Crow Royal Whiskey

tavarich

Asians seem to prefer blended whiskies to single malts for some strange,unknown reason?Probably down to ignorance more than anything,price means face so they charge more for Chivas Regal/Johnny Walker than the good stuff! blink.png

booze snobs are funny,..... single malt, blended, .....by the way Chris Hitchens chose J.W. black as his favorite ........ was he "ignorant" ?

A decent blended whisky that's not too expensive, try 100 Pipers.

Also try 'The Singleton' a Glen Ord malt. Not expensive and quite good.

My opinion FWIW ref blended whisky is that 99% are ok. What I don't understand is the way it's drunk over here. 2 cc's of whisky 8 ice cubes and then filled with water. If you can actually taste the whisky then you're a better man than me Gunga Din.smile.png

My opinion FWIW ref blended whisky is that 99% are ok. What I don't understand is the way it's drunk over here. 2 cc's of whisky 8 ice cubes and then filled with water. If you can actually taste the whisky then you're a better man than me Gunga Din.smile.png

Correction: ice cubes, water AND coke!

You're MIXING with the HiSo then ?

You're MIXING with the HiSo then ?

Hell yeah!! I sure do! thumbsup.gif

Try Hong Thong.

Be the first falang to drink it and give us a report of your findings:D

Not a true falang, since i'm not caucasian, but I did, and do. Like all Thai spirits I've tried, its not bad! smile.png not great, but not bad. drinkable. again IMO mostly as a mixer. Drinking it neat takes some work. With a diet coke back, its not bad. Better with an ice cube. but then again, i say the same thing about Johhy W. black (or any of the JW varieties, and this is MUCH cheaper biggrin.png

Cant figure out what it is tho. the book says its a "mixture of spirits". I read that as "don't ask", just enjoy the cheap beverage! lol

Still missing my Laphroaig sad.png

Edited by jamhar
  • Like 1

I am a big whisky drinker and am an absolute believer that whisky should be drunk straight, and not mixed. Therefore, my criteria for a decent whisky is that you can drink it straight, it goes down smoothly, and is a pleasure on the palate; 100 pipers certainly doesn't do any of those thing. It's harsh and tastes <deleted>.

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. If you want to drink whisky, put your hand in your pocket and buy a proper one; the pleasure you will derive from it is worth the extra pennies.

• Like 2

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. If you want to drink whisky, put your hand in your pocket and buy a proper one; the pleasure you will derive from it is worth the extra pennies.
I agree about the neat portion. I try all spirits neat first. If it stands up to my standards, i'll drink it neat.
If not, add a cube (never water, or club soda). If its not worth it, then add some diet coke with the ice lol.
One exception to that. I really do like a myers dark rum with OJ. dont know why. barbancourt rum - neat, appleton rum - neat, crown royal(not bad for a blended) - neat, basically if its not neat, its not on my first choice list.
BUT
A Lagavulin double cask, or a Laphroaig 15 will set you back more than just a couple pennies :(
so for an everyday cocktail spirits (for mixers, or with ice), the Thai spirits arent bad, and def. worth it for the price.
With the exception of the local tequila they have here.
What ever they used may have been blue, but it wasn't no damned Agave!sick.gif

Sorry about the above post, the text box quoteint got all screwed up. What looks like the first paragraph in my response should have been a quote. I tried to edit but it was unrecoverable above :(

The edit function for the quotes isn't idiot proof (meaning meblink.png )

PS, a quick note to the admin. the text format edit and smilies edit bar isnt functional in firefox for me. I dont know about anyone else. I did have script block on, but disabled it to see if it aided the edit tool box but it didnt :(

just an FYI.