Where To Fix Macbook Rawai Area

stevehaigh

the subject says it all really, my macbook doesn't boot, ? and grey screen of death, not even a boot options menu. its old, no guarantee

where would you take it? apple shop in central or somewhere local in rawai? banana it isn't interested, i already tried

i know nothing about macs, this is my first one (bought cheap on ebay) so not a great start

Probably a hard drive failure. Do you have a backup drive or an operating system DVD to try to startup from? What year model is it? There is an authorized Apple repair shop in Phuket Town. It's called Phuket Alpha Engineering. Their number is: 07-621-5796. Their repairs are a bit pricey though.

Link here: http://www.phuketalpha.com/index.html

Edited by Jimi007
  • Like 1

What about the English Computer Man just before the circle?

i've seen that place but i don't know if he does macs or is reasonably priced

its a

Apple MacBook Pro A1211 15" Core 2 Duo 2.3GHz 2GB 120GB Hard Drive

This auction will contain qty 1 Apple

A1211 MacBook Pro. This item has been tested and in working condition

and will come with a 14 day D.O.A warranty.

but its not worth sending it back to the US, better just fix it here and i expect a HD replace can't be that expensive

Phuket Alpha. It's where the Apple shop sends their stuff for repair.

They have a location at Central next to the Canon service place nearby the small phone shops. Also at Big C opposite KFC, and in town on Thalang Rd.

Tel: 076-249-750 (Central location)

Email: <removed>

I had a really good experience with them, they know their stuff, and good english too.

Edited by LivinginKata
removed as per forum rules

its a

but its not worth sending it back to the US, better just fix it here and i expect a HD replace can't be that expensive

I should add Steve, re: Phuket Alpha, that the guy there told me they have trouble here in Thailand getting parts for older machines. So if it's really dated you may have a problem.

Probably best to email or call them first.

its a

Sounds like it might be a 2008 model. There should be a latch on the bottom that opens the door to the battery and hard drive. Hopefully it's just the HD as a new logic board wouldn't be worth the money to replace. It's easy to test if you have a bootable external drive or bootable system DVD.

its 2006 but i expect its something simple like something loose in shipping. the ebay ad said its ok and if not, i just get a paypal refund

thanks iSabai, i'll try the alpha in big C tomorrow after i hear back from the seller

its 2006 but i expect its something simple like something loose in shipping. the ebay ad said its ok and if not, i just get a paypal refund

thanks iSabai, i'll try the alpha in big C tomorrow after i hear back from the seller

I'd be interested to hear how you made out, if you can post it here.

I'd be interested to hear how you made out, if you can post it here.

Steve just came by my house and it doesn't recognize the internal hard drive. It booted of my external firewire drive though. So now he's off to Phuket Alpha Engineering.

2006!!!A computer year is equal to at least two normal years. That computer is positively ancient.Get a cheap note-book instead, a 2006 computer isn't worth spending money on.

HAve to agree with that. Spare parts, memory, chip sets no longer available after a few years. I change out my PCs after 3 years or at least upgrade memory etc while it's still available.

2006!!!A computer year is equal to at least two normal years. That computer is positively ancient.Get a cheap note-book instead, a 2006 computer isn't worth spending money on.

HAve to agree with that. Spare parts, memory, chip sets no longer available after a few years. I change out my PCs after 3 years or at least upgrade memory etc while it's still available.

True that LiK. Add to that, the climate here ages electronics even quicker I think. I've a friend who swears by his six y/o Acer notebook (that he's always got problems with but, "hey it's just fine!"). Hope he's got his important stuff backed up.

My MacBook Pro is 4 years old. It had the extended Apple Care warranty as I bought it used. Before the warranty expired, I had the logic board, the battery and HDD replaced for free. I put 8 GB of RAM in it and it works great still. It should, it like new again! Steve bought his off of eBay. The HDD died during shipping to Thailand. He's told me he's decided to return it to the seller.

phuket alpha confirmed its the HDD drive. they told me 6500baht for a new HDD! OMG, i can get on one ebay for $80, that's about 2400 baht. also they said 1600 baht service charge to put it in, same thing on a pc about 300 baht, i guess mac's are expensive

anyhow, the ebay seller is going to replace it so no problem

i'm not a mac user so i don't want to spend a lot on one. i just need one to port my pc app to mac and ipad

phuket alpha confirmed its the HDD drive. they told me 6500baht for a new HDD! OMG, i can get on one ebay for $80, that's about 2400 baht. also they said 1600 baht service charge to put it in, same thing on a pc about 300 baht, i guess mac's are expensive

anyhow, the ebay seller is going to replace it so no problem

i'm not a mac user so i don't want to spend a lot on one. i just need one to port my pc app to mac and ipad

Yeah, Alpha does charge a service fee to look at your stuff. But I found they were honest & fair, and helpful in my case. They did replace a device that was under warranty from Apple USA for me at no charge though. I was really happy about that!

Thx for the update, good luck with the computer.

• 3 weeks later...

Had my MacBook in alpha a few weeks ago after numerous problems including crashing freezing and just switching off when it wanted to. Alpha had it a week and told me it was full of dust inside but they've cleaned it, updated it and now its fine. The problem continued and I came back to the uk on Monday so took it to the apple store, they had it a couple of hours then called me to say that there are few parts that need replacing. I always thought alpha were good and seemed knowledgeable but after this I'm not so sure I would bother with them again.

Had my MacBook in alpha a few weeks ago after numerous problems including crashing freezing and just switching off when it wanted to. Alpha had it a week and told me it was full of dust inside but they've cleaned it, updated it and now its fine. The problem continued and I came back to the uk on Monday so took it to the apple store, they had it a couple of hours then called me to say that there are few parts that need replacing. I always thought alpha were good and seemed knowledgeable but after this I'm not so sure I would bother with them again.

What were the few parts that they said need replacing? Alpha is the only Apple authorized service place on Phuket for warranty work. Steve's computer was out of warranty. He replaced the HDD and then came over to my house and we installed 10.7.5. I guess it works as it booted from the new internal drive when we were done.

I know it's the only authorised service place, I've still got 5 months AppleCare left so everything's been done under the warranty in Phuket and over here. Apparently I need a new logic board and display. I'm not sure why I need a display but that's what they said in the message they left. When they ran the diagnostics it was showing the computer had no Ram and in theory it shouldn't even of started up. why doesn't Thailand have a proper Apple shop? I'm not even sure there's an actual Apple store in Bkk

I know it's the only authorised service place, I've still got 5 months AppleCare left so everything's been done under the warranty in Phuket and over here. Apparently I need a new logic board and display. I'm not sure why I need a display but that's what they said in the message they left. When they ran the diagnostics it was showing the computer had no Ram and in theory it shouldn't even of started up. why doesn't Thailand have a proper Apple shop? I'm not even sure there's an actual Apple store in Bkk

Logic board replacement seems to be the way they fix anything under warranty. I had mine replaced twice. Apple Inc. owns all the Apple Stores in the US and most other countries. Something about Thai business laws is my guess as to why there aren't any real Apple Stores in Thailand?

• 2 weeks later...