Chalerm: Immigration Bureau Needs To Implement Tougher Screening On Foreign Arrivals

webfact

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

APEC countries, including Thailand, agreed to implement the Advance Passenger Information (API) System that is specifically designed, among other security issues, for counter terrorism. Do not know the current status of this project or if it incorporates alert lists from other countries outside of the region.

In 2001, APEC leaders issued a Counter Terrorism statement, part of which called on APEC economies to establish cooperation to develop electronic movement records systems that will enhance border security while ensuring movement of legitimate travellers is not disrupted. The implementation of API systems across the Asia-Pacific region would significantly enhance regional security and for this reason APEC leaders have endorsed API systems as an effective counter-terrorism measure and 'Pathfinder Initiative'.

http://www.immi.gov.au/managing-australias-borders/border-security/systems/api.htm

the americans are trying very hard to bring bad attention to Thailand. This country unlike usa has no enemies. Why are the americans trying to turn the floodlights on Thailand? Maybe because the arab tourists stop going to american and thailand has become a popular tourist spot for them. I am not fond of arabs but they usually make far less trouble here then most farlangs.

Just returned to thailand from an eight day visit to Cambodia, what a joy pleased to see you anxious to grant on arrival visa ASAP welcomed by immigration oh so different, return to thailand with proper marriage visa extension and greeted like we really are not welcome hvae to renew later this year expect again more hasstle, I support about ten people in thailand and still not welcome not complaining because if you do not like it leave as I was told by one immigration official, I choose to live here and most of the time so long as I satay away from immigration I am very happy

Ok, the oft-reported "If you don't like it then leave" p-sses off my logical brain 1000%. Said by Thais i couldn't give a sh-t, but it's also said by a LOT of TV members attacking other TV members, so i am going to include it in a new post about ILLOGICAL things said on the forum or outside it..later. If you examine the Logic of "If you don't like it then leave" and then extend it to life in general, you'll soon see that it is the format for all kinds of Fascism and Totalitarianism. The idea that each and every instance of Critique means that the critic has to leave the criticised entity simply clashes against everything that rational democratic culture is based on. What's more - if that rule was enforced in the field of marital relations, the divorce-courts would grind to a halt in a week with the massive influx of business !!!

No point getting into an argument over logic here. But to keep it short: How would you feel if you had some guests staying with you, and they constantly complained about your house (and even called you and your family ignorant and dishonest)? And how many of us, when back in our home countries, would be ok with immigrants complaining about how we run our country (and referring to us as ignorant and dishonest)? There's nothing wrong with constructively and concretely suggesting how things could be improved. But too often here the comments cross the line to being quite insulting to Thailand, the Thai people, and various constituencies here.

Funny part, well two funny parts, is (1) a lot of Thais agree their government is ignorant and dishonest, are too polite or subservient to say anything and often what is said here is what they are thinking? And (2) if you haven't noticed, a couple of prevalent countries for many Thai expats do indeed have immigrants complaining about how the ignorant, dishonest and racist government run the country and what's worse, many of those ignorant, dishonest officials have no spine and are rolled right over by it. Might be a little post traumatic stress, or just stress watching your homeland change before your very eyes, manifesting itself in the sort of comments noted.

I agree with you though, it's needless because it is pointless in this or any venue. Many folks have more time than money on their hands. What to do. Retirement's a bitch! coffee1.gif

the americans are trying very hard to bring bad attention to Thailand. This country unlike usa has no enemies. Why are the americans trying to turn the floodlights on Thailand? Maybe because the arab tourists stop going to american and thailand has become a popular tourist spot for them. I am not fond of arabs but they usually make far less trouble here then most farlangs.

cheesy.gif

It should have been implemented years ago, tougher visa regulations, ie criminal history checks would be a good start. Perhaps a linked computer to Interpol to cross check as well

They are talking about weeding out the terrorists here.. Not trying to catch some yahoo ducking his child support checks. As everybody in the world knows, the terrorists usually comes in an Middle Eastern flavor. So, wouldn't it not be prudent to pay a little more attention to someone who either came from somewhere in the Middle East or has a slightly arab look? PC be damned. I doubt if some pale skinned, overweight, balding xxxxxx from Wales is going to be a terrorist threat. coffee1.gif

Edited by metisdead
Vulgarity removed.
  • Like 1

Yeah this will piss the tourists off even more, and lets face it for the land of smiles i dont think ive ever seen one at thai immigration !!

