Toyota Avanza Underslung Donut Lpg Tank

We wanted to convert our 5 year old Avanza to lpg.

We were going to get it done at Autobacs. They told us we could have an underslung donut but on the day we took it for fitting they changed their minds and told us that it was illegal and we could only have the big cylinder in the back which meant removing the back seats permanently. As we didn't want to lose our back seats, we said no thanks.

Now we have found a deal on Groupon and on contacting the garage, they said it's no problem to fit the donut underneath, they will also fit a crash bar and it's not illegal.

Does anybody have any idea who is right? Trying to get definitive answers on stuff like this in LOS is a nightmare!!

When your car is 7 years old it will have to be inspected as do all cars/trucks etc.. LPG equipped vehicles ( at least my salesman's did) need a signed inspection certificate from a professional engineer, to say that the installation safe and the tank etc. are properly installed.

My understanding is that the LPG tank needs to be a minimum of 18" from the rear bumper. I know nothing about this crash bar.

I guess you can do this wherever you live but in BKK the office near Chatuchuk has an inspection bay I am sure the guys there know what the rules are. I am not sure about the test centre on Sukhumvit as I never looked for an inspection bay

Don't put any gas tank in the car, period. You do NOT know what might rear end you and make you and yours toast. sad.png

Pray Sir, why not.

Putting a petrol tank in your car is much more dangerous.

A LPG tank, installed as it should be, is a very safe thing to have in your car, simply becaus the pressure in the tank in so low.

Also, the tank can not be mounted at the rear end of your car in the safety zone, or crumple zone

A CNG tank, on the other hand, is another thing altogether.

The pressure is very high, which makes it a potential bomb.

That said, you probably have no idea what gas tanks in cars are designed to withstand.

There's always Hongtong Autogas - check their youtube video out:

The description reads:
New Innova 2012 LPG gas tank 43 liters Oda nuts placed under the spare tire cover with no cutting, drilling, welding the rear bumper of the vehicle over a distance of 20 cm (the Law).
This might be a good start; I like the way they wrap the tank in a tire. Edited by aussiebebe