Bangkok: ' Saen Saeb Tsunami' Almost Pulls Passengers Down Into The Canal

webfact

'Saen Saeb Tsunami' almost pulls passengers down into the canal
By Coconuts Bangkok

Screen-Shot-2556-04-04-at-5.42.11-PM-578

BANGKOK: -- A viral video clip named “Saen Saeb Tsunami” has raised concerns about the safety of Bangkok’s canal passengers.

The clip, composed of CCTV footage captured on Tuesday night at the Charn Issara Pier, shows passengers being hit by high waves as a result of racing between two express boats on the Saen Saeb canal.

Commenters on the video raised concerns that the waves might have caused some passengers to drown, were they to be pulled down into Saen Saeb, one of the most polluted canals in Bangkok.

Full story: http://coconutsbangkok.com/news/saen-saeb-tsunami-almost-pulls-passengers-down-into-the-canal/

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-04-05

Even if you didn't drown, you'd be in plenty of trouble if you swallowed any of that water.

About 5 years ago, Leena Jung, campaigning as a candidate for governor of Bangkok, took a dip in the Saen Saep, either accidentally or as a stunt. If the latter, it went badly wrong as one of her political advisers was apparently drowned.

The newsreader can't stop laughing after he's seen it.

I've always found the boat dudes to be reasonably safe, but I've never travelled later than about 6pm (I thought they were meant to stop after dark, anyway).

I guess some late-night racing is not impossible to imagine.

I knew buses racing on the roads , cars racing on the toll way , motorcycle racing every where .... but never heard about Saen Saep racing.... Dont tell me that those drivers are totally SANE I wouldn't believe it . The first thing they should have in mind is the safety of their passengers ... but of course this is Thailand and nobody care about passengers ......

• Like 1

BMA impoes speed limit on boat services
Thanatpong Kongsai
The Nation

30203467-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has imposed the speed limit of 20 kilometres per hour on its boat services.

"We are confident that none of our boats will be racing against each other in a bid to get more passengers," Deputy Bangkok Governor Amorn Kitchawengkul said Friday.

He was speaking in response to a widely-circulated video clip that showed two speeding big boats generated big waves that shook a pontoon at a pier so violently that all five women there fell and some almost bounced off into the water.

BMA's fleet of 10 boats, however, has serviced along one extension route only. It stretches from Wat Sri Boonrueang to Min Buri. There are other boat operators in the field.

BMA has hired Subthananakorn Limited Partnership on operating the boat services for this extension route.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-05

I used that canal for 10 years and had some close shaves with bad drivers. Used to get a rash even when getting splashed with that water. Something drastic must happen before they clean it up and make it safe. Just like the boats on the Chao Phraya before that fatal pier collapse where many people died.

Can the drivers be identified? Shouldn't an example be made? I know. TIT and all that jazz. bah.gif

The video is definitely interesting. Some of them seem more concerned about their clothes getting wet and not getting that their lives were at risk.

Edited by Jingthing

I used that canal for 10 years and had some close shaves with bad drivers. Used to get a rash even when getting splashed with that water. Something drastic must happen before they clean it up and make it safe. Just like the boats on the Chao Phraya before that fatal pier collapse where many people died.

But, but, Thailand is a developing nation, they can't be expected to manage such things. Why you talk bad Thailan, huh?

Can the drivers be identified? Shouldn't an example be made? I know. TIT and all that jazz. bah.gif

The video is definitely interesting. Some of them seem more concerned about their clothes getting wet and not getting that their lives were at risk.

Yes. Identified, licence suspended and the boat's controller has been fined. Swift action by the Marine Department.

• Like 2

SAEN SAEB CANAL
Speeding boat driver's licence suspended

Thanatpong Kongsai
The Nation

30203500-01_big.jpg
Waves generated by a speeding boat knocks down two passengers waiting for a ferry at a pier on Bangkok

The suspension will last for six months. The boat's steersman was fined Bt5,000.

BANGKOK: -- In a widely circulated clip - titled "Saen Saeb Tsunami" - from a security-camera video feed, the speeding boat kicked up big waves that swept onto the Charn Issara Pier along the Saen Saeb. Two women waiting there were knocked down by the impact. Fortunately, they did not fall into the canal's foetid waters.

The boat was operated by the Krobkrua Khonsong Co Ltd.

"We have contacted the boat operator and they will offer compensation to the affected people," Marine Department chief Sornsak Saensombat said yesterday.

Sornsak also vowed to crack down on boats racing for passengers and enforce the speed limit of 20 kilometres per hour.

"We will improve pier standards too and work closely with boat-service operators in getting quality human resources for the services," he said.

Deputy Bangkok Governor Amorn Kitchawengkul said the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA)'s own boat services in the canal were up to standard.

"We are confident that none of our boats will be racing against each other in a bid to get more passengers," Amorn said.

The BMA operates a fleet of 10 boats on an extension of the Saen Saeb commuter services, from Wat Sri Boonrueang to Min Buri.

Other operators run the boats along the other parts of the Saen Saeb, a narrow canal that provides a quick link for commuters through central Bangkok.

The BMA has hired Subthananakorn Limited Partnership to provide the boat services on its extension, which is covered by Thai United Insurance Co Ltd. Up to Bt100,000 is offered in the event of death or disability, and up to Bt15,000 in case of injuries.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-06

Good that the Marine Department acted swiftly to stop this idiocy. Racing to pick up passengers I guess because the crews income depends on how many people they pick up. If the system were changed to give them a standard income, and a bonus for being ON TIME (not ahead or behind time), then maybe that would be better. The company could (should) employ inspectors to make sure the boats are on time at the various check points throughout the system, and if running ahead of time, they must be held at that point to ensure that correctly timed services are provided - as with any professionally operated bus system.

• Like 1