everybody have a right to an opinion. The point was - relax. It's a 3day long water splashing event or whatever.. so enjoy.

Good for breaking a routine a bit. And I say enjoy, not because you should, but because you don't have any other option (unless you hide/run away).

Take care all

You will see people including children on the side of the road with buckets and hoses. You are watching them and suddenly a pickup drives past and throughs water. This can be dangerous.

Depends on who's driving the pick up! If it was me, no probs.

Edited by lostinisaan

Best part of Songkran: the scowling senior farang male walking along giving an enthusiastic nazi salute to anyone with a bucket or water pistol. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Come, your out in daylight in the center of a Thai city during Songhran, game on. I know of one local business owner near the moat that keeps a bucket of beer dregs, and other assorted left overs from the days drinking, for just such a customer.

Happy new year

One of my friends saw the motorcyclist in front of his bike collide with a cement electricity pylon in what looked like a fatal collision after being pelted in the face with a bucket of water over Songkran a couple of years back. I nearly went under a truck in Hua Hin after getting a bucket of water and ice cubes in my face on my push bike once.

Nothing much to worry about. All good clean Sanook.

If you make it up here to Nan, come and say hello to the rest of the foreigners at Tony's place and then enjoy some of the best biking roads in Thailand that are here in the Nan province. To get here ride careful and slow and as others have said expect everyone else on the road to be drunk. The standard of driving here in Nan province is atrocious at the best of times so be ready to take evasive action should you need to, also be ready to meet some genuinely friendly people.