Your Male/female Thai Icons?

somchai jones

Do you have a male and or female Thai 'icon'.

Funnily enough my two that immediately spring to mind are from my early years in Thailand.

The male would be that fabulous boxer and gentleman of the ring from the late eighties/early nineties, ex World Champion, Koa Sai Galaxy. I have some great memories of his bouts; living in an apartment in Laprao, soi 29, Bangkok at the time, myself, my Ozzie next door neighbour Gibbo and a collection of Thai friends, all in our mid twenties sitting round the TV, beers in hand - good times.

The female that comes to mind is that most elegant and charming Thai songstress, with a voice made in heaven and the face of an angel, Nanthida. :o

Edited by somchai jones

Funnily enough my two that immediately spring to mind are from my early years in Thailand.

The male would be that fabulous boxer and gentleman of the ring from the late eighties/early nineties, ex World Champion, Koa Sai Galaxy. I have some great memories of his bouts; living in an apartment in Laprao, soi 29, Bangkok at the time, myself, my Ozzie next door neighbour Gibbo and a collection of Thai friends, all in our mid twenties sitting round the TV, beers in hand - good times.

The female that comes to mind is that most elegant and charming Thai songstress, with a voice made in heaven and the face of an angel, Nanthida. :o

I'm trying to remember the name of the female mowlam singer, she did one CD with Bird....

I'm trying to remember the name of the female mowlam singer, she did one CD with Bird....

Remember Bird well...... the Thai Cliff Richard of pop!

Can't help with the female singer's name though..

He was one tough cookie:

Total Bouts: 50

Won: 49

Lost: 1

KOs: 43

After winning the championship title, he defended it a record 19 times (with 16 knockouts) over a 7 year stretch, before retiring as champion.

Enshrined in International Boxing Hall of Fame in 1999.

post-9005-1142388447_thumb.jpg

http://www.ibhof.com/galaxy.htm

He was one tough cookie:

After winning the championship title, he defended it a record 19 times (with 16 knockouts) over a 7 year stretch, before retiring as champion.

Thanks for that, John... brings back some good memories.

A great champion.

He was one tough cookie:

Thanks for that, John... brings back some good memories.

A great champion.

C'mon folks, surely there must be someone out there who can add to this?

Jintala Punlarp- she's been singing great morlam since she was 14, now she must be in her mid-thirties. Never married, she still has the same teenage bob hairstyle.She was engaged to the singer Arisaman, later a MP in Ratchaburi, but his mother didn't want her son married to a girl from Issan.

But for singers Pum Puang has to be an icon. What a voice! either break your heart or get you dancing, she knew over 150 songs and couldn't even read, having had to leave school in grade 2, aged 9 to work in the fields cutting sugar cane. Her cremation was presided over by Princess Sirinton.