King's Palace Scams

Anyone who blames another for falling for a scam is delusional because for 100% sure they themselves have fallen for scams that many other people would never fall for. So we could just as easily laugh at you but we instead have threads like this as a service to others. And the funny thing is people commenting on this scam don't even know how it works. The trap is far more sophisticated than a group of tuk tuk drivers at the entrance trying to bring people to gem shops or any other such ripoff places. Nor does it involve any well dressed people speaking perfect English. What really impressed me was seeing how they successfully thwarted a Thai citizen from going in.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the best deterrents I have found to scammers is to speak to them in Thai. Even though my Thai is not great, it is above tourist level. Once they figure out I am not a tourist ("Thank you. I live in Chiang Mai (or Thailand) and come to Bangkok often." or something similar) usually shuts down the scam quickly. Another reason to learn Thai if you are going to live in Thailand.

David

Anyone who blames another for falling for a scam is delusional because for 100% sure they themselves have fallen for scams that many other people would never fall for. So we could just as easily laugh at you but we instead have threads like this as a service to others. And the funny thing is people commenting on this scam don't even know how it works. The trap is far more sophisticated than a group of tuk tuk drivers at the entrance trying to bring people to gem shops or any other such ripoff places. Nor does it involve any well dressed people speaking perfect English. What really impressed me was seeing how they successfully thwarted a Thai citizen from going in.

Interestingly My wife was with us. She has been a sucessful business lady and lived in BKK for many many years. We went to the Kings Palace on Friday afternoon and were fronted by them and she fell for it. It was only on the Saturday Morning that she smelt something fishy and then laid into them and finally the bloke said ok ok go in!! So it happens to Thais as well

One of the best deterrents I have found to scammers is to speak to them in Thai. Even though my Thai is not great, it is above tourist level. Once they figure out I am not a tourist ("Thank you. I live in Chiang Mai (or Thailand) and come to Bangkok often." or something similar) usually shuts down the scam quickly. Another reason to learn Thai if you are going to live in Thailand.

David

I tried that several years ago and told the man I lived in Chaing Mai, he responded in English by saying, sure and I live in Beverley Hills, too funny!

Interestingly My wife was with us. She has been a sucessful business lady and lived in BKK for many many years. We went to the Kings Palace on Friday afternoon and were fronted by them and she fell for it. It was only on the Saturday Morning that she smelt something fishy and then laid into them and finally the bloke said ok ok go in!! So it happens to Thais as well

Hmmm... Not so sure that it didn't happen to you and your wife because you are not Thai. They may have assumed (and I intend no disrespect to you and am not making any suggestions about you or your wife) that you were the typical Thai less educated, bar girl or similar and Western man couple. And, if that was the case, however misguided such a determination might be, that surely could have been the reason. Sometimes the bar girls play into the scam -- after all, why would they care.

I doubt very highly that they would target Thai/Thai couples or Thais entering alone... Very highly doubt that one -- particular at this particular venue.

So, I don't think it happens to Thais as well (in any significant numbers). This is made special for non-Thais.

Hmmm... Not so sure that it didn't happen to you and your wife because you are not Thai. They may have assumed (and I intend no disrespect to you and am not making any suggestions about you or your wife) that you were the typical Thai less educated, bar girl or similar and Western man couple. And, if that was the case, however misguided such a determination might be, that surely could have been the reason. Sometimes the bar girls play into the scam -- after all, why would they care.

I doubt very highly that they would target Thai/Thai couples or Thais entering alone... Very highly doubt that one -- particular at this particular venue.

So, I don't think it happens to Thais as well (in any significant numbers). This is made special for non-Thais.

My dear wife is far from a bar girl but never the less I dont disagree that they target farang rather than the thai people but they did talk to her and only when they were shoving their tour card in our faces did they talk with us. We have been to most places in BKK so it was a waste of their time but still it was frustrating to say the least.

We live with 2 * 3 star generals in a small (21 home) estate as well as know 3 police (one of which is quite high ranking) and we mentioned it to them, I suspect nothing will happen but it is alwasy good to let the locals know

Edited by chrisfwilson

You should watch this episode on Scam City Discovery Channel, it describes that mafia near the temples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nRxvFs3DUg

Nice programme. The girl, Tawan, was quite interesting but rather dumpy and obviously not a university student as she claimed. Guess they must have paid her something to compensate for the risk that one or more of her bfs would see the programme and cut off her income or maybe just vanity wanting to be filmed and tell people how clever she is.

The reporter missed the Bossy Pub scam that was staring him in the face in the form of the sticker filmed on the tuk tuk. LoL.

Tell me more about the Bossy Pub scam please.

This is unfortunately a common issue with most tourst spots in the kingdom.

You will also find the numerous of so called official guids who will for a payment, guide around and talk about the various thigs you might see.

In the end you are meeting some vendors wanting to se you all kinds of crap.

As much as I love this place, money making is taking precedence over any other issues in the kingdom.

Even their beloved Buddhism and other, which we can not mention, take 2nd seat to money making.

Don't knock all the guides. some of them are honest and actually know their stuff. I stress *some*.

Gf is one of those official guides but she makes it clear that going to places like shops is part of the free package. No pressure to buy something but the fuel and hire of a van is often paid for by those shops. Same as her salary comes from the commission. Nothing wrong with that as long as you know that upfront.

She only does those trips sometimes when nothing else is done often booked by hotels or agencies. Sometimes she gets lucky and someone buys something and makes it worth her wile other days she just gets 500bt (not much considering travel expenses)

No doubt, the real Official Guides are actually worth hiring.

Unfortunately, there are, as the rest here, a lot of fakes.

One of the oldest scams going around.

I remember when I was dating a Thai chick a few years back that we went to visit. She was an art student and wanted to go there to do some drawing. I had been a few times in the past to show friends and family around and knew the score, yet it was her first time.

When we walk towards the gate a man stops me and tells me the palace is closed for some Buddha day. I just laugh and keep walking. My date suddenly gets sad and truly believes it is shut. I was in disbelief she could fall for this considering it is her country and she is buddhist. She got a bit stroppy with me as she thought I was laughing at her expense because the place was closed!

You should have seen her face when we walked in and she realized what just happened.