Oh how unfair. I have seen them smile. Usually when they tell someone their visa is expired; they have overstay; they need to pay; they have to get out right now, today; as they close the doors for lunch, watching people who have been there hours; home-time ... the list is endless, so I think you are rather unfair.

giggle.gif

It should have been implemented years ago, tougher visa regulations, ie criminal history checks would be a good start. Perhaps a linked computer to Interpol to cross check as well

They are talking about weeding out the terrorists here.. Not trying to catch some yahoo ducking his child support checks. As everybody in the world knows, the terrorists usually comes in an Middle Eastern flavor. So, wouldn't it not be prudent to pay a little more attention to someone who either came from somewhere in the Middle East or has a slightly arab look? PC be damned. I doubt if some pale skinned, overweight, balding xxxxxx from Wales is going to be a terrorist threat. coffee1.gif

Ok and what is wrong with that?

Was not it not so long ago when some Iranians tried to set off a few bombs?

I honestly do not see a problem with increased security and precautions to ensure peoples safety.

Currently Osama could have walked through the customs and they would not even know it

And it took a report by the FBI to 'enlighten' this government that Thailand is a soft target for terrorists???cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Unbelievable!

More worryingly, and this is a trend Thailand seems to follow, if the US tell Thailand to do something, Muang Thai will bend over backwards to accommodate, excuse the pun.

• Like 1

The Americans are, huh. Thailand has no enemies huh. Then why does Thailand have an average of 3.5 terrorist attacks per day since 2004, with 5,000 killed and 11.000 severely wounded? The US has NONE since 9/11. Thailand welcomes terrorists and the US rejects them, and you think that means that the terrorists don't want to get into the US and do damage?

Farangs make more trouble than "Arabs" (sic)? Brush up on your knowledge of "Arab" and "Muslim countries."

Farangs have killed more than 5,000 people and severely injured another 11,000 since 2004 in Thailand? They have, huh? Islamic terrorists have, right in good old Thailand.

I can't even believe you can say such things, much less think them.

Who do the United States think they are ?

Deal with the internal problems of a foreign nation. Thailand has always been proud to be the only nation in Southeast Asia which has not been colionalized.

But they just doing as the USA require. Because of these imperialists Americans, we will have to be subjected to a body search on arrival. A reason why I don't go to America, but impose that there, it's a scandal !

They should rather clean the mess at their home with all the xxxx, rifle massacres there before interfere in things that are none their business !

The last time I was in Bangkok, I saw a chap with his wallet hanging out of his pocket on the airport train and warned him.

Does that mean I was meddling in his business and should have kept my opinions to myself?

Deal with the internal problems of a foreign nation. Thailand has always been proud to be the only nation in Southeast Asia which has not been colionalized.

But they just doing as the USA require. Because of these imperialists Americans, we will have to be subjected to a body search on arrival. A reason why I don't go to America, but impose that there, it's a scandal !

They should rather clean the mess at their home with all the xxxx, rifle massacres there before interfere in things that are none their business !

You certainly are not very good on reading ability. "Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung plans to set up an anti-terror center, following the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)’s report that Thailand is one of the region’s most vulnerable terrorist targets."

It was a report, dummy. Just wondering if anyone has every accused you of being intelligent? Just curious if you somehow you think your life would be better if Russia or China were the number 1 world leader? Unfortunately you may just find out in your lifetime what it is like under China's lead. Coming to you very soon. Can you speak Mandarin?

