Importing A Car

I think the government banned the import of used cars last year ( see http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Ban-on-imports-of-used-vehicles-30180164.html )

Previous to that the duty was around 3 times the value that customs placed upon it, and you had to get an import licence before it was shipped.

You were only told of the total duty after the vehicle had arrived in Thailand.

Has been discussed many times on this board, the general opinion is .. not worth it. Unless your father in law is head of customs.

The prospects are somewhere between grim & impossible. I looked into this a couple of years ago as a business venture (as opposed to importing your personal car). Corruption on the waterfront is rampant; you will have to pay bribes according to their assessment of your ability to pay, and in general can expect fees to be so usurious that you end up abandoning the car, which is their intent all along. There is a criminal mafia element involved as well, and if you get too belligerent in asserting your "rights" can find yourself in a truly dangerous situation.

• Like 1

Please do a search here. This question has been asked many times.

Conclusion: nobody knows the exact amount, but it will be very, very expensive and not worth the money and effort.

Based upon the OP it seems that he is in for a nightmare if he tried to go forward with this.

I have put a link to customs website below, but it seems like the below is a show stopper, as you can not by a second hand car to import into Thailand but if second hand, you need to have owned it in Farangland and then bring it with you when you move (if you qualify and are wiling to jump through all the hoops)

.,,...Also the importer has to own and possess the imported vehicle for at least one and a half year while staying abroad, from the date of transferring the ownership to the date of arrival into Thailand.....

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+personal+vehicle/importingpersonalvehicle+

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

For the love of God...make this topic a sticky.

Second that, maybe take down MRO's "driving through the floods" sticky (he's not posting anymore anyways whistling.gifthumbsup.gif ) and post up a related one but maybe not THIS thread as there are many better suited IMO..

I don't think it will make it easier. Customs duty and fees will get assessed after the car arrives in Thailand, you pay it and drive off with the car. Quite simple really. Please see also post #4.

Sent from my Android tablet

Are these comments mainly related to old cars.

If we are talking about a 2012 model porche cayenne does it make it easier?

Yes, yes it does actually,

it makes easier for them to relieve you of it at customs rolleyes.gifcoffee1.gif ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Are these comments mainly related to old cars.

If we are talking about a 2012 model porche cayenne does it make it easier?

Yes, because that means no tax reductions because of age.

Here's how it should be assessed:

(Cost + Insurance + Freight) * 1.8 * 2.11 * 1.07

(CIF / Import Duty / Excise and Interior tax / VAT)

Here's how it will very likely be assessed:

"Has he given up yet?"

Also, note that the local Porsche distributor won't want to know anything about your gray import when it has a problem...

Edited by IMHO

For customs, the difference is "new" or "Second hand"

If new, meaning bought from dealer "new" and shipped to you, much easier

If second hand, meaning bought from another person or used car dealership or owned and registered by you overseas, then much more difficult

In either case, the import duty will be high, but if second hand, then you will need to apply for import permit(s) as well

So if 2012 bought from Porche dealership directly, first hand. And then immediately shipped to Thailand, then easier

If 2012 bought 9 months ago or buying second hand from a guy who bought it last year.... Then you will have a problem

Also easier if over 3,500 kg... As then no import permit needed from Industrial Standards institute

So forget the Porshe 911, go for the Hummer H2

Edited by CWMcMurray

So if 2012 bought from Porche dealership directly, first hand. And then immediately shipped to Thailand, then easier

Only easier to get an import permit for it - no easier on your pocket.

Correct... But he was asking about "easier" rather than cheaper

Although if by a new car and concerned about the ease of import... The easiest way is to by from the dealer in Thailand

Correct... But he was asking about "easier" rather than cheaper

Although if by a new car and concerned about the ease of import... The easiest way is to by from the dealer in Thailand

Well, the import certificate isn't all that hard either way - compared to the hardships that start once it lands here .... ;)

I looked in to importing my 3 year old Mazda MX5, MK3.5 sport tech, my Thai friend runs a MX5 servicing shop in Bangkok, and owns 3 MK 1's, anyway........

Bear in mind the value of this car new is £21K, 3 year old £12500 to £14k, dealership/private, we made some enquiries as to the tax on import........well put it this way, I can buy a another MX5 in the UK........, and we never got a straight answer, and my Thai friend (he has imported 2 cars in from japan this year) was pulling some strings as well! Paperwork, oh don't even get me started in that!

So needless to say, I sold it in the UK.

Best of luck if you decide to bring it in, but have been told the older the car the less tax.