Annual Nervousness: This Is How Joyful A Thai Military Draft Can Be

webfact

Annual Nervousness: This is how joyful a military draft can be
By Coconuts Bangkok

Screen-Shot-2556-04-05-at-2.31.24-PM-578

BANGKOK: -- Early April is the time of year when healthy Thai men, aged 21 to 30 and having never attended the Ror Dor military school, need to participate in the military draft. Since the process involves drawing a colored card that dictates one’s exemption from or admission to the military, there is quite a bit of anticipation surrounding the process.

In this YouTube video clip, uploaded on Apr. 4, a man seems very nervous about his lottery selection and later overjoyed after learning that he is exempted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=WvWEl0o4Y3o

His reaction clearly displays a lack of enthusiasm at the prospect of joining the army. The drafting rule is that if he directly volunteers, he serves only for six months.

Full story: http://www.coconutsbangkok.com/random/annual-nervousness-this-is-how-joyful-a-military-draft-can-be/

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-04-06

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A waste of time and money , the Generals don't want them and they don't want to be there ,time for the government to overhaul the military , tradition is one thing, this out of date custom, interfered with the son's Uni education, so much so that he stopped three language studies, as the Army couldn't provide that in their system, he could be now working International at an embassy , as an interpreter , mind you he has a great citation from the UN for the time in Timor , when he and the mad Major got into a fire fight, he put it away and i have never seen it since.

• Like 1

Generals etc, here top army, pop 60,000,000, UK eqiv ----APPROX 200 Thailand 2,000. FOR WHAT.

secondly,exemp---medical ---sex change, or equiv----ALSO you can PAY not to go in. other reasons explained.

Personally It would make sense to have voluntary draft, surely at a reasonable income a per-cent would volunteer, fulfilling the required places.

As stated a complete overall of the ( call-up ) needs updating, as so many who have reasonable jobs eventually have to go to the LOTTERY style of compulsary gamble----I thought gambling was illegal.

I can't help thinking that a short term of military service can be a positive thing.

I was discussing this last night with my son after seeing that video clip on a Thai website, he isn't too keen on the idea and I think it's expected that I'd just pay to have him exempted, but I think it would do him good if he has to do it. I understand that at age 21 it may be difficult to see it that way.

I never did any time in any of the armed forces, and it's one of my few real regrets in life.

I know some people are exempt anyway, such as transgendered. How about children of Thai/Foreign parents?

Edited by technologybytes
  • Like 1

Friends' son is into his second year; started on 9.000 baht a month with board/lodging/clothes supplied, now he's on about 11,000 month (and basic rate increased to 9,500).

Military make a salary monthly deduction that is handed over when he leaves, but he's able to save far more; not saying it suits all, but for him it has been a good option and wouldn't surprise if he 'signs on'.

I can't help thinking that a short term of military service can be a positive thing.

I was discussing this last night with my son after seeing that video clip on a Thai website, he isn't too keen on the idea and I think it's expected that I'd just pay to have him exempted, but I think it would do him good if he has to do it. I understand that at age 21 it may be difficult to see it that way.

I never did any time in any of the armed forces, and it's one of my few real regrets in life.

I know some people are exempt anyway, such as transgendered. How about children of Thai/Foreign parents?

Your right nothing wrong with it...I was drafted for 2 years...didnt like it at the time, but afterwards didnt regret I had done it..

Having been through basic training and the subsequent years of grief as a volunteer who wanted to do it I can't imagine how it must feel to be forced in against your will. It's not like Israel either where your service is both professional and required, the conscripts do little that is beneficial during their extremely short term of service, I can not see the benefit of "training" someone to the 2 or 3 year mark where they may actually start to become a valuable soldier and then turn them loose.

i have seen decent people turned into not so smart people after the joined the service.

better pay to have him exempted.

I can not see the benefit of "training" someone to the 2 or 3 year mark where they may actually start to become a valuable soldier and then turn them loose.

We got 6 weeks basics and were thrown into a low keywar, call up/draft/national service whatever you want to call it, typically the goal has nothing to do with turning anybody in valuable soldier... its to provide bodies who can fire weapons at people they dont like, no more no less...biggrin.png

Once you have completed your time you could always be called up again and they dont need to train you..

i have seen decent people turned into not so smart people after the joined the service.