Well there is another way to look at it.

"Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung plans to set up an

anti-terror center, following the US Federal Bureau of Investigation

(FBI)’s report that Thailand is one of the region’s most vulnerable

terrorist targets."

The FBI thinks Thais are to stupid to realize what is going on.

We know Chalerm Yubamrung is.

Just saying

I am not taking sides on it.

Edited by hellodolly

If you listen to the FBI, there is a boogieman around every corner. They ought to know since the FBI, CIA, NSA, etc are the top terror organizations on the planet.

Fear mongers, the lot of them. Just more BS to instill fear into people to maintain control.

What planet are you on.

It is not BS makes no difference where the information comes from it is a fact of life here in Thailand. So far we have been lucky enough that they keep it in the South but that is no guarantee they won't move North. Get enough sympathizers like you to cover up for them and they will come.

And so again do we have the Americans to "put the noses" in everything again and to dictate countrys what to do...

They are like mosqitos, everywhere...

And so again we have those creatures that live under bridges... What are they called again?

Anyway what we were discussing, the Lerm been on the soup again has he? Never mind, he'll have it fixed within 90 days!

Just returned to thailand from an eight day visit to Cambodia, what a joy pleased to see you anxious to grant on arrival visa ASAP welcomed by immigration oh so different, return to thailand with proper marriage visa extension and greeted like we really are not welcome hvae to renew later this year expect again more hasstle, I support about ten people in thailand and still not welcome not complaining because if you do not like it leave as I was told by one immigration official, I choose to live here and most of the time so long as I satay away from immigration I am very happy

Ok, the oft-reported "If you don't like it then leave" p-sses off my logical brain 1000%. Said by Thais i couldn't give a sh-t, but it's also said by a LOT of TV members attacking other TV members, so i am going to include it in a new post about ILLOGICAL things said on the forum or outside it..later. If you examine the Logic of "If you don't like it then leave" and then extend it to life in general, you'll soon see that it is the format for all kinds of Fascism and Totalitarianism. The idea that each and every instance of Critique means that the critic has to leave the criticised entity simply clashes against everything that rational democratic culture is based on. What's more - if that rule was enforced in the field of marital relations, the divorce-courts would grind to a halt in a week with the massive influx of business !!!

No point getting into an argument over logic here. But to keep it short: How would you feel if you had some guests staying with you, and they constantly complained about your house (and even called you and your family ignorant and dishonest)? And how many of us, when back in our home countries, would be ok with immigrants complaining about how we run our country (and referring to us as ignorant and dishonest)? There's nothing wrong with constructively and concretely suggesting how things could be improved. But too often here the comments cross the line to being quite insulting to Thailand, the Thai people, and various constituencies here.

Funny part, well two funny parts, is (1) a lot of Thais agree their government is ignorant and dishonest, are too polite or subservient to say anything and often what is said here is what they are thinking? And (2) if you haven't noticed, a couple of prevalent countries for many Thai expats do indeed have immigrants complaining about how the ignorant, dishonest and racist government run the country and what's worse, many of those ignorant, dishonest officials have no spine and are rolled right over by it. Might be a little post traumatic stress, or just stress watching your homeland change before your very eyes, manifesting itself in the sort of comments noted.

I agree with you though, it's needless because it is pointless in this or any venue. Many folks have more time than money on their hands. What to do. Retirement's a bitch! coffee1.gif

Well there is 66,000,000 Thais. I highly doubt they all dislike us. And for sure the vast majority don't even know about the yearly renewal and 90 day reporting. If they did they would just say so what. There are things they don't like in their own life but they except them and move on with life.

Now the real reason I am posting is because I have more time than money and am retired with a more than ample guaranteed monthly income. I enjoy my retirement it gives me time to do things I could not do when I was working. Such as reading playing games and posting on Thai Visa. It does not give me enough money to do the traveling I would like to do but it does allow me a little bit of travel. From Bali to Monglar Myanmar with a few other countries and cities in between.

