Songkran Traffic

nikster

The Thai family does not want to travel on songkran. Anyone know when the really bad days are, eg the worst traffic out of and into bkk? Songkran is officially from the 13 th - 17th but traffic presumably starts before and also songkran is on different dates around the country...

Official dates are April 13,14,15. But because 13/14 are Saturday/Sunday, 16/17 are also public holidays (substitution days). Roads will be extremely crowded till at least April 18. Once I drove back from Buriram to Hua Hin on April 16, I'll never do it again. The Buriram-Bangkok leg I made on an average 30 km per hour, saw lots of accidents, difficult to find parking space at gas stations. The Bangkok-Hua Hin leg was better, but still absolutely no normal conditions.

• Like 1

Just to give you and idea I got a taxi from BKK on Tuesday for a journey home of about 4 hour's. We got to talking about S/K and the driver told me he would have to do almost the same trip with his family over the S/K period and he wasn't looking forward to it, as last year it took him over 13 hour's one way.

• Like 1

Jeez OK, thanks, yeah I need reminders every now and then, one forgets.... 1M people leaving BKK the returning a few days later....

I guess Wednesday the 10th should still be OK to go back to CM from Hua Hin. Hua Hin - BKK traffic is currently bad even during normal weekdays...

I figure some will leave early on thursday and Friday to avoid traffic.

Edited by nikster

An idea would be to travel over a two day span

Travelling early in the morning will be a lot better

Go say from Hua Hin to half way point on morning of day one

Stay in a hotel or one night

Day two get up early and finish it off

Travel anytime from Noon to midnight before during and after Songkran is pure madness

Travel anytime from Noon to midnight before during and after Songkran is pure madness

Depends how early in the morning you are talking. If after 6 am it can be very bad too. I reckon the only time you can be sure to avoid it is after midnight and before sunrise.

Depends how early in the morning you are talking. If after 6 am it can be very bad too. I reckon the only time you can be sure to avoid it is after midnight and before sunrise.

It really is not that bad. This year I'm staying home, but last few years have been driving, last year from Phuket to past Bangkok on 11 April. Daytime ride with no problems at all, just a bit stop/start around Bangkok for 1/2 hour, also due to roadworks.

Thanks everyone.

Avoided any and all traffic by leaving Hua Hin Sunday at 5:30 am. We passed BKK between 7 and 8 am but no issues there either thanks to it being a Sunday, so no commute traffic. Streets were not empty, mind you, it's Bangkok, but no holdups. 10 hours total to Chiang Mai with plenty of stops (kids in car). One speeding ticket from an automated camera between HH and BKK. Not too bad, really.

Edited by nikster