Your comment here is different agian, Your first sentence is spot on, and my main feelings are expressed before hitting at the system to WHY. As I said WE cannot change anything -we only give our HONEST thoughts.

try to understand this rather than ATTACK. .

• Like 1

Generals etc, here top army, pop 60,000,000, UK eqiv ----APPROX 200 Thailand 2,000. FOR WHAT.

secondly,exemp---medical ---sex change, or equiv----ALSO you can PAY not to go in. other reasons explained.

Personally It would make sense to have voluntary draft, surely at a reasonable income a per-cent would volunteer, fulfilling the required places.

As stated a complete overall of the ( call-up ) needs updating, as so many who have reasonable jobs eventually have to go to the LOTTERY style of compulsary gamble----I thought gambling was illegal.

There is ONLY 1700 generals in Thailand..... :-) Actually I just had a flash. With so many generals , the government could easily stop the draft, give weapons to the generals and press them into service when war breaks out. Although they probably would not like being on duty in south Thailand...
  • Like 1

There is ONLY 1700 generals in Thailand..... :-) Actually I just had a flash. With so many generals , the government could easily stop the draft, give weapons to the generals and press them into service when war breaks out. Although they probably would not like being on duty in south Thailand...

Hey I did say approx---but Navy and Air force they count, Your Idea about getting them on the front line instead of doing LITTLE, as far as I can see What do the near 2,000 do every day ??? Feel sorry for the kids that didn't do the school bit to make them exempt---the parents must have thought it wasn't important.

i doubt the happy guy is concerned about the number of generals per total population ratio in thailand compared with the UK.

Why feel some falang always the need to lecture Thais and tell them they need updates and change there and there so that it is like in the UK?

Zhou Zhou, you're continued ignorance about farang attacking THE THAI SYSTEM is becoming irritable!

Do you really believe Thailand doesn't need continued updates and change, in order to leave the league of third world countries?

Whether it be military, sanitary, emotionally, corruptly etc., and the list could go on infinitum, do you REALLY believe no changes are necessary in Thailand?

You're quite happy with you're lot?

Of course changes are necessary. How many times have you, indeed, visited Western countries such as the UK and America?

Have you experienced the safety and cleanliness? No over-head wires that kill people in floods; no shitty smells from drains (as they are closed in pipes) would just be two simple examples of many countless examples.

What's your problem with farang advice, and comments, for 'up-levelling' Thailand's infrastructure and systems?

It seems you take advice in what I would deem a very personal and tangential way of accepting that change is necessary.

Wouldn't you agree?

-mel.

• Like 2

i doubt the happy guy is concerned about the number of generals per total population ratio in thailand compared with the UK.

Why feel some falang always the need to lecture Thais and tell them they need updates and change there and there so that it is like in the UK?

Zhou Zhou, you're continued ignorance about farang attacking THE THAI SYSTEM is becoming irritable!

Do you really believe Thailand doesn't need continued updates and change, in order to leave the league of third world countries?

Whether it be military, sanitary, emotionally, corruptly etc., and the list could go on infinitum, do you REALLY believe no changes are necessary in Thailand?

Of course changes are necessary. How many times have you, indeed, visited Western countries such as the UK and America?

Have you experienced the safety and cleanliness? No over-head wires that kill people in floods; no shitty smells from drains (as they are closed in pipes) would just be two simple examples of many countless examples.

What's your problem with farang advice, and comments, for 'up-levelling' Thailand's infrastructure and systems?

It seems you take advice in what I would deem a very personal and tangential way of accepting that change is necessary.

Wouldn't you agree?

-mel.

the question is if "we" need that in every thread here at the forum.

that guy is happy. he don't have to go to the army.

who cares about the number of general in this moment?

those who are deeply and honestly concerned about Thailands future or just those who will find all the time a reason to start bitching.

Edited by ZhouZhou
  • Like 1

It is a great experience. I was in the military for four years and it changed me for the better.