It even allows me the time to go into immigration every 90 days and once a year go to my consulate and get a guaranteed letter of income and take it to immigration.

Life is good and work is another four letter word. Once I had a work dream and woke up afraid of it.

And it took a report by the FBI to 'enlighten' this government that Thailand is a soft target for terrorists???cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Unbelievable!

More worryingly, and this is a trend Thailand seems to follow, if the US tell Thailand to do something, Muang Thai will bend over backwards to accommodate, excuse the pun.

Like they did with the weather observation request?

The Americans are, huh. Thailand has no enemies huh. Then why does Thailand have an average of 3.5 terrorist attacks per day since 2004, with 5,000 killed and 11.000 severely wounded? The US has NONE since 9/11. Thailand welcomes terrorists and the US rejects them, and you think that means that the terrorists don't want to get into the US and do damage?

Farangs make more trouble than "Arabs" (sic)? Brush up on your knowledge of "Arab" and "Muslim countries."

Farangs have killed more than 5,000 people and severely injured another 11,000 since 2004 in Thailand? They have, huh? Islamic terrorists have, right in good old Thailand.

yeah you are right all muslims are terrorists and we should bomb them using drones. And those we can capture lock them up in guantamo bay style torture camps to experiment on them. That way we will eventually have peace in this dreadful world of ours

Well you may be on the right path but I think you are over doing it.

Most Muslims are not terrorists.

How ever they do tend to support them with cash and they are very reluctant to tell authorities who is doing it and where they live.

yeah you are right all muslims are terrorists and we should bomb them using drones. And those we can capture lock them up in guantamo bay style torture camps to experiment on them. That way we will eventually have peace in this dreadful world of ours

Well you may be on the right path but I think you are over doing it.

Most Muslims are not terrorists.

How ever they do tend to support them with cash and they are very reluctant to tell authorities who is doing it and where they live.

that maybe because they are being targeted.

What are you raving about you goof. The US isn't telling the Thai's to do anything, the FBI is just stating that it ranks Thailand as a serious target for terrorists. Maybe you haven't noticed, most terrorists are Islamic, and currently Thailand is having a big problem with just such a group down south. There isn't much stopping a terrorist from coming up to BKK to set off a bomb, it's not like Thailand has any great intelligence infrastructure to track and thwart terrorists.

Also, I suspect the reason you don't go to America (which by the way is not a country) is because you cannot get a visa to enter the USA.

and how K. Chalerm thinks he will do that ? by keeping tourists longer for police interrogation ? so instead of 45 minutes queuing that will make one and half hour ? what a great move ....... whistling.gifwhistling.gif

Yes, and the terrorists will still know how to get in but genuine tourists will be denied entry - just like the Thai hookers and drug dealers know how to get visas to farang countries, while Thai spouses of citizens and genuine tourists and businessmen are denied visas.

You might consider Thaksin style solutions, much less botherwai.gif

They hate foreigners particularly caucasian never mind that the average farang supports most everyone in the village passifier.gif

It is good for America to remind Thailand in a polite way that it is lazy by comparison to Even Indonesia with regards to visible detergents to Terrorism. Indonesia had the horrible Bali bombings and also several others in Jakarta embassy areas to manage. The result has been increased stability and increased investment. Overall if Thailand can respond positively it will be a good thing in 5 years, just now it is alarming for me to be living I what America says is the hotbed of terrorism int he region. That's a big call given Indonesia's factions amongst their own folks and also the Philippines with their own macchinations. A country's intelligence service doesn't issue such notices willy-nilly. Highly embarrassing for Yingluck and no doubt also His Excellency would be none too pleased with it, however hopefully it can lead to some positive change. The current status of some Mafia groups here is really out of hand. But that's only what you see,

Must be the iceberg 10% with the other 90% passing us by blissfully on motorbikes and pickup trucks.

Edited by bangkokpoppys