I've heard conflicting things about children of Thai/foreign parents but I think it may have to do with residency and obviously citizenship. Although I remember reading a letter to the editor in the Bangkok Post about a year ago from a woman complaining that her son (father is foreign) couldn't get citizenship but he was nonetheless drafted.

Wouldn't you agree?

-mel.

those who are deeply and honestly concerned about Thailands future or just those who will find all the time a reason to start bitching.

You do not read answers, repeating the bit about the kid being happy----I said I would be overjoyed if I was him--but naturally you overlooked that bit. Have you a phobia about constructive critisizm ??? MEL 1 summed it up for me. your debate on matters are non existant, only interest for you is this thing you have about TVF posters that show good honest comments. gonna get a coffee - why not show some flexibility ???

Wouldn't you agree?

-mel.

Well from what I observe, in many many a post, in many many a thread, is that the only person 'bitching' about farang posts in this farang forum is primarily yourself.

Do you consider the perspective of where you place yourself, and the reactions you elicit?

I have no problem with you, personally, but the continued decadence that you motivate against farang is worrying.

Those of us that live here legally, and with work permits, bringing improvements to a country you alledgedly adore, seem to be the people you directly attempt to minimalise constructive comments against.

Why would that be?

-mel.

Edited by MEL1

Well I can't speak for anyone else, but I spent 9yrs in the Andrew and wish I'd stayed longer. Mind you, that was in the mid 60's when we still had a decent navy and bases abroad. Began my love affair with Thailand while visiting Bang Saen, Pattaya & B'kok on a visit on the Hampshire in '66. Serving in the armed forces can be a great adventure, certainly meeting heaps more girls than your mates in civvy street, a good trade can be learnt while earning a decent wage, though, as said before, it aint for everyone.

And as for your first remark, I've seen many half decent people turned into very decent, and much wiser and skilful people, by service.

• Like 1

A waste of time and money , the Generals don't want them and they don't want to be there ,time for the government to overhaul the military , tradition is one thing, this out of date custom, interfered with the son's Uni education, so much so that he stopped three language studies, as the Army couldn't provide that in their system, he could be now working International at an embassy , as an interpreter , mind you he has a great citation from the UN for the time in Timor , when he and the mad Major got into a fire fight, he put it away and i have never seen it since.

Actually for a nation of lazy people where laziness is THE penultimate problem for Thailand (ie: its the cause of corruption and most other problems). Military service for pretty much all would really improve things, There is nothing like boot camp to wash the laziness out of people.

• Like 2

Your right nothing wrong with it...I was drafted for 2 years...didnt like it at the time, but afterwards didnt regret I had done it..

It's not so much being drafted that is the issue in thailand. It's the possibility of being sent to the deep South where the soldiers are fodder. My gf's brother has to do the 'red ball, black ball' bit tomorrow, and I'm worried for him for this reason alone.

[The other thing is that he just finished his diploma in mechanics. Unless the army puts him into some sort of mechanics corps, that learning will be wasted when he comes out]

done my 2 years of conscription in singapore, a different and lesser experience compared to many of the folks here

i had quite afew joint exercises with the local military here, and what seen cant be unseen. all i could say is that, if i had a child, i would do everything to get him exempted, or rather him serve in singapore for whole 2 years than a volunteered 6 months here

I've never been in the Thai armed forces and know very few people who are. Having said that.. I spent 10 years in the USMC and I'm positive it made a better person of me. This was in the 60's including 2 tours in Vietnam. I don't see anything wrong with doing some military service. As long as you have a decent attitude about it. If you do your military service bitchin and moanin for 2 years, what good has that done you. I'm of the school who believes everyone should serve the country he or she was born to. It most ceretainly gives you a different outlook on life. I remember the South Vietnamese military, of about 90% who didn't want to be there. They were pretty much useless. Look at the difference between the North Vietnamese army and the South. It was a joke. If you don't love your country enough to defend it, then you should go find another country to call home. Look at the US military forces today. Their the best trained, best equipped army on the face of the planet. And fortunately today, most of them are in some field that they can use after their military service, not like in my day. So I guess what I'm trying to say about the Thai draft, screw em, draft em all. w00t.gif

Edited by metisdead
: Font
  • Like 2